Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2006-12-19 9:04 PM
in reply to: #625415

User image

Regular
Long Island
Subject: RE: mndiver's Group - OPEN
Thanks for having me!! As far as my workout schedule goes I am pretty much starting from the beginning. I have never been a big fan of running. I have broken my goal to simply running around the block (1.5 Miles) without stopping for a break or to walk. I started last week and stopped 3 times. 3 days ago I ran it again and stopped twice. Today I ran it again and stopped once. I can feel myself getting better. My lungs don't feel like they are gong to explode. All of this in a short time so I feel pretty good about the short gains I have made. I have the same problem as Bryan. I know one speed... all of nothing. When I run, lift, Bike, it's all out or nothing. I started running with a heart monitor. Zone one for me was a quick walk, felt like I wasn't doing anything. Anyway I want to get the most running in I can for two reasons. As much as I don't like it, it helps with dropping the weight. Second, the weather. We ahve been pretty lucky in NY for the past few weeks, but the weather is going to catch up to us and snow. The only machine I don't have access to is a treadmill. The High school where I work has a gym and Bikes but no treadmill.

So for now my Workouts are based around Moutain biking and running. For the next week or two I see myself running two days, rest, Bike one day, rest, run two days. Just until I can start to control my breathing.

I guess Biking is my strong spot, I have mountained biked for the past 10 years as much as I can. It's alot of fun and gets your adrenaline going. I too am looking for a road Bike. After researching for a month and spending $1700 on a mountain Bike I really can't afford to buy a Road bike. I figure I will ride my MTB for my workouts until the spring gets here then look for a decent Road Bike.

Thanks again for having me, hope we can keep working togather.

Curt

2006-12-20 2:13 AM

User image

San Clemente
Subject: RE: mndiver's Group - OPEN
Bryan,

I'd like to join! I'm a total newbie - I've never done a triathlon. BUT 2007 is the year to get it done and I am psyched. I live in Southern California and am pretty active. I surf quite a bit, run during the week about 3-4 miles each run and chase my 6 year old son and 3 year old daughter around. My wife is really disciplined on eating healthy and exercises each day for about 2 hours. She's pretty skeptical on my new commitment to do a tri, so I'll have to prove her wrong.

Here's a bit of my background on the 3 aspects of the triathlon:

Running - I usually run about 3 times a week for 3-4 miles each run. I've mainly been doing it as a stress release. I have competed in 10k's but haven't tried to win.

Swimming - This past summer I took swim classes to teach me the proper strokes. I can swim very easily but wanted to have the right form in order to maximize my swim workouts.

Bike - I don't even own a bike yet. I'm looking to get one soon and would appreciate any advice from the others in the group.

I usually work about 50-60 hours/week so I am going to have to set my mind to training on a regular basis. This is where the encouragement and support from others come in
2006-12-20 4:36 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-12-20 4:39 PM

Elite
Subject: RE: mndiver's Group - FULL
Hey everyone. Wow this mentor thing has really taken off. I was away from my computor for about 36 hours and we have three new members. Ron, who started this whole mentor thing said that it is just fine to have more. 5 was just a suggestion. What I would like to suggest is that we go with our three new people who wanted to join and see if that works out. It puts us up to 9 total people. If it gets too convaluted or people get lost in the shuffle maybe we can branch off into two groups. I know Scott said he was interested in leading a group but missed the cut-off. I REALLY hate to not have you in the group though Scott (still thinking of T-Rex). Ron did say they were probably going to add mentors at the new year though, so that is an option if things don't work out and if you are interested in starting one up, Scott. For now, lets welcome our new members.
MedicTim- Tim
AEscalante- Anthony
Moyalopi- Not sure of real name yet

I just got back from a short trip and an attempted work-out so I need to get some things organized at home. But I'll log on later tonight and try to give a proper welcome to our new members

Edited by mndiver 2006-12-20 4:42 PM
2006-12-20 4:42 PM
in reply to: #629597

Thanks for letting me in. I see you have a few more than five, so I promise to do what I can to be helpful.
Hello group.
2006-12-20 4:53 PM
in reply to: #629597

2006-12-20 7:59 PM

Elite
So hear is the latest update I have. Ron is going to need to start with new mentors as of right now. This whole idea just took off and more mentors are needed. I think Scott (Spokes) will probably start his own group and I think that would be great because of his knowledge of all three disciplines and I think he knows every tiny nuance of B.T. After once again just reading all your bios, I really like our group and I think we can all help each other a lot. If Scott does decide to go off on his own and anybody feels like his goals and expertise would be something you would like to work with please feel free. The original idea was to have 1 mentor and 5 mentees. If Scott leaves that will put us at 1 mentor and 7 mentees. PLEASE don't all abandon this group I am great with working together with the 8 of us, or if a few of you would like to go to his group that is great also. Let me know what you think?

Scott, If you don't decide to start your own group that is even better. Love to have you stay with us also.
Bryan
2006-12-20 8:15 PM

Elite
Tim,
Great to have you on board. You are going to love being a part of B.T. Your history is amazing with how far you have come. 35 minute 5k's is pretty good for somebody who has come from 400 some pounds. If you are all ready doing run races you are going to love the rush you get from doing triathlons. If you can run 5k and you bike so much all ready, finishing will not be a problem. Get signed up for a few as soon as you can. You won't be sorry.

Anthony,
Your story is very close to mine. The one thing I will say about it is just how much I hated running as recently as last summer. Be carefull and work up and you might start to like it. I'm dealing with a bit of an injury that I think I actually got from a spinning class right now and I have not been able to run for 3 days. It dawned on me yesterday that I actually missed it. Best pointer I can give is to get fitted for good shoes at a running store. If they sell tennis golf clubs and other things, go somewhere else. Also, a tight Under Armour or its equivelent shirt worn under another work-out shirt does wonders for us big guys. Helps keep things in place so to speak. As I told Tim, sign up for a tri asap, you'll love it. The competitive spirit never dies.

Moyalopi,
Is that your real name also, or just a screen name? From what you said about your current fitness levels you could enter and complete a tri today. You wouldn't be real fast and would probably make a lot of really cool mistakes, but physically you could do it. Prove your wife wrong and she will love you for it. By joining B T you have taken a big step towards commiting yourself to the sport. As far as abike goes you may want to read some of the earlier posts that Suzanne and I had on bikes. You have to figure the bike is going to take about 50% of the triathlon time so you want to have a good one. Look forward to hearing more about you. Feel free to ask any questions at all.
2006-12-20 8:30 PM

Elite
Derek,
Great to hear more about you. My wife and I both do tri's and it is both good and bad. It is actually kind of difficult with 2 kids to schedule work-outs for both of us at different times. But, it is a lot of fun to be able to cheer each other on and know exactly what the other is going through. We were also able to do different tri's last year and now we know which are the good ones and which are the ones we can maybe pass on. As an ex football player you are going to love the feel of competition returning.

Swimming- I think everyone has talked about this aspect in some way. The best advice I can give here is to have somebody who knows what they are talking about evaluate your stroke. I tried to muscle through swim work-out for about 6 months before I went to a swim clinic w/ some guy I had never heard of. When I first showed up this chubby (chubbier than me for goodness sake) red headed goofball told me where the group was meeting. I figured he was just a helper. Eventually he ambled down to the lake and introduced himself. I thought you got to be kidding, this guy is going to make me a better swimmer. He jumped in and started talking about some things that kind of made sense and then demonstrated his stroke. O.M.G. It looked like he was being pulled by a boat. Turns out this guy is Dave Cameron and he is one of the best long distance swimmers in the world. He crossed the English Channel a few years ago and will be doing a double crossing in 2008. I think only 12 people have ever completed that task. From his short session and stroke evaluation I went from a 20 minute half miler to 16 minute half miler from one tri to the next. I plan on doing lessons this winter with my wife. It is our Christas gift to each other. Anyway, point is that Dave is about 6'1 and weighs about 235 pounds. Size matters very little in swimming. As a matter of fact if you read Total Immersion swimming, which he teaches, the taller the better.
Have a good day,
Bryan
2006-12-21 5:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
Good morning all. I have no problem with 9 folks - I'm staying. Plus I'm too lazy and easily confused to try to re-link my logs.

2006-12-21 7:26 AM

Master
Tiger's Den

Good morning group! I was a bad girl last night- didn't get my workout in, but no worries, Derek and I'll just have our date out on Saturday night and I can get a workout in on Friday night. I finally finished my Christmas cards last night, so I am happy about that.

I think we've got a good group- a good cross section of folks! I've got a few goals that I'd like to post for next year. These pretty much take me through Sept.

1. Complete a half mary in under 2:45 (since my marathon time was 6:30:30, this is a good bit faster, although I am still TURTLE slow- and I'm ok with that!)

2. Lose that last 20 lbs

3. Be able to knock out 20 pushups with proper form!

4. Compete in my age group (not novice) in the Clemson Sprint on 5/12- my first OWS, The Festival of Flowers OLY on 6/10, The Greenville Sprint on 8/19, and the SC HIM on 9/29. The Greenville Sprint is the one I did last year, and I'd like to come in at under 1:30 (previous time was 1:41).

5. Look smokin' in a bikini. Yes I know this is a vain goal, but to someone who's always been one of the bigger girls, this would be a monumental accomplishment for me!

2006-12-21 7:39 PM

Hey everyone, I'm fine with staying right here.

I was pretty ill over the weekend and have just gotten my strength. So I went to the gym today and ran on the treadmill, and rode the stationary bike. I would rather run and ride outside, but the weather just didn't cooperate today.

Here are my goals this year. Compete in the MAP Tri on March 3, the Charlottes Finest Dual on March 17. I would like to be able to compete in the Wilmington YMCA Tri on Sept 29, this is a sprint, but has a 1500 meter open water swim, 20 mile bike, and 5k run. The cool thing is the swim is in the bay where I swam a child, and the bike route goes by my childhood home. Plus I still have relatives in the area who could come out and support me. But I'm a little leary of that swim. On the flip side I've got nearly 10 months to train, so I'm going to go for it. I may register and do the Clemson sprint, if so maybe I be able to meet Susan, and Derek.

Here's my basic training schedule.

Tomorrow. Swim 800 - 1000 yrds.
Sat. Bike 20 - 30 miles, or 1 -2 hours stationary.
Sunday-0ff
Monday- Run 5k, possibly bike for 15 miles after.
Tuesday- Swim 1000 - 1200 yrds.
Wed- Bike 20 -30 miles.
Thurs- Swim 1000- 1200 yrds.
Fri- Going to Mom's for Christmas, Will try to run 5k that afternoon.
Sat- Still in Wilmington, Will probably run again.
Sun- Off, But will be ride a Bike for EMS coverage in Charlotte.

My focus right now is on swimming, so I will be in the pool 3 times a week, then squeeze in a ride and run on the other days.

Later, Tim
2006-12-21 8:43 PM

Regular
Long Island
OK heres the first question... is it impossible to stay in zone 1 and actually feel like you are doing anything? Now remember I have just started running/biking again so I know my heart rate is going to jump up after being inactive for a while. Today I rode my bike for 30 minutes. Nothing hard just a casual ride. According to the formual (220 minus age, 32 my zone 1 hr of 50% to 60% should be 96 to 112. That was impossible to stay in. My average was 128. To get under 112 I would have to get off the bike and walk home slowly. So do I say the heck with the HR stuff and just go out and ride at what I think is a moderate pace or keep trying to stay in zone 1? I hope that made sense.

I feel that if I went out on my own pace I would work a little harder and in turn it would lower my heart rate on easier base building workouts, like the bike ride today.

Your thoughts?

Curt
2006-12-21 9:05 PM
in reply to: #631149

Master
Tiger's Den

Curt, the 220-your ageformula is one of Mike Ricci's biggest gripes- (he's the coach on here for the gold members)- he feels that a much more accurate measure is the LT (Lactate Threshold) test. Please read this thread: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&posts=262&highlight=Lactate%20Threshold&highlightmode=1#M608396

I did my LT test tonight to make sure my zones were correct. It wasn't fun, but not hard. Basically, I did a 30 minute run at the fastest pace I could sustain. I wore my heartrate monitor and took my average heart rate for the last 20 minutes. This was 177, so 177 is my LT. By entering this number in on my manage heart rate zones on my training log, it gave me my zones. My zone 2 is 151 - 161, which is about what I expected. My long runs are at about 155-158 average so I am right there.

My Zone 1 incidently is 117-150.

So, calculate your LT or use one of the other methods Mike discusses in that thread. That's the best way to calculate your zones.

Suzanne

2006-12-22 3:52 AM

San Clemente
Bryan,

User name is moyalopi. Real name is Mike. A lot of people just call me MJ.

I've thought about just entering a triathlon to see how I would do. But I thought I would start training now to lower the chance of injury. I'd like to do my first Tri in April or May. I haven't set any specific goals as of yet. I want to get into the training and then set some realistic goals. So I will keep you posted on that.

As far as a training regimen, I've downloaded the Beginner to Sprint 13 week workout from the site. I'll start with that and adjust as necessary.

And, thanks for letting me be a part of the group. It's already provided some accountability as I find myself cheking the discussions daily.

MJ
2006-12-22 6:09 AM

Elite
Curt,
What Suzanne said is right on the money. I drove myself nuts trying to keep my heart rate down for almost 6 months before I read all the information on lactate threshhold training. It makes sense completely. I have a tough time keeping my heart rate below 110 on a good walk. One other thing I have read quite a bit is that there is really no such thing as recovery pace for beginning runners. In other words, don't worry too much if you do slip nto Z1 on your runs, eventually that will come down. My L.T. is 168 running, and yes, it is different in all 3 sports. At 168 that puts my Z1 somewhere around 112-144. If I go real slow I can stay at 144. But, I don't feel like I am even running at that speed. Most my training is done on a track at 10 minute miles or so. That usually puts me in Z2 and has my heart rate at about 155. I usually take 1 minute walk breaks every 8 minutes for short recoveries. I would look at the Heart Rate Zones in the training log for sure.

2006-12-22 6:18 AM

Elite
MJ,
You could probably just do a triathlon and finish. The thing about that is, I.M.O. it's anticlimactic. You woke up one day, through some stuff together, took a swim, then rode a bike, then ran. Sure you finished, but did you really experience all that much? I love triathlon for one main reason. The Journey. I really do like training. I like tweaking things, changing them and seeing what happens. I also like going out and knowing I have done the best I can to prepare myself for this race. I have earned the right to be here and whatever the results are, I earned them. I don't race against other people, I race against the person I was yesterday. For me that is what makes triathlon fun.
Hopefully checking in everyday keeps you commited and inspired.

Tim,
Sorry to hear you were sick. Nothing slows down training like a bad cold. Great goals for the coming year.

2006-12-22 6:33 AM

Elite
There are a few people not using the training logs. If you can that would really help our group as a whole to motivate each other and will help you to see how far you have come. If you are not sure how it works you can just ask anyone or play around with it for a little while. I am very computer illiterate, but am able to use the program with ease. My logs don't look half as cool as most peoples, but I got the bacics down. Have a great Friday everyone.
Bryan
2006-12-22 7:24 AM
in reply to: #631254

Master
Tiger's Den

mndiver - 2006-12-22 7:18 AM  The I also like going out and knowing I have done the best I can to prepare myself for this race. I have earned the right to be here and whatever the results are, I earned them. I don't race against other people, I race against the person I was yesterday. For me that is what makes triathlon fun. 

Wow, this is exactly how I feel. I'll never be the fastest woman out there. I probably will max out at MOP, but I'll be the fastest me that I can be. I like to challenge myself just to see if I can do it. Most of the fun is proving to myself that I have no limits!

BTW, I'm gonna help Derek get set up with the logs this weekend!

2006-12-22 8:06 AM

Not far from God's Land Clemson, SC
Good morning all. It has been real hectic around here due to the fact that we have only one week left before the end of our fiscal year with a lot still left to do. We are trying to get things built and shipped out. I just don't have much time at work to post. I will get my training logs setup this weekend and go over my training for the next week. I will also set out my race plans for next year. TTYL.

D
2006-12-22 10:28 AM
in reply to: #629777

2006-12-23 9:31 AM

I have been sick, but feeling better now.
Fridays work out
Run
1 mile in 9:47. I was wanting 9 minutes, but just did not have the wind or strenght.

Push ups
4 sets of 15

Pull ups
3 sets of 2

Sit up exercises (varied)
4 sets of 20
2006-12-24 8:06 AM

Elite
Hi everybody. Well my relaxation week had to start 4 days early because of a torn calf muscle. Nothing to log other than cleaning the house and wrestling with the kids. Considering we weren't really scheduled to start these mentor groups until the new year I think we have a great start and a really great group. My wife and I decided to take the kids to Cozumel as a Christmas gift to them and ourselves this year. I will basically be gone until January 3rd. At that point I plan on revving up the work-outs and having my races for the year pretty well figured out. Wishing everybody a very happy holiday season. Take care and enjoy.
Bryan
2006-12-26 9:49 AM

Have a great time. Me and my family was in Cozomel this last May. We loved it. Have a wonderful trip.
2006-12-28 9:45 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
Bump - just to check in. I've been on break for a week so (1) not online as much and (2) not working out as much.

And just so this post isn't completely pointless... a request for advice. I got an ipod Nano for Christmas... cool toy, right? Well I ran with it for the first time and spent the entire time replacing the stupid earbuds into my ears because they kept falling out. Is there a trick? Do I have to buy different headphones? Will the little black foamy things help?

Good weekend all, and happy new year, in case i don't get back here before next week.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mndiver's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 8