BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-02-16 11:39 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed
Originally posted by cdban66

Hello all, I am finally back to reality after a full week of travels, funerals, family, etc. I've been reading along and I hope all is well. I should be checking in more in the next couple of days.

Have a good one!!!

We're glad you're back and everything seems to be done. Although, I'm sorry these were rather sad events :/

2016-02-16 11:41 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Lighttower I wanted to thank you, everyone of you! I finally managed to get my swim training on track. I managed to increase my weekly running volume by 25-33%, I managed to cure my ITBand problems, I learned how to fix my bike, buy the tools and parts I needed and than actually fix my bikes, managed to figure out a good(-ish) nutritional plan, bought a few new and cool gadgets (like my garmin, swim goggles etc.) and overall enjoy my progress. I have fun with my training (although a few sessions are a struggle to get through), I learned a lot, got better, healthier, stronger, faster and wiser. I couldn't have done this without you (and the knowledge that I can't skip another workout because my training log would be empty). :-D So: Thank You!

Congratulations, you've done an awful lot in a short period of time!  Glad you are enjoying all the training!!

Dude, you rock. You accomplished so much in what, one moth? Couple of months...? You should screen-shot this post and revisit in 6 months
Keep doing this great work!
2016-02-16 12:04 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Atlantia Quick swim update: As of December 2015 I had a PR 100 yard swim of 1:46. I made the goal of getting that down to 1:35 by the end of 2016. This morning I swam a 1:46.5. Baby steps, but still nice to see that hard work pays off!

So much swimming goodness in the Pod lately! Congratulations!

Sorry if I missed an earlier post but what did you do to make such an improvement? I seem to be stuck around 1:35 - 1:40 and besides hiring a coach which I'm not willing to spend the $$ on right now, I'm not sure what else I can do to get faster

Justin - you're still faster than me if you can do 1:35-1:40! I took group lessons for 10 weeks starting in September 2015. Since then, just swim more. I had been doing about 5400 yards a week, and now I'm up to 6300. I pick my workouts from here: http://mastersswimworkoutsbysaramclarty.blogspot.com/ I get in the pool 3 times a week.
2016-02-16 12:06 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Atlantia

Originally posted by Atlantia Quick swim update: As of December 2015 I had a PR 100 yard swim of 1:46. I made the goal of getting that down to 1:35 by the end of 2016. This morning I swam a 1:46.5. Baby steps, but still nice to see that hard work pays off!

Sorry if I missed an earlier post but what did you do to make such an improvement? I seem to be stuck around 1:35 - 1:40 and besides hiring a coach which I'm not willing to spend the $$ on right now, I'm not sure what else I can do to get faster

Justin - you're still faster than me if you can do 1:35-1:40! I took group lessons for 10 weeks starting in September 2015. Since then, just swim more. I had been doing about 5400 yards a week, and now I'm up to 6300. I pick my workouts from here: http://mastersswimworkoutsbysaramclarty.blogspot.com/ I get in the pool 3 times a week.

Congrats Laura on such a wonderful improvement ))))
2016-02-16 12:10 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by marysia83

Hard work pays off! But you know that, Ms Freestyle!
2016-02-16 12:52 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Seattle

Awesome to hear all of the improvements going on in here! Especially in swimming where those seconds don't come easy!

2016-02-16 12:55 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Hello all, I am finally back to reality after a full week of travels, funerals, family, etc. I've been reading along and I hope all is well. I should be checking in more in the next couple of days.

Have a good one!!!

Welcome back. Sorry there was a funeral in your plans, I hope you enjoyed the time with family. Looks like you and TW got some tree time too!

2016-02-16 1:09 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I hope that everyone's week is off to a great start!

I am seeking proof of life posts from Erin, Eric, RookeyDavid, Dicky.

2016-02-16 1:34 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Holy crazy weather Batman!!

Single digit temps yesterday
20s when I got up, 30s when I left the house, FIFTIES at my office!

the early am ICE caused havoc all over the Northeast. I heard that there was some MAJOR multi tractor trailer pile up in PA on I 81 - Melanie I don't know what part of PA you are in but I hope you were no where near there!

It was so bad here this am the pool wasn't open! OOPS!

Back to work! Stay safe all - it's crazy [weather] out there!
2016-02-16 1:53 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Katy, Texas
Proof of life post. Buried under training hours, work and kids. Glad to see race awesomeness, swim awesomeness, and overall awesomeness out of the pod!!!

I can second the crazy weather. I got mild frostbite on my knees and ankles this morning on my bike ride (forecast said 50, ended up being 42), then it was 75* at lunch for my run.

I hope everyone has a great week.
2016-02-16 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Have a good one!!!

We're glad you're back and everything seems to be done. Although, I'm sorry these were rather sad events :/

Thanks, it was all rather sudden when it happened, but the family is doing better now.

Originally posted by rrrunner

Have a good one!!!

Welcome back. Sorry there was a funeral in your plans, I hope you enjoyed the time with family. Looks like you and TW got some tree time too!

Thanks, yep we were up in the trees yesterday, our Valentine's Day present. It is about the only exercise we get with one another.

2016-02-16 2:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Holy crazy weather Batman!! Single digit temps yesterday 20s when I got up, 30s when I left the house, FIFTIES at my office! the early am ICE caused havoc all over the Northeast. I heard that there was some MAJOR multi tractor trailer pile up in PA on I 81 - Melanie I don't know what part of PA you are in but I hope you were no where near there! It was so bad here this am the pool wasn't open! OOPS! Back to work! Stay safe all - it's crazy [weather] out there!

Yup, we've had similar craziness.  The big snow, then a smaller snow or 2, then the single digit, negative wind chill mess for numerous days with big winds and more small snows (and ice yesterday and today, like you said) that caused total havoc with driving.  

The huge accident you referenced was maybe 1/2 hour from my house and thankfully didn't affect me but it caused some delays for our Harrisburg Black Widows to make it to our away game on time.  Most knew about it and were able to re-route, but a few didn't.  That accident was absolutely horrible.  It happened 9:30 am Sat. and the road didn't get reopened until 7 am Sunday.  Because of the severe cold they had to shuttle people (who weren't already headed to hospitals) to emergency shelters until they could find means to get them home (rental cars, family, etc).  They utilized 7 different area hospitals for the 50+ injuries. There were 3 fatalities. Crazy and scary.  Believe me, I took my time and used extra caution on my drive to our away game Sat. 

Edited by melbo55 2016-02-16 2:06 PM
2016-02-16 3:10 PM

User image

Wow, that's a lot of laps! Thanks for the tips. I'll check out some of the workouts and give them a shot.
2016-02-16 3:34 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

Master
Northern IL

Justin - you're still faster than me if you can do 1:35-1:40! I took group lessons for 10 weeks starting in September 2015. Since then, just swim more. I had been doing about 5400 yards a week, and now I'm up to 6300. I pick my workouts from here: http://mastersswimworkoutsbysaramclarty.blogspot.com/I get in the pool 3 times a week.
Wow, that's a lot of laps! Thanks for the tips. I'll check out some of the workouts and give them a shot.

For the Masters group I was in, we usually had a total somewhere between B & C in a 1 hr session, ~C for stroke night, and A or more for the 90 min session. Some of those went over 5,000.

2016-02-16 4:00 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
I am back to my new normal this week, we are now the proud parents of 2 octogenarians. My father is settling nicely into his new room. That will only last a week, because construction on his bathroom starts Monday. The transition for my Mom has been bumpy (being kind). She had a 3 day hospital stay that was horrible. Alzheimer's and hospitals are a really bad mix. They are not set up for a person with the disease, between the noise and sterile environment and the staff not being trained for a person with her needs, it took a very confused lady and turned her into very very angry lady. The Exorcist may have been mentioned more than once. Plus, dealing with the requirements for medicare and medicaid added to the stress. I have a lot of experience planning for it, but never had to implement a plan. My wife has a lot of experience admitting a person into a nursing home, but has never had to have one admitted. Siblings and their spouses do not help. My wife may have mentioned throat punch and sister in law (my brother's wife) a couple of times. It is amazing how selfish people can be.
The end result is both are settled in and doing well, in their new environment. My Dad said it is like a 100 lb weight has been lifted off of his shoulders and seems relaxed for the first time in a long time.

By the way did I mention that I had 3 trials and 2 contested hearings including testimony in the past 2 weeks. No stress here.

I have been able to resume normal training this week. I need it.

Also, Thank you for your concern and kind words. I have to admit that I really like the inspirations. I never knew about them before joining the group.
2016-02-16 4:06 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Denver, Colorado
Hey Mad Manatees,
I will be insanely busy with work in the next few weeks and may not have as much time to post. I will do my best to continue training (hopefully I will be able to have lunch during that time) and visit some blogs once in a while.
See you later and keep on doing this awesome job! And go racers, and heal DL's

2016-02-16 4:52 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by JBacarella I am back to my new normal this week, we are now the proud parents of 2 octogenarians. My father is settling nicely into his new room. That will only last a week, because construction on his bathroom starts Monday. The transition for my Mom has been bumpy (being kind). She had a 3 day hospital stay that was horrible. Alzheimer's and hospitals are a really bad mix. They are not set up for a person with the disease, between the noise and sterile environment and the staff not being trained for a person with her needs, it took a very confused lady and turned her into very very angry lady. The Exorcist may have been mentioned more than once. Plus, dealing with the requirements for medicare and medicaid added to the stress. I have a lot of experience planning for it, but never had to implement a plan. My wife has a lot of experience admitting a person into a nursing home, but has never had to have one admitted. Siblings and their spouses do not help. My wife may have mentioned throat punch and sister in law (my brother's wife) a couple of times. It is amazing how selfish people can be. The end result is both are settled in and doing well, in their new environment. My Dad said it is like a 100 lb weight has been lifted off of his shoulders and seems relaxed for the first time in a long time. By the way did I mention that I had 3 trials and 2 contested hearings including testimony in the past 2 weeks. No stress here. I have been able to resume normal training this week. I need it. Also, Thank you for your concern and kind words. I have to admit that I really like the inspirations. I never knew about them before joining the group.

What a challenge. So glad they are both settled now. 

2016-02-16 4:52 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by marysia83 Hey Mad Manatees, I will be insanely busy with work in the next few weeks and may not have as much time to post. I will do my best to continue training (hopefully I will be able to have lunch during that time) and visit some blogs once in a while. See you later and keep on doing this awesome job! And go racers, and heal DL's

Make sure you take care of YOU and just check in with us when you can.

2016-02-16 9:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by JBacarella

I am back to my new normal this week, we are now the proud parents of 2 octogenarians. My father is settling nicely into his new room. That will only last a week, because construction on his bathroom starts Monday. The transition for my Mom has been bumpy (being kind). She had a 3 day hospital stay that was horrible. Alzheimer's and hospitals are a really bad mix. They are not set up for a person with the disease, between the noise and sterile environment and the staff not being trained for a person with her needs, it took a very confused lady and turned her into very very angry lady. The Exorcist may have been mentioned more than once. Plus, dealing with the requirements for medicare and medicaid added to the stress. I have a lot of experience planning for it, but never had to implement a plan. My wife has a lot of experience admitting a person into a nursing home, but has never had to have one admitted. Siblings and their spouses do not help. My wife may have mentioned throat punch and sister in law (my brother's wife) a couple of times. It is amazing how selfish people can be.
The end result is both are settled in and doing well, in their new environment. My Dad said it is like a 100 lb weight has been lifted off of his shoulders and seems relaxed for the first time in a long time.

By the way did I mention that I had 3 trials and 2 contested hearings including testimony in the past 2 weeks. No stress here.

Also, Thank you for your concern and kind words. I have to admit that I really like the inspirations. I never knew about them before joining the group.

Wow, thats a lot to tackle all at once. I am sure its good that you carve out that time for yourself for training.
2016-02-17 5:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by JBacarella I am back to my new normal this week, we are now the proud parents of 2 octogenarians. My father is settling nicely into his new room. That will only last a week, because construction on his bathroom starts Monday. The transition for my Mom has been bumpy (being kind). She had a 3 day hospital stay that was horrible. Alzheimer's and hospitals are a really bad mix. They are not set up for a person with the disease, between the noise and sterile environment and the staff not being trained for a person with her needs, it took a very confused lady and turned her into very very angry lady. The Exorcist may have been mentioned more than once. Plus, dealing with the requirements for medicare and medicaid added to the stress. I have a lot of experience planning for it, but never had to implement a plan. My wife has a lot of experience admitting a person into a nursing home, but has never had to have one admitted. Siblings and their spouses do not help. My wife may have mentioned throat punch and sister in law (my brother's wife) a couple of times. It is amazing how selfish people can be. The end result is both are settled in and doing well, in their new environment. My Dad said it is like a 100 lb weight has been lifted off of his shoulders and seems relaxed for the first time in a long time. By the way did I mention that I had 3 trials and 2 contested hearings including testimony in the past 2 weeks. No stress here. I have been able to resume normal training this week. I need it. Also, Thank you for your concern and kind words. I have to admit that I really like the inspirations. I never knew about them before joining the group.

What a challenge. So glad they are both settled now. 

So glad that they are getting settled, hopefully that's the hard part done. I hope that you were on the winning side of all those legal events.

Enjoy your training.
2016-02-17 6:36 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

We've been thinking of you. Your parents are very lucky that you and your family are offering this help.  Good luck with the training and the cases.  It sounds like you are another law enforcement type Manatee?

2016-02-17 6:37 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by DaveL
Wow, thats a lot to tackle all at once. I am sure its good that you carve out that time for yourself for training.

I think that training helps to minimize the throat punches.

2016-02-17 7:09 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Just dreading the day I have to deal with these issues--no husband, no siblings. Plus it would be very difficult to bring medically needy parents overseas. Basically would be looking at unemployment or at best something part-time and being a full-time caregiver if it came to that--I have tried to arrange things financially so that would be possible.

I may be going off the radar as well for a few days due to a combo of travel and work. Heading to Singapore on Friday for a race (a sprint distance aquathlon--pretty much the shortest multi-sport event around!) and some developed-world shopping. Back for two days and then off to a national park with the kiddos for a three-day overnight field trip.

I have absolutely been a fatigue nightmare case this week. Back to work/reality after ten days of break, plus for some reason Monday through Wednesday have been fairly substantial training days. Think my coach is trying to figure out how to beat my tendency to get sick during taper by keeping the taper short. Or something like that. But together with going back to work, I've almost literally been crawling into bed before 8:30 at night. 8:10 now and I seriously am ready to call it a night!
2016-02-17 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by JBacarella

Oh my, that is an awful lot on the plate at one time. I hope you can get some training in to help alleviate the stress. And I'm glad your Dad is feeling better. But bathroom construction...ugh! That's no fun either.
2016-02-17 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

like the others have said, that is a lot on your plate!  I'm glad that things seem to have quieted down a bit for you (for now).  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 898 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.