General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strava Brag...First KOM! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-06-15 9:08 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Strava Brag...First KOM!
With all the crazy good cyclists that train around where I live, this surely won't last, but still..I'm pumped! With cycling always being my weak link, this is a big breakthrough to me. All that time suffering on the trainer this winter was apparently worth it. This also makes me realize two things; one is how insanely fast pros are...my max effort on 14 miles wouldn't compare to the pros IM paces and they go on to run sub 3:00 marathons after. And second; a sub 1-hour 40k is still likely out of reach considering this was just half the distance and I still didn't hit the pace, but I'm getting there. Here's to training with power!

ETA: the pressure sensor on my 920xt is not working...the entire ride wasn't done at 22,000+ feet of elevation, and it wasn't *that* flat.

Edited by 3mar 2016-06-15 9:11 AM

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (75KB - 18 downloads)

2016-06-15 9:11 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Strava Brag...First KOM!

Awesome!

2016-06-15 9:11 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Awesome. Way to go!
2016-06-15 9:19 AM
in reply to: marti038

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
nice job and I can certainly feel your pain as I have a medal winning Olympian who seems to ride all the same routes I do. I am still no where near any of those KOM's
2016-06-15 9:23 AM

User image

Aledo, Texas

Great stuff!

2016-06-15 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Congrats!!

Yep, there are some folks out there that will consistently destroy my best effort. I'll keep going back for more though. I guess I am a glutten for punishment.

2016-06-15 10:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
To the OP - congrats! No small thing...

One thing I'd like to understand about Strava KOM's is how it accounts for riders who were in pelotons vs. solo riders. If I'm on my tri rig, I'm doing 100% of the work. Lots of the names I see on local KOM's are roadies who are usually in a group; not exactly an apple/apple comparison about the effort on a segment.

Small question for a slow Wednesday in the office...

Edited by alltom1 2016-06-15 10:20 AM
2016-06-15 10:22 AM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by alltom1

One thing I'd like to understand about Strava KOM's is how it accounts for riders who were in pelotons vs. solo riders. If I'm on my tri rig, I'm doing 100% of the work. Lots of the names I see on local KOM's are roadies who are usually in a group; not exactly an apple/apple comparison about the effort on a segment.

Small question for a slow Wednesday in the office...

That's actually why I targeted this one. It's the longest one I found in my area and roadies just don't have the attention span for long steady efforts . Looking at the top 10 spots, it looks like all solo efforts based on the power. Actually of the top 10 spots, I was one of the lowest in power. There is another segment within this one where the KOM averaged close to 26 mph on 199 watts...that screams peloton to me. Also, the other issue here is weather conditions, for any of the point to point segments it's more of the wind than anything. Again, this one is a loop so that's also out of the equation. I wouldn't bother with the shorter point to point segments for these very reasons.
2016-06-15 10:25 AM

User image

Originally posted by 3mar
Originally posted by alltom1 One thing I'd like to understand about Strava KOM's is how it accounts for riders who were in pelotons vs. solo riders. If I'm on my tri rig, I'm doing 100% of the work. Lots of the names I see on local KOM's are roadies who are usually in a group; not exactly an apple/apple comparison about the effort on a segment. Small question for a slow Wednesday in the office...
That's actually why I targeted this one. It's the longest one I found in my area and roadies just don't have the attention span for long steady efforts . Looking at the top 10 spots, it looks like all solo efforts based on the power. Actually of the top 10 spots, I was one of the lowest in power. There is another segment within this one where the KOM averaged close to 26 mph on 199 watts...that screams peloton to me. Also, the other issue here is weather conditions, for any of the point to point segments it's more of the wind than anything. Again, this one is a loop so that's also out of the equation. I wouldn't bother with the shorter point to point segments for these very reasons.

If you are just trying to determine if it was a group effort ?  You can click on the person who has the KOM and see if other people they follow are on the same ride.  They'll show up on that persons activity. 

2016-06-15 10:34 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by alltom1 One thing I'd like to understand about Strava KOM's is how it accounts for riders who were in pelotons vs. solo riders. If I'm on my tri rig, I'm doing 100% of the work. Lots of the names I see on local KOM's are roadies who are usually in a group; not exactly an apple/apple comparison about the effort on a segment. Small question for a slow Wednesday in the office...

If you are just trying to determine if it was a group effort ?  You can click on the person who has the KOM and see if other people they follow are on the same ride.  They'll show up on that persons activity. 

Well geez...yeah, if you want to go and make it all simple...
2016-06-15 10:42 AM

User image

Just trying to free you up for more ride time.  That and pre bedtime dance parties. 

2016-06-15 11:25 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Katy, Texas
This was my last hard effort before starting a taper...so there will be dancing...lots of dancing (probably more frantic than rhythmic as the nervous energy builds).

So to alltom1's point, I wonder why Strava doesn't have two categorizes (Peloton vs solo)? It'd be easy enough to automate.

Another thought on Strava; they have CRs for running and KOMs for biking, why not have pool records for swimming? Check in what pool you're in when you start a workout and they could save the fastest 50, 100, 500, 1,500 etc....
2016-06-15 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by 3mar This was my last hard effort before starting a taper

Don't know what you're tapering for, but there's a 40k TT this weekend....ijs

2016-06-15 12:27 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by ligersandtions

I'm doing the Buffalo Springs 70.3 the week after. I was almost tempted to do the 40k but I'm just starting to feel good about myself on the bike, I don't need to see what actual fast cyclists do right now.
2016-06-15 12:42 PM

User image

Nice, I think I might win my driveway.   That's about it

2016-06-15 12:52 PM

User image

Originally posted by 3mar This was my last hard effort before starting a taper...so there will be dancing...lots of dancing (probably more frantic than rhythmic as the nervous energy builds). So to alltom1's point, I wonder why Strava doesn't have two categorizes (Peloton vs solo)? It'd be easy enough to automate. Another thought on Strava; they have CRs for running and KOMs for biking, why not have pool records for swimming? Check in what pool you're in when you start a workout and they could save the fastest 50, 100, 500, 1,500 etc....

My guess would be all the Olympians who would post swim times that were close to, if not world records.  Similar to all the KOM's that were done in cars or my favorite...planes.  When a coworker showed me his strava activities after a vacation last year it was comical all the KOMs by these insanely fast people who are able to ride from the east coast to the west coast in only a few hours.   Or maybe just fear the strava terrorists will take it over. 

You're about to start tapering ?  Should we expect the bizarre threads topics to start popping up ?

2016-06-15 12:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

You're about to start tapering ?  Should we expect the bizarre threads topics to start popping up ?

nah...I think I ran out of material.

I could do a "guess my 70.3 time" thread maybe. It's been quiet here lately.

Edited by 3mar 2016-06-15 12:57 PM
2016-06-15 2:39 PM

User image

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano You're about to start tapering ?  Should we expect the bizarre threads topics to start popping up ?

nah...I think I ran out of material. I could do a "guess my 70.3 time" thread maybe. It's been quiet here lately.

Cue it up

2016-06-15 3:09 PM

Good Job!
2016-06-15 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I'm doing the Buffalo Springs 70.3 the week after. I was almost tempted to do the 40k but I'm just starting to feel good about myself on the bike, I don't need to see what actual fast cyclists do right now.

I think a 40k TT one week out from Buffalo Springs would be a perfect taper!  Keep the intensity but drop the volume  You know you want to!  And really, who cares what "actual fast cyclists" do?  It's about gauging your improvements....plus, real cyclists don't have to balance swimming and running, so we have a built in excuse

Buffalo Springs is a great race!  Hardest race I've ever done....but I would definitely do it again.  Hope you enjoy it.  Be prepared for hot and windy conditions....but it should be a nice break from the humidity.  But what happened to your plan to race in only flat locations?

2016-06-15 9:31 PM

User image

plus, real cyclists don't have to balance swimming and running, so we have a built in excuse

ROFL!  

2016-06-15 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Based on what I saw on Strava, Eric Larson the former KOM lives in Virginia now. I doubt he will come back to reclaim his title. It also doesn't look like a real active loop since Minh Tran is the only other one this month that has done it. He averaged 18.4 so it doesn't sound like he's gunning for you. This may be one of those KOM's that stands for a long time. Congratulations. 24.9 mph is a pretty fast speed. I bet you break an hour for 40K.

I've done the Buffalo springs bike course a few times. It will probably be really hot and windy this year. If you train in Houston, the dry heat around Lubbock will feel like nothing to you. Just stay well hydrated. The course is over 3000ft. Most people will not feel any altitude effect at all. Some people are incredibly sensitive to it. Good luck.
2016-06-15 11:14 PM
in reply to: NeilsWheel

Congrats! It's such a rad feeling to bag one in a high talent density area. I had my first one for all of a week until a pro visiting for the IM 70.3 oceanside crushed it on a "training ride", and I cried all day.

Those are some nice numbers you posted. Solid work!

2016-06-16 8:33 AM
in reply to: NeilsWheel

User image

Katy, Texas
Thanks everyone, for the congrats. It wasn't long ago that averaging over 20 mph on a flat windless course seemed like a lofty goal.

But what happened to your plan to race in only flat locations?

Well, I've put a ton of training time in this winter and really haven't had anything to show for it. My first race was a bit of a cluster (bad seeding in pool swim and bad pacing) then my second race had the swim canceled which takes away my best discipline, so I really wanted to get out there. Sean (Jet Black on here) suggested we do it, so I said what the heck. It's only 1,000 ft of climbing and my 50-60 mile long rides range from 500-600 which feel pancake flat, so I’m not too worried about it. I'm looking forward to dry heat!
Originally posted by Jason N

plus, real cyclists don't have to balance swimming and running, so we have a built in excuse

ROFL!

Oh yeah, I use this all the time. I was in the pool yesterday and the woman next to me was warming up at almost the pace of my 200 repeats. I just had to tell myself that she was probably a terrible runner .
Originally posted by NeilsWheel

Based on what I saw on Strava, Eric Larson the former KOM lives in Virginia now. I doubt he will come back to reclaim his title. It also doesn't look like a real active loop since Minh Tran is the only other one this month that has done it. He averaged 18.4 so it doesn't sound like he's gunning for you. This may be one of those KOM's that stands for a long time. Congratulations. 24.9 mph is a pretty fast speed. I bet you break an hour for 40K.

I've done the Buffalo springs bike course a few times. It will probably be really hot and windy this year. If you train in Houston, the dry heat around Lubbock will feel like nothing to you. Just stay well hydrated. The course is over 3000ft. Most people will not feel any altitude effect at all. Some people are incredibly sensitive to it. Good luck.

Eric still lives here and the guy gets a KOM just looking at his bike. He is a beast. I'm hoping that considering he has an insane amount of KOMs he won't notice this one. Call me a purist, but to me, the only KOMs I'm interested in are loops (so wind and elevation don't play a role) that are at least 10 miles long, that aren't currently owned by someone riding in a peloton. Those are really hard to find. So if he takes this one back, I'll just have to work harder and try to regain it.
2016-06-16 1:02 PM

User image

Pro

that's a hugely fast speed for me.  congratulations KOM.  enjoy the glory... while it lasts.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strava Brag...First KOM! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Strave Activities

Started by husse23
Views: 973 Posts: 7

2014-06-03 6:07 PM dfroelich

First Sprint Completed! Brag Report

Started by yrobinson
Views: 1911 Posts: 16

2013-01-28 9:48 AM tuwood

Brag post - my first century.

Started by kingofbanff
Views: 1840 Posts: 17

2013-01-12 2:52 PM kingofbanff

Pedal choice for first Tri with bragging rights on the line

Started by remout
Views: 1232 Posts: 14

2012-04-29 9:07 PM Danno77

First 10 mile run (caution-bragging ahead) Pages: 1 2

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1289 Posts: 28

2006-02-06 10:17 PM Tri-It
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Be ready for trouble out on the road

date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : August 31, 2011
author : gracetaBitha
comments : 2
What could've gone wrong did not go wrong. Everything that couldn't go right, went right. Result: The most wonderful, perfect, first triathlon for yours truly.
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Snoball
California 1/2 Ironman: The run was my biggest fear. Prior to training, I had never run more than two miles at any given time.
date : February 7, 2007
author : browncd
Twenty years after signing up for my first triathlon, I finally made it...but just in time!

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!