General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ***Visual Awareness of Cyclists*** Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-12-06 9:15 AM

Subject: ***Visual Awareness of Cyclists***
Hello Biking World,

I am a high school student who is working on an engineering project to fix the problem of visual awareness and safety of bikers. I compiled a list of questions that are related to the issue in order to give me a statistical analysis of how to solve my problem. The link to the survey is below. Thank You.

https://docs.google.com/a/k12.friscoisd.org/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSda9ana...

Sincerely,

James

2016-12-06 10:22 AM
in reply to: Jamesvon2

, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: ***Visual Awareness of Cyclists***
Done!d Takes maybe 1 minute . . .
2016-12-06 10:50 AM
in reply to: MikeD1

Tried to do it but requires sign-in to google account, which I do not have.
2016-12-06 2:17 PM

User image

Interesting survey.  I am a daily commuter that often has parts of their ride in the dark, during traffic hours as well as someone who trains during normal daylight hours.  I didn't realize how much I've actually spent on lights, but there is no way I would commute this time of year without them.  Just yesterday my rear tail light died and I was forced to drive to work.  I ended up buying another light from the LBS, ordering another one online, and filing for a warranty replacement of the broken light.  Goal being to have a minimum of two lights with me at all times, and possibly 3 if the warranty comes through (which it should).  I already have two headlights with me.

All that being said, assuming a cyclist does have lights on them, I still think the biggest problem regarding "visual awareness of cyclists" is in relation to the drivers around us and how much attention the pay to non vehicles on the road.  I know I was this way as a driver before I started riding.  If you were not a car without two tail lights in front of me, I didn't really pay much attention to anything else.  Drivers need to be scanning more of the road ahead of them and make assumptions that there may be a cyclist in the shoulder ahead that may possibly have to come back into the lane if the shoulder narrows.  There are many times when I commute where I see drivers in the right lane that drift over the solid white line and in the shoulder because they assume it doesn't matter.  

I truly believe that most drivers who hit or have close calls with cyclists aren't a-holes...they are just not as attentive as they should be because they don't know what it's like to be on a bike with traffic.

2016-12-06 4:52 PM

Thank You for all of your help!!
2016-12-07 11:28 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
, California

Originally posted by Jason N

Interesting survey.  I am a daily commuter that often has parts of their ride in the dark, during traffic hours as well as someone who trains during normal daylight hours.  I didn't realize how much I've actually spent on lights, but there is no way I would commute this time of year without them.  Just yesterday my rear tail light died and I was forced to drive to work.  I ended up buying another light from the LBS, ordering another one online, and filing for a warranty replacement of the broken light.  Goal being to have a minimum of two lights with me at all times, and possibly 3 if the warranty comes through (which it should).  I already have two headlights with me.

All that being said, assuming a cyclist does have lights on them, I still think the biggest problem regarding "visual awareness of cyclists" is in relation to the drivers around us and how much attention the pay to non vehicles on the road.  I know I was this way as a driver before I started riding.  If you were not a car without two tail lights in front of me, I didn't really pay much attention to anything else.  Drivers need to be scanning more of the road ahead of them and make assumptions that there may be a cyclist in the shoulder ahead that may possibly have to come back into the lane if the shoulder narrows.  There are many times when I commute where I see drivers in the right lane that drift over the solid white line and in the shoulder because they assume it doesn't matter.  

I truly believe that most drivers who hit or have close calls with cyclists aren't a-holes...they are just not as attentive as they should be because they don't know what it's like to be on a bike with traffic.

Agree with the above.  Also, there are certain situations that drivers take for granted that are very dangerous to cyclists.  For example, turning right on a red light, or turning right into a driveway without checking the bike lane first.  Opening the driver-side door on a parallel parked car into the bike lane is another one I see all the time.

2016-12-07 3:11 PM

Do you think the weather, time of year, and season contribute to this problem?
2016-12-09 1:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I do make sure I use adequate lighting (front and rear) when I cycle in dismal or dark conditions...however,

In my experience, I think impaired or distracted drivers are different than the norm.

Drunk or drug impaired drivers tend to "lock on" to bright lights and may even hit you simply because they are drawn like bugs to your light.
I'm not sure what to do about that, but it seems to be a tendency.

As for distracted drivers, nothing will save you if they looking are down at the phone.

Edited by metafizx 2016-12-09 2:02 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ***Visual Awareness of Cyclists*** Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Exertion induced visual problem Pages: 1 2

Started by KirkD
Views: 2778 Posts: 41

2011-09-04 8:14 AM La Tortuga

Best Awareness Ad Ever.

Started by Lucy
Views: 1104 Posts: 11

2008-03-20 8:17 AM christyr1978

Blood Cancer Awareness Month

Started by survivor
Views: 648 Posts: 2

2007-09-10 7:39 AM survivor

05/16 Ride of Silence - Help raise awareness for road cycling in your area

Started by DMW
Views: 533 Posts: 2

2007-05-11 9:25 AM jcdenton2000

Houston TX: Ride to raise awareness for cyclists killed or injured

Started by Nette213
Views: 609 Posts: 1

2006-05-05 1:06 PM Nette213
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 15
Learn what the proper pedaling technique looks like and how to become a more efficient and economical cyclist.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
If stay in the aero position for an extended period of time, I experience discomfort in my right hip and the lateral aspect of my left knee since putting on aerobars.

date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.
date : December 11, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
If you have ever felt confused by the plethora of commercial sports fuels, you are not alone. Runners, cyclists, and other athletes inevitably ask me, "What’s the best energy bar? gel? sports drink?"

date : May 30, 2005
author : Team BT
Hamilton has vowed to fight the allegations and “clear his name.” Is he guilty? You decide.
date : April 18, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
The following is a sneak peak at Nancy Clark’s upcoming book on endurance nutrition - The Cyclist’s Food Guide: Fueling for the Distance

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America