General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Seal vs Sea Lion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-02-02 8:54 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Seal vs Sea Lion
This is semi-related to another post this morning, but I didn't want to highjack the thread. I may be the worst kicker on the planet. I have always hated kick sets and in my adult return to swimming, I simply didn't do them. I then started using flippers and kicking became fun again. I started incorporating more kicking into my workouts and got pretty fast with my flippers. I especially like UDK and, with flippers, can get down to 1:20ish/100m. So, like a kid with training wheels, I started to get confident. Well, this morning at masters, we had a set of 8x200 with a 100 between each which was 25 kick, 50 sprint, 25 kick. So I said, what the hey, and ditched the flippers.....holy crap I am still slow... I mean sloooooooow. Like unable to have enough propulsion to actually keep myself straight in the lane and I start to yaw all over the place. I'm talking 3:00/100m at blazing all out effort. It was painful. Being a decent swimmer, this is kind of frustrating. So what gives? And more importantly, does it even matter? I managed all 8 of my 200's under 2:50 with the last of each set of 4 descending at around 2:40 (SCM). Apparently, this is 99% arms, considering how pathetic my kick is. So my question is two fold; one, does it matter? And two, if yes, how do you get faster? It's not like crawl where it is form...or at least I don't think so. Spending the last two months in fins has apparently done nothing.

Note: I only use fins for kick sets, I've never used them to actually swim. I tried once and it threw my balance and timing off completely and I hated it.

Edited by 3mar 2016-02-02 8:56 AM

2016-02-02 9:07 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Seal vs Sea Lion

the contribution of kick for propulsion vs body position/balance shouldn't be an opinionated discussion......3..2...1......

2016-02-02 9:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

As you probably know, most of it is ankle flexibility.  Running and cycling doesn't help that.  It was brutal, but I watched my kid go from basically kicking backwards to being able to kick a 100 in 1:35 - 1:40.  Even with that he is the slowest kicker on his club.  It's funny, because when you put fins on him he out kicks EVERYBODY on the club.....including the guys who can kick 1:10 - 1:15/100....pure swimmers with Olympic trial cuts.  The brutal part is that for the first year he swam he probably did kick sets for 60-75% of his work.  His coaches just demanded it because it was so weak.

Does it matter?  If you are first group out of the water in AG racing, like you are, then that's a legitimate question.......maybe not.  If you are BOP or MOP and want to get faster.....it probably does.  Kicking is part of fast swimming.....to argue otherwise is silly.

My kid still does a ton of kick work......but he says it helps his run tremendously.  I know that's a different discussion, but he has a very well developed hip girdle because of all the kicking so I'm not willing to say he's wrong.

ETA 3Mar - those number are for SCY, not SCM like you are doing.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-02-02 9:11 AM
2016-02-02 9:25 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Left Brain

As you probably know, most of it is ankle flexibility. 

I didn't know that. So that's interesting. It doesn't seem like something quick to remedy, and given a limit of time for training, my gut tells me it's just not worth it. Now that I swim with some ex-collegiate swimmers, I see what a powerful kick really is. The dude next to me was doing UDK on his back, no flippers and the wake he created just about knocked me off my kickboard as he went by. This is a guy who I can hang with for the most part doing freestyle*. That's what sparked this; my initial reaction is like a kid seeing someone with a nice car and going, I want that! But will it help, or is my time better spent on something else. I'm thinking it's something else.

*He could absolutely toast me if he wanted, but at the pace he typically trains, I'm right with him.
2016-02-02 9:30 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar

As you probably know, most of it is ankle flexibility. 

I didn't know that. So that's interesting. It doesn't seem like something quick to remedy, and given a limit of time for training, my gut tells me it's just not worth it. Now that I swim with some ex-collegiate swimmers, I see what a powerful kick really is. The dude next to me was doing UDK on his back, no flippers and the wake he created just about knocked me off my kickboard as he went by. This is a guy who I can hang with for the most part doing freestyle*. That's what sparked this; my initial reaction is like a kid seeing someone with a nice car and going, I want that! But will it help, or is my time better spent on something else. I'm thinking it's something else. *He could absolutely toast me if he wanted, but at the pace he typically trains, I'm right with him.

Yep, with your swim times and your triathlon ambitions I wouldn't disagree.

2016-02-02 9:38 AM

User image

How old was the guy the you swimming next to?  The kids today are so much better at kicking IMO.  My guess is partly from the change in turns and starts with underwaters.   This comes from someone else who is horrible at kicking.  Always have been and if it matters I am an ex collegiate swimmer.   I'm pretty sure my problem at least is a weak core.   My son is 7 and just finished his first year of pre team.  Actually just had his first meet which was awesome to watch.  I feel like LB here.  Anyway, I have worked with him on his kick since probably before he could walk.  He's been in swim lessons since 6 months and they do kicking regularly.  I'm afraid to do a lap kicking with him because he would crush me.  He's like a motor boat kicking, it's pretty amazing.

I did make the decision now that I'm back in the pool to spend a little more time kicking with flippers.  I did that a bit last year and enjoyed it. 

2016-02-02 9:51 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

How old was the guy the you swimming next to?  The kids today are so much better at kicking IMO.  My guess is partly from the change in turns and starts with underwaters.   This comes from someone else who is horrible at kicking.  Always have been and if it matters I am an ex collegiate swimmer.   I'm pretty sure my problem at least is a weak core.   My son is 7 and just finished his first year of pre team.  Actually just had his first meet which was awesome to watch.  I feel like LB here.  Anyway, I have worked with him on his kick since probably before he could walk.  He's been in swim lessons since 6 months and they do kicking regularly.  I'm afraid to do a lap kicking with him because he would crush me.  He's like a motor boat kicking, it's pretty amazing.

I did make the decision now that I'm back in the pool to spend a little more time kicking with flippers.  I did that a bit last year and enjoyed it. 

He is in his 20's. There is another ex-collegiate swimmer in his late 40's maybe, who has a totally different style kick. Not nearly as strong, you can totally tell the generational difference. The older guy is really the one that keeps me on my toes though. You can tell he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder that a triathlete is keeping up with him. He and I battle it out ever practice.

This is an aside, but I can see why swimmers have negative connotations towards triathletes. Now that I'm with this group, the three of us typically swim together and there are barrages of triathletes that come and go. Many are the same, they come in, and kind of arrogantly slip in, "Well, I'm a triathlete, so..." as if it's some great thing. Then when we do the first set and by the time they make it back to the wall they're gasping for breath and looking over like, what the hell just happened. They will try to keep up then cut the practice short, leave the pool never to be heard from again. This isn't all of them, there is myself and other semi-regulars that are triathletes, but there is definitely an archetype that you see at least twice a month who never come back.
2016-02-02 9:57 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I'm also a former swimmer that sucks at kicking unless I have fins on.  

A couple of winters ago I decided I was going to try to work on it (sort of).  I started doing a set of 10 x 50 on a tight interval at the end of most of my warm ups and once I had done them a few times and gotten over the "I'm too slow, this sucks and is too hard" part then I started doing them with some conviction.  I also experimented a bit with technique to see what made me faster.  In the end, I improved my kick times to the point that I sucked less without a ton of time commitment.  Did it improve my swim times?  That's debatable.  I suspect my top end speed for 50s and 100s improved for sure.  My tri swimming pace (where I do a much lighter 2ish beat kick) probably didn't change much.

2016-02-02 10:39 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by 3mar  So my question is two fold; one, does it matter? And two, if yes, how do you get faster?

Many FOP triathletes get along just fine utilizing a two-beat kick primarily for balance and stabilization.  

Is your goal to be a faster overall triathlete, or just a faster swimmer?    Answering that will tell you where you need to allocate your limited training time & effort.  It's the old diminishing returns discussion.

I've improved my swimming by swimming with a masters group, getting good coaching and spending time in the pool.  On the other hand, I attribute my best triathlon results to spending time on the bike.  

Mark 

2016-02-02 10:48 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Exton, PA
Good post!

triathletes spend too much time with swim toys.

Fins have limited use in helping people swim better/faster. there can be a place for them but I would argue very limited and only under a coaches supervision.

I've never used fins (except to scuba dive) but did the 5 100's kick last week between a 1:40 and 1:45, leaving on the 2:30.

I spent 11 years teaching and coaching after my competitive days; still believe that 80% of your swimming should be done with out paddle, bouys, fins.
2016-02-02 10:58 AM

User image

Originally posted by 3mar  Apparently, this is 99% arms, considering how pathetic my kick is

I would bet that a lot of that is in your head.  Try doing a few sets with a band and see how your times stack up.  I say that because one thing I noticed getting back in the pool last week after a break was my form.  Reading posts by AOS on here and having trouble with their body position I had a brief glimpse the first day back.  I think after about 500 yds I felt myself dragging and realized my feet were low.  The next swim my position was fine but I did remember the feeling from the day before and how drastically different it was.  So even with a weak kick I am going to guess you are still keeping yourself in a good position based on what I've read from you in the past.

2016-02-02 11:37 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by RedCorvette

Many FOP triathletes get along just fine utilizing a two-beat kick primarily for balance and stabilization.  

+1 Kicking for notable propulsion is fine if you are swimming a 100 yard race, but try keeping up that pace for a 1500m distance.
2016-02-02 12:01 PM

User image

Sea lions have ear flaps. Seals do not. . I know kicking is supposed to be good for you and I do kick sets, but I'm a pretty slow kicker and am usually top 10% out of the water. Mostly wetsuit swims. Like strength training, while kicking may provide some sort of benefit I don't sweat it too much. I'm in he camp that swimming more makes you swim faster

Edited by ChrisM 2016-02-02 12:04 PM
2016-02-02 12:10 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Oysterboy

+1 Kicking for notable propulsion is fine if you are swimming a 100 yard race, but try keeping up that pace for a 1500m distance.

I know the point you  are making and I get it.....BUT.....go watch an open water swim race, or a DL triathlon with people who can actually swim fast.  They kick, and it's all part of their fast swim times.  No, they can't keep their 100 yard pace up for 1500.....but they can EASILY keep mine or your 100 pace up for that long (probably anyone on this thread) and kicking is part of the reason why.  Let's face it....you can't keep your 100M run time up for 1500M either, so that analogy sinks pretty quick. Fast swimming is fast swimming.......a strong kick is part of it.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-02-02 12:14 PM
2016-02-02 12:14 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I know the point you  are making and I get it.....BUT.....go watch an open water swim race, or a DL triathlon with people who can actually swim fast.  They kick, and it's all part of their fast swim times.  No, they can't keep their 100 yard pace up for 1500.....but they can EASILY keep mine or your 100 pace up for that long (probably anyone on this thread) and kicking is part of the reason why.  Fast swimming is fast swimming.......kicking is part of it.

This is very true.  If you truly want to be come the fastest swimmer you can be then become a good kicker.  

2016-02-02 12:26 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

I know the point you  are making and I get it.....BUT.....go watch an open water swim race, or a DL triathlon with people who can actually swim fast.  They kick, and it's all part of their fast swim times.  No, they can't keep their 100 yard pace up for 1500.....but they can EASILY keep mine or your 100 pace up for that long (probably anyone on this thread) and kicking is part of the reason why.  Fast swimming is fast swimming.......kicking is part of it.

This is very true.  If you truly want to be come the fastest swimmer you can be then become a good kicker.  

Watch any ITU race and this is clear

2016-02-02 12:43 PM

User image

I wouldn't worry too much about your raw kicking power unless you plan to abandon triathlon to take up racing the 50 and 100 freestyle. As others have mentioned, the kick at distance racing pace is almost all about counteracting torque and driving good rotation for a better reach with the recovering hand, and very little about propulsion.

The only potential benefit I see from flippers is that, when used with a good stretching routine, they can improve ankle flexibility. For swimming, it is ideal if you can flex your ankles beyond 180 degrees. If you can't hold your ankles flexed at 180 degrees or more while you swim, your inducing additional drag.

Edited by gary p 2016-02-02 1:07 PM
2016-02-02 12:59 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by ChrisM

Yep..  My masters coach was an ITU world champion, and she has us swimming with a six-beat kick all the time in practice.  If you want to "swim" a triathlon, a 2-beat kick will work OK; if you want to RACE it, then you need to have a 6-beat kick in your arsenal.  You may not need to employ it all the time, but it has to be there when you do.  The catch is that developing a strong 6-beat kick takes work and commitment.  That's where an individual needs to decide what their priorities are.  Triathlon training is always about compromise and balance with S/B/R.

Mark

2016-02-02 1:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

these guys aren't bad and there is a mix. Not Jr Elite, but not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIa6LG54RP8&feature=youtu.be&t=50

Edited by marcag 2016-02-02 1:04 PM
2016-02-02 1:12 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag

these guys aren't bad and there is a mix. Not Jr Elite, but not bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIa6LG54RP8&feature=youtu.be&...

There's no mix in that swim......kick or be beaten out of the water at that level.  AG triathlon is the only swim competition where you can get away with not kicking and still be near the FOP.  You can't be a FOP swimmer in any upper level swim competition without a strong kick.  Again.....any other notion is silly.

2016-02-02 1:13 PM

User image

My masters coach was an ITU world champion, and she has us swimming with a six-beat kick all the time in practice.  If you want to "swim" a triathlon, a 2-beat kick will work OK; if you want to RACE it, then you need to have a 6-beat kick in your arsenal.  You may not need to employ it all the time, but it has to be there when you do.  The catch is that developing a strong 6-beat kick takes work and commitment.  That's where an individual needs to decide what their priorities are.  Triathlon training is always about compromise and balance with S/B/R.

Mark

Being able to swim with a six beat kick and having a powerful kick aren't necessarily the same thing. I know a lot of people, my self included, who can effectively employ a six beat kick but aren't particularly fast with a kickboard and no fins. A 6 beat can be useful for additional stability in rough water, or for additional stability at higher stroke rates. In neither situation are you necessarily deriving any significant additional propulsion from the kick.

Edited by gary p 2016-02-02 1:13 PM

2016-02-02 1:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag

these guys aren't bad and there is a mix. Not Jr Elite, but not bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIa6LG54RP8&feature=youtu.be&t=50

There's no mix in that swim......kick or be beaten out of the water at that level.  AG triathlon is the only swim competition where you can get away with not kicking and still be near the FOP.  You can't be a FOP swimmer in any upper level swim competition without a strong kick.  Again.....any other notion is silly.

Are you saying those guys kicks aren't good or are they not fast ? Not everyone has a strong kick in that group

Edited by marcag 2016-02-02 1:23 PM
2016-02-02 1:37 PM
in reply to: #5164849

Anecdotal: my wife and I swim the same speed when we both straight swim at "race pace" on longer distances. I don't really kick at all, she does.

When we do pull sets, I cruise about 10-15 seconds per hundred faster, when we do kick sets, she beats me by that same margin......

She was a college swimmer as well (read as:fast) and says it's all about ankle flexibility.

Point is, it can make a big difference in your overall speed.
2016-02-02 1:37 PM

User image

Yep..  My masters coach was an ITU world champion, and she has us swimming with a six-beat kick all the time in practice.  If you want to "swim" a triathlon, a 2-beat kick will work OK; if you want to RACE it, then you need to have a 6-beat kick in your arsenal.  You may not need to employ it all the time, but it has to be there when you do.  The catch is that developing a strong 6-beat kick takes work and commitment.  That's where an individual needs to decide what their priorities are.  Triathlon training is always about compromise and balance with S/B/R.

Mark

Here I'll disagree a bit as an AGer.   I am very near the front out of the water and nowhere near a 6 beat.   The only races I come near the podium when all is said and done are races with unusually long swims (i.e. a local sprint with a .5 mile swim).  What keeps me off the podium is not lack of a kick, it's getting caught on the run. (ETA, maybe a 6 beat kick gets me another 5 minutes??  doubt it...  )

But as LB points out this is an AGer phenomenon where lots of folks are just getting through the swim and surviving it.  Not a swimmer or elite/jr. elite/pro level issue. 

JUST my n=1 experience

Edited by ChrisM 2016-02-02 1:39 PM
2016-02-02 2:04 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran
here's another AGer (BTer) bottom lane, he's pretty fast, but lacks on the kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLa_PsM6wnk&t=30
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Seal vs Sea Lion Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Multisports vs Mark Allen vs Bt vs others IM training

Started by timebaron
Views: 2453 Posts: 20

2008-04-10 3:49 PM timebaron

Giant vs Felt vs QR vs Cervelo Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Newbie5317
Views: 7205 Posts: 65

2008-02-21 12:04 PM karhooligan

Hr levels at Altitude vs. Sea level

Started by AF_SGT
Views: 765 Posts: 7

2007-10-31 9:53 PM dougdia

Sea swim vs Lake swim etc

Started by JanaWiehahn
Views: 6879 Posts: 16

2019-05-16 3:35 PM TriJayhawkRyan

PowerTap vs Ergomo vs Computrainer vs ?

Started by TypeA Girl Pilot
Views: 1848 Posts: 18

2006-11-15 4:39 PM AusVirgin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 14, 2010
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.

date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.
date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?