Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2006-11-16 6:54 PM

User image

Regular
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Crowded gyms
DRIVE ME CRAZY.

I'm thrilled that there are people who go to my gym in order to improve their fitness. And 95% of the people that work out alongside me are great. But sometimes going to the gym and hoping for a good workout ends up driving me bonkers.

Examples:

- people who use the pool at 5pm to "water walk" and are so big that it's logistically impossible to share a lane with them if I'm doing laps

- my gym's horrible policy of 20 minutes on the cardio machines if there are "people waiting"

- people who use the cardio at peak hours and honestly don't look like they are putting forth any effort at all.

- people who don't share weight machines

- people who go to the gym at peak hours to try to hook up

- people who camp out on the most popular free weight areas and won't leave (i.e. the flat bench, leg press, etc.)

- people who load up the bench press with 450 lbs and don't re-rack when they're done.

- people who hover over me when I'm using equipment and act rude about it

- people who sweat like pigs (me) and never wipe down equipment after usage

- showing up to work out and the pool is broken (happened TWICE last month)

- that janitor who likes to clean the pool when I'm 500m in on a 2500m swim

I must be an awful person to let out such a rant. But somehow, I know I'm not alone.

2006-11-16 7:08 PM
in reply to: #601679

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Crowded gyms

The examples you cited as well as many others are precisely why I don't go to the gym any more. I was a gym rat for years but got sick and tired of the people there.

I don't want to rub salt in your wound but its only going to get worse in a couple months when the New Year Resolution crowd invades.

2006-11-16 7:12 PM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Let me add mine:

1) There is circuit of weights numbered 1-10 and I hate when people just jump in without any concern that people are doing it in order

2) The 20 minute limit when there is nobody in the gym!

3) The signs saying 5 more days until the super sale ends and then seeing those same signs 10 days later.

4) People who want to share my weight machine when the gym is empty and there are 2 others exactly like it next to me

5) People who could care less to rack weights or put the 20 pound dumbells back in the 20 pound spot and cause the entire dumbell stack to be completely out of order.

6) Guys who have to keep checking themselves out in the mirror and flexing their muscles.

Ah, that felt better.
2006-11-16 7:17 PM

User image

Regular
Atlanta, GA
actually, I gave up on my gym rat lifestyle almost a decade ago and became a runner instead. But this triathlon habit I have has forced me to do the gym thing. And maybe I'd just forgotten how annoying it can be.

I'm one of the lucky ones--I'm a fulltime stay-at-home dad who typically doesn't have to face the 6am crowds or the 6pm crowds. But shockingly, there are STILL people who drive me crazy at 10am or 2pm. Seriously, the water walkers are driving me bananas.

I'm trying to cope with the negative feelings that I have...we're not at the rage level here, but I feel guilty because on one hand, at least these people who annoy me are trying to improve their fitness.

It's just that when you are trying like crazy to squeeze a workout in (and with three kids, it's amazingly hard to get in workouts), it really sucks to go to the gym and then have a bad experience due to something that isn't even related to your workout!
2006-11-16 7:18 PM

User image

Regular
Atlanta, GA
and believe me, I'm positively DREADING January.
2006-11-16 7:26 PM

User image

Expert
1. Going ot the gym to work out and being approached by guys who want to "give me hints" as to how to lift. What part of "I have headphones in" do you not understand?

2006-11-16 7:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Lexington, KY
I totally agree. Furthermore, because I too live in Atlanta, I would almost bet that we go to the same gym (or at least the same chain). I also appreciate anyone willing to adopt a healthier lifestyle, but I share many of your gripes.

I have a few more to add:

- Water aerobics: I still fail to see how you can justify taking up all 5 lanes of the pool, and not share with people who actually (oh, I don't know) SWIM in the pool.

/rant begin/
No offense, but what kind of workout IS water aerobics, anyway? Has anyone ever actually lost weight doing it? Logic would tell us that if water aerobics were a great workout, then the people who do it would be very fit. Yet tell me honestly, has anyone ever seen someone in those classes who was in great shape? Reasonable shape? Personally, I haven't. I have had to wait for hours for those classes to finish, and all I see happening is a little bit of stretching and a lot of counting to ten.
Oh, and don't give me the old "My joints are too fragile to do regular aerobic work" excuse. Swimming is low-impact, and a heck of a lot better workout, even doing breast stroke. Why not use the class time to teach people to swim, rather than monopolize the pool for a pseudo-workout that accomplishes nothing?
/rant end/

- Cellphone conversations on the cardio equipment. Listen, lady, I'm sure that the gossip you're sharing is truly earth-shaking, if I actually gave a rat's @$$ about anyone involved. Newsflash: I don't.

- The stealth sweatshirt- The real demon of the "20 minute time limit" cardio rule. This person (usually female it seems), will nag you when you reach 20:01 on your run to get off the treadmill. She will then start her "walk" by taking off her sweatshirt and COVERING THE TIME INDICATOR SO SHE CAN WALK FOR 60 MINUTES without anyone nagging her. If you wish to benefit from the 20 minute rule, you must also live by the 20 minute rule.

More to come, if I don't calm down soon...
2006-11-16 7:46 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
If you have any space at all in a basement or garage, I would highly encourage you to buy a squat rack and an Olympic set. If you shop around you can get both for around $500. It'll pay for itself in around 2 years.

It won't solve your pool problem.

The pool. I live in a subdivision so in the summer I swim in our subdivision's pool. It's 25m long, and fairly wide. I'm a quasi-stay at home dad which means I work from home. But my hours are flexible and I can come and go as I please (generally). I once went at 10am. One other old lady in there. I realize the term "old lady" is not politically correct, but that's what I'm after. I was clearly, clearly doing laps. I was way over near the wall practically hitting the wall to make sure I was out of anyone's way. She insisted on water walking across the width and kept getting in my way. This lady had almost the entire freakin' pool to herself, and she kept getting in my way.
2006-11-16 7:53 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Just to show I'm not "anti-old people," during the winter I swim at our communiry rec center, which actually has lanes and all that. Again, I go during off peak hours when the only the elderly or single parents with kids are there. Not only are these folks friendly, they know the importance of sharing a lane.

My wife is also into doing tris (she actually got me involved) and on those rare times when we can go to the rec center pool together, we always make sure to grab a lane together. This way, if I feel a hand grab my I know it's not some creepy guy looking for a date. Not that there's anything wrong with that - I just don't roll that way. I make sure to annoy her once in a while just so she doesn't forget what sharing a lane is like with a stranger.
2006-11-16 8:23 PM

User image

Master
Portland, ME

You are not alone....I have had many of the same experiences you have at some of the gyms I belonged to.

If you can swing it, join a private club.

I have never had to share a pool lane and 95% of the time I have the indoor pool to myself. Last week there were actually 2 guys doing laps when I showed up but one left as soon as I got in and the other guy mentioned to me "how busy it was and he's never seen 3 guys do laps at once".

I never have waited for a cardio machine, flat bench, dumb bell, spinner, or squat rack and often have the entire gym to myself (especially in the summer). Which is great cause if I forget my ipod, I control the stereo and the TV's.

I'm in gym Nirvana.

2006-11-16 8:39 PM
in reply to: #601701

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI

thewiseacre - 2006-11-16 7:18 PM and believe me, I'm positively DREADING January.

Look at it this way. Many of the January people will not be at the gym in March, but will still be paying their membership dues. This make it cheaper for us that use the gym all year long.

There were 7 different people who used the treadmill next to me tonight while I was running. The average distance they went must have been less than a mile.  Oh well, they have to start somewhere.

2006-11-16 8:46 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

On the plus side, all those "New Years Resolution" people will be gone by February. Late January if the weather turns especially bad.

Here are a few others to add:

The guy/girl who brings ALL their stuff with them onto the gym floor (duffel bag, sweatshirt, water bottle, towel, ipod, cell phone, etc.) and leaves them all over the place while they're working on a machine.

People who have the incline on the treadmill set at the maximum, but are holding on to the rails for dear life.

The person who had no idea how to use a machine but who insists on doing multiple sets

The overprotective guy who's working out with his girlfriend and who gets twitchy and combative if you try to work in.

The personal trainer who stands there and allows someone to do something that's potentially injurious right in front of them, but who won't say anything, because the person's not a client.

The guy who does standing dumbell or barbell exercises right next to you, while you're lying on a bench, so his dumbbells are whistling past your face while you're trying to finish your set.

2006-11-16 9:07 PM

Champion

I'm going to hell for sure for this one:  The blind guy that used to show up and always picked the treadmill next to mine to walk on.  Then he'd proceed to ask me, "How about those Red Sox...boy it's raining cats and dogs today...how are you doing over there, training for something..." ad nauseum.

Turned up the MP3 player and ignored him.  Yup, I'm choosing my seat already.

2006-11-16 9:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
The crowded gym doesn't bother me nearly as much as a crowded locker room. And I can't understand how everyone can just casually walk around in all their glory without a hint of modesty. Today at my gym I was showering after my swim and there's are all these ungroomed women just standing around butt-A@$ naked chit chatting away. How about a towel people!
2006-11-16 9:10 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Join Lifetime Fitness, if you've got one.  The crowding issues, waiting for machines or lanes, etc, are nonexistent, seriously. 

The locker room 'comaraderie', however, still may be part of the equation.  I don't know how you eradicate that bad behavior.   Now if we could just find a way to groom all Gina's friends....

2006-11-16 9:22 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
...and another thing:

Has anyone else noticed that no matter how few other people there may be in a gym locker room with you at any given time, invariably, one of them will occupy the locker next to yours? Someone needs to commission a study on this. Seriously.

And I'm with ya about the whole modesty thing. If want first-hand evidence of the effects of gravity, I'll go look at a waterfall.

2006-11-16 9:32 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
You forgot the guy who only does curls in the squat rack.
2006-11-16 10:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

i almost agree... just cut out the point of the water walkers... i mean come on... not everyone has the fitness or health to run outside... especially when they're THAT big - they're doing something about it!! no offense - but cuz of people like you i was too scared to go to a public pool or gym for many many years of my life! so give them some credit... they gotta start some time!!

but i gotta add 2. points:
1. old geezers that will kick and punch you when you pass them cuz they're mad that you're 50-60 yrs younger and faster than them!!

2. people who want to have their own lane and won't share it for nothing and just swim into you, hit you in the face and then even yell and ***** at you..

2006-11-16 10:35 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well if someone askes to share a lane I always say yes but I am the guy who swim zig zags and I warn the people of this. They usually avoid me once they seem me take 1 lap.

I too hate the people who raise the treadmill all the way up and hang on. Does that really get you into better shape?

well my friend water walks but she been out from running for about 14 months and its the only thing she can do. Frankly though she can share a lane since well she is a runner.

you can hook up with people at the gym? Wow better try that one now.

I saw a girl who was on a machine would read a page in a magazine do 1 rep then read another page.

I swear though only 1 other person in the locker section and it always has to be the guy next to you.

Lifetime fitness has been great to me though. I pay a little more than I was paying at the Y but I can actually go there at 5 pm and even now get a lane to myself. One I go to is not that busy. Alot of cardio and weights. only thing I do not like is no indoor track. Nothing like a 13 mile run on a 1/10 mile track.

yeah January suicks for the gym but remember all those people who pay joiner fees and 3 months when they only use 1 month are keeping in theory your costs lower.

What I hate though are people who like to go into the hot tub or sauana and then like to use the lap pool as cool down area. One guy does it in his street clothes all the time. That is so gross.
2006-11-16 10:54 PM

User image

Master

2x this week I was the only person in the locker room only to find out as soon as I started changing that the next person to walk in had the locker right next to mine.

My BIG rant for the wee though is scary naked guy... I usually work out before work so I run or whatever then go the the locker room take my shirt off, go to the sink (while still wearing shorts) and shave, then take all my stuff back to my locker, drop the shorts and shower. So yesterday I'm shaving and this guy walks up to the sink RIGHT NEXT TO ME when there are at least 7 others not in use to shave... but this nut job lost the shorts and kept the shirt????? What the hell is the point of that? I can see not wanting to get shaving cream all over a nice dri-fit shirt or whatever but who really needs to loose their britches to shave their face???

2006-11-16 10:59 PM
in reply to: #601829

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
yeah lifetime fitness has a sign please wear a towel at the sinks and people seem to listen.

The worse I ever had I was sitting down and a former school teacher of mine was chaning next to me. He put his leg on the bench and I swear his thing was right in my face. lucky for me I was able to looko away from it. He used to creep out the boys in drivers ed and frankly that really creeped me out.

2006-11-16 11:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountain View, CA

I will agree with the Lifetime Fitness love. I've never had to wait for anything or share a lane at the pool with anyone. I think anyone who shared a lane with me would probably get inadvertently hurt though - I don't swim straight nor can I see anything in the pool (and I lose depth perception) without my glasses.

I still do have a few minor issues though:

- the guys who get on the treadmill next to me (even though there are tons of open ones) and make weird exertion grunting sounds for the duration of their runs. normally these guys also smell a little weird. they are always guys.

- girls who apply and reapply makeup on cardio equipment (seriously, you ask? seriously!).

Edited by sistinas 2006-11-16 11:15 PM
2006-11-16 11:51 PM
in reply to: #601777

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

Has anyone else noticed that no matter how few other people there may be in a gym locker room with you at any given time, invariably, one of them will occupy the locker next to yours? Someone needs to commission a study on this. Seriously.

YES! I thought it was just me. I swear no matter what time I go in there, if I pick a locker in an empty-ish spot of the locker room, when I come back after my workout there will be three people in that general area.

And one will have all her stuff spread out all over the bench, so that the rest of us have to stand on one foot to take off our shoes and socks.

I don't mind most things I see at the gym. To be honest, I probably don't even notice when other people do it, and I'm just as likely to be guilty of some of them myself. But the locker room bench hogs really get my goat. STUFF doesn't need to go on a bench. Put your dang bag on the floor, so someone can sit down to tie their shoes.

I will agree with the Lifetime Fitness love.

I've never been to one of their gyms, but I love their magazine "Experience Life".  That's my all-time favorite magazine. 

Edited by madkat 2006-11-16 11:55 PM
2006-11-17 12:04 AM
in reply to: #601845

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
sistinas - 2006-11-16 11:14 PM

p>- girls who apply and reapply makeup on cardio equipment (seriously, you ask? seriously!).

Ok that I have never seen, that's just pathetic.

I looked up Lifetime Fitness that seems to be popular on the thread, none are in Cali. Oh well.
2006-11-17 12:26 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I go to Lifetime after work at 130AM. The place is like a ghost town in the pool and the gym. However, that "walking around naked" guy is almost always there in the locker room. I thought it was just my imagination.....hearing from you guys, it seems that it isn't my imagination.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crowded gyms Rss Feed  

of 5