BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-10-18 10:25 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Got out and ran a half mile tonight.  Continuing my running rehab.  Great birthday present! :D

Happy Cake Day! Running is a great present!

2016-10-19 12:15 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella I declare recovery over and the off season has begun! Oh wait, that means summer is over. Well that stinks.

I have to disagree - summer being over is great! Bring on the 70* weather!! 

Yeah, not so much. 90+ for last night's ride. More of the same today. Maybe by the weekend?????

90 Yikes!. I would melt like Frosty.
Never move to Perth Western Australia then because normally we hit 90 to 105+ nearly every day between mid December and late March.
2016-10-19 6:14 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by fortissimo

Got out and ran a half mile tonight.  Continuing my running rehab.  Great birthday present! :D

Happy Cake Day! Running is a great present!

I hope you had a great birthday!!

2016-10-19 7:57 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Expert
Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by JBacarella I declare recovery over and the off season has begun! Oh wait, that means summer is over. Well that stinks.

Yeah, not so much. 90+ for last night's ride. More of the same today. Maybe by the weekend?????

Never move to Perth Western Australia then because normally we hit 90 to 105+ nearly every day between mid December and late March.

I would love to visit Australia, but I will make a note about time of year. Actually daughter #2 is looking at a study abroad program in Sydney next Summer. We are considering a vacation trip there if she does.
The heat was part of the reason we moved from Atlanta.
2016-10-19 8:48 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Yay! Keep up the healing ways!

2016-10-19 9:17 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I would love to visit Australia, but I will make a note about time of year. Actually daughter #2 is looking at a study abroad program in Sydney next Summer. We are considering a vacation trip there if she does. The heat was part of the reason we moved from Atlanta.

Funny, we left Long Island because of the cold. 14 snow events in one year will do that to a Floridian!

2016-10-19 9:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Oops, Double Whammy.

Edited by cdban66 2016-10-19 9:17 AM
2016-10-19 9:52 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Speaking of heat, sister & her family are moving to Austin sometime. Husband's job started already, so he's going back & forth with her coming to visit at times, getting a feel for things. They've posted around a dozen places they like going to there, but only one of them is not a bar/pub saloon. There is other stuff to do down there, right?

2016-10-19 1:31 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

Speaking of heat, sister & her family are moving to Austin sometime. Husband's job started already, so he's going back & forth with her coming to visit at times, getting a feel for things. They've posted around a dozen places they like going to there, but only one of them is not a bar/pub saloon. There is other stuff to do down there, right?

Sweet Jesus, only one!!! What about breakfast tacos? Or TexMex in general? And one of the best music scenes (other than Seattle of course) in the country!

I really liked the container bar

Image result for container bar austin

and maybe it's just because I am from Seattle and outdoorsy but I love all the open air bars/restraunts/coffee shops there in general

Radio Coffee and Beer Outdoor Patio

Image result for best open air bar austin

2016-10-19 1:49 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Sweet Jesus, only one!!! What about breakfast tacos? Or TexMex in general? And one of the best music scenes (other than Seattle of course) in the country!

and maybe it's just because I am from Seattle and outdoorsy but I love all the open air bars/restraunts/coffee shops there in general

They're finding places like you described, only one post is NOT. They just did an anniversary trip in Mexico, so might have fewer Mex things for now. Definitely music places (she was/is big into performace arts, theater and things). Indoors, outdoors and ones that can't make up their mind.

2016-10-19 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I did my first trail run yesterday! Just shy of 2.5 miles, complete with unexpected clambering over rocks and "that weird noise" turning out to be the waterfall. Quite amazing for this suburban girl.
I have no doubts that I want to do more of this, and also no doubts that my barefoot style road shoes are not the right footwear. Any suggestions for zero drop trail shoes? Anything I should be on the lookout for? I'm not hugely confident in my LRS, and would like a bit of schooling from the trail running manatees before I head in there with my credit card!

2016-10-19 4:11 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Atlantia I did my first trail run yesterday! Just shy of 2.5 miles, complete with unexpected clambering over rocks and "that weird noise" turning out to be the waterfall. Quite amazing for this suburban girl. I have no doubts that I want to do more of this, and also no doubts that my barefoot style road shoes are not the right footwear. Any suggestions for zero drop trail shoes? Anything I should be on the lookout for? I'm not hugely confident in my LRS, and would like a bit of schooling from the trail running manatees before I head in there with my credit card!

Sounds like another one is hooked!

I've been using Altra for everything running. Everything they make is zero drop, but isn't really barefoot as it'll have cushioning. Still has way more room across the toes/forefoot than about anything else. They have 3 different levels of trail shoes with the Superior being the slimmest, the Lone Peak in the middle and the Olympus being super cushioned. The first two have a rock plate in them, not sure that the Olympus does (but may not need it). It's a harder, but still flexible, piece of rubber in the shoe that dulls out the sharper points. Like when stepping on a rock. Still know you did it, but doesn't come through as sharply. For the Superior it's removable.

ETA: I'm not seeing the women's Superior on their site. They do have the Golden Spike too, but that's an XC shoe. I don't know as much about that type, though not sure it's what you're looking for. Anyone else run XC in addition to Adrienne?

Edited by brigby1 2016-10-19 4:13 PM
2016-10-19 5:53 PM

User image

Expert

I would love to visit Australia, but I will make a note about time of year. Actually daughter #2 is looking at a study abroad program in Sydney next Summer. We are considering a vacation trip there if she does. The heat was part of the reason we moved from Atlanta.

Funny, we left Long Island because of the cold. 14 snow events in one year will do that to a Floridian!

Ha Ha 14 snow events is an average week for February in Northern Michigan.
2016-10-19 6:21 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia I did my first trail run yesterday! Just shy of 2.5 miles, complete with unexpected clambering over rocks and "that weird noise" turning out to be the waterfall. Quite amazing for this suburban girl. I have no doubts that I want to do more of this, and also no doubts that my barefoot style road shoes are not the right footwear. Any suggestions for zero drop trail shoes? Anything I should be on the lookout for? I'm not hugely confident in my LRS, and would like a bit of schooling from the trail running manatees before I head in there with my credit card!

I LOVE trail running/racing!  Welcome to the club!! But, I do not wear 0 drop shoes as my Achilles are not keen on them. I'm not sure if they're 0 drop or just low drop, but I think Brooks Pure Grit gets good reviews. TJ should be able to add some insight.

2016-10-19 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

This might not be the winter for a new bike, but it's definitely time to swap out saddles.  Anyone have any suggestions for a tri saddle that I could use as a starting point to look at?

2016-10-19 8:09 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Asalzwed

They're finding places like you described, only one post is NOT. They just did an anniversary trip in Mexico, so might have fewer Mex things for now. Definitely music places (she was/is big into performace arts, theater and things). Indoors, outdoors and ones that can't make up their mind.

ooohhhh my bad. Lol. Definitely lots of outdoorsy stuff too. Running and biking galore. Ladybird lake / river to paddle and swim and Barton Springs is pretty unique. Now I want to go to a Austin again!

2016-10-19 8:49 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hi guys I need some help please.

My sister finished her last HM in just under 2 hours (yes we told her she was a b!tch) but now she is asking how she gets faster.

She is so far past my level of knowledge that I don't know how to help her. I have suggested that she see if she can find a local running club, but I'm not sure there is one in the town where they live. Any suggestions and information that you can give me to pass on to her would be greatly appreciated.
2016-10-19 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure what her run background is, but Hal Higdon's website has some good programs that gradually build volume and incorporate speedwork. The intermediate level, IIRC, seems suited to someone who runs regularly and has a decent base of fitness, but hasn't done a lot of focused speedwork before. I have used a combo of his intemediate and advanced programs when I have trained for HM in the past. (Or maybe there's an "advanced intemediate" option. The volume seems a little low for me on the intermediate plan, but the speedwork is a bit much for my body on the advanced, not least because I'm doing it at 5 AM! ) There is also another popular run website with somewhat more aggressive plans which I have usedin the past but the name escapes me right now. Maybe Ryan Hall?? I have also recommended the Higdon plans for colleagues and parents (and even, for a student who insisted on running a HM with his mom, the beginner plan) with similar goals and it has generally worked for them.

Running clubs can be usefuland motivating for some people, but it can be hard to get in a workout at the right pace. I think there's a tendency to push too hard to keep up with faster people. Might be useful once or twice a week for people who have trouble pushing themselves in a solo workout or who enjoy the social aspect, but with all the tech toys available now, it really doesn't seem necessary. Personally I would rather run alone.

2016-10-19 9:44 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Never been to Austin but have several friends/colleagues from there. From what they tell me, it's a huge biking town. Lots of clubs and even professionals.
2016-10-20 7:55 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Laura - I saw your blog post about the trail running. Pretty cool stuff! I really can't help on the trail runners, simply from a zero drop standpoint. I am using Montrail Masochist's both for hiking and running in the rougher terrain (such that it is) that I run in. I would encourage you to look at some smaller brands, like Altra, Salomon, North Face, or Inov8. I think Inov8 has a 4 mm drop shoe, but not sure about 0. And there are others as well, you may become overwhelmed at the variety available. This may help: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Trail-Running-Shoes-Womens-Reviews or http://trailrunnermag.com/gear/trail-running-shoes. I like the reviews at www.gogumption.com  as well, but the running shoe stuff may be a little light.

Tom - I am riding an ISM  on my tri bike and I find it to be very comfortable. I have a Specialized Power Comp on my road bike which is pretty good.

Ben - Matt and Monica may be able to add to the Austin discussion, although they have both been fairly absent lately. I'll drop Monica a line and see if she can stop by if you'd like. My only Austin observation is that everyone I know that has moved there is happy, FWIW.

2016-10-20 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

This might not be the winter for a new bike, but it's definitely time to swap out saddles.  Anyone have any suggestions for a tri saddle that I could use as a starting point to look at?

I use an Adamo Prologue and like it. I have a cobb on my road bike that would more than likely work very nicely on my tri bike too. 

2016-10-20 8:30 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner Not sure what her run background is, but Hal Higdon's website has some good programs that gradually build volume and incorporate speedwork. The intermediate level, IIRC, seems suited to someone who runs regularly and has a decent base of fitness, but hasn't done a lot of focused speedwork before. I have used a combo of his intemediate and advanced programs when I have trained for HM in the past. (Or maybe there's an "advanced intemediate" option. The volume seems a little low for me on the intermediate plan, but the speedwork is a bit much for my body on the advanced, not least because I'm doing it at 5 AM! ) There is also another popular run website with somewhat more aggressive plans which I have usedin the past but the name escapes me right now. Maybe Ryan Hall?? I have also recommended the Higdon plans for colleagues and parents (and even, for a student who insisted on running a HM with his mom, the beginner plan) with similar goals and it has generally worked for them. Running clubs can be usefuland motivating for some people, but it can be hard to get in a workout at the right pace. I think there's a tendency to push too hard to keep up with faster people. Might be useful once or twice a week for people who have trouble pushing themselves in a solo workout or who enjoy the social aspect, but with all the tech toys available now, it really doesn't seem necessary. Personally I would rather run alone.

Hanson maybe? Have seen it come up a bit (and it also starts with an H ).

I've used Daniels a fair amount (on top of picking up things from lots of other places). He has the Running Formula book which explains a lot of things well. It also has various types of plans. 4 levels of general running from beginner to very advanced. These are the off season ones without a specific race goal, other than to run well or get faster in general. They can have a good amount of volume and do have faster paced work in them. There are also race specific plans from 800m to marathon. These plans are meant more for someone who has already been running a bit, like coming off the end of one of the general plans.

2016-10-20 8:37 AM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

I use an Adamo Prologue and like it. I have a cobb on my road bike that would more than likely work very nicely on my tri bike too. 

I used the Adamo TT for awhile. Something nice about Adamo is that they are thicker without being squishy and can take up some of the road bumps better than others do. I seemed to start getting thigh rub on them if I didn't stay super thin though. They do have the ability to position you very far forward. More so than any other saddle I've used.

The Dash saddle worked well too. I had some more room to move around on it. It's more forward than other saddles, but not as much as the Adamo was. I didn't have to stay as thin with it, but still had some rub if I was too far from race weight.

Cobb saddles tend to be popular as well, but I didn't like them. The Max level cushioning was too squishy and slimmer ones curved or bowed causing what felt like a couple knobs pressing up .. in there. Not comfortable. For others they're great though.

Basically, a lot of recommendations will likely have a good size groove or channel in them, with a number being noseless or stub nosed.

2016-10-20 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Laura - I saw your blog post about the trail running. Pretty cool stuff! I really can't help on the trail runners, simply from a zero drop standpoint. I am using Montrail Masochist's both for hiking and running in the rougher terrain (such that it is) that I run in. I would encourage you to look at some smaller brands, like Altra, Salomon, North Face, or Inov8. I think Inov8 has a 4 mm drop shoe, but not sure about 0. And there are others as well, you may become overwhelmed at the variety available. This may help: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Trail-Running-Shoes-Womens-Reviews or http://trailrunnermag.com/gear/trail-running-shoes. I like the reviews at www.gogumption.com  as well, but the running shoe stuff may be a little light.

Tom - I am riding an ISM  on my tri bike and I find it to be very comfortable. I have a Specialized Power Comp on my road bike which is pretty good.

Ben - Matt and Monica may be able to add to the Austin discussion, although they have both been fairly absent lately. I'll drop Monica a line and see if she can stop by if you'd like. My only Austin observation is that everyone I know that has moved there is happy, FWIW.

Altra is very popular among trail and ultra runners. It is 0 drop and has a nice wide toe box. My favorite is the Lone Peak.

2016-10-20 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi guys I need some help please. My sister finished her last HM in just under 2 hours (yes we told her she was a b!tch) but now she is asking how she gets faster. She is so far past my level of knowledge that I don't know how to help her. I have suggested that she see if she can find a local running club, but I'm not sure there is one in the town where they live. Any suggestions and information that you can give me to pass on to her would be greatly appreciated.

A few things your sister may want to do : incorporate hills into her runs. Hills build lung and leg strength and provide a nice basis for speed work; find her pace using a pace calculator like this one .Then she'll have an idea of what her long easy runs and track work should look like now and when she gets faster; and, do track work and or mile repeats.     

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.