of 5

2006-11-17 12:40 AM
in reply to: #601856

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: RE: Crowded gyms
madkat - 2006-11-16 11:51 PM

Has anyone else noticed that no matter how few other people there may be in a gym locker room with you at any given time, invariably, one of them will occupy the locker next to yours? Someone needs to commission a study on this. Seriously.

YES! I thought it was just me. I swear no matter what time I go in there, if I pick a locker in an empty-ish spot of the locker room, when I come back after my workout there will be three people in that general area..

this one is logical to me.   When you arrive, and there are all kinds of people in one area, it is because they are leaving.   So, you find a place comfortably far from them, dump your stuff, and go work out.   that is what the person that came in 5, 10, and 15 minutes before and after you did.  So, when you are finished, you meet them - in your same general area as far from the people who left when you were coming in were....   so. to avoid this, take a locker NEARISH as you can stand to the people who are leaving, and when you leave, you are on your own....

2006-11-17 1:00 AM
in reply to: #601705

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA

RJSuperfreaky - 2006-11-16 5:32 PM  / - Cellphone conversations on the cardio equipment. Listen, lady, I'm sure that the gossip you're sharing is truly earth-shaking, if I actually gave a rat's @$$ about anyone involved. Newsflash: I don't. 

D'oh I was just venting about the cellphone at the gym issue over in COJ a few days ago.  Heh!  

2006-11-17 4:36 AM
in reply to: #601679

Extreme Veteran

I find most of the things listed here a sligh irritant but what really winds me up is:

1) I've never seen a member of staff approach someone clearly using a machine wrong - either appalling technique or too heavy weights - and give out some advice.  Most of the time these people are really putting some effort in but because no one's told them / reminded them how to do it properly they're getting nothing out of it.

2) Gym etiquete is rarely published within the gym - it would be so easy to stick a laminate up to combat some of the issues mentioned here but the gyms just let the behaviour stagnate and eventually get normalised to everyone's detriment.

2006-11-17 6:01 AM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

- People who rent yearly lockers when they are available January 1st (in other words, New Year's Resolution crowd) and then never use them or come back to the gym, thus keeping others from being allowed to use the locker all year.

- The chatty women that have to YELL the entire time to be heard over the hairdryers and showers.

My mom and I were invaded by a water walker one time in the pool. I took my mom up to the community pool to re-introduce her to swimming (she hadn't done lap swimming in years). We were doing some Total Immersion drills, and since it was the two of us, we were being nice and sharing a lane. While swimming we almost have a head-on collison with a walker that just jumped in our lane and started walking! And here's the killer...she was walking with her friends, that were in the next lane over! Hello?! Why not use the walking lane with your buddies?!?! I told her we were swimming, but she didn't get it and kept on walking (down the center, of course). Thankfully the lifeguard came over and told her to move out of our lane, as we were swimming and she was walking.

2006-11-17 7:16 AM
in reply to: #601703

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA

GulfCoastSwimmer - 2006-11-16 7:26 PM 1. Going ot the gym to work out and being approached by guys who want to "give me hints" as to how to lift. What part of "I have headphones in" do you not understand?

that is when it's nice to have the biggest guy in the gym with the crazy 'jimmy eye' befriend you!  i had just that guy at my old gym that would spot me, keep me in line doing squats and lunges and having what he called 'brotherly chats' with the fellows that bothered me.  it was great!

now i have no worries in that department.  i get no notice from the college guys at my new gym.

2006-11-17 7:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, MO
I have a few things to add but first I will explain my gym situation. There are 2 locations for the gym I attend in my town. There is the north location that is right by my work and there is the south location. There are things that annoy me about each of them.

North
- The Mens locker room is pretty much open to the world. Thats right, no door, no dividing wall, just open. It is down a little hallway and you have to turn the corner to go into it, but it is also in the same hallway as the spin class. The door locker room is about 8 feet past the spin class door. The other day I was bare-@$$ed and the female director of the gym walked past the locker room to get to a supply closet. Just a little bothersome
- Fox News on every TV. There are like 5 TVs and there are people spread out throughout the gym but they all are watching that same thing..... argh
- Old equipment... This location gets the hand-me-downs from the south location. Yesterday I did a spin class and out of the 20 bikes that are in there, 6 were broken
- people who read magazines while on the recumbant bikes. They are just sitting, relaxing and barely doing anything. I dont know why they annoy me, but they do.

South
- This is the more affluent part of town and it shows in the members of this gym.
- At this location are the steroid taking meat heads that groan and grunt and yell. Wow that is annoying
- Overly peppy female personal trainers and various gym workers. The person who sold me the membership had to be the single most annoying person I have every met. She kept forgetting my wifes name and just kept calling her "my sweety"
- Personal trainers that dont know anything. With my membership, I got 1 free session with a personal trainer. I told him my goals and showed him my training plan and he, first of all, had no idea what a sprint triathlon was, and secondly started me out on a stupid tread climber machine after I told him that I was perfectly capable of running. ARRGGHHH!
- At this location you have your fair shair of the cell phone talkers. Just leave the dang thing in the locker room.
- Girls (mostly) that are just there to hook up. I am running my off on the treadmill or on the spin bike and and I watch them jog on the treadmill for about 2 minutes then wife off with a towel (they hadnt even sweat yet). Then they flirt with the guys at the weight benches for 5 minutes then they go to the stairclimber and do that for 2 minutes, towel off again, flirt again and then they are done. Their entire workout, takes less than half the time as mine and I am working my butt off.
- The last one, and this is the worst one people who are faster than me in the pool I just suck at swimming. I am lucky that usually when I go the pool is empty but if there is anyone else there, I always get smoked cause I am really slow.

Josh

2006-11-17 7:50 AM
in reply to: #601775

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
rkreuser - 2006-11-16 9:10 PM

Join Lifetime Fitness, if you've got one.  The crowding issues, waiting for machines or lanes, etc, are nonexistent, seriously. 

This cracked me up becuase it reminded me of the thread I started about my Lifetime having valet parking in January.  That thread turned into a "bash the NYEve Resolutionists" party.  I hope we have less of that this year.  Having been through a full year of this healthier lifestyle I've come to realize that if the only people who belonged to the gym were the people who worked out as consistently and as courteously as most of us my gym would be smaller than my house.  If those people want to invade for two months and finance the place for me for the rest of the year then more power to them.  And  hopefully every year a few more of them will stick because the more healthy people around the better it is for all of us. 

Just enter the Crummy Weather Challenge and you won't be needing the gym so much!

2006-11-17 8:09 AM

User image

Veteran
jacksonville, FL
Yeah I recently switched from the YMCA to Peak Fitness. YMCA was so bad there were so many kids, people would just screw around. Then on occasion I wold be taken out by a basketball player tryingt o cross the track or rather I would take him out (good tip: throw your shoulder into it) but then thatw oudl almost always start a fight. Even though there are huge signs saying yield to runners all over not signs that says tand in the middle of the track and talk with your firends while bouncing a basketball.......yeah I do not miss the Y lol. On the other hand if you need a good place Peak Fitness is very nice place it is 24 hours and has lots of machines even during very busy hours there is always a machine open. Also inthe fre weight/machine area it is mostly body builders who lift for a living so they are all nice when it comes working in and not sitting there doing nothing.

Yeah is always nice to rant and rave a little mant eh Y always made me so mad...

Have a good friday!

Edited by m1sh4p 2006-11-17 8:09 AM
2006-11-17 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA

RJSuperfreaky - 2006-11-16 8:32 PM I have a few more to add: - Water aerobics: I still fail to see how you can justify taking up all 5 lanes of the pool, and not share with people who actually (oh, I don't know) SWIM in the pool.

[rant] Oh, man, I hate the water aerobics classes! I'm glad it's not just me. I swim at one of the indoor county park's pools and they have classes there 2 nights a week. During the summer, the only time they had evening swim hours were on the same nights as the aerobics classes. It drove me crazy! They take up over half the pool, there are only 3 lanes set up but on some nights there were 15-20 people there to swim, seriously. When they did the shallow aerobics there'd be people in the 3 lanes and then tons of people just swimming in the deep end (hard to swim laps when there are 10 people around you who don't know the etiquette of swimming STRAIGHT.) Then when the deep water class started, everyone had to switch to the shallow side. It was so annoying. [/rant]

Honestly, I get it, they pay almost as much for 12 weeks of classes as I do for an entire year of membership so the park's priorities are not necessarily the swimmers. When my membership expires in March of next year I will probably take my swimming elsewhere. And it's probably good for the people who take these classes because some most of the people probably couldn't do any kind of weight bearing exercise, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

2006-11-17 8:26 AM
in reply to: #601941

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

- At this location you have your fair shair of the cell phone talkers. Just leave the dang thing in the locker room.
- Girls (mostly) that are just there to hook up. I am running my off on the treadmill or on the spin bike and and I watch them jog on the treadmill for about 2 minutes then wife off with a towel (they hadnt even sweat yet). Then they flirt with the guys at the weight benches for 5 minutes then they go to the stairclimber and do that for 2 minutes, towel off again, flirt again and then they are done. Their entire workout, takes less than half the time as mine and I am working my butt off.
- The last one, and this is the worst one people who are faster than me in the pool I just suck at swimming. I am lucky that usually when I go the pool is empty but if there is anyone else there, I always get smoked cause I am really slow.

Josh

Well at a Y by my house you are not allowed to have a cell phone on except in the lobby. I really think its a good practice. I hate people who are on a cell phone during a marathon. Yes I seen people call people up and they are like "hey want you doing? me nothing just running a marathon."

now I know what girls I can talk to and what girls are there to work.

Yeah I hate those people who can actually swim. They really make us slow pokes look bad.

hangloose - 2006-11-17 7:50 AM

And hopefully every year a few more of them will stick because the more healthy people around the better it is for all of us.

Well I agree. Working out can be alot like smoking. You want to quit but it usually takes 3 or 4 times to actually quit. Does not mean it can not be frustrating though before the people who quit, quit.

2006-11-17 8:29 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I don't have much to add, except about the water walking thing. I bet if you look closely, most of these ladies are overweight (sometimes obese), or elderly. Those are two groups of people in which water excercises are probably the only thing approved by their doctor, so I wouldn't knock too hard on them. It has annoyed me too, at times, but that's part of going to a gym pool.

My 75 year old grandma really got into it last year and it's allowed her to exercise more than she has in the past 20-30 years. She always says "I' so slow, and I'm sure I look stupid, but I feel so good afterwards." I'm sure most of us have felt this way at some point in our lives. My mom's doc also recommends it because of her osteoporosis... you just never know.

2006-11-17 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Mobile, Alabama
/rant begin/
No offense, but what kind of workout IS water aerobics, anyway? Has anyone ever actually lost weight doing it? Logic would tell us that if water aerobics were a great workout, then the people who do it would be very fit. Yet tell me honestly, has anyone ever seen someone in those classes who was in great shape? Reasonable shape? Personally, I haven't. I have had to wait for hours for those classes to finish, and all I see happening is a little bit of stretching and a lot of counting to ten.
Oh, and don't give me the old "My joints are too fragile to do regular aerobic work" excuse. Swimming is low-impact, and a heck of a lot better workout, even doing breast stroke. Why not use the class time to teach people to swim, rather than monopolize the pool for a pseudo-workout that accomplishes nothing?
/rant end/

I don't have anything against these people wanting to stay in shape/feel better. That being said, they don't need half of the lanes for a class of 5 people. And furthermore, my pool tried to shut down the rest of the lanes while they had class so they did not get "splashed". I mean, seriously, is this necessary, you are IN A POOL!!!!
2006-11-17 8:57 AM

User image

Regular
Atlanta, GA
I try not to pass judgment on the water walkers because invariably they are at least very overweight or old, but usually both. So as I noted, I have conflicting feelings about them...I'm thrilled they are trying to improve their fitness but they get in my way because it's almost impossible to share lanes with them. I give them a pass because they are the least annoying people in the gym. My grandma, who is 91, has been doing water aerobics and walking for over 20 years, so I always try to imagine it's her in the pool with me. Old people are usually pretty lonely anyway.

I would love it if they would keep cellphones out of all workout areas in the gym. Those bluetooth earpieces have become a real scourge of the cardio sections.
2006-11-17 9:02 AM

User image

Master
New York
-My rant is about the guy who shows up at the same time as I do, swims about half again as slow, yet flails like mad trying to keep up with me. Tons of splashing, huge waves being thrown up, and then when we eventually are stopped at the same time he looks over angrily as though he's pissed at me for being able to swim faster than he can. Awesome.

-Also gotta love the guy that in a shower room of 8 showers (4 on each wall) who chooses the one right next to me, with 7 to choose from. Hate that!
2006-11-17 9:06 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Adam P 2006-11-17 9:07 AM
2006-11-17 9:09 AM

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
As far as the water walkers go, that is an administrative issue. There should be times and lanes scheduled for both "open pool" and "lap lanes". If they're in a lap lane at a lap lane time, ask them to move, since it's not your fault they can't read a schedule. If not, you took your life into your own hands going to "open pool", which at my pool is full of flailers and toddlers with shifty looks and defective swimmy diapers.

I'm kind of annoyed at the assumption here that any workout that doesn't get you thin is "worthless", as it contradicts reams of research and seems, to be honest, a little snotty.

Of course, I've gotten quite mellow about the gym since I joined one that has cardio theater with cable. If I can watch the Food Network for an hour straight, I don't care what's going on anywhere else.

2006-11-17 9:40 AM

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Aaah, yes.  The old "why I hate the gym and the weird stuff people in the locker rooms" thread.  Think about it this way: its absolutely priceless people watching (though I really don't care to see the old guy dry his balls with the blow dryer...

Yesterday it was the 20something woman on the elliptical trainer talking on her cell phone about some guy issue and absolutely SOBBING.  WTF?!?!

2006-11-17 9:43 AM

Regular
Mill Valley
People who can't keep their eyes off of your treadmill screen - this is after they forgo all of the open machines to take the one directly next to you - sucking what little air there is.

For example, they see you are running 8.0 so they bump theirs to 8.1. You know that there is simply no way they will last at this pace, but if they want to play, so be it.

Perhaps some of you do this too.

When this happens, I throw out my plan and the session becomes a tempo run to CRUSH them. It's like a passive aggressive race that they have no clue about.

I have been known to run till I drop just so long as I'm not the first one to stop...

After the first 10 minutes or so, they often figure out what's going on and either attempt to continue or quit to go read their magazine on the recumbent bike.

-willy
2006-11-17 9:52 AM
in reply to: #602070

Extreme Veteran

willy - 2006-11-17 3:43 PM People who can't keep their eyes off of your treadmill screen - this is after they forgo all of the open machines to take the one directly next to you - sucking what little air there is. For example, they see you are running 8.0 so they bump theirs to 8.1. You know that there is simply no way they will last at this pace, but if they want to play, so be it. Perhaps some of you do this too. When this happens, I throw out my plan and the session becomes a tempo run to CRUSH them. It's like a passive aggressive race that they have no clue about. I have been known to run till I drop just so long as I'm not the first one to stop... After the first 10 minutes or so, they often figure out what's going on and either attempt to continue or quit to go read their magazine on the recumbent bike. -willy

This reminds of very silly gym sessions I had with a mate of mine when we were in our early twenties (we were highly competitive) - we ran on machines next to each other and controlled each others speed.  First one to hit the emergency button lost.

I'm not recommending it or condoning it - very stupid thing to do but at the time it was fantastic fun.  He was quick and I had better endurance so it was always quite a good battle - if I could get through the initial sprint phase I'd usually win but he occassionally broke me by sprinting flat out.  I'd try and reign him in by upping the slope (you had to go at the same speed and incline as each other)

2006-11-17 9:52 AM
in reply to: #602070

Extreme Veteran

woops - I 'double tapped' submit.  However, you can now check out the view from my office in the avatar.  Rainy days in London..

Edited by Cando 2006-11-17 9:53 AM
2006-11-17 9:58 AM
in reply to: #602065

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Matchman - 2006-11-17 10:40 AM

Think about it this way: its absolutely priceless people watching (though I really don't care to see the old guy dry his balls with the blow dryer...

Dude. That's hysterical.

2006-11-17 10:17 AM
in reply to: #602012

Master
San Mateo, CA

Adam P - 2006-11-17 7:06 AM God, and I was starting to feel a bit bad for getting p*&#ed at these people. My personal hate is the group of five-six guys in our weights room who take consecutive turns on five-six pieces of kit so preventing anyone else being about to do a work out with one hour. Grrrr....

Or, in not so crowded gyms there's always the guy who is using the rack for squats and between sets he plops down on the hamstring curl machine that I want to use.   I'm guessing it's too much trouble for him to just stand-up between sets nearest the squat area.

2006-11-17 10:26 AM

Champion
Matchman - 2006-11-17 10:40 AM

(though I really don't care to see the old guy dry his balls with the blow dryer...

Hey!  I stopped doing that after you bugged me about it last year! 

2006-11-17 10:26 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
Matchman - 2006-11-17 9:40 AM

Aaah, yes.  The old "why I hate the gym and the weird stuff people in the locker rooms" thread.  Think about it this way: its absolutely priceless people watching (though I really don't care to see the old guy dry his balls with the blow dryer...

Another reason I'm glad I'm bald.

I try to avoid the gym as much as possible. Most of what has been said here I have experienced. But as said above, its great people watching. Here are my favorites.

• The person that cranks up the treadmill (incline or speed) then uses the handrails to take the weight off of their legs.
  • The guy that gets on the treadmill next to me, tries to match (or beat my speed) then quits after five minutes (usually to the elliptical or recumbant bike)
  • The person on the recumbant bike reading and has a cadence of about 5rpm
  • The skinny guy in the free weight area that lifts the 50lb dumbells to do curls and has to use his entire body to get the weight to move.
  • The hairy gorilla in the locker room that uses a hair dryer to dry himself (yes balls included)
  • The large girl that is too embarrased to be seen in public in a bathing suit that has decided to do water aerobics and wants to be in the back of the class; therefore she jumps into the "lap" lane, while I am finishing up my 1600meters (I so wanted to smack her)
  • The PT that takes more interest in the cute girl on the next machine, then in the client he is supposed to be working with.

2006-11-17 11:04 AM
in reply to: #602122

Master
San Mateo, CA
MarkQuiet - 2006-11-17 8:26 AM

The PT that takes more interest in the cute girl on the next machine, then in the client he is supposed to be working with.

This is an epedemic at my gym.  Not sure how the PTs stay in biz, considering they seem to care less about training their clients. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crowded gyms Rss Feed  

of 5