BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-06-04 9:12 AM
in reply to: #5185298

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Nine mile run this morning followed by a quick 30 min high cadence spin on the trainer. Now I want s serious nap, but have to drive two hours to my nephew's high school graduation party. Something tells me getting out of the car is gonna be rough.

2016-06-04 9:39 AM
in reply to: #5185325

User image

DeLand, Florida
Good to see you all rocking it through the hard workouts! It's race season baby!

Anyone have any tips for intervals on the bike on the actual road? I tried today - just increasing cadence and effort for a minute at a time with a few minutes in between intervals. Very loosely organized...
2016-06-04 11:32 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

New user
Madrid
No experience here, what I do as intervals is when another cyclist passes me easily (and goes after saying "mooooorning!) I try to follow him for a few minutes.... Glad to see others suggestions.

Long ride this morning (3 hours, 84 km), I am ready for the "ultrafondo" ride next weekend!

Juan
2016-06-04 11:39 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

New user
Madrid
Yesterday I received the book Swim-Bike-Run-Eat after so many good comments and nice reviews and I am really enjoying reading it - most of it I know, but it is good to have all this information that we all get by reading articles here and there in a concise book. Hope it will help me to be faster and fitter!

Juan
2016-06-05 10:23 AM
in reply to: #5185327

User image

, Vermont
10 mile run in cool, rain - glad I waited to run today as it was 85 yesterday. (And lots of yard work yesterday).
Now for some eggs on toast, hot coffee and a hot shower.
2016-06-05 10:35 AM
in reply to: #5185373

User image

DeLand, Florida
Agreed - running in the cool rain is much better than the heat and humidity! Swapped my bike and run workouts for the weekend did a 10 mile bike yesterday early and did the 8 mile run today in the rain.

Oh and Jenn - thought of you yesterday, had two Switchbacks with my birthday dinner last night.

Happy weekend all!

2016-06-05 11:21 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Nine mile run this morning followed by a quick 30 min high cadence spin on the trainer. Now I want s serious nap, but have to drive two hours to my nephew's high school graduation party. Something tells me getting out of the car is gonna be rough.

Strong work. Driving sucks. Driving on sore legs sucks worse.
2016-06-05 11:22 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by aviatrix802

10 mile run in cool, rain - glad I waited to run today as it was 85 yesterday. (And lots of yard work yesterday).
Now for some eggs on toast, hot coffee and a hot shower.

I do love running in the rain. Nice job on 10.
2016-06-05 11:25 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
6.2 mile long run yesterday at moderate pace. Knee felt good. Think I may be recovered. Next effort will be Tuesday for an easy 4.1. Planning on ramping up for October marathon here on out.
2016-06-06 8:11 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice, relaxing day yesterday. Spent most of it woodworking. This morning was masters swim team. 2700m of what coach called "the storm".

Planned run this afternoon, 4-5 miles, depending on how hot it is and how the dog does with the warmer weather.
2016-06-06 10:05 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Just booked my hotel for my HIM in July! Things are getting real!!!! (as if the giant dime sized blister I have on one toe after Saturday's long run didn't suggest I was doing something!

2016-06-06 12:08 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by kevinbe

6.2 mile long run yesterday at moderate pace. Knee felt good. Think I may be recovered. Next effort will be Tuesday for an easy 4.1. Planning on ramping up for October marathon here on out.

Nice, Kevin! I'm glad to hear the knee is back!!
2016-06-06 12:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by firebert

Good to see you all rocking it through the hard workouts! It's race season baby!

Anyone have any tips for intervals on the bike on the actual road? I tried today - just increasing cadence and effort for a minute at a time with a few minutes in between intervals. Very loosely organized...

That's pretty much what I've done but with longer and longer sets, so 5 minutes on, 2 minutes off, do that 5 times. The next week maybe 8 minutes on, 2-3 minutes off, then the next week 10-12 minutes on, 5 minutes off. If you have a relatively flat place it's doable. I kept running into - I often had to begin my "off" set at the bottom of a hill so unless I kept it pretty loose or pre-planned really well, it didn't always work for me.

I'm now doing most all of my interval stuff on the trainer just because it's easier to regulate (as much as it stinks to be on a trainer). - Alan pointed that out to me and he's totally right.

I do an interval day, a hill repeat day, a short Z2 as part of a brick and then a long ride on the weekend. (though they're not as long as they should be at this stage....)

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-06-06 12:20 PM
2016-06-06 12:24 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by thor67

Well off camping tonight to the mountains for 4 nights! Truck, trailer and 8 bikes! Going to be a great weekend of road/mtn. biking, hiking, running and beers by the fire! 4 hours of work left... :-)

They have a portion of the hwy through the mountains closed until middle of june due to high mountain pass/animals that tons of bikers get the road to themselves.

http://www.hikebiketravel.com/31513/biking-the-highest-paved-road-in-canada/

I remember your pictures from last year! This is the same place, right?! Have a fantastic time...actually, you're probably back by now so I hope the weather worked out for you and no spills on bikes and no grizzlies in your path! Can't wait to hear about it!
2016-06-06 1:03 PM

User image

, Vermont
Rest day today - so I did yoga! I used to love doing yoga and just haven't recently but feeling tight has got to go, so I'm trying to make a weekly yoga class - just a simple one. A friend teaches it (she also does a fantastic Yoga for Runner's class I've done) and knows what I'm into this summer so comes over and pushes me farther into my stretches.
I'm also going to try getting a massage once a month - my awesome hubby got me a gift certificate to a local place for a few massages saying I'm "going to need them." ...he's so right.

Now I'm trying to navigate the nutrition thing for racing and in general. I'm working with Infinit to see how my body will work with it. From what I've read I should be taking in about 200 calories or so per hour on the bike...that would be like drinking 5 bottles worth of Infinit plus water (it's just over 200 cal per pouch/bottle).... First of all, I don't think my belly can even take in that much...so I'm considering 3 bottles of Infinit and may be trying Stinger Waffles. I'm getting this concern because I'm noticing I'm not always eating as much as I probably should and getting enough calories just on training days - protein in particular. Yes, I drink protein shakes. I just don't have the stomach volume. One girl mentioned her coach is having her use concentrated Infinit and following it with sips of water (a few sips of each about every 15 minutes or so). Not sure how my stomach would go for that unless I got it with very, very little flavor.
Gretchen I know you went to a nutritionist and I'd love to do the same, but man, I just bought a new cassette and chain rings (cha ching). I feel like I should know this stuff. My tri bike doesn't have much of a bento box - may only put some salts in there, it's tiny and built into the bike. Right now I have an aero bottle, one on my down tube, and a wing off my seat for two bottles. I'm thinking I can carry 3 bottles of pre-mixed Infinit there and the aero bottle will be water that I can refill at aid stations.
If anyone has any wisdom here, I'd be happy to hear it. I'd like to not have to stop at special needs for bike (I'm afraid if I get off I won't want to get back on!!!) hahahahaha
2016-06-06 4:25 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Rest day today - so I did yoga! I used to love doing yoga and just haven't recently but feeling tight has got to go, so I'm trying to make a weekly yoga class - just a simple one. A friend teaches it (she also does a fantastic Yoga for Runner's class I've done) and knows what I'm into this summer so comes over and pushes me farther into my stretches.
I'm also going to try getting a massage once a month - my awesome hubby got me a gift certificate to a local place for a few massages saying I'm "going to need them." ...he's so right.

Now I'm trying to navigate the nutrition thing for racing and in general. I'm working with Infinit to see how my body will work with it. From what I've read I should be taking in about 200 calories or so per hour on the bike...that would be like drinking 5 bottles worth of Infinit plus water (it's just over 200 cal per pouch/bottle).... First of all, I don't think my belly can even take in that much...so I'm considering 3 bottles of Infinit and may be trying Stinger Waffles. I'm getting this concern because I'm noticing I'm not always eating as much as I probably should and getting enough calories just on training days - protein in particular. Yes, I drink protein shakes. I just don't have the stomach volume. One girl mentioned her coach is having her use concentrated Infinit and following it with sips of water (a few sips of each about every 15 minutes or so). Not sure how my stomach would go for that unless I got it with very, very little flavor.
Gretchen I know you went to a nutritionist and I'd love to do the same, but man, I just bought a new cassette and chain rings (cha ching). I feel like I should know this stuff. My tri bike doesn't have much of a bento box - may only put some salts in there, it's tiny and built into the bike. Right now I have an aero bottle, one on my down tube, and a wing off my seat for two bottles. I'm thinking I can carry 3 bottles of pre-mixed Infinit there and the aero bottle will be water that I can refill at aid stations.
If anyone has any wisdom here, I'd be happy to hear it. I'd like to not have to stop at special needs for bike (I'm afraid if I get off I won't want to get back on!!!) hahahahaha

Jenn - I love hearing about the progress you are making on the fourth discipline. Based upon how much I know I way and think you way - 200 on the bike sounds about right. Due to my teacher wages - I tried to break my rides up into training rides and race prep rides - where I would really focus on race day nutriation. So, I shot for 400 calories an hour for my training rides and I would eat every 20 minutes. A gu at the top of the hour, 5 saltine crackers at the 20 minute mark, and 200 calories of fig newtons at the 40 minute mark. I didn't use gu more because it upset my stomach and I ate the saltines for the salt and calories. The fig newtons really quieted my stomach and I had no gi issues on race day. For my race prep rides, I did the gu that that passed out on the rides and also had one of the waffles on the 20 minute mark and then would eat one of the bars they gave out. This worked for me. I'm not sure it will help you at all because your going with Infinit and I never had the opportunity to use that.

As I gear up for IMNC - I need to start thinkning nutrition as well

2016-06-06 4:26 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Just booked my hotel for my HIM in July! Things are getting real!!!! (as if the giant dime sized blister I have on one toe after Saturday's long run didn't suggest I was doing something!

You are going to crush it!
2016-06-06 4:26 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kevinbe

Glad to hear the wheels are back in business. Take it slow. You've got plenty of time!

DQ
2016-06-06 5:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

One more half marathon is in the books! This was a trail run and the hilly terrain took it's toll on me, here is the race report. I'm looking forward to another trail HM later this year and this one taught me a few lessons on how to approach them and the extra training I need to do.

Edited by MOlsen 2016-06-07 5:52 PM
2016-06-07 7:56 AM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
That sounds like a super challenging course Mark. Way to go on the finish!
2016-06-07 6:44 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, Vermont
Mark, awesome job!!!! Trail running races can be so tough!!! Well done!

2016-06-07 6:55 PM
in reply to: #5185867

User image

, Vermont
2,300 yd swim with lots of pulling. Two weeks ago I swam my 2.4 miles and the usual 3000+ yds in subsequent swim sessions. Last Wednesday I noticed one of my right rotator cuff muscles was displeased with these efforts (old softball pitching injury/ski accident) so I took the week off swimming and the pain lessened.
Today I decided to give it a go but kept it to 2,300 yds instead of the plan's 3,000. It felt pretty good, we'll see how it feels tomorrow and carefully ease back in this week.
Followed it up with a 4 mile run with three 4.5 minute zone 4 efforts. I got the speed sets in I needed but cut the cool down off for a baseball game...which then ended in the first inning for lightning....so I came home and ate an entire Newman's Own roasted veggie frozen pizza....I don't even want to know the sodium content.
2016-06-07 9:30 PM
in reply to: #5185871

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Smart holding back on the swim. Hope your shoulder feels good moving forward. If it's an old injury, it sounds like you have experience dealing with it. Smart to listen to your body.

That run sounds fantastic. I do a little over 2 minute efforts like that, but don't allow enough recovery as I'm still running at a pretty strong clip afterwards. What type of recovery do you run after your interval?
2016-06-08 8:03 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Originally posted by firebert Good to see you all rocking it through the hard workouts! It's race season baby! Anyone have any tips for intervals on the bike on the actual road? I tried today - just increasing cadence and effort for a minute at a time with a few minutes in between intervals. Very loosely organized...

I find sections of road that match the nature of the interval. If I'm doing 5-10-20 minute intervals I find a nice long flat stretch of road. 

I like to use punchy climbs to do one minute intervals on and for sprints I find a nice quiet block with a 500m stretch of road and do loops around it. 

Generally when I'm out on the road doing longer rides I set a steady tempo pace and ride that pace for at least 90minutes. Effort will undulate a little but it's still really good riding and I usually see some of my best gains from those rides. 

Training on the road is always going to be far less structured than the trainer, especially if you use something like Trainer Road. There are benefits to road riding that you can't get from trainer riding, one being fatigue resistance. Try going hard up a short climb and then instead of backing off at the top, shift down a couple gears and try to maintain a firm effort (even if it's less than the effort you went up the climb with). Try to hold that effort until your legs start to recover a bit. 

As a example, go up the climb in zone 5 and then back off to zone 3 once at the top. Don't just shift into an easy gear and roll easy until your legs are recovered. 

Another good outdoor interval is to find a road with some nice rollers (the kind that take only 10-15 seconds to go over and hammer over each one. Same principle as above. Set a solid tempo pace but when you come to the little hill hammer over it (staying seated and just increasing your cadence to increase effort) and then settle back down into your rhythm over the top. 

2016-06-08 8:10 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2400m of master's swimming this morning. Thought my arms were going to fall off from the first 100m--over did it a little yesterday working in my garage, so I was sore to start with.

60 min bike with intervals scheduled for later this afternoon. Time to try some of Alan's suggestions!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6429 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17693 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.