BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-04-23 5:32 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by Hot Runner Yanti-- Sounds like you're all ready for Vietnam 70.3 then! That's pretty much where I was last year the night before the race. Only one can't hit the codeine the night before a HIM. I swear, I am going to put myself in a bubble for the next two weeks. Hope you are feeling better soon! 3-4 weeks "should" be the statute of limitations on this kind of stuff.

Yeah, I remember! And you still won the Vietnam category!

Ha, I don't think anyone gave all my illnesses the "statute of limitations" notice either that or viruses and bacteria can't read ...

Kingsley thinks there's 0% chance of me doing Vietnam. I'm thinking 50/50 at this point. Of course I shall come anyway

2016-04-23 5:34 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

GO MANATEE RACERS!

I'm not racing. I'm on the DL. Sadly. I've been so ill for 3 weeks that I'm still coughing through most of the night. I get sleep in 2-3 hour cycles at most before waking up in a coughing fit.

This cough is no respecter of codeine, even.

Flu (not little coldy, I mean influenza) followed by sinusitis and bronchitis. Hurts to breathe

Well I'm impressed that you aren't trying to race with all of that going on . Heal up your Yantiness. {{HUGS}} and prayers for you.

Aww thank you and thank you Stace Face

Yeah, it only took me 11 years to learn that racing sick and/or injured isn't the best idea.

2016-04-23 6:06 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by rrrunner

GO MANATEE RACERS!

I'm not racing. I'm on the DL. Sadly. I've been so ill for 3 weeks that I'm still coughing through most of the night. I get sleep in 2-3 hour cycles at most before waking up in a coughing fit.

This cough is no respecter of codeine, even.

Flu (not little coldy, I mean influenza) followed by sinusitis and bronchitis. Hurts to breathe

Well I'm impressed that you aren't trying to race with all of that going on . Heal up your Yantiness. {{HUGS}} and prayers for you.

Aww thank you and thank you Stace Face

Yeah, it only took me 11 years to learn that racing sick and/or injured isn't the best idea.

I am sorry you are sick, but I am shocked and amazed that you are not racing!!!!!

2016-04-23 7:18 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Just do the swim or something. As I recall, that was the fun part, the bike was okay, if a bit dull, and it went way downhill from there. If I do manage to get sick yet again, I've already decided that depending on how bad it is, I will either just do the swim and then lie at the pool drinking pina coladas the rest of the day, or not even start. I have my shirt and towel and finisher's medal already; not interested in another death march. OMG the only race I can compare that to was my first marathon. I was an underprepared teenage idiot, but at least it wasn't hotter than h.... (and actually, I won the race that day)! By the last 10 km last year, I was actually picking ice cubes up off the road and shoving them into my mouth, just to try to cool off--so far gone it never crossed my mind that it might be a dumb thing to do!
2016-04-23 3:50 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

It's finally the weekend! I've been really busy with school projects and tests and homework all week. But it was all worth it because.....Today is my 15th birthday! To celebrate, I rode my bike for three hours . Here's the race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
Tonight I'm going to dinner with my family then coming home and opening gifts.
Also, I applied to my first job yesterday! I want to work at a local bike shop that I go to for all of my cycling needs. I'm assuming they hire minors because one option on the application sheet section for education was a high school student. I'm hoping all goes well, but I won't be surprised if I'm turned down.
2016-04-23 5:10 PM
in reply to: CRFTX2001

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by CRFTX2001 It's finally the weekend! I've been really busy with school projects and tests and homework all week. But it was all worth it because.....Today is my 15th birthday! To celebrate, I rode my bike for three hours . Here's the race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... Tonight I'm going to dinner with my family then coming home and opening gifts. Also, I applied to my first job yesterday! I want to work at a local bike shop that I go to for all of my cycling needs. I'm assuming they hire minors because one option on the application sheet section for education was a high school student. I'm hoping all goes well, but I won't be surprised if I'm turned down.

Sounds like a pretty good day! Trying for the job sounds like a good experience builder no matter what happens.

2016-04-23 5:42 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by CRFTX2001 It's finally the weekend! I've been really busy with school projects and tests and homework all week. But it was all worth it because.....Today is my 15th birthday! To celebrate, I rode my bike for three hours . Here's the race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... Tonight I'm going to dinner with my family then coming home and opening gifts. Also, I applied to my first job yesterday! I want to work at a local bike shop that I go to for all of my cycling needs. I'm assuming they hire minors because one option on the application sheet section for education was a high school student. I'm hoping all goes well, but I won't be surprised if I'm turned down.

Happy Birthday! I'll cross my fingers for your job!

2016-04-23 8:36 PM

User image

Originally posted by CRFTX2001

It's finally the weekend! I've been really busy with school projects and tests and homework all week. But it was all worth it because.....Today is my 15th birthday! To celebrate, I rode my bike for three hours . Here's the race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
Also, I applied to my first job yesterday! I want to work at a local bike shop that I go to for all of my cycling needs. I'm assuming they hire minors because one option on the application sheet section for education was a high school student. I'm hoping all goes well, but I won't be surprised if I'm turned down.

Happy Cake Day!!! Good luck on the job!
2016-04-24 7:40 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by tomsimper

Buzzing today as did my first outdoor brick. 20k ride followed by a 5k run. I now I know I can get round the sprint tri course in 3 weeks time!
Well done Tom! Now just keep training and enjoy your race when it gets here.
2016-04-24 7:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Happy Birthday Connor.
2016-04-24 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Happy Borthday Coonor! I hope you had a wonderful day!!  Good luck on the job front. Working at the bike shop sounds like a perfect job for you, so I'll keep ,y fingers crossed.

2016-04-24 3:14 PM

User image

Expert

Happy Birthday Conner! It's good to see another April Birthday. I'm just a few days older I turned 15+35 on Thursday haha.
Congratulations of applying for your first job and good luck. You will never get a job if you don't apply, it's important to put yourself out there, like you did. My son, who really is 15, is looking for a Summer job too. Last year he worked as the Big Boy bus boy and it was a living Hell. I think he will end up scooping ice cream, this year.
2016-04-24 7:52 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by JBacarella

Happy Birthday Conner! It's good to see another April Birthday. I'm just a few days older I turned 15+35 on Thursday haha.
Congratulations of applying for your first job and good luck. You will never get a job if you don't apply, it's important to put yourself out there, like you did. My son, who really is 15, is looking for a Summer job too. Last year he worked as the Big Boy bus boy and it was a living Hell. I think he will end up scooping ice cream, this year.
Ah teenage jobs. What's the worse one you ever had?

Mine was working Sundays at the local burger joint. Not a bad job on the whole but scraping lettuce and other food off the ceiling after kids parties wasn't fun. And dealing with the guys who had been drinking all day at the bar over the road was interesting. It taught me some good lessons.
2016-04-25 9:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by StaceyK

Ah teenage jobs. What's the worse one you ever had?

Mine was working Sundays at the local burger joint. Not a bad job on the whole but scraping lettuce and other food off the ceiling after kids parties wasn't fun. And dealing with the guys who had been drinking all day at the bar over the road was interesting. It taught me some good lessons.

Haying at a farm - essentially its lifting heavy hay bales onto a wagon, hot days and you have to wear long sleeves and pants to protect your skin which scratches you up anyways. After seriously sucking wind all day I discovered that my arms were bright red and pocked everywhere. I am, as it turns out, very allergic to hay and have allergy induced asthma. That eneded my career in farming.

Race report for Paris to Ancaster offroad race is up

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Edited by DaveL 2016-04-25 9:02 AM
2016-04-25 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Happy Birthday Conner! It's good to see another April Birthday. I'm just a few days older I turned 15+35 on Thursday haha. Congratulations of applying for your first job and good luck. You will never get a job if you don't apply, it's important to put yourself out there, like you did. My son, who really is 15, is looking for a Summer job too. Last year he worked as the Big Boy bus boy and it was a living Hell. I think he will end up scooping ice cream, this year.
Ah teenage jobs. What's the worse one you ever had? Mine was working Sundays at the local burger joint. Not a bad job on the whole but scraping lettuce and other food off the ceiling after kids parties wasn't fun. And dealing with the guys who had been drinking all day at the bar over the road was interesting. It taught me some good lessons.

i had 2 jobs in high school ( besides babysitting) and they both were bad in their own way, so I don't know that I can pick one as the worse.  The first was working at my friend's family sink packing/ shipping company.  We'd go there after school a couple days a week and weekends and spend a few hours in the unair conditioned ( remember I live in Florida) warehouse where we'd uncrate sinks and then box them individually, so they'd could be shipped to retail stores. Sliding those MFers into the box was not fun - if you weren't deft enough the edge of the sink would cut up your fingers!! The could part was we were on own own, created our own work schedule and quota and could crank the music

The second job was at a fast food restaurant called Irvings for Red Hot Lovers.  Red hots are Chicago style hotdogs. You can imagine the comments I received walking around in a shirts with a picture of a hot dog and the name of the store

Edited by amd723 2016-04-25 9:08 AM
2016-04-25 9:31 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Katy, Texas
From what I saw, our racers did well this weekend!! And nice work Tom on the brick!!!

Happy birthday Conner and good luck with the job!

Well, I guess my IM is on and less than 3 weeks out. I'm starting to get nervous about it wondering if I'm screwing up the lead in (seeing what everyone else is doing on Strava).

Oh well, I'm feeling pretty good coming off a recovery week. I'll hit it pretty hard this week then have a two week taper.

Hope everyone has a good week!

2016-04-25 10:29 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

Happy Birthday Conner! It's good to see another April Birthday. I'm just a few days older I turned 15+35 on Thursday haha. Congratulations of applying for your first job and good luck. You will never get a job if you don't apply, it's important to put yourself out there, like you did. My son, who really is 15, is looking for a Summer job too. Last year he worked as the Big Boy bus boy and it was a living Hell. I think he will end up scooping ice cream, this year.
Ah teenage jobs. What's the worse one you ever had? Mine was working Sundays at the local burger joint. Not a bad job on the whole but scraping lettuce and other food off the ceiling after kids parties wasn't fun. And dealing with the guys who had been drinking all day at the bar over the road was interesting. It taught me some good lessons.

i had 2 jobs in high school ( besides babysitting) and they both were bad in their own way, so I don't know that I can pick one as the worse.  The first was working at my friend's family sink packing/ shipping company.  We'd go there after school a couple days a week and weekends and spend a few hours in the unair conditioned ( remember I live in Florida) warehouse where we'd uncrate sinks and then box them individually, so they'd could be shipped to retail stores. Sliding those MFers into the box was not fun - if you weren't deft enough the edge of the sink would cut up your fingers!! The could part was we were on own own, created our own work schedule and quota and could crank the music

The second job was at a fast food restaurant called Irvings for Red Hot Lovers.  Red hots are Chicago style hotdogs. You can imagine the comments I received walking around in a shirts with a picture of a hot dog and the name of the store

My first high school job was a Winchell's. Early mornings (especially for a teenager) and I always smelled like grease. Couldn't eat donuts for a long time after that but I'm over it now

My second was at a skating rink (it was the 80's after all). I mostly enjoyed that job, other than kids birthday parties (see above comments about kids). Music all of the time and I got pretty good on a pair of skates (had the coolest pair too). 

2016-04-25 10:34 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by tomsimper Buzzing today as did my first outdoor brick. 20k ride followed by a 5k run. I now I know I can get round the sprint tri course in 3 weeks time!

Woooooo!!  It's a great feeling to know you are ready!

2016-04-25 10:36 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Super far behind and trying to catch up

Adrienne - I’m glad that you recovered enough to run the Earth Day 5k (need to read the race report yet)

Mary - I’m glad that the vision therapy has started and I hope that you are noticing improvement

Ben - Riding outdid AND doing pull ups!  That’s a huge improvement!

Karen - I hope the Singapore Sprint was awesome and not the cluster that you feared.  It does sound like it was (perhaps) a decent tune up race for you leading into Vietnam.

TJ - Congrats on the new addition to the stable.  Does newbie have name yet?

Markus and Sean - That’s a whole lotta water.  Stay safe!

Jen - Good news on the reno.  I’m sure that you’ll be glad to have Darren back in town.  I hope the 10k went well!

Sean and Monica - I’m glad WTC finally posted a bike route for IMTX!

David - Good work in the Cycling Everyday Project!

Chris - Thanks for posting the racers list for me!  BT was down when I was at the computer to do it.  Loved the skydiving pics!

Laura - That’s pretty cool about the random resume call :-D  Sorry about your mom’s eye woes.  My dad has them as well.  Sucks.  Glad that he shoulder is improving at least.

Yanti - I hope that you are feeling more yourself as you read this.  We need to get you well!  Take care!

Connor - Belated Happy Birthday to you!  I’ve added you to the birthday list (anyone else who wants to be added, PM me) so now you need to stick around for another year! ;-)

2016-04-25 10:38 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Happy belated birthday, Conner!  I'll keep my fingers crossed for your bike shop job, it would be good experience in many ways.

2016-04-25 11:04 AM

User image

Seattle

Happy Birthday, Connor! That would be an amazing first job! And good on you for giving it a shot, even if they aren't able to have a 15 year old on staff (I'm not sure of the policies around this)

2016-04-25 11:05 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

I am struggling to get my HR up on the bike and wanted to know if this is due to the way I am riding as had no issue on the turbo trainer? I go in a gear where I can feel enough resistance when peddling but cadence isn't probably that high but can certainly feel it in my legs. Should I be looking at dropping a few gears so I can spin the pedals quicker to make it more efficient. Also what is the best way to get quicker on the bike, a friend who rides a lot says head for the hills, which is ok as I have plenty near me or as I am new to riding is it better to just get miles in the legs?
2016-04-25 11:05 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Jet Black From what I saw, our racers did well this weekend!! And nice work Tom on the brick!!! Happy birthday Conner and good luck with the job! Well, I guess my IM is on and less than 3 weeks out. I'm starting to get nervous about it wondering if I'm screwing up the lead in (seeing what everyone else is doing on Strava). Oh well, I'm feeling pretty good coming off a recovery week. I'll hit it pretty hard this week then have a two week taper. Hope everyone has a good week!

Meh, I wouldn't worry about what everyone else is doing. 

2016-04-25 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by DaveL
Originally posted by StaceyK Ah teenage jobs. What's the worse one you ever had? Mine was working Sundays at the local burger joint. Not a bad job on the whole but scraping lettuce and other food off the ceiling after kids parties wasn't fun. And dealing with the guys who had been drinking all day at the bar over the road was interesting. It taught me some good lessons.
Haying at a farm - essentially its lifting heavy hay bales onto a wagon, hot days and you have to wear long sleeves and pants to protect your skin which scratches you up anyways. After seriously sucking wind all day I discovered that my arms were bright red and pocked everywhere. I am, as it turns out, very allergic to hay and have allergy induced asthma. That eneded my career in farming. Race report for Paris to Ancaster offroad race is up http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

My DH is also quite allergic to hay - and found out while haying. I grew up in a rural area but thankfully never got to experience that. :D 

I had a few jobs - other than babysitting I worked at a family friend's dog/pet grooming/boarding business. I got to clean up a lot of poo. But i also got to play with fun puppies. One summer there was even a litter of adorable lab puppies that i got to take care of. They can be gross but soooo cute!

I also worked at a convenience store for several years. I can still make change like a pro. It was good work but there were definitely annoying things about it. Like when there hadn't been a customer for hours and then a whole bunch come in right before close. 

But in university i worked at a paintball factory for a summer on the continental shift rotation. It is not as cool as it sounds. I inspected, sorted and packed paintballs for 12-hour shifts wearing workboots, a hairnet and paper lab coat. I was constantly in trouble for not getting enough done. (because I actually looked at the paintballs instead of passing them all, sigh). One night i was on packaging all night and all i saw when i got home was bags of paintballs coming off a conveyor. 

good memories ... 

Edited by juniperjen 2016-04-25 11:20 AM
2016-04-25 11:28 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by tomsimper I am struggling to get my HR up on the bike and wanted to know if this is due to the way I am riding as had no issue on the turbo trainer? I go in a gear where I can feel enough resistance when peddling but cadence isn't probably that high but can certainly feel it in my legs. Should I be looking at dropping a few gears so I can spin the pedals quicker to make it more efficient. Also what is the best way to get quicker on the bike, a friend who rides a lot says head for the hills, which is ok as I have plenty near me or as I am new to riding is it better to just get miles in the legs?

I agree with your friend that hills are good. They are nature's speedwork . Quality time in the saddle is probably your best option though. Like swimming and running it's about having a base and getting out there and doing it.

As for your HR, you can raise it by either spinning faster or pushing harder at a slower cadence. Either one will get the HR up.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.