BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-01-15 4:40 PM
in reply to: #5210196

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Rest day here. Spent a chunk of time doing meal planning and prep for the week. And watching football.

2017-01-15 7:24 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Rest day here. Spent a chunk of time doing meal planning and prep for the week. And watching football.

A rest day on a Sunday chalked full of football. Nice prior planning. Who are you rooting for?

2017-01-15 7:34 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Juancho

One hour run, doing well on flats, suffering -too much- on the hills - need to work a LOT on this.

Juan

Juan - Part of doing an ironman is convincing yourself that you can do it. Figure out your weaknesses in regards to the course and then work your butt off to convince your brain that you can do it.

My weakness was hills and IMMT was packed with them - so I spent six months climbing up every hill I encountered just so I could convince myself that I could do them. The beauty of working my butt off in the weeks leading to the race was that on race morning I knew I could finish because I had already done more than the course would throw at me.

Two other thoughts about hills. One - don't do speedwork on hills - just do solid reps to build up muscle. A few times in my career I've don't fast hill repeats and pull my achilles as a result. Not good. Slow and steady wins the race. Also - try to find a place to do them on grass. Building muscles by running uphill is tough on the legs. Make sure you find a fill that has a little bounce and stay away from concrete if you can.

Just some thoughts.... Good luck

2017-01-15 7:44 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Time for the Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

Good - I had my best workout week in the last 4 months. Sure it was only 2 hours worth of work but I didn't blow off any workouts.

The bad - I've been eating poorly because of the stress of a job search. I haven't had stable employment in two years and it's a tense time in my family. Food is my drug of choice and I need to make smarter choices. To make matters worse - the school where my wife and family live is going to demolish our house in the next 12 months and we will need to find a few place to live. The school is located in one of the riches towns in america and it's going to be hard to stay here (we'd have to rent). If we can't find a place, we will have to move and that means pulling our kids from their schools. NOT GOOD!

The Ugly - This morning on my way to starbucks, I rearended a car that had stopped on front of me. I have a really good case of whip lash and my neck is OK but super sore. I think it's gonna mess with my workouts early this week (pool is out) so hopefully I can get a trainer ride in.

If you are the praying type, please pray for my job search. I need all the help I can get.
2017-01-15 7:46 PM
in reply to: #5210291

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Football: we're basically cheering against teams at this point. Dallas/Green Bay-- eh, don't care either way. KC/Pitt--KC all the way. We cheer against Ben Rothlisberger (sp?) always. We also lived in KC for two years and loved it.
2017-01-15 7:49 PM

User image

Expert
It's time for our weekly goals. Remember - the hit the QUOTE button (not the reply to post yours).

DQ's Goals: 1) Work out for at least 20 minutes 6 days this week. That's two hours minimum. 2) Lose 2 pounds. 3) Schedule a PT appointment. 4) Support my fellow BDASers! You guys rock!

2017-01-15 7:51 PM

User image

Expert

Football: we're basically cheering against teams at this point. Dallas/Green Bay-- eh, don't care either way. KC/Pitt--KC all the way. We cheer against Ben Rothlisberger (sp?) always. We also lived in KC for two years and loved it.

Growing up in Cleveland - I like anyone who roots against the Steelers. You go Gretchen!
2017-01-16 6:25 AM

User image

NAME: Scott

STORY: Well I started right here in BDAS after signing up for 3 local sprints and not owning a bike or ever having swam for the most part. Fast forward I have done 4 HIM a full IM and then took last year off training (although not racing which is not advisable).

FAMILY STATUS: Married with an 8 Yo daughter and an 8 week old son.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have actually started running again now just to get on the bike and in a pool. My goal for the year is 1000 miles and so far so good. First race is in April. I race for a team that raises money for the families of fallen officers.

2016 RACES: Raleigh and NC 70.3 Wilmington sprint

The Plan for 2017: My calendar is set for this year doing Galvaston (in memory of the dallas 5) Raleigh, Agusta and NC all 70.3. I also did the Grumpy which is the Dopey but the 13.1 was cancelled .

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: I am currently doing bourbon and Bookers is my go to, but a good makers barrel proof is also good

WEIGHT LOSS: I was up to 245 but started a Keto diet, reason for no beer and am now down to 234 as of this morning. Its only been 3 days so I am guessing for now its mostly water weight but I will keep you posted.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I started with nothing and have completed the a Full, had the post IM blahs set in and overcome them. Besides I already have the tri top.
2017-01-16 7:15 AM
in reply to: #5210308

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Welcome back, Scott!!
2017-01-16 8:04 AM
in reply to: #5210339

User image

DeLand, Florida
Hey all I'm here and happy to be back. I'll do the bio in a bit - thanks!
2017-01-16 9:09 AM
in reply to: #5210343

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short morning run today. Nice weather--40F, but foggy. I like running in the fog (as long as it is safe), because it feels like I'm the only person in the world!

2017-01-16 9:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Scott and John - so glad to have you guys back in the BDAS! Let's give them some love as they both recently completed in the Dopey Challenge in DIsney where you run a 5k, 10k, HM, and then a mary on 4 successive days. While the half got rained out - they should be proud of their accomplishments!

Edited by Qua17 2017-01-16 10:17 AM
2017-01-16 9:31 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

, California
Originally posted by b2b14

NAME: Scott

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I started with nothing and have completed the a Full, had the post IM blahs set in and overcome them. Besides I already have the tri top.

Welcome back Scott. Love the tri top reasoning!
2017-01-16 9:47 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, California
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Tavo2311 : My big goal for 2017 is Ironman Santa Rosa on 7.29.17.

Can't wait to see how this goes for you.  There was a lot of grief when it got moved and became IM branded so I'm interested to see/hear your experience.  I've never been too keen on doing an IM, but that one would be on the short list for sure.

Yeah I'm interested to see how it goes too Mike! Still kind of overwhelmed at the thought of jumping so much.

I did hear a lot of the complaints about the move to Santa Rosa, and I actually signed up when it was still Vineman. Other than the history of this race and the Ironman buyout and re-branding (which is not a problem specific to this race its happening everywhere), I think the changes are going to be good. The old Russian River swim I heard was almost too shallow to swim. During particularly dry summers you could stand if need be at the whole length of the course, which though no one would do you have to admit takes a lot of the mental game out of the equation for an open water swim. The transition area for T1 was dirt, so it created a complete mud fest for those slower swimmers. And the marathon was incredibly hot usually with no shade and finished in a tiny town. The new course has what looks like a truly beautiful swim setting in Lake Sonoma, a parking lot T1, keeps most of the bike course which was always touted as the best part of Vineman, and a run along the creek in Santa Rosa that should have much shade. Finally the "city" of Santa Rosa should offer more downtown for spectators to keep busy at least on race day while supporting the athletes, but still is not far from wine country sites to enjoy in the days leading up to or following.
2017-01-16 9:51 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

, California
Originally posted by MOlsen

Whew! Finally got caught up with all the new BDAS posts. Great start to the year, everyone! My goal for BDAS this year is to keep up with the group discussion. I burned myself out a bit last year with all the HM's so I'm going to focus on adding back in fun activities while keeping my fitness level up.

NAME: Mark

STORY:  I started the path down recreational endurance sports after having surgery on my foot and realizing that "running wasn't so bad". Going from couch to 5k, 10k, sprint triathlon, half marathon, and olympic triathlon!

CURRENT TRAINING: Mixture of running (on and off road), some biking as I can.

2016 RACES:  A whopping 8 half marathons (two of which were off-road), a sprint triathlon, and an olympic triathlon.

The Plan for 2017: Taking a step back from "lots and lots of races" to focus on one giant challenge: Full marathon distance trail run.

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: Hoppy (balanced hoppy,  not just super hoppy), pales and IPA's. I've also recently expanded into stouts. Being local to one of the nations best craft breweries (Firestone Walker) has me spoiled a bit.

WEIGHT LOSS: Need to drop about 10 pounds that I put on at the end of 2016.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I'm a middle aged, middle of the pack, beer appreciating, recreational endurance athlete. This will be my fourth year of BDAS and I can contribute tips and advice from the "average guy" perspective and help those coming "from the couch".

Welcome back Mark. So what's on tap for 2017? Have you chosen the full marathon trail run specifically yet, or is that a general goal of which you are choosing a specific race?
2017-01-16 10:00 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Expert
I weighed in this morning at 266.6 - not great but that is where I'm starting. My son was sick so Heidi (my wife) and I took turns staying with him and going to the gym. I hit the spin bike for 30 minutes and kept my hr in zone 2 and 3.

It's funny how far I've fallen. Today was the first day I dug my hrm out of my back of tricks and used it. Now I just have to figure out how Garmin Connect works so I can sync everything on my phone.

Hope everyone has a great day!

2017-01-16 10:04 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Whew! Finally got caught up with all the new BDAS posts. Great start to the year, everyone! My goal for BDAS this year is to keep up with the group discussion. I burned myself out a bit last year with all the HM's so I'm going to focus on adding back in fun activities while keeping my fitness level up.

NAME: Mark

STORY:  I started the path down recreational endurance sports after having surgery on my foot and realizing that "running wasn't so bad". Going from couch to 5k, 10k, sprint triathlon, half marathon, and olympic triathlon!

CURRENT TRAINING: Mixture of running (on and off road), some biking as I can.

2016 RACES:  A whopping 8 half marathons (two of which were off-road), a sprint triathlon, and an olympic triathlon.

The Plan for 2017: Taking a step back from "lots and lots of races" to focus on one giant challenge: Full marathon distance trail run.

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: Hoppy (balanced hoppy,  not just super hoppy), pales and IPA's. I've also recently expanded into stouts. Being local to one of the nations best craft breweries (Firestone Walker) has me spoiled a bit.

WEIGHT LOSS: Need to drop about 10 pounds that I put on at the end of 2016.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: I'm a middle aged, middle of the pack, beer appreciating, recreational endurance athlete. This will be my fourth year of BDAS and I can contribute tips and advice from the "average guy" perspective and help those coming "from the couch".

Welcome back Mark! To those of you that are new - Mark is the resident master of the Half Marathon. He's done a ton so if you want or need any info, he's your man!
2017-01-16 10:17 AM

User image

, California
How was everyone's weekend? A good one for me here. Both a swim and a run on Saturday. A slow easy 35 min run first and then to the gym for a harder swim set of about 2500yd. I would have to go back and look but that may have been my longest distance yet, and it included a couple of 300 yard intervals where you build within each 100... so at the end of the first 100 you're coming in very hard and then no rest just slow it back down to start the next 100. Good to see how the technique breaks down when fatigued.

Sunday was a short ride of just under an hour. Just wanted to get outside for the first time since getting aerobars installed last month. I've been on the trainer with them, but hadn't yet tried them when I have to actually control the bike. Went well for the most part. Then some weights in the afternoon.

Enjoying a day off from work today. Will do some strength and yoga this morning, and then my swim squad tonight. Which reminds me I haven't told everyone about the squad I joined...

Some of you know about the open water group I found to swim with on Saturday mornings. Called SMOG (Swim Mechanic's Ocean Group) run by Bryan Mineo (aka the Swim Mechanic). Its a group open to the public for free that Bryan and his volunteer kayakers put on simply to provide a community of open water swimmers in the area. A few months ago though he started to supplement with a coaching service called SMOG Squads. The squads run one month at a time so there is not a long term commitment, and you swim two nights a week, and the size is capped so he can give good amount of individual feedback. It is intentionally not a masters group, and the drills and swim sets are always focused on getting better in the OWS, not traditional swim technique training. We will do things like 3-wide in a lane sprint 25s...ensuring a lot of contact and chaos. Or pair up and swim 25 where the first goes off 2-3 seconds earlier than their partner and swims easy, and the 2nd swimmer needs to catch up and overtake the other, then switch on the way back. The "easy" swimmer is instructed to try to create some contact when they feel those behind them. I only signed up for the first time in January so for me its only been two sessions for me so far, but its been a lot of fun and I think getting some feedback will be WELL WORTH IT. I only taught myself to swim about 20 months ago and never had a coach or lesson, so I'm sure there a bunch of easy wins to make me more efficient. I originally intended on giving this a try for January but then see where I stood once my IM training plan started in February. I think now I'll keep going with these and I will work with the coach on how these will make up two of my 3-4 swims for the week in my training plan.
2017-01-16 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Tavo2311

How was everyone's weekend? A good one for me here. Both a swim and a run on Saturday. A slow easy 35 min run first and then to the gym for a harder swim set of about 2500yd. I would have to go back and look but that may have been my longest distance yet, and it included a couple of 300 yard intervals where you build within each 100... so at the end of the first 100 you're coming in very hard and then no rest just slow it back down to start the next 100. Good to see how the technique breaks down when fatigued.

Sunday was a short ride of just under an hour. Just wanted to get outside for the first time since getting aerobars installed last month. I've been on the trainer with them, but hadn't yet tried them when I have to actually control the bike. Went well for the most part. Then some weights in the afternoon.

Enjoying a day off from work today. Will do some strength and yoga this morning, and then my swim squad tonight. Which reminds me I haven't told everyone about the squad I joined...

Some of you know about the open water group I found to swim with on Saturday mornings. Called SMOG (Swim Mechanic's Ocean Group) run by Bryan Mineo (aka the Swim Mechanic). Its a group open to the public for free that Bryan and his volunteer kayakers put on simply to provide a community of open water swimmers in the area. A few months ago though he started to supplement with a coaching service called SMOG Squads. The squads run one month at a time so there is not a long term commitment, and you swim two nights a week, and the size is capped so he can give good amount of individual feedback. It is intentionally not a masters group, and the drills and swim sets are always focused on getting better in the OWS, not traditional swim technique training. We will do things like 3-wide in a lane sprint 25s...ensuring a lot of contact and chaos. Or pair up and swim 25 where the first goes off 2-3 seconds earlier than their partner and swims easy, and the 2nd swimmer needs to catch up and overtake the other, then switch on the way back. The "easy" swimmer is instructed to try to create some contact when they feel those behind them. I only signed up for the first time in January so for me its only been two sessions for me so far, but its been a lot of fun and I think getting some feedback will be WELL WORTH IT. I only taught myself to swim about 20 months ago and never had a coach or lesson, so I'm sure there a bunch of easy wins to make me more efficient. I originally intended on giving this a try for January but then see where I stood once my IM training plan started in February. I think now I'll keep going with these and I will work with the coach on how these will make up two of my 3-4 swims for the week in my training plan.

This sounds like exactly what I need. I need to find a place where I can really hone my technique and not be in a lane where I'm constantly getting passed and lapped.
2017-01-16 2:18 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Matt-- that sounds like a really fun way to work on technique and the particular issues associated with ows!

It kinds sounds like what I just went through at our gym! Due to MLK Day the gym didn't open until noon. 12:00--line out the door! Hit the pool and the college team is there in full force, taking 75% of the available lanes. Then, there are a bunch of college kids who just want to screw around--not swim. I got lucky and managed to snag a lane with another lady from masters, so we were alright, but I saw a ton of collisions in lanes around me as actual swimmers trying to workout ran into, and were run into by, non-swimmers just there to hang out and goof off. I got in 1800yds before ceding my lane to another masters swimmer who showed up.
2017-01-16 2:34 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Good choices on TV shows!  I've watched all of those (well, I gave up half way through TWD because it got stupid, but I heard it's gotten better, so I may pick it back up at some point).  I do the same thing -- only watch TV when I'm on the trainer or treadmill.  It makes indoor sessions so much more manageable, and even motivating.  I'm currently watching The Wire.

Another good trainer/treadmill binge watching thing is triathlonlive.tv -- it's a paid subscription (but cheap) and you get all of the ITU WTS racing (current season and many past seasons), plus some bonus racing.  I'm excitedly waiting for ITU racing to resume

I live The Wire!! j/k, I just live near it and drive through it semi-regularly. I stopped watching after season 3...need to finish the series!

2017-01-16 2:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
I'm sorry for all the posts today - but I decided to take the time to make a BDAS directory which I have added to my log page.

Here's the link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly....

If I made any mistakes or omissions, please let me know.

Let's use it to leave inspires for everyone to cheer them on throughout the week. I think I'll leave a few now

Edited by Qua17 2017-01-16 2:49 PM
2017-01-16 2:40 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Juan, meeting for a run and/or drink would be amazing! It would be around the 1st full weekend/2nd week in May (the vball camp I am going to in Italy is the first week in May). Once I know how long we will be there and what my friend has planned I will definitely let you know. And I'm sure we will appreciate any suggestions! She knows some people there (I think her wife used to play soccer with them? or she played vball with them? but I may be making that up), so I'm kind of along for the ride, but once it gets closer will likely try to plan a bit more. I will keep you posted!
2017-01-16 2:45 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I had an MRI on my lumbar spine last week and  met with my spine surgeon this morning.  We reviewed the results and I've got a bunch of stuff going on from L3 down to S1, but the worst stuff is a herniated disc at L4/L5 and a pretty big bulge at L5/S1, plus some disc degeneration from L3 down and some bone spurs here are there.  This has been going on for 5 years but we've seen additional issues show up since my last MRI back in April 2015.

So at least we know what we're up against.  I've tried all of the conservative treatments:  PT, rest, medication, injections, yoga, etc over the past several years and I've been somewhere between 90% (just some occasional soreness that could be managed) and 10% (like I am now, severe nerve pain).  I went through about two years from fall 2012 to fall 2014 where I had it really well managed and even ran about 700 miles in 2014, but it's been going downhill since.

There are two surgical options and my spine doc spent a long time talking to me today about them:  lumbar decompression, and then lumbar decompression with fusion.  He said I'm about smack in the middle between the two as to what he would recommend, and he could make an intelligent argument for either. 

After careful consideration (I've been researching this stuff for months...) we're going to go with the more conservative "nip and tuck" decompression vs the "rip the spine out" fusion surgery, even though long-term the fusion might provide the best results.  The recovery is considerably easier from the first one, and if it doesn't work we can always do the fusion down the road if I can tolerate (mentally) an additional surgery.  He really went back and forth on what to recommend, and eventually landed on what he would do himself (we have pretty similar age/activity/health profiles).

Doc thinks I should see significant relief from the nerve pain, but I'll still have some of the soreness that presents from the "bone on bone" problems.  Those are much more easily treated conservatively (and tolerated, for that matter, from my perspective).

Surgery is two-level disc decompression.  It's an outpatient surgery (hell, aren't they all now LOL?).  I'll come home the same day with reduced activity for the first month until all the surgery inflammation dies down, the sutures heal, etc.. I'm taking a couple of days off work but it shouldn't be an issue since I work from home.  I think I'll be able to cycle pretty quickly and swim pretty soon, too.  Running will probably depend on how well the surgery goes, but probably like 3 months and a slow build up.

Surgery is the 25th.  I'm actually looking forward to it. 

Wow!! Glad to hear you have a plan and hoping it goes well!

x2! Definitely keep us posted!
2017-01-16 2:55 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
You guys have been super active on here! Nice work! Took me awhile to catch up.

Welcome to all the returners and newbies alike!

I have not done much to work out the last week. TBH, I was a little freaked out even though the doctor told me it would be fine. Also, it was a convenient excuse...

Now I have a huge grant due on Wednesday that has most of my attention, but I should be able to start getting back to the gym and out to run. My eyesight is crystal clear and I am out of excuses! I'm going to try to make a 5pm boot camp this afternoon, then tomorrow do bodypump or the sprint (HIIT cycling) class tomorrow. Or maybe both!

I'm also going to go to the grocery store tonight and meal prep after the gym. Back at it!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 39154 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.