Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-03-07 10:49 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Unsolicited Swimming Advice
About 15 years ago, I was in the middle of one of my grueling 800m workouts that I used to do.( I thought that since I was able to swim 800m I was one heck of a swimmer. ) An old guy (and I mean OLD) and I came to the wall at the same time. I looked over and gave him a nice "good morning!" to which he answered, " would you like some help with your stroke?" Once I got over the initial blow to my ego, I took him up on it. Hey, maybe this old dude knew something that I didn't. Turns out, he totally changed my stroke and I ended up hiring him as a personal coach. Pretty much everything I know about swimming I owe to him.
That said, I'm sure some people might not be receptive to advice. And I'm also sure there are a lot of folks that would never ask for help, even when struggling to swim 10 yards.
I'd say that if you see someone that is obviously struggling, ask a question like my friend did and just see if they are open to advice.

2016-03-07 12:31 PM
in reply to: 0

, Vermont
Originally posted by jillian_o

I would say no unless you are friendly with that person, they know you, and they are aware that you are an excellent swimmer

With that being said, I'll admit that I am a lousy swimmer, but I honestly just swim to get to my bike and I don't care to improve. I swim the bare minimum. Anyway, I lost count of how many times people have stopped me in the middle of my flailing to give me unsolicited swim advice, and it makes me angry every time. Its so funny that they will give this advice, and I'm only half listening in hopes they will go away, and then they will stand on the pool deck and watch to see if I am taking their unsolicited advice, but I keep on flailing. I had to start wearing waterproof headphones and blare it loud so people will stop bothering me, seems to be working

Just curious why you have no desire to improve? I don't mean to be judgy, but "just swim to get to my bike and I don't care to improve" is a pretty poor outlook. Why would you not want to improve? Especially if you are struggling as much as you're letting on...

If you dislike the swim so much, why bother with triathlon at all? Maybe just stick to duathons?

To each their own, but I feel like if I were in your shoes (and I'm probably close, as I'm a beginner swimmer), I would (and will) take all the advice I could/can get. Obviously some advice will be better than others, but at least I could use my discretion as to whether I choose to use the information or not.

My .02...

Edited by ninagski 2016-03-07 12:33 PM
2016-03-07 2:05 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Nope. Not unless someone asks and even then I keep my ten foot pole nice and handy.
2016-03-07 3:49 PM
in reply to: ninagski

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Originally posted by ninagski

I would say no unless you are friendly with that person, they know you, and they are aware that you are an excellent swimmer

With that being said, I'll admit that I am a lousy swimmer, but I honestly just swim to get to my bike and I don't care to improve. I swim the bare minimum. Anyway, I lost count of how many times people have stopped me in the middle of my flailing to give me unsolicited swim advice, and it makes me angry every time. Its so funny that they will give this advice, and I'm only half listening in hopes they will go away, and then they will stand on the pool deck and watch to see if I am taking their unsolicited advice, but I keep on flailing. I had to start wearing waterproof headphones and blare it loud so people will stop bothering me, seems to be working

Just curious why you have no desire to improve? I don't mean to be judgy, but "just swim to get to my bike and I don't care to improve" is a pretty poor outlook. Why would you not want to improve? Especially if you are struggling as much as you're letting on...

If you dislike the swim so much, why bother with triathlon at all? Maybe just stick to duathons?

To each their own, but I feel like if I were in your shoes (and I'm probably close, as I'm a beginner swimmer), I would (and will) take all the advice I could/can get. Obviously some advice will be better than others, but at least I could use my discretion as to whether I choose to use the information or not.

My .02...

A few things you should know, not making excuses, jut background info is always good when someone claims I have a poor outlook

After my first tour of duty in Iraq, I came home and quickly after that was in a horrendous motorcycle accident, I broke my neck. Since you cannot put your neck in a cast, and surgery wasn't an option for my injury, it healed the way it did and I had to learn to live with it. My head now naturally cants to the right now. The accident was 12 years ago.

Because of this, when I swim my head cannot stay still while swimming. If I try to keep it still its excruciating and no treatment can fix it. When I was training for my second Ironman in 2013, I decided to focus on swimming because I though I could pick up some time there. I hired a USA Swimming certified coach and had 4 sessions a week, 2 one hour sessions, a 90 minute session, and a 2 hour session each week. All season I never got faster, was slower in a few races, and on Ironman race day my swim was even slower than my first Ironman.

After tri season and 6 months of intense swim coaching, my coach said "I'm not going to string you along any more and keep taking your money, I've done all I can with you, and with that neck injury and your inability to keep your head still I just can't help you"

I am a natural runner and a decent cyclist. I love triathlon and I'm not much of a fan of duathlons. I have been doing triathlons for 6 years. I came to this sport from a 300 pound morbidly obese woman to now 3x Ironman finishers. My positive outlook on life has kept me going in triathlon all this time. I have finished 40 or so sprint and olympic triathlons, and have either won top 3 women or won my age group in all of them except 2. I work hard on my strengths, bike and run, everyday and losing 1-4 minutes in the swim doesn't seem to impact much.

My last Ironman, which was Ironman Lousville a few months ago, I had a PR swim and I didn't swim much leading up to it.

I can't change what has happened to me, the motorcycle accident happened, and because of it I'll never be a great swimmer, but I can still run and bike well and that's what I'll do, because its what I can do. I'm not going to dwell on the fact that I'll never be a good swimmer, nor will I switch to duathlons, instead I'll just keep doing what I've been doing the past 6 years, swim to get to my bike, for the love of triathlon.
2016-03-07 4:31 PM
in reply to: jillian_o

, Vermont

Originally posted by ninagski

My .02...

A few things you should know, not making excuses, jut background info is always good when someone claims I have a poor outlook

After my first tour of duty in Iraq, I came home and quickly after that was in a horrendous motorcycle accident, I broke my neck. Since you cannot put your neck in a cast, and surgery wasn't an option for my injury, it healed the way it did and I had to learn to live with it. My head now naturally cants to the right now. The accident was 12 years ago.

Because of this, when I swim my head cannot stay still while swimming. If I try to keep it still its excruciating and no treatment can fix it. When I was training for my second Ironman in 2013, I decided to focus on swimming because I though I could pick up some time there. I hired a USA Swimming certified coach and had 4 sessions a week, 2 one hour sessions, a 90 minute session, and a 2 hour session each week. All season I never got faster, was slower in a few races, and on Ironman race day my swim was even slower than my first Ironman.

After tri season and 6 months of intense swim coaching, my coach said "I'm not going to string you along any more and keep taking your money, I've done all I can with you, and with that neck injury and your inability to keep your head still I just can't help you"

I am a natural runner and a decent cyclist. I love triathlon and I'm not much of a fan of duathlons. I have been doing triathlons for 6 years. I came to this sport from a 300 pound morbidly obese woman to now 3x Ironman finishers. My positive outlook on life has kept me going in triathlon all this time. I have finished 40 or so sprint and olympic triathlons, and have either won top 3 women or won my age group in all of them except 2. I work hard on my strengths, bike and run, everyday and losing 1-4 minutes in the swim doesn't seem to impact much.

My last Ironman, which was Ironman Lousville a few months ago, I had a PR swim and I didn't swim much leading up to it.

I can't change what has happened to me, the motorcycle accident happened, and because of it I'll never be a great swimmer, but I can still run and bike well and that's what I'll do, because its what I can do. I'm not going to dwell on the fact that I'll never be a good swimmer, nor will I switch to duathlons, instead I'll just keep doing what I've been doing the past 6 years, swim to get to my bike, for the love of triathlon.

Absolutely good background. Your first post came off differently for me and with the background, I totally get it now. Keep on keepin' on!

PS...I see your jersey, fellow fan of SwimBikeMom! (even though I'm not a mom)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Unsolicited Swimming Advice Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

do you ever give unsolicited advice? Pages: 1 2

Started by clemson05
Views: 1754 Posts: 28

2014-04-14 8:58 PM Swimaway

Give unsolicited advice?

Started by DiOnMaui
Views: 1608 Posts: 21

2011-02-13 7:10 PM Paddy1

Unsolicited swimming advice worked today

Started by TriPatrick
Views: 778 Posts: 1

2009-10-21 7:47 PM TriPatrick

Unsolicited advice? Pages: 1 2

Started by neuronet
Views: 2432 Posts: 38

2009-09-03 3:18 PM neuronet

Unsolicited swimming critique

Started by BrianK
Views: 1274 Posts: 11

2009-07-28 9:43 PM jtaddei
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Free Triathlon Online Mentoring Open Now

date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters
date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : January 8, 2010
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about that 'perfect day off' - as triathletes, it's needed.
date : October 9, 2009
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.

date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???