BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mndiver's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-01-10 8:21 PM
in reply to: #625415

Subject: RE: mndiver's Group - FULL
Okay, stupid question on it's way. Where is the training log section everyone is using? I went to the Training log icon above, and then didn't know where to go after that. I never once have claimed to sharpest tack in the drawer.
Workouts have been going very well. I am on track with my scheduled runs, biking and weight training. I am checking into the local swim lessons this week. I really need some freestyle help.
I am semi comfortably running 3 miles this week. I am working up to six miles. Then I plan on really working on my speed for the 5k. It has been a number of years since I ran three. And this is the first in a really long time that it hasn't felt like I was getting stabbed multiple times by a rusty spoon or something equally awful.
I will start using the logs once I know where to post it.
Thanks to everyone for sharing. It has been helping me get on the road when it is cold.

2007-01-11 6:11 AM

User image

Elite
Great to hear your work-outs are proggressing so well. The training log is a great tool to use-if you know how to get to it. Fortunately it is very easy. 1. Hit the icon at the very top middle of the screen named Training Log. That will bring you to your own personel log. Fill in as much or as little of it as you want. Some people have amazingly cool things on theres and do a reall thorough job of writing things down. This is a great way to track your progress and see whats working and what isn't. If you want a great example of a REALLY nicely done log, go to Suzannes. If you want to view a very basic, not really all that computer savvy log, check mine out. You can view anyone elses log just by hitting log at the bottom of any forum they have written in. Make sure you save anything you have entered by hitting save at the bottom of the training log screen before exiting. If you have anymore questions please ask.
Bryan
2007-01-11 7:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
Just plugging along here. Getting in the regularly scheduled workouts. As always, I have plenty of distractions to blur up my brain... the dog blew out her ACL on Sunday, all 3 kids were sick Tuesday & Wednesday, and we just put down $1600 smacks for a new patio door last night. I know there will never be a time where there aren't ten million things going on in life, and to be honest, none of these distractions are that big of a deal, but it is tough to focus on things.

If I didn't do most of my workouts at 5:30 AM, I would have a hard time getting them done. I have not been meeting my goals for evening strength training.

I'm at a standstill on bike shopping. I have not found anything on Craigs List or in other local classifieds.

2007-01-11 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Workouts have been good- though it's tough to get in a routine where I'm going to bed early enough to get enough sleep. This morning's workout in the pool was not quite as tough as Tuesday's but I did get a good workout. I hate hate hate getting up at 5:15 to get to the class by 6, but there is no other way I could fit in all my workouts if I didn't do some of them in the morning. Well, I take that back, I could fit them all in, but I wouldn't have time to do laundry, go grocery shopping, or watch TV (LOVE FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS!!!) and unwind. So, it's morning pool workouts for now. I may get a wild hair up my butt and get my treadmill workouts in in the morning, too, but as Derek would say- don't count on it!

My tenative Race Schedule (I say tenative- I may add or change up races)

Feb 3rd- Tybee Island Half Marathon

Feb 24th- Green Valley 10 mile (Not sure about this one)

Mar 3rd- Reedy River 10K (not sure about this one either)

May 12th- Clemson Sprint Tri

June 10th- Festival of Flowers Olympic Tri

August 19th- Greenville Sprint Tri

Sept. 30th- SC Half Ironman Tri

Like Bryan, I am nervous about the HIM. I know I should be able to do all the distances independently (I could knock out the swim and the run now) but putting them all together will be a challenge. But I like pushing myself, and that's what this will do. I may add more road races when I can find them, but it all depends on how it fits in my training, etc. After I do the half mary in a few weeks, I want to keep my long run at about 9-10 miles so that I don't have to ramp up much to do the half mary distance again later in the season. I would love to do the Country Music Half Marathon in April. Maybe I can talk my mom into a girl's weekend in Nashville

Edited by SuzanneS 2007-01-11 7:38 AM
2007-01-11 8:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Hello all,
I am the person Bryan was speaking of and so I will post my bio with some minor goals for now.
Thanks,
Devin

NAME: co_tri_guy/Devin

STORY: IN 2004 I went to Hawaii during the week of IM and fell in love with the idea of a triathlon. I had a coach through 2005 and did well in the spring I signed up for. My family moved to MN from CO this spring, so 06 was a wash for me.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 8 years, 2 kids ages 6, and 4. I work 40-45 hours a week with a 10 minute commute.

CURRENT TRAINING: I train with a HRM Polar 720. My main focus this last year has been sanity via bicycling which is my strong sport. I can run fairly well when in shape and I learned I liked swimming in 2004 when I started training for the sprint. My biggest challenge is the weight loss that I need to do, as I put on 20-30 pds with the move.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: I did not do any races in 06 expect for some long bike rides on my own.

2007 RACES: My goals are to do another sprint and then move up to an Olympic and maybe a 1/2. I would like throw in some bike races/rides and running races.

WEIGHTLOSS: At the risk of TMI, the last time I weighed myself, I was ~180LBS and 5'8, so a bit heavy. The good thing is that I have a set of lungs to move all this mass. I was down in the 150-160 range in 05 when training for the sprint. The move and new job with the lack of focused training caused my weight gain.

Some more detailed goals are:
Feb 1 is my drop dead date for getting my race schedule in order, so I do not lose races due to them filling up.

2. The weight is an ASAP thing, but I know it takes work. I have never had to fight to lose weight in the past, so this is new for me. I am trying to track my nutrition and increase my exercise to start with. I have no experience with time frames for losing weight, so this is a hard one to say.

3. Swimming goals would be to get strong endurance wise in the pool. Increase my overall swimming efficiency, and continue to increase my speed. Some detailed goals might be to increase my weekly long/endurance swim by 100yds a week in the first month and to work on shaving my stroke count/25yd time down every week, but I have no idea by what amount.

Biking goals would be to get better on the hills, sprints, and overall recovery after them. I would like to continue to average around 50-70 miles a week through mid February.

Running goals are to get fast again and not feel like a clodhopper running. On a more serious note, I just want see fitness and time gains and stay healthy and motivated. I would like to do a 5K in February, maybe another 5K in March and a 10K in April. I feel these would help with motivation.

Some of these goals will become more detailed when I work out my training plan. I am trying to decide between using a winter prep/maintenance plan through spring or pick a Olympic plan that gets me to May/June and then switch to a 1/2 IM plan for summer.

Edited by co_tri_guy 2007-01-11 2:20 PM
2007-01-11 8:45 PM

User image

San Clemente
Hey group. Just want to let those of you looking for bikes know that I have posted a classifed for new Diamondbacks. Here's the link:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Let me know if you or someone you know has any interest.

I'm off for my training run.

MJ

2007-01-11 9:09 PM

User image

Elite
Welcome Devin. There really are a lot of good 5 and 10k's to look into in this area. If you go to www.midwestevents.com you can find listings of many of the runs and tri's and when they are happening. My wife really like the Valentines day 5k at Lake Harriet. I will probably do that with her this year.

M.J. Hope you had a good run.
2007-01-12 6:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
A question for the group... I am trying to log my (feeble) strength and weights work. (See my log for Thursday). I may have to go back and edit, because I'm not sure I know all the real names of the exercises I do... I think I am close enough. I also know that the logs are for me as long as I understand what I'm talking about, it is not a big deal.

My other two questions... On something like an Elbow Bridge, you don't really do reps. For example, i do one Bridge and hold it for 60 seconds. So I don't really know how to log this. Same for crunches. SOmetimes I will do sets, but last night for example, I just did 10 crunches, holding each one for 15 seconds. Again... not sure how to log it.

Final question.. when working with dumbells on something like Bicep Curls.. do you enter the weight being worked by each arm (for example, I am using a 10 lb dumbell) or the total weight being worked by bother arms (2 X 10lb dumbells = 20 lbs).

I know it only matters as long as I understand it... but I figure if I'm going to log it I might as well try to be as accurate as possible. You can see that I don't have a real big background in weight training.
2007-01-12 7:23 AM
in reply to: #651808

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Good Question. When I do bridge I do it 3 times and hold for 20 seconds each (if you can hold 60 I am thoroughly impressed) so I log it as 1 set, 3 reps. When I do crunches, I log it as 1 set, 12 reps. (hopefully I'll start doing multiple sets of these!)

As for weight, I asked Derek this question- and then did what I thought was right. For example, When I do bicep curls, I list the weight in each hand because I am working each muscle independently and could do the exercise one arm at a time. For squats though, I list the total weight of the dumbells in both hands, because I wouldn't do one leg at a time, they work together in pairs.  Military press with dumbbells is the same way- I list the weight that each arm is holding, rather than the total. The only other one I list the total weight is this exercise called saxon side bends where I hold a weight in each hand over my head and do side bends. since it's working my core, my core is feeling all the weight, not just what's in each hand. (By the way, I couldn't find this in the list so I on my log I think it's on there as medecine ball twists.)

If you want to know the names of the exercises, the easiest thing to do is to google them and usually you will find a website with pictures. That's what I did, anyway...

2007-01-12 7:44 AM

User image

Elite
Go with your first instinct. Name it what you want as long as you remember what you called it and then record it so it makes sense to you. The log is for you. It is a way for you to be able to go back and track your progress and see what is working and what isn't. Also for those of us with a prepensity to voyourism Good luck.
2007-01-12 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Well, I just signed up for the Buffalo Olympic distance here in MN officially. I have imported this plan to work with for now. In a few weeks, I may change depending on how I feel.
7-10 Hour Winter Maintenance/Prep Training Plan - 20 Week.
Devin

2007-01-12 1:59 PM

User image

Elite
Great race from what I have been told. My wife is doing that one so I'm sure I will be there jock strapping. We'll have to meet up at the race and make introductions.
2007-01-15 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Well, I started my new training plan this morning with 1400 yds in the pool. It felt really good to be training again. How was everyone's weekend and how did the training go? My Wife is signed up for the Albert Lea triathlon on May 20th.
Devin
2007-01-15 9:30 AM

User image

Elite
Had a great weekend for training. Although it was the last weekend for shorter miles. Time to start kicking up the distances for me. Glad to see you had such a great swim. I have the day off and should have all ready finished my 90 minute training session. Still sitting in front of my computer though. I will go now, I will!
2007-01-15 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

I had a great weekend of training! Shattered my half mary goal in training, so now I've reset the goal at 2:30. WooHoo!

Didn't get on the trainer on Sunday, but I did fit in my strength session. My excuse: spent 5 hours at my mother's house cleaning and rearranging furniture. That was a workout in itself!

Derek had a good run on Sunday- I need to get on him about posting! LOL!

Swim class in the morning, bright and early

2007-01-15 2:34 PM

Hey everyone, I had a great week training. I'm getting more comfortable in the pool, just got to work after todays session. I swam a total of 3050 yrds today, with one 100 x 2, to warm-up. then 1650, 500 x 2, 100 x 2. This is the fartherest I have swam in one sessions, ane the 1650 the fartherest without stopping. My fastest 100 time is still fairly slow @ 2:14. But I've come a long way in the past few weeks. Thanks to everyone who gave me some hints.

I rode in two polarbear bike rides over the weekend, the temp both days was above 60, so I guess they should have called them grizzly bear rides. 64 miles on Saturday and 40 on Sunday.
I'm up to running five miles on my long day, but hoping to increase this distance.

2007-01-15 5:09 PM

User image

Elite
Great to see everybody so far had such great work-outs. Looks like personal bests for Suzanne and Tim both. I had a really nice 90 minute trainer ride this morning that turned out better than I had hoped it would. Sure does make me jealous reading about Tim riding outside this weekend though.
2007-01-15 5:16 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island
OK Where is everyone from?
I live in New York, The eastern end of long Island.
If I want to bike Hills, I need to go to New Jersey.
Right now the temp outside is about 40 but going into the teens tonight.

Anyway for the weekend, It Rained, all day SAt, Sun and today.
Got a quick run in and biked today inbetween down pours.

Glad to hear other people are getting out.

Hinch
2007-01-15 5:17 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island
One more thing is anyone taking any type of supplements? Whats good? especially of weight loss and for endurance, beside a muti-vitamin?
2007-01-15 5:43 PM

User image

Elite
I'm from the southern metro area of Minneapolis Minnesota. Some people around here train outside in the winter months, but not me. As for supplements, I take none. I've always kind of felt that if you ate right you were flushing 98% of those supplements down the toilet at the end of the day. Just my opinion though, I'm sure there are very good reasons and successes for supplement use.
2007-01-15 7:40 PM

I'm from the Charlotte metro area, there are plenty of hills, and some small mountains in this area, so I can work on my climbing. Also we have had very little cold weather this year, so up to this point I have been able to ride, and run outside on most days.

I take a multivitamin, and some calcium supplements, I have to take twice what most people take, due to my having had gastric bypass surgery three years ago. I don't absorb all of the nutrients that I intake, so for me supplements are a must. I do find it challenging to figure out how to get nutrition during my long rides. I usually drink a low carb, high protien shake, prior to any exercise session. During lengthy cycling sessions, I use GU, which gives me some energy, eat bannannas, and drink watered down gatoraide. But even with that I often develop severe leg cramps when I ride over 55 miles.

Keep training.

2007-01-15 11:25 PM

User image

San Clemente
MJ here. I'm from San Clemente, CA. I think we've had the cold weather this year. We've been breaking our low temps records. All that to say that it really isn't that cold, it's just a good excuse to not train for us wimps.

I've been fighting a cold for a few weeks now and it has been very hard to train. Do I fight through it and train anyway? Or do I stop completely until I feel really good? I've been training, but not up to potential due to this persistent cough.

Went for a ride and run this past weekend. Nothing to far. But I did get out and it felt great.

One of the difficulties that I face is the short days. By the time I get home from work it's dark. So I can't ride and the pool I use is closed. So running is about the only training that I can get in. I did buy a bike trainer today to use inside so that should help on the bike. I'll be starting to bike with a bike club the first week of February so that should help as well.

I don't take supplements, but do take Juice Plus everyday. And lots of decaf coffee which has to be a supplement in and of itself
2007-01-16 6:21 AM

User image

Elite
Good to hear from you M.J. Hope that cold gets better soon. What I have always been told about training when sick is that if it is in your head you are usually o.k. to train. If it moves into your chest you should take it easy. Good Luck with the trainer work-outs. I find that I need to have my ipod on or a very show or movie going and it really helps the work-out. Gets a little boring otherwise. Also, I would suggest aiming a fan at you while you ride. Gets veryhot w/ no air movement while riding.

Edited by mndiver 2007-01-16 6:22 AM
2007-01-16 7:16 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

TigerD (Derek) and I are from right outside of Greenville, SC.  Same weather here pretty much as in Charlotte and Atlanta. We've had a mild winter! Lots of hills in my area- we are pretty much in the foothills of the Blueridge mountains. I run outside on the weekend and occasionally during the week, though I prefer to do my weekly runs on the treadmill because I don't like running in the dark, and by the time I get home it's dark. Haven't been on my bike much, though I do have a trainer. My goal is to ride it on the trainer 2 times per week and after the half mary I'll start riding it on the weekends. I think I need a new tire for my back wheel- it seems to be wearing through from being on the trainer....

2007-01-17 5:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
I'm still here. Mostly just doing the logs since I've been pretty busy the last week or so.

I am in Cincinnati. We are just now getting winter after 2 months of mild temps. No snow, but plenty of cold. And the heat is out in my classroom.

I am running outside once a week, and will do so as long as it is not too icy, or under 20 degrees, or too slushy. The only riding I am doing is still the stationary bike at the Y, and I swim two mornings a week.

My biggest obstacle right now, I think, is that I start need to do more technical training rather than base building. Like, working on improving my swim stroke, following a plan, building up to longer workouts, maybe interval training. This is where my brain challenges me... I love to just get out there and run, or swim, or whatever, and not think about it too much. WHen I have to pay attention, and do math, and think about details, that makes it more like work. So I know this is a mental roadblock for me.

Otherwise, I continue to slog away. School starts in 10 minutes, so I have to skedaddle. Today is also the 6-year-old pirate's birthday. So far no vomit
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mndiver's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 8