BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-02-14 10:56 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

February 13-14
Ann-Marie - Run 4 Love 4 miler on Saturday
Ann-Marie - Flatwoods Ramble 10 miler on Sunday
Tom A  - IMS Arizona Half Marathon on Sunday
Adrienne - Vertfest  on Sunday?

Disabled List
Mary S - post-concussion syndrome
Ben - clavical.  out of sling prison
Steve - Surgery 1/20 followed by 8 weeks of recovery before SBR can restart.  Recover week 3 is done!
Yanti - dental woes

Adam - Glad that the LASIK went well!
Good thoughts for Darren's boy, Fin!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Go Manatee Racers! Best wishes to all on the DL. Also....
Happy Valentine's Day! Have fun burning those chocolaty calories.

2016-02-14 6:12 PM
in reply to: CRFTX2001

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
I wonder if stroller gut was mechanically doping
2016-02-15 10:07 AM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by johnthecat

Back from the dead.

Had another busy week at work. Good thing is that the budgets are finally done which should open up my training opportunities.

Also had the final touches done on some (6) implants this week that's been in the works for the last 2 1/2 years. I can now smile a lot bigger when I cross the finish line.

After the last few weeks of allergy craziness decided to see an Allergist and see about starting my allergy immunotherapy back up. She ran an allergy test and sure enough just about every Texas tree and grass I'm allergic to. Sigh. She also checked my lung functions as I had developed some "asthmatic tendencies" with my GBS. Good news is that apparently my lung capacity has improved, but apparently I'm still showing some issues during the exhale phase. Possibility of the nerves responsible for that function are still damaged and haven't fully recovered.

Took my new/old bike finally out on a real ride on Friday. It was super windy, but nevertheless lots of fun.

Struggling a little bit with weight lately. Constantly hungry and somehow managed to pack on about 5 pounds over the last week. Not quite sure what to make of it.

Hope everyone had a great race this weekend and that all the DL'ers are recovering quickly.

During the half marathon we had a guy break the world record pushing a baby stroller. No only did he break the world record he also won the overall race in 1:11.27. Crazy. I'm attaching a couple of pictures of my dorky self from last weekend.

Awesome job!
re: being constantly hungry and gaining weight: have you tried protein shakes? It will help you:
-not feeling hungry
-loose a bit of weight
-proteins are good for muscles
2016-02-15 10:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.   I am still biking and swimming.   Running, nope.  Doctor has me restricted to walking.    Lost a bit more skin, nothing too serious.     Still freediving.  Working on FII level II and will start the instructor training this summer.    Will need something to keep busy with if I choose to retire in a year or two.  

First bike ride of the season is the CyclePaths Challenge on April second.  The ride  starts and ends in the hometown of Harper Lee and meanders through plantations and civil rights sites.       Time to pedal  more...

Edited by MadMathemagician 2016-02-15 10:31 AM
2016-02-15 1:19 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
As much as I appreciate missing work due to snow, I've had it with winter.
2016-02-15 1:43 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by awm007 As much as I appreciate missing work due to snow, I've had it with winter.

AMEN!!!

2016-02-15 1:50 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by johnthecat Back from the dead. Had another busy week at work. Good thing is that the budgets are finally done which should open up my training opportunities. Also had the final touches done on some (6) implants this week that's been in the works for the last 2 1/2 years. I can now smile a lot bigger when I cross the finish line. After the last few weeks of allergy craziness decided to see an Allergist and see about starting my allergy immunotherapy back up. She ran an allergy test and sure enough just about every Texas tree and grass I'm allergic to. Sigh. She also checked my lung functions as I had developed some "asthmatic tendencies" with my GBS. Good news is that apparently my lung capacity has improved, but apparently I'm still showing some issues during the exhale phase. Possibility of the nerves responsible for that function are still damaged and haven't fully recovered. Took my new/old bike finally out on a real ride on Friday. It was super windy, but nevertheless lots of fun. Struggling a little bit with weight lately. Constantly hungry and somehow managed to pack on about 5 pounds over the last week. Not quite sure what to make of it. Hope everyone had a great race this weekend and that all the DL'ers are recovering quickly. During the half marathon we had a guy break the world record pushing a baby stroller. No only did he break the world record he also won the overall race in 1:11.27. Crazy. I'm attaching a couple of pictures of my dorky self from last weekend.
Awesome job! re: being constantly hungry and gaining weight: have you tried protein shakes? It will help you: -not feeling hungry -loose a bit of weight -proteins are good for muscles
Yeah, been working on this the past few months too. Lots of activity and burning right through food suddenly down to nothing with the injury. Stomach doesn't just turn off. Watch for foods higher in satiety, making you feel full. I think proteins can do that, but also ones like in the healthy fats listed not too long ago. These things can have higher calories in them, but can compensate by having you feel full sooner. Contrast that with the other end of snack food stuff in attempting to eliminate that satiety so you eat a lot more before feeling it. Dense healthy foods can work for this, but not all dense foods. The triple thick fudge cake doesn't bring it on fast enough (much to my disappointment.)

2016-02-15 2:09 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by johnthecat Back from the dead. Had another busy week at work. Good thing is that the budgets are finally done which should open up my training opportunities. Also had the final touches done on some (6) implants this week that's been in the works for the last 2 1/2 years. I can now smile a lot bigger when I cross the finish line. After the last few weeks of allergy craziness decided to see an Allergist and see about starting my allergy immunotherapy back up. She ran an allergy test and sure enough just about every Texas tree and grass I'm allergic to. Sigh. She also checked my lung functions as I had developed some "asthmatic tendencies" with my GBS. Good news is that apparently my lung capacity has improved, but apparently I'm still showing some issues during the exhale phase. Possibility of the nerves responsible for that function are still damaged and haven't fully recovered. Took my new/old bike finally out on a real ride on Friday. It was super windy, but nevertheless lots of fun. Struggling a little bit with weight lately. Constantly hungry and somehow managed to pack on about 5 pounds over the last week. Not quite sure what to make of it. Hope everyone had a great race this weekend and that all the DL'ers are recovering quickly. During the half marathon we had a guy break the world record pushing a baby stroller. No only did he break the world record he also won the overall race in 1:11.27. Crazy. I'm attaching a couple of pictures of my dorky self from last weekend.
Awesome job! re: being constantly hungry and gaining weight: have you tried protein shakes? It will help you: -not feeling hungry -loose a bit of weight -proteins are good for muscles
Yeah, been working on this the past few months too. Lots of activity and burning right through food suddenly down to nothing with the injury. Stomach doesn't just turn off. Watch for foods higher in satiety, making you feel full. I think proteins can do that, but also ones like in the healthy fats listed not too long ago. These things can have higher calories in them, but can compensate by having you feel full sooner. Contrast that with the other end of snack food stuff in attempting to eliminate that satiety so you eat a lot more before feeling it. Dense healthy foods can work for this, but not all dense foods. The triple thick fudge cake doesn't bring it on fast enough (much to my disappointment.)

I often have the same feeling. No matter what I eat I'm still hungry. I've recently picked up some of the pre-packaged, aka portion control, nuts/dried fruit bags from Trader Joes which are a great snack and so far prevent me from eating the whole bag of whatever I open. If that doesn't do the trick I also keep some protein bars in my desk which are a last result. 1:11 with a stroller?? That's incredible!
2016-02-15 2:13 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Seattle
2016-02-15 2:25 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Originally posted by Atlantia Quick swim update: As of December 2015 I had a PR 100 yard swim of 1:46. I made the goal of getting that down to 1:35 by the end of 2016. This morning I swam a 1:46.5. Baby steps, but still nice to see that hard work pays off!

So much swimming goodness in the Pod lately! Congratulations!

Sorry if I missed an earlier post but what did you do to make such an improvement? I seem to be stuck around 1:35 - 1:40 and besides hiring a coach which I'm not willing to spend the $$ on right now, I'm not sure what else I can do to get faster
2016-02-15 2:41 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Here is my race report from the weekend! http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=539215&posts=1&page=1

EPIC!

2016-02-15 2:49 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Munich, Bayern
Originally posted by Hot Runner
Dunno about some of the stuff in that podcast. I ran a 2:43 marathon at age 19 and would be thrilled to do a 3:43 now. It would take a full-on run focus and more luck than I usually have to see 3:20-3:30 again, even now at 46. The guy's claiming I can do 2:43 when I'm 64????

• I just read two articles, one about Paula Radcliffe and her preparation for the London 2015 Marathon and one about Fanni Gyurkó who is a Pro Hungarian Trail runner who was trying to run a sub 2:45 Marathon to prepare for her trail runs. So I went and checked the London Marathon 2015 results and saw that Gyurkó managed a 2:43 time and placed 10th and Radcliffe got first place with 2:36.
    Now my point is: as far as I can understand it, that pretty much means to me that you have been a pro level Marathon runner in your youth? If so than I would like to thank you for all of your advice and comments. :-)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Here is my race report from the weekend! http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=539215&posts=1&page=1

Really great RR, very nice read! I also had a few lol moments, while reading it! :-D Thank you for explaining the the jargon. I can't ski and I never tried to and I don't really plan to do it any time soon.

Originally posted by johnthecat

Back from the dead.
  • I'm attaching a couple of pictures of my dorky self from last weekend.
    Grats on your race! I hope you had fun. :-)
    2016-02-15 3:14 PM
    in reply to: Lighttower

User image

Munich, Bayern
    I wanted to thank you, everyone of you! I finally managed to get my swim training on track. I managed to increase my weekly running volume by 25-33%, I managed to cure my ITBand problems, I learned how to fix my bike, buy the tools and parts I needed and than actually fix my bikes, managed to figure out a good(-ish) nutritional plan, bought a few new and cool gadgets (like my garmin, swim goggles etc.) and overall enjoy my progress.
    I have fun with my training (although a few sessions are a struggle to get through), I learned a lot, got better, healthier, stronger, faster and wiser.

I couldn't have done this without you (and the knowledge that I can't skip another workout because my training log would be empty). :-D

So: Thank You!

2016-02-15 3:17 PM

Master
    Northern IL

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Originally posted by Atlantia Quick swim update: As of December 2015 I had a PR 100 yard swim of 1:46. I made the goal of getting that down to 1:35 by the end of 2016. This morning I swam a 1:46.5. Baby steps, but still nice to see that hard work pays off!

Sorry if I missed an earlier post but what did you do to make such an improvement? I seem to be stuck around 1:35 - 1:40 and besides hiring a coach which I'm not willing to spend the $$ on right now, I'm not sure what else I can do to get faster

The specifics for this type of thing is really individual. The best thing to do is figure out how to get some type of feedback on your stroke. Could be from a coach. Could be from an occasional lesson type setup and get some analysis done. Could be from a masters program. Making a friend who knows what they are doing.

2016-02-15 3:26 PM

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Wow! Go away for a week and I will never catch up with these posts. I managed to actually get a couple of decent workouts on vacation and not gain any weight. Both pluses. Oh... and I got to see some Manatees while I was away.

2016-02-15 4:28 PM

User image

Master
    Eugene, Oregon
    Bronze member
    For the record, I have never been a pro in any athletic endeavor. (I did win $250 once in a race, but I had to give it back as NCAA rules did not allow me to take it.) I the US, 2:43, even on a fairly hot, tough course like mine was, does not get you much beyond winning some local-level races and going to the Olympic Trials. I ran in them once (back before I got a real life and had no time/energy for that level of run training) and was 45th. Maybe if I was from some other country, I could have been pro on a national level (I used to train with a woman who represented Guam in the Olympics, and another time accidentally won Taiwan's Olympic Trials), but not world-class!

I do happen to know a bit about running, but it may be somewhat outdated. I guess any mistake one could make with training or racing, I have probably done at some point, and probably in my first 20 years of life.

Don't know about the Hungarian runner but Paula Radcliffe holds the world record. It's not much slower than the guys. She may be a bit past her prime now but she is SERIOUSLY fast!

2016-02-15 4:35 PM

User image

Master
    Orlando

Originally posted by Lighttower I wanted to thank you, everyone of you! I finally managed to get my swim training on track. I managed to increase my weekly running volume by 25-33%, I managed to cure my ITBand problems, I learned how to fix my bike, buy the tools and parts I needed and than actually fix my bikes, managed to figure out a good(-ish) nutritional plan, bought a few new and cool gadgets (like my garmin, swim goggles etc.) and overall enjoy my progress. I have fun with my training (although a few sessions are a struggle to get through), I learned a lot, got better, healthier, stronger, faster and wiser. I couldn't have done this without you (and the knowledge that I can't skip another workout because my training log would be empty). :-D So: Thank You!

Congratulations, you've done an awful lot in a short period of time!  Glad you are enjoying all the training!!

2016-02-15 4:49 PM
    in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
    Western Australia
    Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by awm007 As much as I appreciate missing work due to snow, I've had it with winter.

AMEN!!!

I think that we should do a deal with God that we just get 6 months each of spring and fall. I am over the heat another 100+ here today.
    2016-02-15 9:34 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I often have the same feeling. No matter what I eat I'm still hungry. I've recently picked up some of the pre-packaged, aka portion control, nuts/dried fruit bags from Trader Joes which are a great snack and so far prevent me from eating the whole bag of whatever I open. If that doesn't do the trick I also keep some protein bars in my desk which are a last result. 1:11 with a stroller?? That's incredible!

So a coworker of mine (Who has 375 Triathlons under his belt btw) just posted this on his Facebook:

http://wisemindhealthybody.com/naturalnews/food-cravings-mineral-de...

Makes sense. Now I just need to be disciplined enough to go eat the alternative.
    2016-02-16 8:15 AM

User image

Melon Presser

The specifics for this type of thing is really individual. The best thing to do is figure out how to get some type of feedback on your stroke. Could be from a coach. Could be from an occasional lesson type setup and get some analysis done. Could be from a masters program. Making a friend who knows what they are doing.

Yup. What Br--Bi--that guy who replied said.

What you could do is get video of you swimming. While underwater is best (phone in a Ziploc baggie works!), even above water shots will help. Post it here in the Manatees or in the Tri Talk forum and you'll get help. It'll help you simply just to really see yourself swim.

Beyond technique improvements, how much/often are you currently swimming?

If you end up doing this next suggestion, you'll hate me, yourself, some lady named Sheila, and you'll be sure she hates you, but you will become a kickazz swimmer.

Sheila Taormina's Swim Speed Workouts. Get 'em, do 'em, hate it, see the numbers click on your swim speed.

2016-02-16 8:42 AM
    in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
    Englewood, Florida

Hello all, I am finally back to reality after a full week of travels, funerals, family, etc. I've been reading along and I hope all is well. I should be checking in more in the next couple of days.

Have a good one!!!

2016-02-16 8:53 AM
    in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

What you could do is get video of you swimming. While underwater is best (phone in a Ziploc baggie works!), even above water shots will help. Post it here in the Manatees or in the Tri Talk forum and you'll get help. It'll help you simply just to really see yourself swim.

If you end up doing this next suggestion, you'll hate me, yourself, some lady named Sheila, and you'll be sure she hates you, but you will become a kickazz swimmer.

Sheila Taormina's Swim Speed Workouts. Get 'em, do 'em, hate it, see the numbers click on your swim speed.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll start working on getting my wife to come to the pool with our video camera . I can only imagine what the other LA Fitness swimmers will be thinking.
    2016-02-16 8:59 AM
    in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
    Toronto
    Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

AMEN!!!

Hahahahaha! It's funny, we're getting snow today and I quite like it. I feel like we've hardly had winter. I am quite okay with it either way. What we got is manageable

Sorry it's less so for you guys ... 

2016-02-16 11:10 AM

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area

I tend to not drink enough in the winter.  I try to drink something if I get snacky and then, if I'm still hungry 30 minutes later, go ahead and eat something.

2016-02-16 11:38 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll start working on getting my wife to come to the pool with our video camera . I can only imagine what the other LA Fitness swimmers will be thinking.

lol
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
    Views: 888 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
    Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : February 6, 2010
    author : EndurancePlanet
    comments : 0
    Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
    author : EndurancePlanet
    Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
    date : February 19, 2007
    author : Terese Luikens
    Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.