Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2006-12-22 5:37 PM
in reply to: #601679

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
Subject: RE: Crowded gyms

I go in the early AM to avoid most of the meat market thing thankfully.  However three things that I notice and HATE!!

1.  the janitor that rather than cleaning or reracking weight or doing work walks around and hits on all of the women in the gym.

2.  When a hot girls goes over by the DB, every meathead comes over and starts doing curls.  I am a big guy that can throw some weight around but it is like being taken over by a bunch of mini Arnolds.  One time I even loudly asked "do you guys think you could be any more pathetically obvious?"  They were not happy about that, but hey, the girl laughed.

3.  People that have no clue what they are doing when lifting.  This can include to people that try to use too much weight and and use every muscle in their body to perform a rep rather than lightening the load and doing the lift correctly, or the people that use extremely light weights and do a few reps.  I mean why even bother?

2006-12-22 6:16 PM

Having a guy 3 time my age pick the locker next to mine, then strip down.
HOLY HORSESH!T!! Their must 150 lockers in the whole room so you decide to naked next to a 16 yo boy!?
creepy....
2006-12-22 6:28 PM
in reply to: #632088

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
BANNED - 2006-12-22 6:16 PM

Having a guy 3 time my age pick the locker next to mine, then strip down.
HOLY HORSESH!T!! Their must 150 lockers in the whole room so you decide to naked next to a 16 yo boy!?
creepy....

You know the gym rule whenever you get to your locker some guy has to come back and his locker has to be right next to yours. Just seems to be the rules.
2006-12-22 7:08 PM

It wouldnt bother me if he came back to his locker, its that he picks the locker.
2006-12-22 9:23 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

"Hmmmmm.  What's that intense and pungent odor coming from the spinbike area," I wondered to myself as I arrived at the YMCA this evening.

That, my friends, is what it smells like when a guy who just got off the basketball court decides to cool down by sloooooooooooowly pedaling a bike with no shoes on!

And why, you may be asking yourself, would a young man choose to pedal a spinbike in only his socks?  I wonderd the very same thing, as did one of the guy's pals, who asked him that very question.  Care to guess the answer?  (I'll give you a second.)

Answer:  So the clips and straps won't scratch his fancy basketball shoes.  The rest of the gym gets to inhale his foot-stink so he doesn't muss his LeBrons. Super.

2006-12-22 10:44 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Find another gym!

I love the gym I work out at.  Never have to wait for a machine.  The people are nice and considerate.  The dressing area is super nice, clean.  25 meter lap pool; indoor and out side. 

TJ

2006-12-22 10:56 PM
in reply to: #603233

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
bootygirl - 2006-11-18 11:49 PM

My husband feels traumatized by American locker rooms.  He can't understand the nudity.   He is appalled and goes into this whole spheel about " they have these big bellies that hang down and hair on their butts  - all I can think is "good god, make it stop" and I get out of there as fast as I can"   It is pretty funny.

My first day swimming with Speedo Jammer, I was already self conscious enough about putting on Spandex, but new it was the "required uniform". As I am quickly trying to disengage from said Jammer after swim, and just as they get caught around my ankle, I am approached about the performance of jammer versus swim trunk..BY A NAKED MAN!!! Now here we are both completely naked, standing 2 feet apart talking about the quality of my speedo, which I am holding.  Who would EVER ask another man about Spandex, nevermind while you're BOTH naked!!!

2006-12-23 1:38 AM

User image

Master
Portland, OR

Wow...I feel very fortunate to have such a great gym.  Clean, not too crowded, limited meat  heads, non-smelly locker rooms, empty pool most of the time.

A few people made comments about some of the treadmill walkers/runners that raise the incline all the way and then hang on for dear life.  I just saw this a few weeks and ago and was all WTF??!!  I just saw another lady doing it earlier this week.  What is the point behind that kind of workout, does anyone know?  I watched her for her entire workout (like 35 min. or so) thinking she'd go down any minute... 

2006-12-23 2:22 AM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Who would EVER ask another man about Spandex, nevermind while you're BOTH naked!!!

I just added this to my signature. Classic.
2006-12-26 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Glad I found this thread -- I gotta rant.

1. I hate weight training, so I try to get it done quickly in a circuit. On this day I've done every exercises and just have the leg press yet to do. This guy's been on the machine forEVER. I've stood near the machine waiting through two sets and he still doesn't get up. I smile and ask him how many sets he has left, and he says three. I ask if I can please rotate in, and he gives me this face but then finally relents.

He was lifting 150 pounds. I lifted 275. (I'm a girl.) That felt good.

2. People who SING out loud to the songs they are listening to on their iPods. We can't hear it. We don't need to hear it. Shut up.

Edited by Offthegrid 2006-12-26 10:01 AM
2006-12-26 3:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Roswell, GA

I have one rant and one gym weirdo.  I HATE IT when people do not rack their weights.  Every Monday morning there are (light) weights on every bar and every piece of equipment.  The "Please rack your weights" sign is 5 feet tall!

A former employer had a gym in the building where 12 or so people worked out regularly in the morning.  It was very nice, with free towel service, free long-term lockers, and shampoo, soap, and lotion that was refilled nightly.  Unfortunately, one of the VPs of the company really liked to take advantage of the free lotion.  After showering, he would lather himself from his hairline to his toes!  Once you've seen a man covered in lotion it's hard to keep a straight face when you see him at work.

2006-12-26 7:52 PM

Expert
Fort Bragg
Rant Alert

Crossover from the Army Physical Training Thread.

Some units do physical training in the gym on occassion. You'll get a squad of 8 guys standing around a free bench watching two guys take turns lifting.

Then I go to the pool while a unit does "Pool PT." Sharing a lane with a doggy-paddler is not fun. The worst is that some don't get the hint that they can load up the end lanes and let the swimmers hang out in the middle. The concept of staying right during the swim is lost on them too. I've done a few head-on collisions.

I go to intervals and have walkers and joggers (I can't call them runners) in lane one. Then they look at you funny because you expect them to go to a slower (bigger #) lane.

Finally, doing intervals and finishing the workout faster than those who walk on the rest and jog on the work sets and then have someone ask you why you're done working out before everyone else...

Argh....
2006-12-27 11:33 AM
in reply to: #602301

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

These and others are precisely the reasons we made sure to have a room in our office building for a "Gym" of our own.  Most of the time I S/B/R in the great FL outdoors and use the YMCA pool & Spin Class as needed.

(OfficeGym3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
OfficeGym3.jpg (34KB - 24 downloads)
2006-12-27 2:35 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I probably have the least crowded gym EVER, but I have two rants....

1. Like many others have said...people who don't rerack their weights.  SPECIFICALLY, the 100 lbs plates on the leg press.  Seriously...some of us cannot LIFT 100 lbs of plate weight and set it down without damaging ourselves...there is NO need to leave it on the machine!  I have been trying for MONTHS to get the gym to straight up remove these from the floor so the inconsiderate people can't leave them on the machine.  No luck.

2. The pool is f'ing 85 degrees because the old people complain it's too cold.  I about near flipped when I got out one day with the reddest face EVER because I actually did a workout and the old lady FLOATING in the lane next to me says, "Don't you think this pool is SO COLD?"  I had to leave or I would have jumped back in and punched her.

Now, back to the crowded issue.  Sometimes when I travel I have to use other gyms and I realize how lucky I am to have a non-crowded gym.  Nothing sucks more than to have to add time to your workout because you're waiting for a machine.  I'm pretty good about jumping to a different machine...but sometimes you're out of other options and you really need THAT one and it seems like every time you go to use it...someone else has jumped in.   And I have found that much of the population seems to hate sharing lanes.  SO weird.  It isn't that big a deal.  I will admit that I hate circle swimming since none of the away pools I frequent have lane speeds set and I perpetually end up circle swimming with people of VASTLY different swim skills and THAT just gets annoying.  Anyway, now I am just thankful I don't have a crowded gym (unless you go at about a two hour block of the afternoon from 3-5).  The one pleasant thing about not living in a metroplex!

To the crowded gym peeps...it just might be time to search around for a different gym.  It sucks, but ease of use of a gym is the most important feature to me.  And "ease of use" includes both location AND how accessible the equipment is.  You might save time at the gym that is further away if you can do your workout uninterrupted...

Oh, and one last thing.  There is nothing wrong with walking around the locker room naked.  Seriously...it's a locker room.  It's for changing clothes.   You're going to be naked.  Nothing makes me laugh more than the "towel girls".  You know...the ones that so don't want anyone to see them naked that it takes them twice as long to get ready because they dance around trying to keep a towel clenched around them the whole time.  Like they have something none of us have ever seen before.

2006-12-27 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
Nothing wrong with walking around naked in a locker room...it's when the naked people try to have a face-to-face conversation that I get uneasy. Multitasking and getting dressed while talking doesn't involve eye contact, so that's even ok. None of this hands-on-hips, insisting I look at them stuff. Geesh!
2006-12-27 9:00 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Nothing makes me laugh more than the "towel girls". You know...the ones that so don't want anyone to see them naked that it takes them twice as long to get ready because they dance around trying to keep a towel clenched around them the whole time. Like they have something none of us have ever seen before.

I am proud to say that is me... and you would laugh at me.

Unfortunately, I am kind of modest and I don't like showing my crotch and boobs to the world. I'm not too keen on being naked in general... and I really don't want strangers seeing me naked in bright lights.

Yes, I'm insecure about my body... and I lack the self-confidence needed to be proud of my nakedness... so I do the towel dance... proudly.

So... if you ever wondered why people do the towel dance... that's why.

2006-12-28 9:39 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well true but not like the gym does much to help with it. They are no member caps at there gyms to say sorry but we have all the members we can handle. They want all the money they can get. If over crowding drives some of the newbies out they do not care. If it drove out all the regulars then they would.

also they should teach people how to use equipment more and at the same time teach proper ediquette. I bet most people who start the gym just do not know the rules as well as how to work out. Plus it takes awhile for noobs to learn that its know they do not have to reapply makeup after each rep. Problem is gyms want to make huge money on personal trainers and that is the dangers.

Then again there are so many things regulars should know like is ok to put pants on when you to go shave at the sink. Everyone could use some ediqutte lessons not just the new years crowd.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crowded gyms Rss Feed  

of 5