General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is body marking a requirement? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-04-12 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: Is body marking a requirement?
I'm just curious. I'll be wearing a sleeved suit in upcoming race and my tri shorts would cover the thigh markings (typical spot for the numbers), also.

Is it a requirement that you be marked? Do they need it to identify my body?...lol

I understand the age on the calf thing.....but, I'm wondering if even that is optional. Anyone here a RD or know the rule?

Thanks.

2016-04-12 1:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Is body marking a requirement?

No, it's not a requirement, although they will say it is - and it actually might be in the rules,. haven't checked, but no one will stop you on the race or (probably ) DQ you (if you do get DQ'd don't come crying to me tho!   ) .   The sharpie always gets pretty much washed/rubbed off by my wetsuit by the time the swim is done.   You are recognized by your number on the bike and race belt on the run.

I have a friend that often just skips it and never gets marked.

Edited by ChrisM 2016-04-12 1:12 PM
2016-04-12 1:19 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I've been doing some reading since I asked the question. Best I can tell, the rules say your number must be displayed at all times. I'm thinking a sharpie to the side of my swim cap should take care of the rule, since my bike & helmet are worn from T1 to T2.....and I display my number on my race belt from T2 to the finishing chute.

I'm going with that.................until I'm not
2016-04-12 1:37 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

I wouldn't even mark the swim cap unless the race is marking them for you (some, very few, do).  Some (again, very few) mark your hand

IMO it's really more of a ceremonial/part of the experience thing, like I said my markings are pretty much gone by the time the wetsuit is off.   And to have the number on your arm and get asked what it's for in line at In n Out after the race  

2016-04-12 1:44 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

In a few HIM's I've done, they used the blocky, stamp on numbers and after a day in the sun left my number etched on my arms until my tan evened back out.

2016-04-12 1:48 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by ChrisM

I wouldn't even mark the swim cap unless the race is marking them for you (some, very few, do).  Some (again, very few) mark your hand

IMO it's really more of a ceremonial/part of the experience thing, like I said my markings are pretty much gone by the time the wetsuit is off.   And to have the number on your arm and get asked what it's for in line at In n Out after the race  

I always figured that they were more for bragging rights afterward than anything else.

That and for the "official" race photographer be able to identify you so you can pay exorbitant prices for your race pictures.

Mark

2016-04-12 1:50 PM

User image

Depends on the race.  Pretty sure they all say required.  A lot of the small races I do are not real strict about it.  Big races are all very strict.  Another thing to be mindful of beyond what was mentioned like being DQ'd, some races match your body mark, bid and bike number before letting you out of transition.

2016-04-12 2:32 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by nc452010

I'm just curious. I'll be wearing a sleeved suit in upcoming race and my tri shorts would cover the thigh markings (typical spot for the numbers), also.

Is it a requirement that you be marked? Do they need it to identify my body?...lol

I understand the age on the calf thing.....but, I'm wondering if even that is optional. Anyone here a RD or know the rule?

Thanks.

Body marking is a time honored tradition in triathlon. It only takes a few mins, it helps race officials and staff to ID you on the course, and is usually required (even if it rubs off right after you put it on).

I don't see why you'd skip it.
2016-04-12 2:37 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by d00d

Thanks.

Body marking is a time honored tradition in triathlon. It only takes a few mins, it helps race officials and staff to ID you on the course, and is usually required (even if it rubs off right after you put it on).

I don't see why you'd skip it.

Like I said, I'll be wearing a sleeved top and my tri shorts extend to cover the front of my thighs almost to my knees. I may even wear calf sleeves in my OLY. To me, the question is why WOULDN'T I skip it.

I've never NOT been marked, but I'm questioning whether to do it or not in the future (unless it's WTC.....and then it would only be so I'd look like everyone else in the photos.............honest answer).

Edited by nc452010 2016-04-12 2:39 PM
2016-04-12 2:54 PM

User image

Another issue is if you use white arm coolers or calf sleeves.  The ink will get in the fabric and won't ever come out and will just be a big black smudge.   Makes the gear look like cr@p

2016-04-12 3:07 PM

User image

Originally posted by d00d  Body marking is a time honored tradition in triathlon. It only takes a few mins, it helps race officials and staff to ID you on the course, and is usually required (even if it rubs off right after you put it on). I don't see why you'd skip it.

I must be one of the few people it never rubs off.  That's why I don't like marking.  Especially in races when you need to get marked the day before for bike drop off.  I race a lot at the Jersey shore.  I have little kids so day before race and post race I am usually out doing something with them.  I feel like a complete tool at the beach with body marking.  If it only took me a few mins to clean it off I wouldn't mind.  I am usually scrubbing with rubbing alcohol or nail polish and will go to a scour pad to get it off. 

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2016-04-12 3:08 PM

2016-04-12 3:10 PM

User image

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by d00d  Body marking is a time honored tradition in triathlon. It only takes a few mins, it helps race officials and staff to ID you on the course, and is usually required (even if it rubs off right after you put it on). I don't see why you'd skip it.

I must be one of the few people it never rubs off.  That's why I don't like marking.  Especially in races when you need to get marked the day before for bike drop off.  I race a lot at the Jersey shore.  I have little kids so day before race and post race I am usually out doing something with them.  I feel like a complete tool at the beach with body marking.  If it only took me a few mins to clean it off I wouldn't mind.  I am usually scrubbing with rubbing alcohol or nail polish and will go to a scour pad to get it off. 

It must be something to do with skin type.  I look at other folks leaving T1 and their marks look fresh as daisies.  Mine looks like a Rorschach blot....

ETA I also don't always follow the no sunscreen rule prior to marking so that might contribute but happens at shorter races where I don't use sunscreen depending on conditions

Edited by ChrisM 2016-04-12 3:11 PM
2016-04-12 3:21 PM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

It must be something to do with skin type.  I look at other folks leaving T1 and their marks look fresh as daisies.  Mine looks like a Rorschach blot....

ETA I also don't always follow the no sunscreen rule prior to marking so that might contribute but happens at shorter races where I don't use sunscreen depending on conditions

I'd have to look but I'd guess I've done maybe 30-40 races.  Never has it rubbed off !  I've seen others have it fading during a race but not mine.  Sharpie, whatever other marker gets used sometimes, tattoo's , you name it.  Sharpie I can usually get off with fresh nail polish remover and a nail brush.  Turns my skin red like a rash.  I did a HIM last year and had the tattoos for at least a week.  That's with scrubbing it daily

2016-04-12 3:47 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Those tattoos are disgusting when they start coming off.  Hate em

2016-04-12 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I literally haven't been body marked in six years.  I had marker bleed ruin a tri suit years ago and vowed to never again be marked.  I just walk right by body marking and nobody has ever said a word.

2016-04-13 4:29 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

I literally haven't been body marked in six years.  I had marker bleed ruin a tri suit years ago and vowed to never again be marked.  I just walk right by body marking and nobody has ever said a word.

^^THAT'S what I wanted to hear! ('cept the part about the suit)

2016-04-13 5:51 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

That's interesting. There's a few races I do that its mandatory at packet pickup on Saturday. They won't let you pick up your packet without it. If you manage to skirt them there you can't get into transition. I've tried. It seems for my area races >500 body marking small local type race you can get by without. Bigger races 500-2000 it's mandatory.
2016-04-13 7:04 AM

I don't get the point of body marking at all anymore. on my calf the minute I get into transition area it ends up getting rubbed off when I squat down organizing my area. now being able to wear short sleeve tops from start to finish the sleeve would cover the number on my arms anyway. the bike has numbers all over it and the run has the bib. Now I may just want to write Ironman and ask them the rational.
2016-04-13 8:21 AM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by TriTampa2

I don't get the point of body marking at all anymore. on my calf the minute I get into transition area it ends up getting rubbed off when I squat down organizing my area. now being able to wear short sleeve tops from start to finish the sleeve would cover the number on my arms anyway. the bike has numbers all over it and the run has the bib. Now I may just want to write Ironman and ask them the rational.

the age and event is so you know who you are racing. the race number is to identify you body.
2016-04-13 8:47 AM

User image

For what its worth-

In the races I've done you can't get out of transition after the race with your bike unless you show your body # matches the # on the bike. They also use the body marking to make sure only athletes are in transition.

The last race I volunteered and did body marking the official asked us to make double sure that the number on the left arm was big and legible because that was what she used to identify draft, not the number on the bike.
2016-04-13 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
My race (and the rules) say you have to display your race number at all times. I can do that without being body marked. Race rules also say I have to display my number (I'll have on my race belt) to get my bike from transition. I'll comply with that. No problem.

As to the left arm marking.........and not using the number on the bike.......I'm at a loss for why they said that. Do a lot of people get on the wrong bike?.....lol

Edited by nc452010 2016-04-13 9:07 AM

2016-04-13 9:22 AM

User image

Exton, PA

My race (and the rules) say you have to display your race number at all times. I can do that without being body marked. Race rules also say I have to display my number (I'll have on my race belt) to get my bike from transition. I'll comply with that. No problem.

As to the left arm marking.........and not using the number on the bike.......I'm at a loss for why they said that. Do a lot of people get on the wrong bike?.....lol

the bike number can be hard to read as it is usually somewhere under the seat and your legs are in front of it.

It's not a big deal, just get marked.
2016-04-13 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I've been marked in every race I've ever done. I just don't see the point in it, anymore (especially since I stated, from the beginning, that I'd be wearing a sleeved tri top).

Race directions call for us to place our (big) race number towards the front of the horizontal tube on our bikes.

I'll comply with the rules. I'll mark my swim cap.

Edited by nc452010 2016-04-13 9:31 AM
2016-04-13 10:34 AM
in reply to: Sillygal

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by Sillygal

For what its worth-

In the races I've done you can't get out of transition after the race with your bike unless you show your body # matches the # on the bike. They also use the body marking to make sure only athletes are in transition.

I have had the same experience. No body mark, no bike recovery.

I don't care one way or the other. However, since a calf injury I ride & run almost exclusively with calf sleeves so no way tell what my age is (unless you consider my grey hair and white beard an indicator).

2016-04-13 10:44 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
From my event details page.........

"BIKE CHECK-OUT: Please be aware that you will be required to show your race number
to remove your bike from the transition area 2 after the race."

I'm going to assume my race number will be on my race belt (which will be on me). I may let them mark my calf (although that's the part I know isn't mandatory), just to say I got marked.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is body marking a requirement? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Removing body markings

Started by KenD
Views: 754 Posts: 7

2007-10-18 8:29 AM hangloose

Just curious -- Why do we need body marking? Pages: 1 2

Started by jsnowash
Views: 1986 Posts: 34

2007-07-10 4:18 PM Princess_Megz

Age Groups and Body Marking

Started by SlickWillie
Views: 1080 Posts: 7

2007-03-14 9:04 AM davidb

BT body marking Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by CubeFarmGopher
Views: 4569 Posts: 84

2006-03-29 8:53 AM luv2flyjrn

The Importance of Body Marking

Started by Lucy
Views: 1519 Posts: 16

2014-07-28 3:27 PM crowny2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 12, 2012
comments : 2
Mark will reveal blow by blow what took him from six devastating setbacks in the Ironman World Championships in Kona to the first of his six World Championship victories on the Big Island.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
Video on what body marking is all about during check-in.

date : October 31, 2004
author : ewkfit
I may not have pre-pubescent hips or breasts and at 36 that would be ridiculous. I do not need to have an "airbrushed body" and why do I revere that?
date : October 10, 2004
author : FIN16
The human body can endure extreme physical hardships but a trained, confident mind can endure much more.