2016-04-07 8:03 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Undercover Draft Busters

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by spudone

.  But that's pretty much impossible unless they come up with some sort of device to install on each person's bike (good luck).

As technology grows it is very possible to add something like that to your timing chip. All they need to do is sense proximity with another chip and time, with a little memory added it could send the violation to the timing system after the race or possibly when you cross the bike timing matt. Things would change if everyone was being monitored the entire ride.

You also then need to add a power source to that chip that each competitor is going to carry along with them, either on their ankle or elsewhere.

2016-04-07 8:16 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by briderdt

.  But that's pretty much impossible unless they come up with some sort of device to install on each person's bike (good luck).

As technology grows it is very possible to add something like that to your timing chip. All they need to do is sense proximity with another chip and time, with a little memory added it could send the violation to the timing system after the race or possibly when you cross the bike timing matt. Things would change if everyone was being monitored the entire ride.

You also then need to add a power source to that chip that each competitor is going to carry along with them, either on their ankle or elsewhere.

Power would be minimal, like a small battery in the timing chip could do it. It can actually be done today, but probably not practical yet due to cost(maybe size). Would have to add a small circuit with a VOC or oscillating chip, and get FCC certs. Rechargeable batteries would probably be the most practical way to go.

definitely doable near future, it's just if anyone cares enough to bother.
2016-04-07 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Power would be minimal, like a small battery in the timing chip could do it. It can actually be done today, but probably not practical yet due to cost(maybe size). Would have to add a small circuit with a VOC or oscillating chip, and get FCC certs. Rechargeable batteries would probably be the most practical way to go. definitely doable near future, it's just if anyone cares enough to bother.

gets complicated when theres a ton of people around, also, how do you know who is in front and who is behind?

2016-04-07 9:01 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by dmiller5

Power would be minimal, like a small battery in the timing chip could do it. It can actually be done today, but probably not practical yet due to cost(maybe size). Would have to add a small circuit with a VOC or oscillating chip, and get FCC certs. Rechargeable batteries would probably be the most practical way to go. definitely doable near future, it's just if anyone cares enough to bother.

gets complicated when theres a ton of people around, also, how do you know who is in front and who is behind?

If a technology like this could get implemented, would anyone be dumb enough to draft knowing there was 0% you'd get away with it? I can't imagine.
2016-04-07 9:04 AM

User image

Exton, PA

It's not that hard, accelerometer and the right algorithm could figure it out
2016-04-07 9:11 AM

User image

Pro

Or just allow drafting and move on.

2016-04-07 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

So what is optimal and what is practical?

I get the notion people hate drafters, but remember this is an amateur sport. The lengths to go out and bust drafters that are mentioned in this post are well...doable, but how practical and possible are they? Remember Ironman and many other race companies are business, what is this cost to their bottom line?

There is a point of taking this sport a bit too seriously, and with some of these suggestions I think we are reaching that point.

Do drafters exist that don't get caught? Yes. Do offensive lineman hold and not get caught? Yes. We are humans and humans are prone to error and sometimes overwhelmed.

I say lets keep doing what we can with the manpower and viable resources we have.
2016-04-07 9:32 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Left Brain

Slackers

2016-04-07 9:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

Slackers

AND - only allow bikes that are UCI compliant. Oh, and no power meters allowed.  If you are looking for fairness.....we can get there.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-04-07 9:38 AM
2016-04-07 9:53 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by bcagle25

I get the notion people hate drafters, but remember this is an amateur sport. The lengths to go out and bust drafters that are mentioned in this post are well...doable, but how practical and possible are they? Remember Ironman and many other race companies are business, what is this cost to their bottom line?

There is a point of taking this sport a bit too seriously, and with some of these suggestions I think we are reaching that point.

Do drafters exist that don't get caught? Yes. Do offensive lineman hold and not get caught? Yes. We are humans and humans are prone to error and sometimes overwhelmed.

I say lets keep doing what we can with the manpower and viable resources we have.

The idea that it's amateur racing and therefore one shouldn't care as much comes up with this, doping or any other cheating. I'll make the same argument as before; money isn't the only thing that dictates importance. And it's not as though there are billions on the line in this sport anyway; it's not football, baseball or soccer, so let's not kid ourselves about the "big leagues" of endurance sports, lol.

People pay to have a fair race against others, if seeing how they stack up to a fair field is important to them, then who is anyone to say that because there isn't prize money involved it doesn't count?

For someone going for a Kona slot, they have dedicated 1,000nds of hours to training, outside of work and family requirements, to me that's a lot more than a pro who does it as their job, because they have a job in addition to the training.

It's not going to make a squat of difference to me this year at IMFL, I'm not gunning for KQ or an AG award, but if I keep plugging away for a couple more years, and by some miracle have a shot, who is anyone to say that all that time and effort isn't going to count as much because it's not my job?

I think that's disrespectful to those who are in that position.
2016-04-07 9:58 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar

So what is optimal and what is practical? I get the notion people hate drafters, but remember this is an amateur sport. The lengths to go out and bust drafters that are mentioned in this post are well...doable, but how practical and possible are they? Remember Ironman and many other race companies are business, what is this cost to their bottom line? There is a point of taking this sport a bit too seriously, and with some of these suggestions I think we are reaching that point. Do drafters exist that don't get caught? Yes. Do offensive lineman hold and not get caught? Yes. We are humans and humans are prone to error and sometimes overwhelmed. I say lets keep doing what we can with the manpower and viable resources we have.
The idea that it's amateur racing and therefore one shouldn't care as much comes up with this, doping or any other cheating. I'll make the same argument as before; money isn't the only thing that dictates importance. And it's not as though there are billions on the line in this sport anyway; it's not football, baseball or soccer, so let's not kid ourselves about the "big leagues" of endurance sports, lol. People pay to have a fair race against others, if seeing how they stack up to a fair field is important to them, then who is anyone to say that because there isn't prize money involved it doesn't count? For someone going for a Kona slot, they have dedicated 1,000nds of hours to training, outside of work and family requirements, to me that's a lot more than a pro who does it as their job, because they have a job in addition to the training. It's not going to make a squat of difference to me this year at IMFL, I'm not gunning for KQ or an AG award, but if I keep plugging away for a couple more years, and by some miracle have a shot, who is anyone to say that all that time and effort isn't going to count as much because it's not my job? I think that's disrespectful to those who are in that position.

OK....if money has nothing to do with it and it's all about fairness, I say we put every competitor on a 100.00 Huffy from Wal-mart. 

Now we'll see who can ride.

2016-04-07 10:06 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

So what is optimal and what is practical? I get the notion people hate drafters, but remember this is an amateur sport. The lengths to go out and bust drafters that are mentioned in this post are well...doable, but how practical and possible are they? Remember Ironman and many other race companies are business, what is this cost to their bottom line? There is a point of taking this sport a bit too seriously, and with some of these suggestions I think we are reaching that point. Do drafters exist that don't get caught? Yes. Do offensive lineman hold and not get caught? Yes. We are humans and humans are prone to error and sometimes overwhelmed. I say lets keep doing what we can with the manpower and viable resources we have.
The idea that it's amateur racing and therefore one shouldn't care as much comes up with this, doping or any other cheating. I'll make the same argument as before; money isn't the only thing that dictates importance. And it's not as though there are billions on the line in this sport anyway; it's not football, baseball or soccer, so let's not kid ourselves about the "big leagues" of endurance sports, lol. People pay to have a fair race against others, if seeing how they stack up to a fair field is important to them, then who is anyone to say that because there isn't prize money involved it doesn't count? For someone going for a Kona slot, they have dedicated 1,000nds of hours to training, outside of work and family requirements, to me that's a lot more than a pro who does it as their job, because they have a job in addition to the training. It's not going to make a squat of difference to me this year at IMFL, I'm not gunning for KQ or an AG award, but if I keep plugging away for a couple more years, and by some miracle have a shot, who is anyone to say that all that time and effort isn't going to count as much because it's not my job? I think that's disrespectful to those who are in that position.

OK....if money has nothing to do with it and it's all about fairness, I say we put every competitor on a 100.00 Huffy from Wal-mart. 

It's about setting up boundaries that everyone has to agree to, and it's up to each person how much they want to invest. That goes for time as well as money. There's a difference.
2016-04-07 10:06 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Exton, PA

That's why I said this above:

"definitely doable near future, it's just if anyone cares enough to bother"

Your chips would go from $15-$20 a piece to probably $60-$90, so a substantial amount of money. With no payback? You would still need marshals' on for other violations. So I don't think would happen until the cost of doing this is within a couple bucks of the standard timing chips.

2016-04-07 10:20 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro

It's about setting up boundaries that everyone has to agree to, and it's up to each person how much they want to invest. That goes for time as well as money. There's a difference.

UCI already has the "boundaries".

2016-04-07 10:23 AM

User image

Pro

Back in the 80's giant bike packs would form in Oly distance races......at least at many of them because I was in them.  The fastest people still won the races. 

2016-04-07 10:24 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Gets even more complicated with different sections of the course being void of draft rules. Ironman Barcelona for example doesn't apply drafting rules during:
"- Steep uphill sections,
- Tight turns,
- At the aid stations."

So you'd have to have some kind of GPS system knowing which part of the course you're on. Yea, I can't see anything going wrong with that

2016-04-07 11:38 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by trijamie

Gets even more complicated with different sections of the course being void of draft rules. Ironman Barcelona for example doesn't apply drafting rules during:
"- Steep uphill sections,
- Tight turns,
- At the aid stations."

So you'd have to have some kind of GPS system knowing which part of the course you're on. Yea, I can't see anything going wrong with that

Just talking tech wise It's not that bad, the recording could be activated we crossing the timing mat at T1 and deactivated at T2. You could have similar points on hills or at rest stops(don't need to be mats just signals). The tech is really close already, it's the return on investment that is not.
2016-04-07 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
The tech is really close already, it's the return on investment that is not.

Bingo! I don't really need race fees to go up even higher.

2016-04-07 1:18 PM

User image

And get rid of the swim...and the run...

2016-04-07 1:29 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

Why would you do that?  I always get a kick out of the folks who have never done a draft legal triathlon (maybe you, maybe not) who think drafting somehow makes the bike leg less competitive. 

However.....allowing drafting on the bike would require  people who want to do well to be good swimmers.....so I get that part from people who do triathlon. 

2016-04-07 1:30 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

...and change the bike to nordic skiing...and add shooting.

2016-04-07 1:32 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriMyBest

...and change the bike to nordic skiing...and add shooting.

Everything is better with shooting added......just saying.

2016-04-07 2:21 PM
in reply to: #5175528

Silly question, is there a list of draft legal races? I live in S. Florida and there are USAT non-drafting races pretty much year round...at least one a month, sometimes a few on the same weekend an hour's drive or less from my house. I've looked on Google and have only found a handful statewide that are draft legal, unless I'm missing something.
2016-04-07 2:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Why would you do that?  I always get a kick out of the folks who have never done a draft legal triathlon (maybe you, maybe not) who think drafting somehow makes the bike leg less competitive. 

However.....allowing drafting on the bike would require  people who want to do well to be good swimmers.....so I get that part from people who do triathlon. 

LOL...perhaps you didn't understand where my sarcasm was coming from.  It's not that I think making the bike draft legal ruins triathlon...it's that I don't like running and swimming...to the point where I don't do it anymore.  Being that I am a bike racer now...I am all for draft legal...as long as there is no swim or run.  

ETA: On a more serious note, I think even with local triathlons, allowing it to be draft legal would make the race more exciting at the front end.  You can't play the race out on paper before hand.  Most local races you can almost predict the finishing order to a certain extent.  Sure, a few people might have a bad day, but when you introduce draft legal you put a huge curve ball into the mix.  Making the lead swim pack, or at least coming out of the water with others becomes a priority.  How well you work together with others on the bike and decision making becomes more important that just pure watts.  

Unfortunately the masses drives the market of triathlon, and I don't think the masses wants to see DL just yet.  And I'm not sure RDs are willing to deal with the potential crashes among athletes who aren't experienced riding in packs.

Edited by Jason N 2016-04-07 2:44 PM
2016-04-07 2:37 PM
in reply to: marti038

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by marti038 I'd settle for a clear definition from a race official of what is and isn't considered drafting.Seems like they all have their own point of view. I'd also like if people didn't pass me, only to slow down after they've completed the pass. Can't tell you how much that hacks me off.

I actually had some (ahem) conversation a few years ago with BT'ers who officiated as well as the head of USAT officiating.  

The officials policing the course don't follow the rules as written about the drafting zone, which is specified as (section 5.10b):  

b. Definition of Drafting Zone. The term "drafting zone" shall refer to a rectangular area seven (7) meters long and two (2) meters wide surrounding each bicycle.  

Only they disregard the bold section and consider the drafting zone the full width of the course.  (Yup, I got that from the head man himself.)  

Now you could rather easily set up a "draft trap" as follows:  

Official with a lawn chair, cooler, video cameras, and wireless link (video & voice) sets up on the course.  
Second official with same setup 1/2 mile up the road.  (roughly 75 seconds)
Third official at a very large penalty tent 1 mile further directs the entire group to the penalty area.  The video evidence can be presented to anyone "protesting" the penalty.    

Two of these on a typical 2-loop IM course might do a lot to break up the peletons.  Probably best to place the penalty tent 100 yards around a sharp bend in the course to minimize the opportunity for someone in the peleton to "drop out" and they'll already be at a slightly lower speed.  A long, narrow "tent" (really, just cordon off 200 yards on the right side so they can pull in and remain single-file would work) with timing mats at the front and back should help manage the penalty administration.  

If you want to get sophisticated, the image processing to track and calculate speed and position from the video wouldn't be insurmountable.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Undercover Draft Busters Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

To (swim) draft, or not to draft, that is my question Pages: 1 2

Started by technoyos
Views: 4068 Posts: 43

2014-09-03 1:08 AM zedzded

Drafting drafting drafting Pages: 1 2

Started by MalcolmG
Views: 3472 Posts: 26

2011-03-21 11:22 AM GoFaster

Drafting in a non Draft legal

Started by xcrunner2010
Views: 1640 Posts: 16

2009-06-11 10:26 PM xcrunner2010

Bike Drafting vs. Swim Drafting

Started by jjweav
Views: 1133 Posts: 13

2006-04-20 4:16 PM KSH

draft or no draft

Started by runmacride
Views: 1142 Posts: 13

2004-09-15 10:33 AM Tiger Phil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : February 24, 2012
author : SwimSmart
comments : 9
Improve your technique and swim better with less effort by knowing these simple facts.
date : September 5, 2004
author : USATriathlon
comments : 0
Position rule violations during triathlon racing.

author : Team BT
Important terms and definitions for many words encountered in the world of triathlons
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.