of 4

2016-04-05 2:30 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Undercover Draft Busters
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

let me ask you this

do you think the threat of undercover police vehicles reduce the number of people who speed?

I don't believe an undercover police vehicle (that is in motion) can grab you for speeding unless it is excessive. I'm not certain, but I've never heard of that.

And yes, the threat of a hidden car with a radar certainly does. Drive on a road that has high visibility for miles and nowhere for Smokey to hide...people drive A LOT faster.

2016-04-05 2:32 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by 3mar  Back to the original point, on the flat open courses, where lots of people draft because they can see for miles and see the motos coming, the threat of undercover draft busters would greatly reduce drafting. There is no looking out. You'd have to assume that anyone you passed could be a draft buster. And with plenty of strong swimmers/weak cyclists, that threat would be all over.

Actually, the easiest way to combat drafting is to not race events that are conducive to it.  The masses have flocked to courses that are flat and fast...and people seem to like races with lots of people in it rather than 500 or less.  Those are the exact formulas for drafting to begin with no matter how much policing you have.  Pick a race course like Savageman, Wildflower, IM Nice, or the former St. George or Lake Tahoe and you get a lot less complaints.  The cream rises to the top and you get a much less congested and cleaner race for all involved.

Trying to stop drafting at IM Florida is like going to the mall on Black Friday and suggesting to the shops how to reduce the wait at the cash register.

Yeah, but for those of us who don't live near anything resembling a hill, that's not really an option. I've learned the hard way not to race how you don't train.
2016-04-05 2:54 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I worked as a USAT official for awhile. Couple things when it comes to actually penalizing a drafting violation.

You NEED to have evidence of a drafter in case of a rebuttal. That meant we needed to collect information, while on the back of a motor bike and argue our need for a penalty to the head ref who could accept it or override it.

We needed to have clear indicators that a.) a penalty happened, b.)describe how the penalty occurred, 3.) identify the violator

Simply saying that #156 drafted would NOT be accepted. It would have to be something such as

#156 on a blue bike with a silver helmet entered the draft zone and spent 37 seconds in the draft zone before making the pass.

There is zero way this could be done a bike.

On another note this is why I get so frustrated with people that complain about drafting, there is a lot that goes into defining who is at fault and whether a penalty did occur. Innocent until proven guilty.
2016-04-05 3:31 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Exton, PA
Undercover riders, I do not think would ever work.

Drones flying over could be a reality in the future. They would not have to read number per say, if they could read your chip from a slight distance. they could electronically record chips that were too close together for too long of a period of time and send the number of the drafting rider to the penalty tent with the violation info. Not really possibly today but in 5 to 10 years maybe.
2016-04-05 3:31 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by bcagle25

I worked as a USAT official for awhile. Couple things when it comes to actually penalizing a drafting violation.

You NEED to have evidence of a drafter in case of a rebuttal. That meant we needed to collect information, while on the back of a motor bike and argue our need for a penalty to the head ref who could accept it or override it.

We needed to have clear indicators that a.) a penalty happened, b.)describe how the penalty occurred, 3.) identify the violator

Simply saying that #156 drafted would NOT be accepted. It would have to be something such as

#156 on a blue bike with a silver helmet entered the draft zone and spent 37 seconds in the draft zone before making the pass.

There is zero way this could be done a bike.

On another note this is why I get so frustrated with people that complain about drafting, there is a lot that goes into defining who is at fault and whether a penalty did occur. Innocent until proven guilty.

Interesting. So when people claim "not guilty" it's likely more along the lines of this....https://youtu.be/Gt75VjvRW34
2016-04-05 4:52 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by mike761 Undercover riders, I do not think would ever work. Drones flying over could be a reality in the future. They would not have to read number per say, if they could read your chip from a slight distance. they could electronically record chips that were too close together for too long of a period of time and send the number of the drafting rider to the penalty tent with the violation info. Not really possibly today but in 5 to 10 years maybe.

Armed drones.  Make the penalty hurt.  Our military drone pilots could get some good practice this way.  More than 60 seconds drafting and you're in the kill box, not the penalty tent.

2016-04-05 6:32 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by SevenZulu

Originally posted by mike761 Undercover riders, I do not think would ever work. Drones flying over could be a reality in the future. They would not have to read number per say, if they could read your chip from a slight distance. they could electronically record chips that were too close together for too long of a period of time and send the number of the drafting rider to the penalty tent with the violation info. Not really possibly today but in 5 to 10 years maybe.

Armed drones.  Make the penalty hurt.  Our military drone pilots could get some good practice this way.  More than 60 seconds drafting and you're in the kill box, not the penalty tent.

Problem solved

(drafting.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
drafting.jpg (160KB - 2 downloads)
2016-04-05 7:37 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I wonder what Athlete 1390 would think about the idea of non-racers on bikes out on the course fiddling with penalty cards and trying to write down notes......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8ae4TfwrE

2016-04-05 8:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by 3mar
Originally posted by bcagle25I worked as a USAT official for awhile. Couple things when it comes to actually penalizing a drafting violation.You NEED to have evidence of a drafter in case of a rebuttal. That meant we needed to collect information, while on the back of a motor bike and argue our need for a penalty to the head ref who could accept it or override it. We needed to have clear indicators that a.) a penalty happened, b.)describe how the penalty occurred, 3.) identify the violatorSimply saying that #156 drafted would NOT be accepted. It would have to be something such as#156 on a blue bike with a silver helmet entered the draft zone and spent 37 seconds in the draft zone before making the pass. There is zero way this could be done a bike. On another note this is why I get so frustrated with people that complain about drafting, there is a lot that goes into defining who is at fault and whether a penalty did occur. Innocent until proven guilty.
Interesting. So when people claim "not guilty" it's likely more along the lines of this....https://youtu.be/Gt75VjvRW34
When people claim not guilty, they're usually full of $h!t.I've been of the opinion for a long time that penalties need to be harsher. More along the lines of 8 minutes for the first offense plus no KQ for WTC events, and DQ for the second offense.

Edited by TriMyBest 2016-04-05 8:12 PM
2016-04-05 10:51 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro

I have quite a bit of experience in undercover work that actually accomplishes nothing.....so let me ask you...........

how much would it pay?

2016-04-06 9:02 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Katy, Texas
I'm in consulting....so....

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (47KB - 2 downloads)

2016-04-06 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by TriMyBest
Originally posted by bcagle25I worked as a USAT official for awhile. Couple things when it comes to actually penalizing a drafting violation.You NEED to have evidence of a drafter in case of a rebuttal. That meant we needed to collect information, while on the back of a motor bike and argue our need for a penalty to the head ref who could accept it or override it. We needed to have clear indicators that a.) a penalty happened, b.)describe how the penalty occurred, 3.) identify the violatorSimply saying that #156 drafted would NOT be accepted. It would have to be something such as#156 on a blue bike with a silver helmet entered the draft zone and spent 37 seconds in the draft zone before making the pass. There is zero way this could be done a bike. On another note this is why I get so frustrated with people that complain about drafting, there is a lot that goes into defining who is at fault and whether a penalty did occur. Innocent until proven guilty.
When people claim not guilty, they're usually full of $h!t.I've been of the opinion for a long time that penalties need to be harsher. More along the lines of 8 minutes for the first offense plus no KQ for WTC events, and DQ for the second offense.

yes and no.  you could legally try to pass me and I could prevent it resulting in a penalty for you.  then I DQ you from kona and walk my way in?  don't like it.

2016-04-06 9:15 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by dmiller5

yes and no.  you could legally try to pass me and I could prevent it resulting in a penalty for you.  then I DQ you from kona and walk my way in?  don't like it.

That would be blocking in which case you'd get the penalty. I'd hope the ref would know the difference.
2016-04-06 9:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

That would be blocking in which case you'd get the penalty. I'd hope the ref would know the difference.

if you stay on the right side of the road, and simply increase your speed, and the opponent doesn't complete the pass, you haven't blocked he just didn't pass in 15 seconds.  blocking is literally staying too far left for him to pass you.

2016-04-06 9:26 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
I'd settle for a clear definition from a race official of what is and isn't considered drafting.Seems like they all have their own point of view.

I'd also like if people didn't pass me, only to slow down after they've completed the pass. Can't tell you how much that hacks me off.
2016-04-06 9:54 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

if you stay on the right side of the road, and simply increase your speed, and the opponent doesn't complete the pass, you haven't blocked he just didn't pass in 15 seconds.  blocking is literally staying too far left for him to pass you.

This is something that occurs now.  The rules are simple in this regard - enter the draft zone of the rider in front knowing you can pass them.  If the front rider accelerates, you must accelerate and complete the pass.  Fail to, and you've drafted.  I don't have any sympathy for that person.  Knowing how to overtake someone decisively with little chance of them foiling your attempt is a skill that anyone who's in contention for a Kona spot better know how to do.  If they don't, then they were out-raced within the rules, and their failure to KQ was just the way racing works.  Granted, it's generally stupid race tactics in a triathlon to rapidly accelerate to prevent a pass, but it's still allowed under the rules.

2016-04-06 9:59 AM
in reply to: marti038

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marti038 I'd settle for a clear definition from a race official of what is and isn't considered drafting.Seems like they all have their own point of view. I'd also like if people didn't pass me, only to slow down after they've completed the pass. Can't tell you how much that hacks me off.

USAT drafting rules may be a little complex, but they're very clear.  As much as people cry about them, they really are pretty well thought out, and black and white.

If that person is foolish enough to ride harder than they should to pass you, then need to slow down, you drop back out of their draft zone, then pass them.  If you are actually a stronger rider, it'll only happen a time or 3 before you drop them.  If it continues to happen throughout the race, then you may want to re-think your own race tactics.

2016-04-06 10:13 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Originally posted by marti038 I'd settle for a clear definition from a race official of what is and isn't considered drafting.Seems like they all have their own point of view. I'd also like if people didn't pass me, only to slow down after they've completed the pass. Can't tell you how much that hacks me off.

USAT drafting rules may be a little complex, but they're very clear.  As much as people cry about them, they really are pretty well thought out, and black and white.

If that person is foolish enough to ride harder than they should to pass you, then need to slow down, you drop back out of their draft zone, then pass them.  If you are actually a stronger rider, it'll only happen a time or 3 before you drop them.  If it continues to happen throughout the race, then you may want to re-think your own race tactics.

The only real question is the distance, nobody is pulling out a tape measure to see how far back you are. Generally I would say the ref's are a better judge of it then most riders are.
2016-04-06 10:16 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Is drafting in the FOFOP even that common? I guess I didn't think about that. I'm just thinking out loud here, but in IM Florida last year for 30-34 or 35-39, if there were 3 Kona spots up for grabs each, they need to be in the top 15 people OA. So on a 112 mile course, your only option is to have one of 15 people that would be willing/able to allow you to draft and happen to come across them at the same speed. That means getting out of the water pretty close and having similar bike splits. The swim times of those 15 people range from 57 up to 1:14 and their bike splits range from 4:21 to 5:06. i.e. it seems just about impossible that any of those guys could even find someone to draft where they wouldn't have to alter their speed quite a bit. Unless maybe they have a teammate that swims similarly that is willing to help them on the bike, but even then, it seems tough. I don't know, it seems that there simply aren't that many options at the front.

When I did B2B, it was a field of 900 people, I was out of the water 3rd and I saw a total of 4 HIM athletes the entire time I was on the bike. It's really spread out towards the front. I'd only assume it's the same for the FOP of an Ironman...not that I'll know anytime soon. So to that point, I guess, what do I care. I mean, it's annoying that people are cheating, but if you're not gunning for Kona or an AG place, i guess it really doesn't matter...I just need to tell myself that when I see them out there.

Edit: wait....I get it, so a slow swimmer that is still in contention for a slot would have more options because they'd be back further in the field overall. It would be the fast swimmers and cyclists that would have no options.

Edited by 3mar 2016-04-06 10:19 AM
2016-04-06 10:41 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mike761

The only real question is the distance, nobody is pulling out a tape measure to see how far back you are. Generally I would say the ref's are a better judge of it then most riders are.

Maybe an official can chime in, but the ones I've talked to, and seen conduct pre-race athlete meetings, take a conservative approach.  Kind of like most police officers won't issue a ticket for 5 mph over the limit, most race officials aren't going to issue a penalty for 16 seconds at 6 1/2 meters, but get within 5 meters without passing, or take 20 seconds to exit the rear of the draft zone after being passed, and you're going to get dinged.

One of the best things I've ever seen done was at Musselman a few years ago the head ref brought 2 bikes and a 7 meter rope on stage at the athlete meeting to show everyone exactly what the draft zone looked like.

ETA: I'm also a proponent of the idea of automatic DQ for the first offense for blatant, intentional drafting.  This isn't the person who is a little slow exiting the draft zone when passed, or the one who passes a little slowly.  I'm talking about the wheel suckers who ride there for miles on end.  I've seen it in every large race I've ever been at.  Just one example:  one year at Nations Triathlon, there was a guy in my AG who rode within a couple feet of my wheel for several minutes.  When I slowed down, and gave him an earful, he ignored me and latched onto someone else's wheel.  A few miles later near the turnaround, he passed me going the other way riding on yet another person's wheel.  IMO, that sort of unsportsmanlike conduct should be met with more than the standard time penalty.

Edited by TriMyBest 2016-04-06 10:52 AM
2016-04-06 11:05 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Originally posted by mike761

Maybe an official can chime in, but the ones I've talked to, and seen conduct pre-race athlete meetings, take a conservative approach.  Kind of like most police officers won't issue a ticket for 5 mph over the limit, most race officials aren't going to issue a penalty for 16 seconds at 6 1/2 meters, but get within 5 meters without passing, or take 20 seconds to exit the rear of the draft zone after being passed, and you're going to get dinged.

One of the best things I've ever seen done was at Musselman a few years ago the head ref brought 2 bikes and a 7 meter rope on stage at the athlete meeting to show everyone exactly what the draft zone looked like.

ETA: I'm also a proponent of the idea of automatic DQ for the first offense for blatant, intentional drafting.  This isn't the person who is a little slow exiting the draft zone when passed, or the one who passes a little slowly.  I'm talking about the wheel suckers who ride there for miles on end.  I've seen it in every large race I've ever been at.  Just one example:  one year at Nations Triathlon, there was a guy in my AG who rode within a couple feet of my wheel for several minutes.  When I slowed down, and gave him an earful, he ignored me and latched onto someone else's wheel.  A few miles later near the turnaround, he passed me going the other way riding on yet another person's wheel.  IMO, that sort of unsportsmanlike conduct should be met with more than the standard time penalty.

^^agreed

2016-04-06 11:12 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Is drafting in the FOFOP even that common? I guess I didn't think about that. I'm just thinking out loud here, but in IM Florida last year for 30-34 or 35-39, if there were 3 Kona spots up for grabs each, they need to be in the top 15 people OA. So on a 112 mile course, your only option is to have one of 15 people that would be willing/able to allow you to draft and happen to come across them at the same speed. That means getting out of the water pretty close and having similar bike splits. The swim times of those 15 people range from 57 up to 1:14 and their bike splits range from 4:21 to 5:06. i.e. it seems just about impossible that any of those guys could even find someone to draft where they wouldn't have to alter their speed quite a bit. Unless maybe they have a teammate that swims similarly that is willing to help them on the bike, but even then, it seems tough. I don't know, it seems that there simply aren't that many options at the front.

When I did B2B, it was a field of 900 people, I was out of the water 3rd and I saw a total of 4 HIM athletes the entire time I was on the bike. It's really spread out towards the front. I'd only assume it's the same for the FOP of an Ironman...not that I'll know anytime soon. So to that point, I guess, what do I care. I mean, it's annoying that people are cheating, but if you're not gunning for Kona or an AG place, i guess it really doesn't matter...I just need to tell myself that when I see them out there.

Edit: wait....I get it, so a slow swimmer that is still in contention for a slot would have more options because they'd be back further in the field overall. It would be the fast swimmers and cyclists that would have no options.

Last summer I did a smaller 140.6 (less than 200 people but still about 7 pro's) . I came off the bike in 13th position ( came out of the water in 14th), while on the bike I only saw 5 people the whole time, there was 0 opportunity to draft. I would assume in a large event when in those top spots there is not too much opportunity to draft. Also I think the top spots get a little more ref attention then the rest of the field.
2016-04-06 11:26 AM

User image

They need to employ the new electric motorcycles that have come on the market. Zero noise. You would have no idea they were coming.
2016-04-07 12:16 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

Master
, California

Rubbing is racing, right?

Originally posted by DeVinci13 They need to employ the new electric motorcycles that have come on the market. Zero noise. You would have no idea they were coming.

They had them in Barcelona.

The problem is the threat of marshals is completely ignored.  You have such large packs of riders that the marshal ends up picking off one or two unlucky folks and the rest spread out and ride off.  Hidden patrols don't fix that problem.

It's a herd problem.  You're fast enough to try for a KQ and you know everyone else is going to be riding in a peloton.  You do it too or you lose, because you know they can't card every person you're competing against.  Even if you made the 1st draft penalty a DQ, people would still do it because of this logic.

If they could guarantee catching people and penalize them post-race, then people would probably stop.  But that's pretty much impossible unless they come up with some sort of device to install on each person's bike (good luck).

2016-04-07 7:03 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by spudone

.  But that's pretty much impossible unless they come up with some sort of device to install on each person's bike (good luck).

As technology grows it is very possible to add something like that to your timing chip. All they need to do is sense proximity with another chip and time, with a little memory added it could send the violation to the timing system after the race or possibly when you cross the bike timing matt.

Things would change if everyone was being monitored the entire ride.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Undercover Draft Busters Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

To (swim) draft, or not to draft, that is my question Pages: 1 2

Started by technoyos
Views: 4071 Posts: 43

2014-09-03 1:08 AM zedzded

Drafting drafting drafting Pages: 1 2

Started by MalcolmG
Views: 3476 Posts: 26

2011-03-21 11:22 AM GoFaster

Drafting in a non Draft legal

Started by xcrunner2010
Views: 1640 Posts: 16

2009-06-11 10:26 PM xcrunner2010

Bike Drafting vs. Swim Drafting

Started by jjweav
Views: 1136 Posts: 13

2006-04-20 4:16 PM KSH

draft or no draft

Started by runmacride
Views: 1144 Posts: 13

2004-09-15 10:33 AM Tiger Phil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : February 24, 2012
author : SwimSmart
comments : 9
Improve your technique and swim better with less effort by knowing these simple facts.
date : September 5, 2004
author : USATriathlon
comments : 0
Position rule violations during triathlon racing.

author : Team BT
Important terms and definitions for many words encountered in the world of triathlons
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.