BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mndiver's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-01-17 6:21 AM
in reply to: #625415

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: mndiver's Group - FULL
Does your Y have spinning classes? Like you said, stationary bikes are good for base building, but specific training is going to help you out a lot more when it comes to triathlon races in a few months, ok 4 or 5 months. Spinning classes are not exactly like being on your bike, but they are pretty close. One of the instructors at our Y teaches spinning 3 times a week and does very little biking outside of class. HE FLIES on the bike segments of the triathlons. If you get a chance to do one of those classes give it a shot. Make sure you bring water and a towel though, they are tough. Good luck w/ the party.

2007-01-19 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
I am on my way to filling up my race ticket for 2007. Here is what I have so far:
February 4th
City of Lakes Loppet 35K freestyle/skate ski race

4/28/2007
Get In Gear 10K

June 3rd
Buffalo Olympic Triathlon

June 9th
Liberty 1/2 Ironman

I am using a 20wk HIM plan from BT, so I guess we will see how it goes. There are quite a few BT'ers from the Twin Cities here and we are planning on triing (J/K) to train together some of the time and I hope that will keep some of my motivation up.
Keep triing,
Devin
2007-01-19 4:02 PM

User image

Elite
Looks like a challenging schedule. Hopefully we will have enough snow for the ski race.
2007-01-19 4:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
I agree, but I think with the tri club and the mentor groups, I can do it. The snow is okay, as long as we do not get warmer temps before then, otherwise it will melt all of it.
2007-01-22 1:10 PM

User image

Elite
Been a little while since everybody checked in. How about this. Lets talk about what we think is our biggest limiter and what you are doing to make it better.

For me I would have to say endurance. I have always been a go full blast type of guy and then crash after 20-45 minutes. I decided after last tri season I wanted to change. Eventually I wan to complete an Ironman and there is no way I was going to accomplish that goal the way I was going. Starting this year I have vowed to stay in Zone 2 training and extend my work-outs longer and longer. I am trying to push my long rides on the trainer up to 2 hours and start getting treadmill runs up to 90 minutes. Hopefully by the time the weather warms up I will be ready for long distances outside. As for swimming Kelly and I just started taking T.I. lessons and am hoping that helps with long distance swimming.
2007-01-22 2:07 PM
in reply to: #663449

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

My limiter is biking. I say that knowing I am a slower runner, but I think that I have more to gain by working on the bike. I don't think I could gain a whole lot on the run yet- not enough base miles on the old legs yet.

So, what am I doing? Not much presently- just riding the trainer. Will be hiring a coach this spring to help with it. During the season I ride about 60-70 miles per week. Long ride is in the 30-40 mile(2-2.5 hours) range. Need to up that long to 60-70(4-4.5 hours) and total weekly mileage to at least 100 miles. From what I understand, time in the saddle helps more than anything!

2007-01-23 10:08 AM
in reply to: #663576

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Suzanne,
While time in the saddle is good, you need to make sure you are not over training or IMHO under training since bike training is so time consuming, you want to make sure you are getting the most bang for you each session.

If you ride and just doddle, you are not really engaging the system to a point that benefits it. Have you had an Lactate Threshold test done or do you have a decent idea of your cycling and running HR zones? There is a great article available to performance members on the ideal HR for ironman racing/training. Let me know if you are not and I can give you a quick overview. Here is the link to the article.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...
You can also find it on Mike's website at
http://www.d3multisport.com/newsletter/dec2006_2.htm
Let me know if you have questions,
Devin

SuzanneS - 2007-01-22 2:07 PM

My limiter is biking. I say that knowing I am a slower runner, but I think that I have more to gain by working on the bike. I don't think I could gain a whole lot on the run yet- not enough base miles on the old legs yet.

So, what am I doing? Not much presently- just riding the trainer. Will be hiring a coach this spring to help with it. During the season I ride about 60-70 miles per week. Long ride is in the 30-40 mile(2-2.5 hours) range. Need to up that long to 60-70(4-4.5 hours) and total weekly mileage to at least 100 miles. From what I understand, time in the saddle helps more than anything!

2007-01-23 10:56 AM
in reply to: #664669

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

LOL, I don't really doddle, but my area is so hilly, so it may seem like I ride slow. Usually, I can do the 15 mile jaunt that I normally do in about 1:05. Those weekly rides I pretty much try to maintain my best speed. The longer rides on the weekend are slower, but not so much so. 30 miles in about2:15. I have not done my LT on the bike, though I have done it on the run. My run LT was 177, I've heard your bike LT is usually about 10bpm less. I hit that quite often when I am huffing and puffing up a hill. Really, it's that hilly. I can't wait to go to the lower part of the state this spring when Derek fishes and train on some flat areas- I want to see what I can do when I'm not going up a hill! (It seems like there are more uphills than there are downhills, LOL).

I've lost about 10 lbs since I rode on the road last, and I want to lose another 15-20, so I'm sure that will help me to be able to go faster then.

Riding on the trainer I know won't do a lot for me except keep me used to being on the saddle. I've upped the resistance a bit, so who knows. I start with my coach in March right before daylight savings kicks in.

Interesting article. I think one of the first things my coach does is establish the HR training zones. This should be an interesting spring!

2007-01-23 12:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Sorry if I was implying that you doddle. I was just saying that a lot of riders myself included can find themselves just riding to ride and not working their zones. That is biggest thing in running and cycling that help me get stronger. Working with a coach is an awesome experience, I had the chance to do it for 3 years. I wish I could still afford it here, but oh well I have BT and my local club!
2007-01-23 12:47 PM
in reply to: #664953

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

I wasn't offended, I knew what you meant by doddling. Living and riding in such a hilly area, it's kind of hard to just ride easy- I need to see if I can download the elevation profile of the route I take during the week. It's got what I consider steep hills, although they aren't mountain steep. The biggest part is that you hardly can recover from going up one hill before you are hit with another. Riding the bike is what helped me strengthen my quads which eliminated my knee problems I got while running. It's amazing how it all fits together.

I am super psyched about my coach. I can't wait to see what she's gonna help me achieve!

2007-01-23 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Try using www.routeslip.com to map your route out. Once you create the route, it will give you an elevation chart.

2007-01-23 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Here is the elevation profile of the route I typically take during the week(spring/summer/fall). I think it's pretty hilly, but I don't know how it compares to what others do.

Attachments
----------------
Elevation profile of Carolina Springs route.doc (25KB - 24 downloads)
2007-01-23 2:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
That has some very nice hills and seeing how they are short and steep, that makes it that much more fun.
2007-01-23 3:30 PM
in reply to: #665242

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Fun to go down, a btich to go up. Especially when you have to stop at a stop sign on one of those uphills....Laughing
2007-01-23 4:57 PM

User image

Elite
Stopping on an uphill is so far beyond cruel it is unexplainable.
2007-01-23 6:20 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island
I wish we had some hills. Long Island is so packed with congestion, that it can be down right scary to ride. Everything out here is Flat. I hope to get out to New Jersey in the Spring where I can attack some hills.

My training has been almost reduced to Strength workouts and Stationary bike. It's so cold out. I plan to look into joining a pool club soon, need to get back in the pool. For some reason I am not so worried about the swim portion. It's only 500 meters. My Race is in July. I figure I can really start trying hard in the pool around March/April. AM I being nieve about this? Do you think I should start getting in the pool earlier? I still believe the run is my worst area. I am able to maitain a nice slow jog for quite a while now. (AT least compared to 1 month ago.) The only problem is when I start to take longer strides I really start huffing and puffing and my HR skyrockets. Remember I haven'trun in quite a while and I have no experience in triathlons.

I feel very comfortable on the bike. After years of riding a mountain Bike, a road bike feels like a paper weight.

Anyway I have lost 20 pounds so far, 245 down to 225 and still going

Being apart of this group really helps a lot.

2007-01-23 6:42 PM
in reply to: #665558

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

I think you'll be fine starting the swim training then as long as you have a decent swimming background. 500 meters is the equivalent of 20 laps in a 25 meter pool. That doesn't sound hard, but when you are going as fast as you can, it isn't easy. That being said, I started swimming in April for an August race last summer and I fared ok. I wasn't thrilled with my time because I had done faster in training, but I was not last. The swim portion is so small relative to the time spent running and cycling that you probably won't lose more than a few minutes anyway by waiting to start swimming.

Congrats on the 20 lbs! That's awesome! 

2007-01-23 6:53 PM

User image

Elite
Way to go on the weight loss Hinch. That is a great accomplishment. I think Suzanne made one mistake in her calculations. 20 laps would be 1,000 yards, so pretty close to 1,000 meters. I think Suzanne meant to say 20 lengths is equal to about 500 meters. As far as starting in March or April I think you will be o.k.as long as you understand going in you are going to have to put out a lot of effort for the swim. I would try to do a group swim as soon as it gets warm enough. No bigger shock than your first triathlon swim and you have all those people going at once. It's a lot like being in a washing machine if you get in the middle of it. If that makes you nervouse it's a good idea to stay towards the sides or the back in the start of the race.
2007-01-23 11:52 PM

User image

San Clemente
My limiter is swimming. I've been wanting to join the masters swim program here, but honestly I've wimped out. With temps in the 30's (in Southern California!) and the pool outdoors, I haven't wanted to get up at 5:30 am to get in a pool. BUT, I hope to change that. The next class starts Feb 1 so I will try to get into that.

As a newbie, I have a few questions that maybe you can all help with.

1. Regarding HR Zones - When running, should I slow down my pace when I reach zone 3 or should I completely stop and wait until my HR goes back to zone 2 before starting again at the pace I had been running?

2. As for the swim workouts, the plan gives both distance and time. Should I be swimming the stated distance in the stated time? Or is it either the distance OR the time?

3. What should I be paying attention to when on the bike trainer? My HR, cadence, speed?

Thanks for your help.

MJ
2007-01-24 6:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
My biggest limiters are cycling in general and making the change from "working out" to "training."

I am actively looking for a bike and hope to get riding soon. But I have to say that of the three tri events, cycling is the most intimidating to me. Not because I don't think I can make the distance in a Sprint, but just because of all the technical stuff. I read some of the cycling discussions on BT and it's like I'm reading a foreign language.. not only all the different components, but all the types fo training, shifting, pedaling... Then there's maintainence of your bike, transporting your bike, and all the accessories that must be considered and can run up the credit card.

I will definitely stick with the basics to get started, but compared to running and swimming, but cyling is the most overwhelming to me right now. I will probably try to find a basic bike maintainence or intro to road cycling course at a LBS.

That being said, I know I need to focus on improving my stroke in the pool. But I think even my not-perfect technique in the water is MOP and can get me by as I work on improving.

My other limiter is changing my focus from working out to training. I've mentioned this before. I am currently using up just about all the "me" time I can during the week, and it will be challenging to get in longer workouts, weekend rides, and bricks, especially as Spring comes and family commitments increase. I'm pretty sure my current endurance levels and consistent workouts will get me through a Sprint tri, even if it is BOP. But I want to do an OLY by the end of the summer. Even though I'm a teacher and it seems like summer should allow unlimited training, when I am off from school I am pretty much a full-time daddy and my "me" time is actually less.

So those are my big limiters. That, and I'm also really grumpy this week for no apparent reason.
2007-01-24 8:52 AM
in reply to: #665871

User image

Veteran
Longmont
MJ,
To answer you questions in order:
1. HR zones are key to training, know them and live by them. Do not stop, but slow down until your HR gets back to normal, though the best plan is to not exceed your prescribed zone for that day.

2. On the swim workouts, do the distance, as the times are usually designed after a faster swimmer.

3. Cycling is the same answer as #1, but also make sure your riding a good cadence such as above 90RPM.

On HR zones, a good thing to do it get a Lactate Threshold test done which will give you your training zones for running and cycling. A good self test for those who cannot afford the LT test is to so the following on either a treadmill which works best or a bike trainer.

Perform a 30 minute time trial, as if in a race. Pace your effort so that you don't die too soon, or finish with too much gas. At 10 minutes, hit the split button on your heart rate monitor to record your average heart rate over the last 20 minutes of the test. This average heart rate is an estimation of your LTHR.

Let me know if you have any questions,
Devin

Moyalopi - 2007-01-23 11:52 PM

My limiter is swimming. I've been wanting to join the masters swim program here, but honestly I've wimped out. With temps in the 30's (in Southern California!) and the pool outdoors, I haven't wanted to get up at 5:30 am to get in a pool. BUT, I hope to change that. The next class starts Feb 1 so I will try to get into that.

As a newbie, I have a few questions that maybe you can all help with.

1. Regarding HR Zones - When running, should I slow down my pace when I reach zone 3 or should I completely stop and wait until my HR goes back to zone 2 before starting again at the pace I had been running?

2. As for the swim workouts, the plan gives both distance and time. Should I be swimming the stated distance in the stated time? Or is it either the distance OR the time?

3. What should I be paying attention to when on the bike trainer? My HR, cadence, speed?

Thanks for your help.

MJ

2007-01-24 9:36 AM
in reply to: #665914

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

DTraub - 2007-01-24 7:00 AM That, and I'm also really grumpy this week for no apparent reason.

You might have PMS!! (Just kidding- I couldn't resist)

Mndiver- yeh I meant lengths, we've just always referred to a length as a lap. I know it's not right, but it's a 34 year habit, LOL.

DTraub- Can you get a jogging stroller and have some one on one time with one of your kids that way? How about a burley to pull them along with your bike?

2007-01-24 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
No kidding, Suzanne. Although today is going better than the last couple days.

2007-01-24 4:25 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island
DTraub fi you have any questions about bikes I would be happy to help you. I am pretty kknowledgable about eh different equipment. I have spent years on Mt. Bikes and recently bought an road bike. My road bike was the best I could find with limited money. If you don't have a HRM look on BikeNashbar right now because they are having some good sales. You can also look on ebay. The biggest concern witha bike is the fit. Go to the local bike store and get fitted, even if you don't buy a bike there atleast youo'll know what size you are. Stay with the major brand bikes, but don't feel like tou have to buy the biggest name. In other words, lokk for Giant, Cannondale, Trek, Jamis, SPecialized, etc. I wold not suggest looking at Sporting goods store bikes, there aren't the same quality. MOst bike companies have 3 differnt frames. Recreation, sport and pro. Pro frames are Very expensive. I always try to look at sport or high end Recreation. The frames in each of the three different classes are usually the same. For example, The Giant OCR Frame is the same whether it's an OCR1, Ocr2 or OCR3 the difference between them and the difference in prices are the components; everything that is attached to the frame. (gears, handle bars, pedals, brakes, seat, chain etc) The better/lighter the more money it costs.

The things I always look at first are the gears, cranks and the brakes.

Also always ask what bikes they have left over from last year. It can help you save $100 right off the bat.

When buying a bike, comfortable and size is the key. If it does fit right, you'll never want to ride very long.

IF you have any questions let me know, hope this helps.
2007-01-24 10:04 PM

User image

San Clemente
DTraub, I would agree with Hinch as far as going to a LBS and getting fit for a bike. I recently bought my first road bike and will share my experience.

Like you, I was overwhelmed with all the information regarding bike choices, sizes, etc. I went down to a LBS and got fitted on a Trek 1000. Size 56. I didn't end up buying that bike since I didn't want to spend that much money. After searching on eBay, I finally concluded that the deals there weren't real good, so I looked elsewhere. I finally found a bike on Craigslist - Performance Bike's Tirreno model. It was a 2006 that was retailing for $879 at Performance. I was able to get the bike, shoes my size, helmet, gloves, 4 pairs bike shorts, bike pants, 3 bike shirts, and a jacket all for $500. I really believe in Craigslist as I have bought and sold a number of items using this site.

After getting the bike, I went to the nearest Performance bike shop where the manager fitted the bike for me for free. He explained that one of the crucial elements in the size of the bike is the distance from the seat to the handlebars. I always thought that it was just the of the frame. The stem I had was too long, so he exchanged it for a shorter stem at no charge. Now the bike fits great.

If you do end up buying a bike that doesn't have the exact fit, there are things that can be done to make it work for you. And, as many others have stated on BT, the local bike shop is key to getting that correct fitting. Although I didn't buy my bike through the shop they were a great help, especially after learning that I was buying a computer and a trainer from the shop.

Kind of a long post, but wanted you to know that you can find a good bike at a decent price through other avenues that just the LBS. And if the bike isn't the EXACT size and fit you need, things can be done to make it work for you. If you do have a Performance Bike Shop near you, I highly recommend them.

One last note, when searching for bikes I did come across the Diamondback Podium 3. The bike was on sale for $800, which is less than the wholesale price $860. The retail price is about $1200. If this is of any interest to you, let me know and I can check if any are still left in stock.

MJ
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mndiver's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 8