BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-11-30 11:53 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by rrrunner

Well I guess I'm commited (or should be commited):

Order Number: 718871 - Monday Nov. 30, 2015 9:27 AM
Terresa Lato
Rio Rancho, NM
Behind the Rocks Ultra
50K - Registration
April 2, 2016   

WOW!!!!  Exciting and a bit scary, I'm sure!  The scary part means you've chosen an apt challenge 

2015-11-30 12:23 PM

User image

Seattle

Terresa Lato
Rio Rancho, NM
Behind the Rocks Ultra
50K - Registration
April 2, 2016   

Awesome!

2015-11-30 12:27 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Terresa Lato
Rio Rancho, NM
Behind the Rocks Ultra
50K - Registration
April 2, 2016   

Very nice!!
2015-11-30 12:28 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by melbo55

Hey, kids!  I've returned from the Land of Limited Cell/Internet Service (WV) and have survived the Payton family Thanksgiving.  Since I was in WV, I couldn't do the race I signed up for in PA, but we did do a little 5K while visiting.  It was interesting, to say the least.  Extremely low-key, which I suppose is to be expected from the region where we were.  Maybe 100 entrants?  Less, probably; more, definitely not.  Safety pin and hand-written number on a 5" x 7" piece of paper = bib#.  No maps, no marshals at turns, no police, no real start/finish line.  Directions included, "...turn right at the NEW stop sign..."  Needless to say, I made sure I kept a local ahead of me at all times! Timing was from a  running stopwatch and the same guy reading off numbers as we crossed an invisible finish line. I don't think results get posted anywhere, not that I want that calamity recorded for posterity!  Not my best 5K ever, but not my worst, either.

Sounds like a great event!
2015-11-30 2:15 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Terresa Lato
Rio Rancho, NM
Behind the Rocks Ultra
50K - Registration
April 2, 2016   

I expect that to be epically awesome! I'm dying here 

2015-11-30 2:15 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado

Hey, kids!  I've returned from the Land of Limited Cell/Internet Service (WV) and have survived the Payton family Thanksgiving.  Since I was in WV, I couldn't do the race I signed up for in PA, but we did do a little 5K while visiting.  It was interesting, to say the least.  Extremely low-key, which I suppose is to be expected from the region where we were.  Maybe 100 entrants?  Less, probably; more, definitely not.  Safety pin and hand-written number on a 5" x 7" piece of paper = bib#.  No maps, no marshals at turns, no police, no real start/finish line.  Directions included, "...turn right at the NEW stop sign..."  Needless to say, I made sure I kept a local ahead of me at all times! Timing was from a  running stopwatch and the same guy reading off numbers as we crossed an invisible finish line. I don't think results get posted anywhere, not that I want that calamity recorded for posterity!  Not my best 5K ever, but not my worst, either.

That sounds so cool! I think we all got used to the fancy-shmancy, organized-to-perfection races, that we sometimes forget the race is all about running
Last summer I went to Poland, my country, only for one week, and I was able to find a local race during that short time. Everyone thought I was crazy, especially since it was a night after my 12 hours flight, but I was really happy I could have experienced something different. The race was super local, and it was on the farmland. The only disadvantage was the smell of the recently "distributed" cows' poop (I have no idea what the English word would be for that thing) all over the crop fields. No timing chips, no sophisticated start and finish line, directions were also "go there and come back." Very simple, and there was also less than 100 participants.
On the other hand, we had free massage (that was required for all runners!) and tons of homemade (really homemade) traditional food made by local folks. It was so yummy... The medals were handmade by local kids (I think it was clay). The cost of the event was a donation that benefited local hospice. Just another reason to participate. Oh, and folks from the village were riding bikes and giving us bottled water - never had that in Chicago.
I hope you had a great time

Mary

2015-11-30 2:16 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by laffinrock

Well, okay, I thought my last post had covered everything.  However, I just found an EPIC article that I had to share.  OMG! The Hyperbole of Internet-Speak from the New York Times.  OGM, literally dying!

You just killed me. To death.
2015-11-30 2:32 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by marysia83

That sounds so cool! I think we all got used to the fancy-shmancy, organized-to-perfection races, that we sometimes forget the race is all about running Last summer I went to Poland, my country, only for one week, and I was able to find a local race during that short time. Everyone thought I was crazy, especially since it was a night after my 12 hours flight, but I was really happy I could have experienced something different. The race was super local, and it was on the farmland. The only disadvantage was the smell of the recently "distributed" cows' poop (I have no idea what the English word would be for that thing) all over the crop fields. No timing chips, no sophisticated start and finish line, directions were also "go there and come back." Very simple, and there was also less than 100 participants. On the other hand, we had free massage (that was required for all runners!) and tons of homemade (really homemade) traditional food made by local folks. It was so yummy... The medals were handmade by local kids (I think it was clay). The cost of the event was a donation that benefited local hospice. Just another reason to participate. Oh, and folks from the village were riding bikes and giving us bottled water - never had that in Chicago. I hope you had a great time Mary

Ha, we call that manure.

And taking a 180* turn to the Polish food topic... I made pierogies for DS1 yesterday. He could eat them every meal, every day.  It was my first time making them  but it's super easy and they are so much better than the store-bought stuff.  He wants me to make Paczki for a thing he has at school next week.  It's been a looooong time since i made him treats for school  

2015-11-30 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving (or, if you are not in the US, a Terrific Thursday).  I enjoyed the long weekend.  Now it's back for a few more five day weeks before the next holiday...

Ben - Excellent news about the staples coming out and the recumbant/elliptical approval!  Progress!

Karen - I hope that the  tricep cramping situation has improved and you can get back to swimming.

Robin - I'm glad that Santa is taking care of the Garmin situation!  Congrats on Endurance House team membership!

Mary S. - Thanks for sharing that EPIC article!

Mary G. - How'd the turkey turn out?

Melanie - Glad that you survived WV and didn't get lost during the race :-D

TJ - Congrats on signing up for your first ultra!

Ann-Marie - Awaiting a Gunnar update

2015-11-30 2:40 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hope all the US manatees enjoyed the long thanksgiving weekend!  My race went really well; probably my strongest effort in a year! I'm not exactly where I'd like to be with my run, but this race told me I'm not too far off.  I was lucky enough to win my AG and it was probably the biggest AG I've ever won or placed in, so I am happy.  For those who have time to kill, here's the Race Report!

2015-11-30 2:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by marysia83

That sounds so cool! I think we all got used to the fancy-shmancy, organized-to-perfection races, that we sometimes forget the race is all about running Last summer I went to Poland, my country, only for one week, and I was able to find a local race during that short time. Everyone thought I was crazy, especially since it was a night after my 12 hours flight, but I was really happy I could have experienced something different. The race was super local, and it was on the farmland. The only disadvantage was the smell of the recently "distributed" cows' poop (I have no idea what the English word would be for that thing) all over the crop fields. No timing chips, no sophisticated start and finish line, directions were also "go there and come back." Very simple, and there was also less than 100 participants. On the other hand, we had free massage (that was required for all runners!) and tons of homemade (really homemade) traditional food made by local folks. It was so yummy... The medals were handmade by local kids (I think it was clay). The cost of the event was a donation that benefited local hospice. Just another reason to participate. Oh, and folks from the village were riding bikes and giving us bottled water - never had that in Chicago. I hope you had a great time Mary

Ha, we call that manure.

And taking a 180* turn to the Polish food topic... I made pierogies for DS1 yesterday. He could eat them every meal, every day.  It was my first time making them  but it's super easy and they are so much better than the store-bought stuff.  He wants me to make Paczki for a thing he has at school next week.  It's been a looooong time since i made him treats for school  

Wow! Congrats on pierogi! It's interesting - every American person I know who made it said it was easy to make. When we were preparing it when I was younger, it was such a struggle... People hated making those and now are so happy that they can buy it at the store (which was not an option 20 years ago - why buying something if you can make it at home...?). My mom was doing over 100 just to have half of it "ok to eat". So you guys need to teach us your secret, apparently

I love making paczki, although, I don't remember the last time I did. And that's also an annual thing - for Fat Thursday, and that's it. Definitely let me know how it went
Mary

PS Thanks for the quick English lesson

Edited by marysia83 2015-11-30 2:47 PM

2015-11-30 2:48 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by amd723

Hope all the US manatees enjoyed the long thanksgiving weekend!  My race went really well; probably my strongest effort in a year! I'm not exactly where I'd like to be with my run, but this race told me I'm not too far off.  I was lucky enough to win my AG and it was probably the biggest AG I've ever won or placed in, so I am happy.  For those who have time to kill, here's the Race Report!

Congrats on the win!! This is fantastic!
Mary
2015-11-30 8:45 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL

Fun trying to use a reflection when doing therapy exercises. Are my shoulders really lined up? Is that swelling, the plate, or are they mismatched now? Everything is all lopsided!

2015-11-30 11:27 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by brigby1

Fun trying to use a reflection when doing therapy exercises. Are my shoulders really lined up? Is that swelling, the plate, or are they mismatched now? Everything is all lopsided!

you gotta find something to keep you occupied right. this is me when I am on the trainer, but from my shadow not a mirror. Are my shoulders level, is my back flat, have i dropped my heals, is my torso fairly still? amazing how these things can repeat around your brain for an hour.
2015-12-01 8:18 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK

you gotta find something to keep you occupied right. this is me when I am on the trainer, but from my shadow not a mirror. Are my shoulders level, is my back flat, have i dropped my heals, is my torso fairly still? amazing how these things can repeat around your brain for an hour.
Sometimes these seemingly little things can have a rather notable impact on progress though in this case I'm just having fun with the idea. Many lifts and exercises are best performed with squared shoulders, but how am *I* supposed to do that when they may or may not actually match up right now?

2015-12-01 9:23 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I think I'm finally awake from my turkey coma! HOORAY!!

Anybody score any great black friday or cyber monday deals? I really didn't find much. I got the power2max a few months back so I got screwed on that one

So I finally decided to get my obligatory MDot tattoo - ssshhh don't tell anyone :D

I hope to find lots of race reports - headed there now!

Happy DECEMBER!

2015-12-01 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Get rid of the circus mirror!

2015-12-01 9:56 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The Manatee's Evil Plan is working.  Kevin has referred to Zoe as Fluff Muffin.

2015-12-01 10:42 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I think I'm finally awake from my turkey coma! HOORAY!! Anybody score any great black friday or cyber monday deals? I really didn't find much. I got the power2max a few months back so I got screwed on that one So I finally decided to get my obligatory MDot tattoo - ssshhh don't tell anyone :D I hope to find lots of race reports - headed there now! Happy DECEMBER!

I didn't score any deals.  Of course, I didn't even look  Mums the word on your MDot tat!!

2015-12-01 10:43 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

The Manatee's Evil Plan is working.  Kevin has referred to Zoe as Fluff Muffin.

I love it when a plan comes together!!

2015-12-01 10:53 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Happy December everyone!
I did not spend a penny during the "hot deals season". I was thinking I would regret not taking the advantage of the greatest deals ever, but kept in mind I was saving for vacation. And for bunch of races next year.
I can't believe it's December..
Mary

2015-12-01 11:58 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I think I'm finally awake from my turkey coma! HOORAY!! Anybody score any great black friday or cyber monday deals? I really didn't find much. I got the power2max a few months back so I got screwed on that one So I finally decided to get my obligatory MDot tattoo - ssshhh don't tell anyone :D I hope to find lots of race reports - headed there now! Happy DECEMBER!

How are you liking the Power2max?  How was it to get setup?  I really want a powermeter for Xmas but have been undecided on which route to go.  I got pretty excited on the Watteam Powerbeat until seeing they are sold out on their first production run and the next wouldn't be until the spring. 

2015-12-01 12:25 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I didn't buy much over the weekend.  Just a few small things for my son.  He really wants that dog for xmas.  Finding it is going to be tough. 

2015-12-01 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

I didn't score any deals.  Of course, I didn't even look  Mums the word on your MDot tat!!

No go for me as well. We were looking at an action camera and decided it wouldn't get used, so why bother? It was kind of a funny discussion. I think the money will go to a pair of running shoes. 

2015-12-01 1:07 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

I tried skimming a bit to get "caught up" but that's not going to happen.

I think I had seen a question about treadmill running and making it more desirable (for lack of a better term.)

I feel your pain. These days, even running on the road can maybe seem a little dull or ordinary compared to running in this

But, due to a number of circumstances, we just can't always run in the remote mountain valleys f the North Cascades. So, the way I like to look at it is that roads, running paths, treadmills are all tools. They are there for us to make the running and racing we really enjoy possible.

I know, it doesn't change anything about the actual running on the treadmill, but trying to look at it a little different often helps.

In terms of the actual running on part, think of ways you can leverage the treadmill. What are the good things? The things that come to my mind are: consistent pacing, availability of water/food without having to carry it, not having to brave the elements, safety. So, given the things you come up with, build your treadmill session around those things. Maybe do a workout that requires you to maintain a consistent pace (like a tempo) or practice fueling/hydration options that you might not otherwise want to carry. Etc.

Those are just a few things that I do. And not to be preachy but it always helps to have a little context and remember how lucky we are that we GET to run at all! Or that we are fortunate enough to be able to run inside when it's crappy out. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 54185 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66595 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28036 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11841 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66305 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.