General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting a bike box to LAX and back Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-13 6:35 PM

Subject: Getting a bike box to LAX and back
Hello all, just curious how folks in LA transport their bikes to the airport. I had a truck set up but my friend is now unavailable to take me. I checked with Uber but they can't guarantee that an UberSUV will have the seats removed to fit my bike box. I'm thinking I'll try to set up a taxi van (no seats) in advance (I checked Super Shuttle but it is pricey) and then on the return, hope that I can get a taxi van at LAX to take me home. I figure people do this somewhat often here...what do you guys use? Any tips? Thanks!

2016-07-14 3:44 PM
in reply to: mcstrangelove

User image

Subject: RE: Getting a bike box to LAX and back

Sorry, always use TBT!     I'd just request a taxi minivan and be done with it, probably not much more (maybe less) than an uber SUV (did that once for dive gear and it was more than a taxi!) but can't believe that there would be an SUV with fold down seats that wouldn't fit a box (unless it's huge)

Just get in the LAX taxi line, you may have to pass up a few Prius' but they'll call for a bigger van

2016-07-14 4:04 PM
in reply to: mcstrangelove

User image

I have flow in and out of LAX a few times with a bike bag. Was not a problem. Called local taxi and made sure they sent the mini van. Same at airport upon return. To give a a sense of size, my bag was able to fit into a Jeep Liberty rental car with the half the back seat folded down
2016-07-15 4:13 PM
in reply to: StevenC

Sounds like asking for a van isn't a problem so I think that will be the route I go. I guess I'll make sure to call it PLENTY early in case it takes longer than a normal taxi. Yes, I prefer to use TBT but this race doesn't have any transport options. My bike box is pretty big: 58" x 22" x 31." Maybe I should call the cab company and see if they can assure me it would fit.

Thanks all!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting a bike box to LAX and back Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help... gyms near LAX

Started by smoom
Views: 1025 Posts: 4

2014-09-29 11:02 AM ChrisM

Give back - Redondo Beach Tri volunteers

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1085 Posts: 2

2012-04-27 10:36 AM STut

Macca back at Malibu sprint

Started by tcovert
Views: 1100 Posts: 5

2009-08-03 12:17 PM tcovert

Pasadena Marathon is Back On

Started by hondo77
Views: 1266 Posts: 3

2008-12-12 12:41 PM WaterDog66

21st Annual Castaic Triathlon is back !

Started by van_paulus
Views: 6143 Posts: 10

2008-08-05 10:15 AM van_paulus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 30, 2016
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
When you can't train the way you want, train the way you can

date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
We take a tour through Colorado Premier Training's wind tunnel. Mark Cote explains how it works and how getting a wind tunnel bike fit can be one of your most important tools in getting faster.

date : April 24, 2005
I can't get my gel pack out of my back pocket and then get it open to eat! I know this sounds really beginnerish, but what tricks or tools can I use to be able to have my food more accessible?