BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-12-01 1:17 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by marysia83 Happy December everyone! I did not spend a penny during the "hot deals season". I was thinking I would regret not taking the advantage of the greatest deals ever, but kept in mind I was saving for vacation. And for bunch of races next year. I can't believe it's December.. Mary

Awesome! I love it. That is great.

More important, it is giving Tuesday, you can spend money today! 

2015-12-01 1:37 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I think I'm finally awake from my turkey coma! HOORAY!! Anybody score any great black friday or cyber monday deals? I really didn't find much. I got the power2max a few months back so I got screwed on that one So I finally decided to get my obligatory MDot tattoo - ssshhh don't tell anyone :D I hope to find lots of race reports - headed there now! Happy DECEMBER!

I didn't score any deals.  Of course, I didn't even look  Mums the word on your MDot tat!!

No go for me as well. We were looking at an action camera and decided it wouldn't get used, so why bother? It was kind of a funny discussion. I think the money will go to a pair of running shoes. 

I had a GoPro a few years ago and never used it.  Seemed like a good idea but never really took off.  I ended up selling it cheap.

2015-12-01 1:40 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Those are some great thoughts on the treadmill Adrienne. 

2015-12-01 1:51 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by jmkizer

The Manatee's Evil Plan is working.  Kevin has referred to Zoe as Fluff Muffin.

Sure ge wasn't calling you? :D
2015-12-01 1:55 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I think I'm finally awake from my turkey coma! HOORAY!! Anybody score any great black friday or cyber monday deals? I really didn't find much. I got the power2max a few months back so I got screwed on that one So I finally decided to get my obligatory MDot tattoo - ssshhh don't tell anyone :D I hope to find lots of race reports - headed there now! Happy DECEMBER!

Tattoo pics??? I love seeing other people's tattoos

Last year my family implemented a "give one, get one" gift philosophy for adults, which I am so grateful for. Only one gift to buy. Done. We decided the stress and financial impact of individually purchasing gifts for each person was not the direction we wanted our family to go, and we would much rather focus on spending time together - it was such a big hit last year that we're doing it again - woohooo!

All that to say I was not frantically shopping for deals - all though I did get on Amazon and ended up buying myself a cookware set for 66% off . I was planning on buying it in February but decided saving $225 was a pretty good reason to pull the trigger a few months early.

Does anyone have boys in their family who are pre-teen/teenagers? Any great gift ideas? We still do normal volume gifts for the kids in my family and there are only two - both boys and ages 11 and 14 - who are not giving any gift ideas whatsoever (bless them, they are trying to be humble and not greedy, I love that)! I've even asked their parents and they are stumped as well.

2015-12-01 2:13 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by lisac957

Last year my family implemented a "give one, get one" gift philosophy for adults, which I am so grateful for. Only one gift to buy. Done. We decided the stress and financial impact of individually purchasing gifts for each person was not the direction we wanted our family to go, and we would much rather focus on spending time together - it was such a big hit last year that we're doing it again - woohooo!

All that to say I was not frantically shopping for deals - all though I did get on Amazon and ended up buying myself a cookware set for 66% off . I was planning on buying it in February but decided saving $225 was a pretty good reason to pull the trigger a few months early.

Does anyone have boys in their family who are pre-teen/teenagers? Any great gift ideas? We still do normal volume gifts for the kids in my family and there are only two - both boys and ages 11 and 14 - who are not giving any gift ideas whatsoever (bless them, they are trying to be humble and not greedy, I love that)! I've even asked their parents and they are stumped as well.

My 10 year old son is easy to shop for and I've already picked him up a few things.  I find that kids that age can be tough and have a very wide range of interests.  Other than a dog, he wanted upgraded components for his remote control car, a book (Snow Treasure) which is oldie that I loved as a child, a video game, and a kit to build a remote control hydroplane.

What hobbies or interests do the 11 and 14 year olds have?

My parents gave up on trying to figure out what specifically to get folks and they now give gift cards.  Kind of impersonal but it does beat an ugly tie.

2015-12-01 2:24 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by popsracer

My 10 year old son is easy to shop for and I've already picked him up a few things.  I find that kids that age can be tough and have a very wide range of interests.  Other than a dog, he wanted upgraded components for his remote control car, a book (Snow Treasure) which is oldie that I loved as a child, a video game, and a kit to build a remote control hydroplane.

My parents gave up on trying to figure out what specifically to get folks and they now give gift cards.  Kind of impersonal but it does beat an ugly tie.

They have really specialized hobbies - one is a gymnast and the other is a drummer. But I would never be able to pick out anything either of them really needed for those things, ya know? They aren't gamers, and both are set with i-devices and electronics. Mom said they always like "clothes" but I have visions of them returning anything I buy (I did at their age!) and I did that last year, so maybe a gift card is in order...

I did price hoverboards but they are a bit over my budget

2015-12-01 2:28 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

My friend has a huge family: 10 siblings, more than half of them are married with kids. Plus parents. For the last few years (or even more) they just do the lottery for adults - this way everyone buys one, and gets one. I don't remember what they did for the kids - I think everyone bought only for their kids, so there is no child with more/less gifts.
My friends' parents are not the richest (hey, they had to rise 10 kids...) and they cook for 20+ people for holidays, so they are exempt from buying. They get sweets for children though.
Mary
2015-12-01 2:29 PM

User image

Seattle

I had mentioned that I am in a funny spot with my training.

This is sort of a bio/explanation so, grab a beer because it might be long. Before I get started, what I am looking for is maybe some direction in what to do about my quality workouts.

Background: I started running at the end of 2011 and found I really enjoyed it. I gradually increased my volume and ran some marathons. From there I joined a club. The club is open to all but is really s a very competitive club, geared towards development of elite athletes and Olympians (I didn't know that at the time.) I am neither. Even though I am neither, it is fantastic to be able to be pushed each week by runners who are much better than I. 

I have always tried to really balance my training with my joy for running. It started to all feel a little too competitive and stuffy so I took a step back. I took the summer off of workouts and did a trail running series and ended up falling in love with trail and mountain running. I did several running mountain ascents as well as a big 100 mile run on the Pacific Crest Trail. Here was my race schedule from the past year (sorry its a cut and past from my training log so it has extraneous details)

Jan 3: 25K Tiger Mountain Loop First trail race in the book! Lots to learn. Not a real race but I was towards the FOP.
Jan 17: Capitol Peak Mega Fat 17 Mile Trail Run Second overall woman, really fun! Lots to learn
Jan 24-25: Mt. St. Helens Ascent
Feb 22: Lord Hill 5 mile 1 Overall Woman, 2nd all
March 7: Lake Samammish Half Marathon 11th Overall Woman, 1:27:49
March 28: Dash Point 10K 9th Overall (men and women) , broke course record
April 11:Squak Mountain 12K 9th Overall, 1st woman course record
April 26: Run Like the Wind 10K 4th Overall, 1st woman 
 May 2: Grand Ridge 5 mile 5th Overall, 1st woman 
June 9 Ravenna 4K 5th Overall, 1st woman 
 June 13-14: Mount Adams Ascent
June 20: Taylor Mountain 5 mile 8th Overall, 1st woman 
July 18: Float Dodger 5K  11th Overall, 2nd woman
 July 25: USATF Mountain Running National Championship 32 Overall Women's US Mountain Runner
Aug 1: Grand Ridge 5m 6th Overall, 1st woman 
Aug 15-16: Pike's Peak Ascent Half Marathon 47th Overall, 10th AG
 PCT-Venture PHOTO TRIP REPORT woah, felt crazy to cross that one out!
Sept 19: Sundodger XC 6K 
Sept 26: Tehela 5k  2nd  2nd Overall, 1st woman course record   Overall Series Win!
Oct 17: Emerald City Open XC 6K   Execution!
Nov 1: USATF PACNW Champtionship XC 6K  Pacing!
Nov 21: Stumptown Cross USATF Regional Champtionship  XC 6K Portland, Oregon Team win, solid running and good end to season. 

So, here I find myself in December having not done a quality workout in oh, 6 moths???? It's partially because work got really busy (in a good way!) and while I continued to prioritize running, it was hard to justify the effort and time it took to battle traffic twice a week to get to practice.  But it was also partly because I didn't necessarily find the joy in working my tail off each and every week with people that I will never in my life dream of being as fast as. I can't stress enough that I appreciate the opportunity but I'm hardly a blip on the radar. If the coach called me and congratulated me on a race I felt like I didn't even deserve the call. I don't think I should feel like that.  And maybe that is 100% on me. And I recognize that and am willing to explore it. But maybe this club is just not a good fit? 

As I plan my next season I have some really exciting stuff coming up, including running another marathon. Something I haven't done in a long while. But my lack of quality workouts has significantly impacted my times and I know that I need them and I prefer to do them with others so I need to find a group.

So, am I being a brat? Should I just suck it up and continue to relish in my opportunity to run with incredible athletes and stick with my current club? Or is the way it makes me feel, constantly inadequate and hardly deserving of time and resources, wrong? Is there a balance? Maybe this is just completely an adjustment I need to make on my own. But I'm just not sure.

What do you guys think?

2015-12-01 2:32 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Kind of impersonal but it does beat an ugly tie.

Anything beats the ugly tie!
2015-12-01 3:23 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

They have really specialized hobbies - one is a gymnast and the other is a drummer. But I would never be able to pick out anything either of them really needed for those things, ya know? They aren't gamers, and both are set with i-devices and electronics. Mom said they always like "clothes" but I have visions of them returning anything I buy (I did at their age!) and I did that last year, so maybe a gift card is in order...

I did price hoverboards but they are a bit over my budget

My son has been playing the drums for about three years and there are a few things related that might be of interest.  Depending on what he currently has, a new crash cymbal or hi-hat would be nice.  If you have a local music store, they might be able to help you.  Light up drum sticks like these were a hit:

http://www.amazon.com/ION-Firestix-Light-Up-Drumsticks-Blue/dp/B002VWYF2E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1449004841&sr=8-3&keywords=Light+Up+Drumsticks

Drum sheet music is another idea.

Not sure what a gymnast would want.  Not a lot of gear with that I am aware of.

2015-12-01 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

We do that with our exchange too. Draw names. Unfortunately this year we got the drunk BIL and the loser boyfriend along with my dad and a niece.

So any ideas for a loser-won't-get-a-job-because-he's-a-rockstar-baby-daddy-boyfriend would be appreciated. DS1 suggested a kick in the azz and DS2 suggested an application for the Army (note: not Navy). We were thinking a family membership (with my beautiful niece and the kids) to the Denver Aquarium. He probably wouldn't like it but the niece and kids would. And quite frankly I don't care what he likes  

2015-12-01 3:41 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Snerk

2015-12-01 3:45 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Asalzwed

This is sort of a bio/explanation so, grab a beer because it might be long. Before I get started, what I am looking for is maybe some direction in what to do about my quality workouts.

Background: I started running at the end of 2011 and found I really enjoyed it. I gradually increased my volume and ran some marathons. From there I joined a club. The club is open to all but is really s a very competitive club, geared towards development of elite athletes and Olympians (I didn't know that at the time.) I am neither. Even though I am neither, it is fantastic to be able to be pushed each week by runners who are much better than I. 

I have always tried to really balance my training with my joy for running. It started to all feel a little too competitive and stuffy so I took a step back. I took the summer off of workouts and did a trail running series and ended up falling in love with trail and mountain running. I did several running mountain ascents as well as a big 100 mile run on the Pacific Crest Trail. Here was my race schedule from the past year (sorry its a cut and past from my training log so it has extraneous details)

Jan 3: 25K Tiger Mountain Loop First trail race in the book! Lots to learn. Not a real race but I was towards the FOP.
Jan 17: Capitol Peak Mega Fat 17 Mile Trail Run Second overall woman, really fun! Lots to learn
 July 25: USATF Mountain Running National Championship 32 Overall Women's US Mountain Runner
Sept 26: Tehela 5k  2nd  2nd Overall, 1st woman course record   Overall Series Win!
Nov 21: Stumptown Cross USATF Regional Champtionship  XC 6K Portland, Oregon Team win, solid running and good end to season. 

So, here I find myself in December having not done a quality workout in oh, 6 moths???? It's partially because work got really busy (in a good way!) and while I continued to prioritize running, it was hard to justify the effort and time it took to battle traffic twice a week to get to practice.  But it was also partly because I didn't necessarily find the joy in working my tail off each and every week with people that I will never in my life dream of being as fast as. I can't stress enough that I appreciate the opportunity but I'm hardly a blip on the radar. If the coach called me and congratulated me on a race I felt like I didn't even deserve the call. I don't think I should feel like that.  And maybe that is 100% on me. And I recognize that and am willing to explore it. But maybe this club is just not a good fit? 

As I plan my next season I have some really exciting stuff coming up, including running another marathon. Something I haven't done in a long while. But my lack of quality workouts has significantly impacted my times and I know that I need them and I prefer to do them with others so I need to find a group.

So, am I being a brat? Should I just suck it up and continue to relish in my opportunity to run with incredible athletes and stick with my current club? Or is the way it makes me feel, constantly inadequate and hardly deserving of time and resources, wrong? Is there a balance? Maybe this is just completely an adjustment I need to make on my own. But I'm just not sure.

What do you guys think?

Do you like those people? As people, not super-runners? If they make you feel uncomfortable, then it's a different story, but if they are being supportive, hang out with the group. ("hang out" is probably not the best way to describe running with elites..heh..)
Mary
2015-12-01 3:49 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

What do you guys think?

My two cents...

I think you feeling inadequate isn't right or wrong it just is. From my point of view (and probably the coaches or they wouldn't call) you are worth the time. But, in training I've found if you force it, it won't last. Maybe seek out a club that fits your situation better. One that still pushes you but you're not the low person on the totem pole. It can't hurt to look.

2015-12-01 3:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

What do you guys think?

My two cents...

I think you feeling inadequate isn't right or wrong it just is. From my point of view (and probably the coaches or they wouldn't call) you are worth the time. But, in training I've found if you force it, it won't last. Maybe seek out a club that fits your situation better. One that still pushes you but you're not the low person on the totem pole. It can't hurt to look.

Yeah. I am always the first to say that to my friends. That feelings are never right or wrong, they just are. And I am trying to award myself that.

I just can't put my finger on why I feel this so strongly as it hasn't passed. I mean, I know it's all about my own goals and whatnot. I guess maybe it's just hard to identify with the "If you don't know you are going to win, why show up?" philosophy that running at that  level needs to have, to be champions. It's not that I don't get that you need to have that mindset to be a champion, it's just that I am realistic about my own natural born talent lol, I just would never show up hahaha

Thank you for the input, and validating the feelings

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-12-01 3:59 PM

2015-12-01 3:58 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by marysia83

What do you guys think?

Do you like those people? As people, not super-runners? If they make you feel uncomfortable, then it's a different story, but if they are being supportive, hang out with the group. ("hang out" is probably not the best way to describe running with elites..heh..) Mary

Like any group, some are friends for life and some not so much. 

2015-12-01 4:48 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I can relate to working out with a group that is on a little different page.  You are much closer to the elites than I am so maybe it's a little easier for me to settle into my groups (or lack of) but I have found that I am a lone wolf and am happier as such.  There are a number of groups that train on the track at WWU where I do my track workouts during those few months of the year that I do that focus.  I know a lot of them personally but cannot bring myself to join them.  Same with running cross country or swimming at Masters or joining one of the weekly group rides.  Even the small group I was trail running with started to lose it luster.

The main reason is that running/swimming/biking is such a personal thing for me that is very deeply rooted to my soul.  Getting dropped on a ride or having the group wait for me at the crest of a hill on the trails transforms the experience into someone else's expectations for the outing not mine.  I have to listen to my own body on any given day.  Some are good days and some not so much.  I want to me able to roll with that and not get drawn into a pi$$ing contest every time out.

As a serious athlete, which again you are much more of that than I am, I can see the benefit of being pushed by better athletes.  Being pulled out of your comfort zone is good for development but I think keeping the overall perspective of who and what you are and why you do it is paramount.  Keep in mind you are mixing it up with the big boys/girls.  The cream of the crop.  To even share a track with these folks is pretty remarkable in my book.  You are hardly inadequate in the grand scheme of things but are measuring yourself at the very pointy end of the stick.  If I were you I'd probably find another group and see what that is like and then decide who you want to train with.  I hope you figure out what is the best fit for you. 

2015-12-01 6:16 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

We do that with our exchange too. Draw names. Unfortunately this year we got the drunk BIL and the loser boyfriend along with my dad and a niece.

So any ideas for a loser-won't-get-a-job-because-he's-a-rockstar-baby-daddy-boyfriend would be appreciated. DS1 suggested a kick in the azz and DS2 suggested an application for the Army (note: not Navy). We were thinking a family membership (with my beautiful niece and the kids) to the Denver Aquarium. He probably wouldn't like it but the niece and kids would. And quite frankly I don't care what he likes  

DS2 has now gone down in my opinion ratings :/
2015-12-01 7:49 PM

User image

Master

How's about a one-way bus ticket out of state? 

2015-12-01 7:50 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Sorry, Janyne, but zzzzzzzing!

2015-12-01 8:03 PM

User image

Master

What do you guys think?

What is your priority?  Attaining a goal or enjoying running with the group?  If running with that group is sucking the joy out of your workouts, then find another group I say.  Don't sell yourself short either, though, by comparing yourself to others.  You only have to compete with yourself. 

2015-12-01 10:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

I'd go with the aquarium membership. If he doesn't work then its probably something that they could not afford to do and it would give them some good times over the year.

If that doesn't work then maybe a family board game - maybe not cool anymore but the four of us kids used to have EPIC game day/nights during the summer holidays with our parents as kids. Squatter was our game of choice, a good game could take days as it would get adjourned to deal with eating, cricket, football and beach trips (maybe an Australian thing cause its about sheep farming). The best part of the game was to see who could get away with the most cheating

One thing your conversation has highlighted is that my family are really dropping the ball on this Christmas gift thing. My mum and dad tend to buy gifts for everyone, us (now) 5 kids, our spouses and their 11 grand children (my parents have recently "adopted" a girl the same age as me that has no family, she is considered another child). Other than that you buy for your own spouse and children and maybe mum and dad. Its great for Phil and I cause buying for the whole crew would send us broke - my siblings are great breeders.
2015-12-01 11:37 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Ahh, the family board game.  We have had so much fun over the years.  We used to play Yahtze with my grandparents when I was a kid.  Life, Monopoly, Sorry, Scrabble, Clue, Masterpiece, Battleship, Uno.  Nothing brings a family together like a good game.  Great call Stacey.  Never heard of Squatter.  I'll have to look it up.

2015-12-02 3:49 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hard to say. I was one of the slower runners on a very high-powered college team (last scoring runner when we won NCAA; the coach had something to say in the newspaper about everyone but me LOL), and also trained for Olympic Trials with a coach who had something of a "stable" of elite and semi-elite runners. So I certainly know where you are coming from! On the one hand, it certainly helped my development as a runner to get pushed way out of my comfort zone, especially with the second coach. (The college program was very focused on 800-3000m runners; I simply didn't fit very well with it and always felt like a chihuahua running with greyhounds.) I got to see the level of natural talent that it took to be a top middle distance runner, and became very clear that while I may have been state 2-mile champion in HS, I didn't have even close to what it took to be national or world class, no matter how hard I worked. Training with the second group for the marathon, I saw first-hand the level of commitment that it takes to run at that level for 10K to marathon. I realised that while I marginally might have had the talent to make it to national class for the marathon, it just wasn't what I wanted to do with my life. Qualifying for Trials and having a good race there was enough for me. That total commitment to training, sacrificing other life goals like starting a career or travel, the constant risk of injury, just for something that wouldn't end in an Olympic medal or a world record, just maybe some wins and nominal prize money in road races? It wasn't worth it to me. But I don't regret the time I spent training with that coach and those athletes.(Though sometimes I could kick myself for not getting into tri. Back then, I would have been close to pro level at the swim and run. But not sure I would have figured out the bike, even then! I think I might have gotten more enthused about pursuing a full time career training for three sports. Sadly, I thought that all tris were Ironman, and that event really scared me!)

It comes down to what you want out of running, and coaching, and training. If it's to maximize performance, and you're convinced you train better with that club, then I'd suck it up and keep going. If it's to really enjoy your running, and that's sapping your enjoyment, then I'd find some other solution (another club? individual coach?) that works for you. In my case, I decided what I really wanted was two things--to run my whole life, and to enjoy my running, and that no matter what level I did it at, I would do what I wanted with my talent or lack of it. I enjoyed my 20 years of recreational fun-running, and I enjoy training for tris now. I've just started working with an individual coach (online) who works with a number of age group and elite athletes. I find it fun and a new challenge, and I'll do that as long as I enjoy it. But the day that being coached, or tri, or racing, stops feeling fun, or like it's something I have to do, is the day I stop and find a new challenge.

Not sure if this is useful.....just my 2 cents.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 54316 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66757 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28120 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11881 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66386 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.