in reply to: #625416

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas
Subject: RE: dodgersmom's Group - FULL

Okay, here is my highly ambitious race "dream schedule" for 2007:

PlayTri Aquathon (750m/5K) 04.21
12th Annual Metroplex Sprint Tri (800m/16.7mi/5K) 06.10
Heart O' Dixie Tri - Philadelphia, MS (750m/27.5mi/7mi) 07.21 (A)

Rockwall Sprint Tri (300y/14mi/2.9mi) 08.26
Flower Mound Run/Bi/Tri (5K/13mi/350y) 09.30

So the first race is 13 weeks away - I will just be up to that running distance, the swim is no problem. The Oly is what's really ambitious and it all depends on how my ankle is, but it's 26 weeks away. Am I crazy?

Okay, now I really am going to go for that walk. :)

Edited by MandiGayle 2007-01-16 2:26 PM

2007-01-16 7:49 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Always great to have one more in the group!  You guys have been pretty quiet lately...Hope all is good and you are all well.  I am totally comitted to a plan now.  If I don;t have anything logged (except for Fridays which is my off day), you all have my permission to kick my butt!!
2007-01-18 2:21 PM

User image

Wisconsin
Welcome to the group Mandi!

I know how frustrating it can be coming back from injury. Just make sure you don't ramp things up too fast, too soon.

Your race schedule doesn't look overly ambitious....I would say it looks more like fun. I would rather race a bunch of races than have only one or two big ones.

How has everyone's training been going? Are you balanced? (I'm not even close to being balanced!) What about daily nutrition...is that a problem for anyone, like it tends to be for me?

Happy Thursday-
Joy
2007-01-19 9:03 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Nitrition is ALWAYA an issue for me.  I am a certified carbaholic.  It's funny, I can keep away from sweets without a problem.  Gave up sodas almost a year ago and don't miss them at all.  For me, it's all about chips, pretzels, crackers...anything salty.  The only thing that works is to just not keep them in the house. 

I have made some changes like eating brown rice and wheat pasta.  I could eat pizza every day of the week and not get tired of it!

Anyone have any plans for the weekend.  I have a brick woukout tomorrow.  Since the weather is still supposed to be terrible here in north texas, it will be a run at the indoor track at the gyn (11 laps = one mile) and then the spin bike.

Not sure what Sunday is.  A long bike I think.  My temp tolerance is 50.  Lower than that, I won;t ride outside.  If I put a good movie on, the trainer does not seem that bad.  Last week I rode 2:15 while watching DaVinci Code.

Let's try to post more here.  Keep up with what everyone else is doing  

2007-01-19 12:07 PM

User image

Wisconsin
Nutrition is always a problem for me too....that's why I asked.
I understand nutrition, but at the same time I don't get it. For the most part, I eat very healthy. Very rarely do I eat out....and if I do it is Subway.

I have a sweet tooth, and think I would kill to satisfy it sometimes. I also like to eat from the time frame of 8-10 at night. If I stopped eating at 8 everyday, I think I would be a lot closer to my goal weight!

lately, I've been eating a lot more brown rice, chicken and veggies too...I have been cooking up a bunch of chicken breasts at a time, then shredding them and freezing them.
For a meal, all I have to do is dump the chicken in a pan, heat it up, add frozen stir fry veggies, and dump in a serving of brown rice that I usually mass cook as well. It's a good healthy meal in less than ten minutes. So especially good if you don't have much time, like me.

This weekend, I need to get a long run and ride in. Not sure when, or how long. I have been slacking on the bike....so I definitely need to get that in!

2007-01-19 8:01 PM

CA
I struggle with getting the right combinations of food. I LOVE fresh fruits and vegetables, so I don't usually have difficulty getting my daily dose of these foods (which helps lower my craving for unhealthy carbs). But I have a hard time getting enough protein throughout the day. I rarely drink sodas (I've been banned from caffeine and artificial sweetners) and have recently tried to reduce the amount of non-natural sugar, however, I can't resist a good glass of wine with dinner. I've recently signed up for the online Weight Watchers program and am required to log what I eat there. I like the nutrition log on BT since I get the full picture of nutritional value of my meals, but haven't had the time to log in both places.

It's still unseasonally cold here (and windy) so I think the rest of my training sessions this week will be done indoors. The pool I use was drained earlier in the week for maintenance but should be available Saturday or Monday. I still have yet to get on my mountain bike or run outside. C'mon weather. . . work with me!

I hope everyone has a good weekend and gets their training sessions in!

Susan

2007-01-19 10:19 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

One of the things I have tried to do is to plan my meals out.  We got in a really bad habit of not thinking about dinners until I got home from work.  Then, it would be..."What do you want for dinner?  I don't know, what do you want?"

Now, we plan our meals at least a day ion advance.  I also started taking my lunch to work.  For now I am taking the frozen lean cuisines but have had a problem with the MSG in them.  Next week it's going to be PB&J on wheat bread, cottage cheese, FF puddung and some type of fruit.

Cheaper and tastes better than anything our cafeteria serves.

Have a great Saturday!

2007-01-21 3:38 PM

User image

Wisconsin
Hey Marcy and the gang-

I have an idea for our group--to both keep us training and keep us in touch.
What do you think of having our own little group "challenge" for the week? The challenge could possibly change every week? Things like 'x' number of workouts, or so many swim yards, or so much time on the bike. Maybe even nutrition challenges, eating so many fruits and veggies, or stop eating after a certain time at night. (or both physical and nutritional).

Another idea would be that collectively as a group we have to reach a certain amount of workouts, yards, or miles (since we are all at different areas in training). We would all have to enter what we thought our totals would be for the week, then add them all up for a group total...at the end of the week see if we reach our goal.

We wouldn't be competing against each other, but more motivating each other to reach the challenge. I know the next two weeks are going to be very tough for me time-wise, so a little extra push to get my workouts in will be a good thing.

Just a suggestion, take it for what it's worth-
It's been snowing here all day, so I couldn't get to the gym to get my swim in

-Joy
2007-01-21 9:47 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Love it!  give me a day to put some ideas together!!
2007-01-22 10:42 PM

CA
Good idea, Joy!

Does anyone know if there are specific races designed for beginners? I was looking through the race logs of members who are signed up for the two triathlons that I am going to do (so far) and they are much faster than I am (most are younger and are men). Is there usually a time limit for completion or how patient are other racers with people who are slow?

I've just started reading "The Triathlete's Guide to Mental Training" which was talked about on another BT forum. It's interesting to me that I spend more time talking myself out of this than just doing the training and working on improving my speeds. I'll keep working on it. Does anyone else have this constant battle?

Susan
2007-01-23 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas

Howdy!

The challenge idea sounds great!

I'm pretty excited because yesterday I increased my walking distance to (2.5 miles + warm-up). I also discovered that I'm at a 13 min/mile pace. It looks like I'm a week ahead of my plan so I'll be able to start mixing in some running in 4 weeks.

So now I'm looking forward and actually thinking that I might be able to do the little 5k and swim race in April. This brings up a few questions for me since I've never done an ows. When should I try to do my first ows? How many should I get in before the race? What distances should I be swimming consistently to be prepared for the 750 meter distance? When I train 1,000 meters w/o stopping are no problem for me, and my workouts are usually 1,500-2000 meters, but I've only raced 400yard pool swims. I'm also looking into getting a swim safe belt. Anyone tried it? I think it would make me alot more comfortable mentally.

Edited by MandiGayle 2007-01-23 6:14 PM

2007-01-23 6:07 PM

CA
What are "ows"? What is a swim safety belt?
2007-01-23 6:14 PM
in reply to: #665538

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas

OWS = Open water swim (swimming in a lake or ocean as opposed to a pool swim)

The SwimSafe belt is a race-legal belt that you can wear during the swim that turns into a self-inflatable flotation device in case of emergency.  Obviously inflating it would disqualify the racer but it sure sounds like a good alternative to drowning!  You can check it out here: http://www.triaids.com/rp.html 

2007-01-23 6:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas

Susan, I know of some races in Texas - particularly at Tri festivals - that are for first timers. The title is usually something like "My first tri." I'll wager there are similar events in other states. You could look it up your area on www.trifind.com - they usually have good listings and descriptions of the events.

From my 2 experiences racing in local sprints I was surprised at how understanding and encouraging other racers and volunteers were to slow buggers like me. I was in the bottom 3 in my age group each race. People usually are super nice to slower racers as long as we are respectful and use proper etiquette. I think most courses have a cut off time, but it's nothing you can handle. I'm sure you'd be finished way before they would come for you!

I don't really like to compare myself or my times to others because everybody is in a different place. I know I'm not competitive right now, so I just had fun with my race and still met my own (slow) personal goals.

2007-01-24 5:13 PM

New user

TEXAS
Hi Guys,

As I posted on my log

"If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all"

Last week, Tuesday, I hurt my back lifting a patient at work, one of those "100 lbs soaking wet" patients at that. Hadn't been able to walk upright until Monday pm after seeing my Chiropractor for a followup visit. Tomorrow, my Dr says, I can start some slow short walks with the lumbar brace. If I do things right and watch it I should be back in full swing in a few weeks. There is just to much at stake to rush it, a few weeks off now is better than months later.

I really like the challenge idea. I think it will be a lot of fun and keep everyone motivated to get out there and do at least what you have scheduled or even push for bigger gains. Plus it will keep everyone posting more often. I like the idea of adding a nutritional segment to this also. Right now my biggest problem is drinking enough water. I try to shoot for 80 - 100 oz/day and I have been falling real short on that the last week.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Sonia

2007-01-25 7:36 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey Guys!  Mandi is right about beginners.  We all had a first race, and is you pick a local racs (as opposed to an event type race) you will be just fine.  My first race was a Danskin, all women and really geared to first timers.  Sally Edwards is the RD (race directror) and she is awesome.  She has written lots of books about running and tris.  She is always the last person across the line so noboy else can say that they finished last.  I know there is one in the LA area.  Check it out at www.danskin.com.  It was that races that got me hooked to keep racing.

I am thinking about a february challenge.  I think we should each post how many miles (ride and run) and yards we will try to do for the month.  No winners or losers (cause we are all winners) but just a personal challenge to do our best!

2007-01-28 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas

ok, my goals for February are

23 miles - walk/run

1000 yards swim

This is going to be fun!

2007-01-28 4:45 PM

User image

Wisconsin
Sorry about your luck Sonia~ I hope that things start looking brighter soon. It's never fun to be on the injured list...just make sure you don't rush back to things too soon.

I've also heard a lot of great things about the Danskin, although I've never done one. Honestly though, when it comes to triathlons, I think at any race you will feel welcome. I kind of feel like I have been a beginner three times now, due to injuries and such...everytime I have that "first" race, it has turned out just fine. Others will cheer you on during the run, and even on the bike at times. It doesn't really matter how fast/slow you are. Unless you are competing at the top of the pack, the races usually have a pretty relaxed and celebratory environment. If you have the right attitude going in, you will be just fine.

I'll have to think about how many miles and yardage I will put in during February...with the basketball season winding down, I should be able to get back to regular structured training. Hopefully anyways.

Have a great Sunday...and listen to Cross Canadian Ragweed....

Joy
2007-01-28 9:19 PM

CA
Despite my best attempts to sleep off my head cold/cough, it has worsened over the weekend. . . Sonia, I feel for you. . . just when you get momentum you get sick or injured!

My goals for this week are to do ALL of my scheduled training sessions, get on my real bike (not the stationary one), AND run outside. I've got some time afterschool in which to run the cross country trail. It isn't a full 5K, but will work for now. . . I can always add laps around the track (boring!).

I had planned on doing the Danskin as my first triathlon, but then found the mini-Sprint and another Sprint that advertises itself as "perfect for beginners". I still plan to do the Danskin, but the registration hasn't opened yet. I've heard wonderful things about this particular race.

What do most of you wear on race day? Do you race in your bathing suit? I would like to at least throw on a pair of shorts after the swim. Does anyone use a one piece tri-suit? How does that work getting the bike padding wet during the swim? Sounds uncomfortable.

Are any of you members of the USAT (or USTA?)? Some of the races I've been looking at require you to be a member. . . what's that all about? Is it more for serious triathletes?

Good luck to everyone this week! Have fun. . .
Susan
2007-01-29 12:16 PM
in reply to: #670798

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas

Sonia and Susan, I'm sorry you ladies are feeling bad! I understand too - my sinus infection from Thanksgiving hasn't completely cleared up yet. I'm going back to the ENT Doc tomorrow for him to do something invasive (gulp!). I'll be so glad when my nose is back to normal so I can swim!!

Here is what I know about the following:

USAT Membership
If you are going to do a few USAT sanctioned race in a season, I would encourage you to go ahead and do full membership, it might be less expensive then paying $9 at every race for a temporary membership, and you'd get the other benefits of membership as well.  I think most races these days are USAT. Though it is an organization for serious/elite triathletes, it is also for those of us age groupers who want to do a race now and then.

Race Day Attire
For my first two races, I just wore a pair of *black* bike shorts and a nike dry-fit sports bra. I had a mesh top that I could put on after the swim. It can be as simple as that. I would however recommend actual tri-shorts instead of bike shorts because the padding is a little different and it doesn't retain water as much. But, the time (notice the singular) I wore a swim suit under shorts on the bike I got pretty raw from the chaffing. I would strongly encourage you not to just throw shorts on over the suit - you might be in pain for a while!

Tri suits are designed to go straight from the water to the bike, so you don't have to put something on over a swim suit. I've never tried a 1-piece, but I'd like to get a 2-piece tri suit this season. I've heard pros and cons to the 1-piece. The biggest downside to women is having to take the thing off if you need to go to the bathroom.

Whether you will wear bike shorts or tri shorts I would highly recommend that you practice swimming in them a few times. The padding and length does feel different but it's nothing you won't get used to.

Edited by Mandi 2007-01-29 1:39 PM
2007-01-29 7:01 PM

CA
Thanks, Mandi!

2007-02-01 6:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas

How is everybody?  Haven't heard from y'all in a few days.  Are we going to do a February challenge together? 

I'm plugging away at my walking and will be able to run in 2.5 weeks.  Though I'm battling a sinus infection that has continued for the 3 months.  It looks like I might be having surgery for it in March.  So no swimming until I get all that cleared up.  But I'm hoping I can start biking a bit - even if it's just stationary. 

Keep at it.  Y'all are doing great! 

2007-02-02 12:03 PM

User image

Wisconsin
Sorry I've been slacking with the postings.
I'm hanging in there. I've had zero consistency with my workouts over the last two/three weeks or so. It's driving me nuts, but there's not much I can do about it. Basketball has been insane...it winds down this month. After it's over, I will feel like I have all the time in the world.

Now it's getting really cold here. I was supposed to run today (well, yesterday's run got postponed to today, because I was sore), but the windchill is 18 degrees below zero. There is a fine line between dedication and stupidity. So I contemplated it, and bagged the run. After going out to my car at lunch, I don't think I would have made it to the end of the parking lot had I decided to run. It is bone chilling cold.

Enough venting.

Are we up to a February challenge?

My goals for Feb. are:
Swim: 10000 yards (a bit of a stretch, seeing as though I managed maybe 3000 in Jan.)
Bike: 18 hours (all on trainer)
Run: 30 miles

All of those may be a bit of a stretch....I guess it's better to aim for the stars and miss then aim for the manure pile and hit!
2007-02-03 12:57 AM
in reply to: #677029

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas

the_energy - 2007-02-02 12:03 PM I was supposed to run today (well, yesterday's run got postponed to today, because I was sore), but the windchill is 18 degrees below zero. There is a fine line between dedication and stupidity. So I contemplated it, and bagged the run. After going out to my car at lunch, I don't think I would have made it to the end of the parking lot had I decided to run. It is bone chilling cold.

Have you thought about running on a treadmill?  

2007-02-03 5:02 PM

User image

Wisconsin
I hate running on the treadmill. Absolutely hate it. It is more of a mental workout for me than anything...I'm usually ready to call it quits in the first ten minutes!

Although last winter, I was training for my first marathon...and it was a weekend like this weekend (wind chills well below zero -20 or so) and I ran 13 miles on the treadmill. It was a horrible experience....I watched "must love dogs"---funny how I can remember that.

I don't think I have been on a treadmill since.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dodgersmom's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 5