BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-06-08 12:56 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Rest day today - so I did yoga! I used to love doing yoga and just haven't recently but feeling tight has got to go, so I'm trying to make a weekly yoga class - just a simple one. A friend teaches it (she also does a fantastic Yoga for Runner's class I've done) and knows what I'm into this summer so comes over and pushes me farther into my stretches. I'm also going to try getting a massage once a month - my awesome hubby got me a gift certificate to a local place for a few massages saying I'm "going to need them." ...he's so right. Now I'm trying to navigate the nutrition thing for racing and in general. I'm working with Infinit to see how my body will work with it. From what I've read I should be taking in about 200 calories or so per hour on the bike...that would be like drinking 5 bottles worth of Infinit plus water (it's just over 200 cal per pouch/bottle).... First of all, I don't think my belly can even take in that much...so I'm considering 3 bottles of Infinit and may be trying Stinger Waffles. I'm getting this concern because I'm noticing I'm not always eating as much as I probably should and getting enough calories just on training days - protein in particular. Yes, I drink protein shakes. I just don't have the stomach volume. One girl mentioned her coach is having her use concentrated Infinit and following it with sips of water (a few sips of each about every 15 minutes or so). Not sure how my stomach would go for that unless I got it with very, very little flavor. Gretchen I know you went to a nutritionist and I'd love to do the same, but man, I just bought a new cassette and chain rings (cha ching). I feel like I should know this stuff. My tri bike doesn't have much of a bento box - may only put some salts in there, it's tiny and built into the bike. Right now I have an aero bottle, one on my down tube, and a wing off my seat for two bottles. I'm thinking I can carry 3 bottles of pre-mixed Infinit there and the aero bottle will be water that I can refill at aid stations. If anyone has any wisdom here, I'd be happy to hear it. I'd like to not have to stop at special needs for bike (I'm afraid if I get off I won't want to get back on!!!) hahahahaha

I would try to get your calories from solid foods as often as possible. I would go with an electrolyte drink like NUUN or something light and easy on the stomach. Every few km along the course they'll hold out a quarter of a banana, grab one every time they offer it and take 2-3 stinger waffles (they're SO delicious and easy to consume) but make sure to pre-open the package before the race. I wouldn't bother with salt tabs. Take one when you get off the bike and during the run if you need to. 

Personally I think infinit ( and all of those fancy mixes) are just gimmicky sludge. 

Avoid protein while racing. It only adds a mild benefit and is very hard to digest. Also avoid bars high in protein. 

2016-06-08 8:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by adempsey10

I would try to get your calories from solid foods as often as possible. I would go with an electrolyte drink like NUUN or something light and easy on the stomach. Every few km along the course they'll hold out a quarter of a banana, grab one every time they offer it and take 2-3 stinger waffles (they're SO delicious and easy to consume) but make sure to pre-open the package before the race. I wouldn't bother with salt tabs. Take one when you get off the bike and during the run if you need to. 

Personally I think infinit ( and all of those fancy mixes) are just gimmicky sludge. 

Avoid protein while racing. It only adds a mild benefit and is very hard to digest. Also avoid bars high in protein. 

I will definitely do the waffles (need to pick some up, I've never used them before). I have NUUN but oddly it doesn't agree with me that much, I don't know what it is. I think it's the flavor or something - I've tried a bunch of flavors. Gatorade kills me too - way too sweet unless I water it down to 3:1 water to Gatorade. I'm less concerned about the run because you had mentioned the bananas- I will definitely do that. Do they have bananas on the bike too? That would be tough to deal with. I think they have Cliff gels on the route....I'm used to GU so I'll carry a few of those. I'd love to bring my usual pb & honey sandwich for the bike but I really don't have any way of carrying it on the tri bike. I'm going to trial and error some things in the coming weeks on my long rides - heading up the Notch this Saturday I think, that will be a slap in the face.

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-06-08 8:27 PM
2016-06-08 8:29 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by firebert

Oh and Jenn - thought of you yesterday, had two Switchbacks with my birthday dinner last night.

Happy weekend all!

Niiiiice!! Good stuff! I have a case of their ale in the fridge and a few of their seasonal Citra Pils.
2016-06-08 8:30 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Just booked my hotel for my HIM in July! Things are getting real!!!! (as if the giant dime sized blister I have on one toe after Saturday's long run didn't suggest I was doing something!

How's that blister treating you??? Hopefully it's healing and not causing any issues!
2016-06-08 8:40 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by kevinbe

Smart holding back on the swim. Hope your shoulder feels good moving forward. If it's an old injury, it sounds like you have experience dealing with it. Smart to listen to your body.

That run sounds fantastic. I do a little over 2 minute efforts like that, but don't allow enough recovery as I'm still running at a pretty strong clip afterwards. What type of recovery do you run after your interval?

This particular run was a 1 hour effort (that I cut short) which uses HR and looks something like this:
1:00 Z2 (@ 0:10, insert 3 x 4.5 min Z4 @ 2 min jog; then 2 x 2 min Z4 @ 1 min jog)

It's from the intermediate program in Be Iron Fit. - sometimes I do the Competitive Program but that night I didn't have time. I think the only difference was one more 4.5 minute effort at Z4.

I actually did the recoveries at 3 min because I forgot it was 2 until I got back. Doh. I also only did one of the 2 min Z4 at the end because I had to get child to baseball (as it was, I got him there 15 minutes late for pregame...bad mommy).
2016-06-08 8:43 PM

User image

, Vermont
Brick in the books this morning: 45 minutes on the trainer followed by 30 minute run.

Oh, randomly looking at signing up for a HIM in a week and a half on the last weekend of June at Tupper Lake, NY. - same one I did last year (but had to switch to the Aquabike). Trying to find lodging late in the game....
It happens to fall right when my plan calls for a HIM so that's kind of perfect. That will give me a chance to actually use my tri bike in a race on hills over a decent distance and practice nutrition in a real race environment. I think it would also be good since technically I haven't done a HIM! I had a great time doing the swim and bike last year and had energy left over but never got to do the run after to see how my body would react. Plus my electrolyte drink (Skratch) was not properly shaken so I had major stomach pain for half the bike so I'm seeking a little redemption....

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-06-08 8:48 PM

2016-06-09 7:14 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

One more half marathon is in the books! This was a trail run and the hilly terrain took it's toll on me, here is the race report. I'm looking forward to another trail HM later this year and this one taught me a few lessons on how to approach them and the extra training I need to do.

Superb! Great to hear that you knocked off another despite the tough conditions. One of these days I want to do a trail HM - you are blazing the trail for both of us! Kudos!
2016-06-09 7:16 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by firebert Good to see you all rocking it through the hard workouts! It's race season baby! Anyone have any tips for intervals on the bike on the actual road? I tried today - just increasing cadence and effort for a minute at a time with a few minutes in between intervals. Very loosely organized...

I find sections of road that match the nature of the interval. If I'm doing 5-10-20 minute intervals I find a nice long flat stretch of road. 

I like to use punchy climbs to do one minute intervals on and for sprints I find a nice quiet block with a 500m stretch of road and do loops around it. 

Generally when I'm out on the road doing longer rides I set a steady tempo pace and ride that pace for at least 90minutes. Effort will undulate a little but it's still really good riding and I usually see some of my best gains from those rides. 

Training on the road is always going to be far less structured than the trainer, especially if you use something like Trainer Road. There are benefits to road riding that you can't get from trainer riding, one being fatigue resistance. Try going hard up a short climb and then instead of backing off at the top, shift down a couple gears and try to maintain a firm effort (even if it's less than the effort you went up the climb with). Try to hold that effort until your legs start to recover a bit. 

As a example, go up the climb in zone 5 and then back off to zone 3 once at the top. Don't just shift into an easy gear and roll easy until your legs are recovered. 

Another good outdoor interval is to find a road with some nice rollers (the kind that take only 10-15 seconds to go over and hammer over each one. Same principle as above. Set a solid tempo pace but when you come to the little hill hammer over it (staying seated and just increasing your cadence to increase effort) and then settle back down into your rhythm over the top. 

Great post! We are lucky to have you Alan! You are, as always, the man!
2016-06-09 7:17 AM

User image

Expert

2400m of master's swimming this morning. Thought my arms were going to fall off from the first 100m--over did it a little yesterday working in my garage, so I was sore to start with.

60 min bike with intervals scheduled for later this afternoon. Time to try some of Alan's suggestions!

The terminator doesn't let a little lifting lessen her efforts! Way to go Gretchen!
2016-06-09 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Brick in the books this morning: 45 minutes on the trainer followed by 30 minute run.

Oh, randomly looking at signing up for a HIM in a week and a half on the last weekend of June at Tupper Lake, NY. - same one I did last year (but had to switch to the Aquabike). Trying to find lodging late in the game....
It happens to fall right when my plan calls for a HIM so that's kind of perfect. That will give me a chance to actually use my tri bike in a race on hills over a decent distance and practice nutrition in a real race environment. I think it would also be good since technically I haven't done a HIM! I had a great time doing the swim and bike last year and had energy left over but never got to do the run after to see how my body would react. Plus my electrolyte drink (Skratch) was not properly shaken so I had major stomach pain for half the bike so I'm seeking a little redemption....

Know this Jenn - You will crush both your HIM and your IM! With all the hard work that you are doing with your training and the focus your are giving to your nutrition - you will finish both with an ease that will surprise you!
2016-06-09 12:29 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I love the thought of "randomly" signing up for a HIM.

2016-06-09 12:35 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Long run in the books for this week, 7.16miles on a beautiful, sunny, warm, breezy day. Actually couldn't really ask for a much better day to run long. I really enjoyed the whole thing this week.

I've been playing with my nutrition some lately, although probably not nearly as much or as seriously as I should be. I need to knuckle down and figure out how to survive a HIM. Lately I've been eating a lot of dried pineapple during rides and long runs. I really like it, but do wish the pieces were a little bigger. The stuff I have is cut in 1cm cubes instead of chunks. When I run out, I'll def be getting bigger chunks!! The pineapple seems to work well for fueling, but sure does leave my mouth sugary--as long as there is water around, I'm good though.

Someone mentioned Nuun. I don't like it. The fizzy leaves my stomach a mess, even when I'm not training (we use it in Egypt sometimes). I also read somewhere if you dilute Gatorade, you won't get the benefits from it in terms of calories or electrolytes. That your body will see it as water only and not expect there to be any calories available, so it processes it differently (like water instead of food). I can't remember where I read that, but it stuck in my mind because I used to dilute gatorade too. I have found Powerade doesn't have that sticky sweetness to it that Gatorade seems to have. Of course, most courses (in my experiences) don't have Powerade, so it may not be a great idea to get used to Powerade.
2016-06-09 1:32 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

For liquid nutrition I'm a big fan of Fluid. It's a local company and many of the local events feature it on the course. No "sticky sweetness" to it and I've never had any GI problems.

2016-06-10 11:39 AM

User image

, Vermont

I totally apologize, I should have worded it differently. The plan I'm using has one in the schedule and I was going to have to create my own but fortunately there was one going on not too far away (and reasonably priced) that I could do instead and take advantage of having medical and food/water support. The use of "randomly" may insinuate things I didn't want to insinuate. All race lengths are a b*&%h and training for them all is hard work and bada$$.
Again, I apologize for anything taken the wrong way! It's random for me because I hadn't planned on it and my husband encouraged me to do it even though there's a 2 day soccer tournament (I almost never miss the kids' events). (of course I haven't secured housing yet and so still haven't signed up for it... )
2016-06-10 11:39 AM

User image

, Vermont

For liquid nutrition I'm a big fan of Fluid. It's a local company and many of the local events feature it on the course. No "sticky sweetness" to it and I've never had any GI problems.

I've never heard of this! I will look into it as well! I love learning about new things!
2016-06-10 12:48 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Masters swim this morning--only 1700m, but they were hard sprints for the most part. I ended up doing my fastest 50s ever. I walked out a happy woman.

Superman metric century ride tomorrow! My first organized, non-race ride. I'm excited to get my long ride in with some variety in scenery.

2016-06-10 3:02 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

I've never heard of this! I will look into it as well! I love learning about new things!

My favorites are the "Passion Fruit Tea" (for a touch of caffeine) while I'm on course and "Tropical Escape" for after training protein.

2016-06-11 3:44 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

New user
Madrid
Really enjoying this "talk" about nutrition, I realized it is much more relevant than what I thought. In my case, my stomach is really tolerant, but I realized that a) real food is much better than gels for me, b) almost any electrolyte drink is fine with me, no particular flavor or brand that I try to avoid, but not Powerade as is the only one with no sodium and I don´t take salt tables to make my nutrition easier, trust the sodium in the sport drinks, and c) my routine in races is as simple as possible: prior to the swim, cliff gel (I find cliff the best flavor, easier to swallow and not so sweet), during the bike every 20 min 1/2 a cliff bar, gel, gel (trade 1 gel for half a banana if at aid station) and keep it for every hour, and drink 750ml -if I can drink only sports drinks better, but my aero bottle only has water and the two other bottles only sports drink). And during the run, only coke and sports drink (water to cool down)

Very easy week on training -not so easy at work- but looking forward for the 100k ride tomorrow.
Have a great weekend!

Juan
2016-06-11 3:51 AM

User image

New user
Madrid

One more half marathon is in the books! This was a trail run and the hilly terrain took it's toll on me, here is the race report. I'm looking forward to another trail HM later this year and this one taught me a few lessons on how to approach them and the extra training I need to do.

Well done! Looks like the perfect day for trail running - no beer after the race??

Juan
2016-06-11 7:20 PM
in reply to: #5186307

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Superman ride done! It was HOT and VERY hilly. Happy to have done it, but also very happy to not have to run a HM afterwards! Hit a new max speed on a downhill--43.8mph. Gravity is my friend!!
2016-06-13 7:37 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I totally apologize, I should have worded it differently. The plan I'm using has one in the schedule and I was going to have to create my own but fortunately there was one going on not too far away (and reasonably priced) that I could do instead and take advantage of having medical and food/water support. The use of "randomly" may insinuate things I didn't want to insinuate. All race lengths are a b*&%h and training for them all is hard work and bada$$.
Again, I apologize for anything taken the wrong way! It's random for me because I hadn't planned on it and my husband encouraged me to do it even though there's a 2 day soccer tournament (I almost never miss the kids' events). (of course I haven't secured housing yet and so still haven't signed up for it... )

No apology necessary! I really do love the idea of signing up for a HIM on the spur of the moment! It is BDAS!

2016-06-13 7:40 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning masters swim done, 1700m on the first glorious day of recovery week! The possibilities are endless of what I could do with all my extra time and energy! Ok, lets be honest. I'm likely to sleep more and obsess about my Oly this weekend. I need to squeeze in an OWS too. RD emailed this morning and it looks like the race will not be wetsuit legal. Not bad for me since I haven't been in my wetsuit since last September. Heck, it may not even fit anymore! On the other hand, I also haven't been in OW since last September! Eek! I kinda let this race slip up on me. Going to try to get one in this week just to remind myself.

Planned run later this afternoon.
2016-06-13 4:18 PM

User image

, Vermont

No apology necessary! I really do love the idea of signing up for a HIM on the spur of the moment! It is BDAS!

Oh!!! hahahaha! That is often my MO as my schedule can be so nutty!
It would be so fun to get a bunch of us together over a beer. I would truly love that.

Wow, this edited funny. I must have deleted too many sections and it thinks I'm you now! haha

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-06-13 4:22 PM
2016-06-13 4:52 PM

User image

, Vermont
Juan, let me know if you received my response. I never know if I respond correctly on the messages. haha
2016-06-13 5:28 PM

User image

, Vermont
Did my Smugg's Notch ride on Saturday... cold and windy and my legs were tired from the run the previous day of Z4 work. Legs were spent enough that once I reached the resort I pulled off to the side just cussing and furious that I wasn't cutting the mustard. Then I took a look around and guess what.. my rear brake had been rubbing the whole way up. Bwahahahaha! I am trying to embrace that I had an extra bit of resistence workout, but the OCD side of me only sees that I didn't go quite all the way to the top - thus the middle "bump" is shorter than the two outside bumps; it should be taller. Doh! I had adjusted it on a trainer ride for just such a thing and I'm wondering if I got bumped too far or what. I'm usually good about "preflighting my ride" - certainly with tire pressures! Ah well. I'm only a few miles short but also almost 900' short of elevation gain on that ride. Next time!

Sunday was a 10.3 mile run - cold and rainy. After the first 6, I stopped to switch my jacket for a vest and as soon as I started again, the rain kicked in and it was going sideways and light hail. Mid-40's temps. Brr. This week will have us up to the mid-80's. We're a hearty bunch here. hhaha

(notch ride profile.png)

(Notch ride.png)

Attachments
----------------
notch ride profile.png (89KB - 4 downloads)
Notch ride.png (147KB - 2 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6411 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17638 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.