Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2015-12-17 11:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Is B2B about to be ruined?
Ironman doesn't show a 70.3 race, unless I'm missing it on their page.

Edit....found it.

Edited by nc452010 2015-12-17 11:13 AM

2015-12-17 12:59 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Atlantia

Looks like its official: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/north-caro...

Registration opens tomorrow at Noon EST
2015-12-17 1:06 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
This race will be ruined so fast...........it'll sell out in 3 wks.
2015-12-17 4:33 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
3000 people is going to cause some new logistical problems(think of the congestion on the 15miles of I-140) but I'm kind of excited to be doing a WTC event again a bunch of years since my last branded 140.6. It's looking like the group I've done the race with the last few years are planning on registering, too...

So, the standard IM question: how soon will the races sell out?
2015-12-17 5:22 PM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
The new Ohio one went quick...
2015-12-18 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by nc452010

does selling out in 3 weeks make it better?

2015-12-18 9:42 AM
in reply to: qrkid

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by qrkid

Does IM taking it "ruin" it?

No....is the answer to your question. It doesn't make it worse, either.
2015-12-18 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

Does IM taking it "ruin" it?

No....is the answer to your question. It doesn't make it worse, either.

well like everything it is a matter of opinion and what is important to your decision for doing the race. For me, not seeing what improvements there can/will be, weighed against big price jumps, extra people on a tight course, and year in advance commitment. I see it as a negative.
So to answer your question. Yes, in my opinion, I think WTC taking it over does more to ruin it as opposed to improve it.
2015-12-18 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I absolutely respect that. But, I signed up for Augusta, before WTC purchased B2B. I wanted my first 70.3 to be an IM branded race.

If B2B had been available (when I signed up for Augusta), it would have saved me upwards of $1K. I have a free place to stay in Southport. I'll likely still do IMNC 70.3.....because it won't cost me much more than the entry fee.
2015-12-18 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
With you.

Almost that we now have to add WTC to topics like religion and politics you do not discuss at the Thanksgiving table. People could discuss/debate/argue until the cows come home if WTC is good or bad.
I am not totally opposed to WTC, I have actually done an IM 70.3 ( only 70.3 events I have done are IM 70.3 Raleigh and B2B). Oddly enough the Ironman brand is actually costing you this year. You chose Augusta for the experience of your 1st one being IM. I can respect that. You are most probably in the majority of people who want that. If they would have announced earlier you would have signed up for Wilmington and saved some $$'s over Augusta. Now (from your other post time between 70.3's) seems like you are now having to decide today about also signing up for B2B. If it was not IM you would not have to make that commitment and the entry would be cheaper (now even if it was still setup I don't think you would have been able to wait until after Augusta to sign up but you would have a couple months to figure it out).

At the end of the day we all do races for our own personal reasons and choose races based on our circumstances. I am sure you are happy with your choices and sure you will have a great time at Augusta and B2B if you do that as well.

Best of luck and hope you kill it when and wherever you choose to race.
2015-12-18 7:38 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Master
WTC buying this race is a rare win/win. A small YMCA started a 1/2 and full distance IM race that was so successful that WTC bought them out. The YMCA has funds to support their local charities and WTC runs a great venue and brings millions of dollars to the local economy. The losers are the athletes looking for a cheap race. I would be surprised if registration takes more than 3 days. The biggest question would be whether or not previous finishers are entitled to a WTC tattoo

2015-12-19 7:29 PM
in reply to: alltom1

Originally posted by alltom1

3000 people is going to cause some new logistical problems(think of the congestion on the 15miles of I-140) but...

The one thing they got right is that it's 3000 combined between the 70.3 and 140.6 distances. As long as they stick to the 1 hr gap between starting times, then it goes off more like a 1200 person race, followed by a 1800 person race.

Still way too congested for the drawbridges at the beginning and end of the bike, which is why I'll probably have to take a permanent pass on it, in spite of the fact a lot of my friends are in the area.
2015-12-20 10:20 AM
in reply to: beastofbourbon

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by beastofbourbon

3000 people is going to cause some new logistical problems(think of the congestion on the 15miles of I-140) but...

The one thing they got right is that it's 3000 combined between the 70.3 and 140.6 distances. As long as they stick to the 1 hr gap between starting times, then it goes off more like a 1200 person race, followed by a 1800 person race.

Still way too congested for the drawbridges at the beginning and end of the bike, which is why I'll probably have to take a permanent pass on it, in spite of the fact a lot of my friends are in the area.

Not totally true. The front of the half already rides into the back of the full as they get on the interstate. So you have pretty slow full people getting really fast people trying to pass in a very small space. That was when there was 1000 less peeps total. Now with an extra 700 odd full people and a lot of then being bucket listers and in all likelihood a little slower plus a greater number of front enders in the half. Going to be iffy.
2015-12-21 8:17 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by alltom1 3000 people is going to cause some new logistical problems(think of the congestion on the 15miles of I-140) but...
The one thing they got right is that it's 3000 combined between the 70.3 and 140.6 distances. As long as they stick to the 1 hr gap between starting times, then it goes off more like a 1200 person race, followed by a 1800 person race. Still way too congested for the drawbridges at the beginning and end of the bike, which is why I'll probably have to take a permanent pass on it, in spite of the fact a lot of my friends are in the area.
Not totally true. The front of the half already rides into the back of the full as they get on the interstate. So you have pretty slow full people getting really fast people trying to pass in a very small space. That was when there was 1000 less peeps total. Now with an extra 700 odd full people and a lot of then being bucket listers and in all likelihood a little slower plus a greater number of front enders in the half. Going to be iffy.

I haven't read the details yet, but assuming they follow the trend of other IM events and do a rolling TT start, this won't be the issue that it appears at first blush.

Big race.  Small race.  It doesn't matter to me, but it obviously doesn't ruin it in the eyes of most triathletes, or else participation wouldn't go up at the same time prices are increased.  The opinion that the sale is a negative is the opinion of a small minority of triathletes.

Personally, I wish more triathletes supported independent races like B2B by participating.  Competition is good for the athletes.  By continuing to buy out most WTC events, and under buy the independents, it allows WTC to charge the premium they do while independents struggle and eventually sell the event.  It's nobody's fault except the athletes that WTC has achieved a near monopoly. 

2015-12-21 8:17 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

I was third out of the water in the half this year*, so I caught up to the last of the full distance athletes in the water. The first 20 or so miles on the bike was passing the BOP of the full. It wasn't an issue at all. There was plenty of room and there were maybe two places where I had to slow down and wait to pass someone. Honestly it was when the half distance split off that was negative. You went from riding with a ton of other people to being completely by yourself. The rest of the race was really quiet in comparison. I think I finished 36th overall if memory serves and I saw maybe three other riders on the bike, and maybe 4 poeple on the run. It wasn't until we doubled back on the run that I saw the other athletes. It made a lot of the race feel like a training ride or run. I think the additional people, especially at the front end would make for a better race.

*just a note that I wasn't 3rd overall in the swim, but was in the first heat and third in that group so I was the third person out of the water physically.
2015-12-21 10:23 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Personally, I wish more triathletes supported independent races like B2B by participating.  Competition is good for the athletes.  By continuing to buy out most WTC events, and under buy the independents, it allows WTC to charge the premium they do while independents struggle and eventually sell the event.  It's nobody's fault except the athletes that WTC has achieved a near monopoly. 

I agree, some of the independents put on good races, just not enough participation.

If you do a 140.6 independent race you are still allowed to say your are an Ironman. WTC police will not be knocking on your door.

2 things I don't like about "IM" branded races
1) higher prices- for no reason other than they want to make more money, and people are willing to pay the price.
2) have to register so far in advance- much higher risk of not being able to participate in something you paid for.

2015-12-21 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Not only does the front of the half run into the back of the full early on in the bike, but the front of the full will run into the back of the half at the end of the bike. This happened to me this year - the last 15 miles of the bike I was running into the back of the half pack. I came into T2 with a bunch of the half people and had to fight for a little space in the T2 area. Not a big deal really, but I noticed that it clogged the works up just a bit.

On the other hand, it was nice to get out on the run and not be all alone. There were a ton of people out on the course already as they were doing the half.
2015-12-21 8:00 PM

My point remains the same...

I never said it wasn't a tight course. The B2B field was at least manageable.

I never said WTC eliminated logistical problems by putting on both distances. It's going to get a lot more crowded for everyone.

Just think how crowded it would be if they tried to put on EITHER distance as a stand-alone race with 2000-3000 athletes!

It is my opinion that most WTC races are too big anyway. But given the logistics in a few spots on the B2B course (drawbridge at the beginning, unforgiving Interstate section, drawbridge at the end), IMNC/IMNC 70.3 will be too big to the point that there are safety issues. Maybe it should have been Ironman Cape Fear, or IMCF for short.
2015-12-21 9:28 PM
in reply to: beastofbourbon

User image

Pro

Originally posted by alltom1 3000 people is going to cause some new logistical problems(think of the congestion on the 15miles of I-140) but...
The one thing they got right is that it's 3000 combined between the 70.3 and 140.6 distances. As long as they stick to the 1 hr gap between starting times, then it goes off more like a 1200 person race, followed by a 1800 person race. Still way too congested for the drawbridges at the beginning and end of the bike, which is why I'll probably have to take a permanent pass on it, in spite of the fact a lot of my friends are in the area.
My point remains the same... I never said it wasn't a tight course. The B2B field was at least manageable. I never said WTC eliminated logistical problems by putting on both distances. It's going to get a lot more crowded for everyone. Just think how crowded it would be if they tried to put on EITHER distance as a stand-alone race with 2000-3000 athletes! It is my opinion that most WTC races are too big anyway. But given the logistics in a few spots on the B2B course (drawbridge at the beginning, unforgiving Interstate section, drawbridge at the end), IMNC/IMNC 70.3 will be too big to the point that there are safety issues. Maybe it should have been Ironman Cape Fear, or IMCF for short.

There will be no carnage, no more injury/death per starter, or any other "safety" issues.  There never is.......it's one of the made-up concerns every time WTC buys a local race.  

You might not like it as much for a variety of reasons.......being more crowded included (I get that).....but it's not a safety issue.  Ask their insurance company

2015-12-22 7:45 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Left Brain

There will be no carnage, no more injury/death per starter, or any other "safety" issues.  There never is.......it's one of the made-up concerns every time WTC buys a local race.  

You might not like it as much for a variety of reasons.......being more crowded included (I get that).....but it's not a safety issue.  Ask their insurance company

Pretty much this.  You won't find a more congested and logistically jacked up "big race" bike course than the Arizona 70.3 (formerly Soma Triathlon) course.  It nearly tripled in size from 2014 when it was still Lifetime Soma to 2015 when it became AZ 70.3.  I think there were about 600 that did the Soma in 2014 and 1700 that did AZ 70.3 in 2015.  Everyone was screaming at the rooftops there would be mass carnage.  Guess what... the sky didn't fall and all was well.

2015-12-22 8:30 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Based on my B2B experience from this year, I think the only change that may be needed to accomodate a bigger crowd is perhaps the T1 location and the swim start.

They can probably negotiate/rent some more room for T1. There was a large unused field adjacent to T1 and they can do away with some of the parking too.

However, the swim start will need to be nailed logistically. More buses will be needed and much more orgnization at the drop off spot to make sure the buses don't get jammed up like this year. I'm confident WTC can do this with since they obviously have allot experience in these regards.

Otherwise the Convention center and course can certainly accomodate more people.

Other than the two points preivously raised about cost and the need to register well in advance, I think it should still be a great race primarily since the area is great and the people supporting the event was great.

2015-12-22 8:52 AM
in reply to: dillrob

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by dillrob

Based on my B2B experience from this year, I think the only change that may be needed to accomodate a bigger crowd is perhaps the T1 location and the swim start.

They can probably negotiate/rent some more room for T1. There was a large unused field adjacent to T1 and they can do away with some of the parking too.

However, the swim start will need to be nailed logistically. More buses will be needed and much more orgnization at the drop off spot to make sure the buses don't get jammed up like this year. I'm confident WTC can do this with since they obviously have allot experience in these regards.

Otherwise the Convention center and course can certainly accomodate more people.

Other than the two points preivously raised about cost and the need to register well in advance, I think it should still be a great race primarily since the area is great and the people supporting the event was great.

T1 can be expanded. And T2 in the convention center can probably be split into a second room so they can expand into there (maybe put the Full guys in the current room and the half guys in the next room over?). You will probably see a good bit of drafting happening as the fast swim is going to pack a lot of people out onto the bike course without the typical spread, but that is a problem for the officials and the participants.

My biggest concerns though are the shuttling to swim start. I was on that bus that got stuck this year and although it didn't affect me in any way to walk a little from the stuck bus to the start. The other concern I would have is the two open-grate bridges. If it is at all wet out, having that many people on the course is only going to make it worse, especially on the bridge at the end when everyone is tired. I guess there isn't anything that can be done about it other than warn people.

BTW - nice to see someone else from Downingtown around here!
2015-12-22 9:16 AM
in reply to: noofus

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Anyone else get the e-mail from Set Up today?  Bunch of dribble about the reasoning for selling.  Not that I blame them (or the Y)... money is money and business is business.  Just don't try snowball your "customers", own up.

2015-12-22 9:31 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Sous

Anyone else get the e-mail from Set Up today?  Bunch of dribble about the reasoning for selling.  Not that I blame them (or the Y)... money is money and business is business.  Just don't try snowball your "customers", own up.

I got the email. It essentially says the Y was made an offer it couldn't refuse. Either sell, or the WTC will just put on its own race nearby and kill B2B outright.
2015-12-22 10:18 AM
in reply to: noofus

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by noofus
Originally posted by Sous

I got the email. It essentially says the Y was made an offer it couldn't refuse. Either sell, or the WTC will just put on its own race nearby and kill B2B outright.

Yea I got the e-mail too.  I just found it funny they way that they put on in the e-mail and compounding with the "launching a new registration platform" BS that they had on their site for weeks.

They talk about "surviving" the WTC's entrance to the market in their region and point to IMMD (a race which was in existence before B2B), and Augusta 70.3 (which started in '09). 

Just freaking own up.  I'd have more respect for them. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is B2B about to be ruined? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3081 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

Birth day Celebration? I hope I am that lucky when I am 90

Started by MrSolis
Views: 1484 Posts: 4

2009-01-03 4:25 PM MrSolis

trying to determine where I am, and where I am headed...

Started by lordkovacs
Views: 1512 Posts: 3

2008-08-08 9:12 AM lordkovacs

Am I stupid? Yes, I am.

Started by triguyfitz
Views: 1569 Posts: 5

2007-08-21 12:47 AM mm5093

First ever event - half iron man - I am am now a triathlete.

Started by sally888
Views: 1776 Posts: 14

2004-10-12 5:12 AM La Rakusillian
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.