2006-12-15 5:46 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: kenail's Group - FULL
Happy to help

User Name: kenail

First Name: Ken

Story: I'm 47, and have been active since my mid 30s, when I started running. Over the past 12 years or so I've run 8 marathons (MOP, with one time under 4 hours). I started swimming about two years ago, then gave tris a shot and was hooked!

I haven't done a huge number of races, since this season was interrupted by knee surgery. But I'm back training hard, currently at about 8-9 hours a week, with a goal of competing in the Eagleman 70.3 in June, and doing about 3-4 other shorter races. I'm working with a coach for the 1/2 IM, which has given me some new insights into training.

Weight loss: Over the past year I've dropped about 15 pounds while training, and feel fitter than ever.

Family Situation: Married, 1 son, 1 labrador.

Edited by kenail 2006-12-22 3:24 PM

2006-12-19 1:03 PM
in reply to: #625460

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: kenail's Group - OPEN
Ken,
I am interested in Joining your group. I have run a few marathons and done one olympic triathlon this past year. My goals for next year are to do a few sprints and complete the Ironman 70.3 in May. I saw you were training for Eagleman in June and am interested in what your coach has been saying. I am going to start my full training for FL 70.3 in January when I return from Disney Marathon. Looking forward to being part of your group.
2006-12-19 3:30 PM

User image

New user

Ken: - this sounds like the group for me...

I'm 53, a physician (psychoanalyst working with kids, teens, and adults), married with two late teenage daughters, and had a hip replacement in Aug 2005 for chronic(er) arthritis. While always sort of an exerciser - when I was anticipating my hip replacement I met a now-good-friend who's a seasoned IronMan veteran. He, in turn, connected me to a trainer who I've been working with for over a year now, and all this led me to set as a rehab goal doing a 1/2 Ironman aquabike (swim and bike only) last August. Well, I did that (Steelhead - great race) and was also able to do the swim and bike at 2 sprints, and do a complete Olympic distance (walking the run part.) I'm enjoying the training, hope to do 3 or 4 tris and a century bike ride or two this coming season. Have discovered, too, that chamois creme is probably the most helpful bike accessory around.

Currently, I'm training 6 of 7 days a week - doing a masters swim group early mornings 2 or 3 mornings a week (I'm among the slowest of the slow, here), biking indoors with a fluid trainer and Powertap 3 days a week - one hour for two of the days, and abut 90 - 120 minutes for the third.
I do core work, and leg work for about 1/2 hour on one of the swim days and one of the bike days. Probably the thing I like best about this kind of working out is that it is constantly a challenge, and with specified workouts I have a specific goal each day.

My weight is 155 - 160 - and I've struggled to get it back to 155 for the last several weeks. Too many nuts, I think - and that doesn't refer to my patients.

I've found it great to work via the Internet with my trainer - he emails me workouts weekly; we converse by phone every couple of weeks, and by email as needed. The challenge has been trying to figure out what and how to allow for my fake hip - walking and biking and swimming are not problems - but jogging is very hard; I've only now really been able to jog across a street to avoid being hit by a car. I'm interested in ChiRunning as a possible way to start running a little again, but I'm also cautious about this.

So that's about it, my wife is also a physician, and pretty tolerant of my training and supportive of my few races. My oldest daughter was a field hockey player, and played rugby this past fall, until blowing out her knee, and is now awaiting an ACL repair in January. Jeez. My younger daughter is hot on the college trail, a musician and ballet dancer.

Tough company to keep.

I look forward to our discussions, hope I can provide something useful and not just take, and wish all a wonderful holiday season
2006-12-20 6:44 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Great to hear from both of you!

Sorry I wasn't a bit quicker getting back to you, but I was on jury duty for the last two days...

Look for a personal message from me, and fire any questions you may have my way. I'll be happy to give you my two cents worth.

Ken
2006-12-20 10:19 AM
in reply to: #628722

User image

New user

Ken - I glanced at your training log, and was most impressed - seems like your out there, and very committed. I am a bit jealous of your running, haven't taken it on, yet.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with ChiRunning or TotalImmersion swimming. I've been through the TI books, and have tried to incorporate some of that in my swimming (I used to be a lifeguard and waterfront director oh so many years ago, then really relearned how to swim as I started training these past two years. I find, though, that sometimes the TI drills get in the way of my doing stuff in a manner that my Masters swim coach doesn't agree with, so I end up sort of switching technique, which not only confuses my mind, but also my body. I am set up for a TI workshop in January.

ChiRunning and Walking are things I've just read about - I'm hoping whatever techniques they are will allow me to minimize the impact on my hip, and allow me to run without wearing out the hardware. Again, anyone have advice?

Thanks, and best of holidays!
2006-12-20 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Boy, those are topics that come up a LOT around here...

I don't have any personal experience with either technique. Any swimming technique I'm fortunate enough to possess comes courtesy of my Master's class training. The main elements I've managed to pick up there have been developing a good body rotation and straight arm entry (that is, not "crossing over").

Likewise I know very little about Chi running and the like. I'm not averse to working on my running technique -- since I'm naturally a bit bowlegged it pays for me to concentrate on a smooth stride. The biggest things that have helped me there are a couple of tips from my coach:

1. Work on a faster cadence, around 85-90 steps per minute (count one side). This keeps my stride a bit shorter and causes less impact and wobbling around.

2. Keep my arms lower, and don't cross them across my body when I run. Moving the arm across the body causes a wobbling reaction that makes my legs kick out and decreases efficiency. Just imagine that you're extending your hand in front of you like you're starting to shake hands and you get the idea of the correct motion.

These tips have helped me lessen impact and run more efficiently.

As for my training consistency -- thanks. I owe it to my coach's plans, and to working hard at the beginning to develop good habits. Getting up at 5 AM almost seems natural now! As the quote goes "Habit is either the best of servants or the worst of masters."

2006-12-20 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
jacksonville, FL
I would like to join your group as I am new to the whole tri area I have tons of questions to ask

Screen name is m1sh4p my real name is Andrew Ia m from Rockford, IL

I am new to the sport of triathlons but not new to sports. I ran ross country and track in highschool as well as dove for 2 years and swam for 1. I continued my running to college at a d1 school which I loved but hated the coach which turned me off from my running and I stopped. That was my freshmen year of college. It has been about 4 years since I have done any working out besides lifting weights every now and again. About 2 months ago I decided I want to put my sports talent to the test and I want to do tri's and I want to do well. I have been training to get myself back into shape for ym training program that starts in January. I am going tof ollow the 1/2IM beginner training program.

I work full time and in the fall I went to school full time while training, I am taking a break for the spring semester from school so I can work and train full-time. I have a girlfriend who is very excited to see me do this and is very supporive of my training. I would like to join this group to have someone keep me motivated, maybe help with training tips, and so I have someone I go to for all my questions =)

My goals for 2007 are
April - sprint
May - sprint
June- oly
July - oly
August - 70.3 in St. Joseph, MI

Thanks much!

Edited by m1sh4p 2006-12-20 2:39 PM
2006-12-20 9:42 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Happy to help however I can, Andrew. Looks like you have a great foundation to start from.

Funny how triathlon can bring together such different backgrounds -- rather than having done sports in my "early years" I didn't do anything until my 30s when I started running.

Fire away with questions whenever you've got them!
2006-12-21 2:34 PM

New user

Columbus
Hello all. My name is Nikki and I am a new member of BT and would like to join this group with all of you. I'm 22 and live in Columbus, Ohio (GO BUCKS!).

I grew up swimming my entire life, through local pools, Y's and clubs and even in college, from which I just recently graduated from this past June. I am now coaching an age group swimming program, (AND I know about the TotalImmersion swimming program, so I can attempt to answer questions or anything related to swimming, since that's my background sport. I actually swam under a coach in high school that was involved in the TI program since it's begining.)

My Training: This fall I have been working up to be able to run, but recently have been experiencing some nagging pain in my knee. Before I was training to run, I barely could run more than two mintues, so I've come far in the past few months and now am able to run a mile, alebit very slowly. I can keep about a 12:30-45 pace pretty comfortably, but would like to get down below 10.

I've never really biked besides growing up or on the stationary, and I don't have a bike right now to use.

I'm still in the process of developing a training plan, so if anyone has tips let me know. But I'm thinking 5-6 days a week depending on my schedule. I'm a pretty competitive person and like to push myself. I'm going to start training in January after this holiday maddness finishes, although I'll enter whatever I'm doing between now and then.

my blog: http://triathleteinnocence.blogspot.com/

I'm just looking to train for a sprint in June and see how things go. I've never raced a tri before, so all this is new to me. Maybe I'll make it up to a oly distance, but i think most of that is contigent on the running leg.

Looking forward to the season and getting to know everyone!
-Nikki
2006-12-21 3:04 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Welcome aboard and best of luck. Your swimming background is great, and takes you right past a hurdle that many triathletes have some trouble with. You'll get the running part, don't worry -- the key is consistency and not trying to do too much too soon.

If you can or wish to, start recording your workouts on the training log. Not only is it a really nice tool, but it's a great reference for when you have training questions.

Ken
2006-12-21 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
jacksonville, FL
welcome to the group!

2006-12-22 12:18 AM

User image

Expert
Michiana
Ken and the rest of the squad.

My name is Brian and I'm not yet addicted to working out... "Hello Brian"

I'm sort of new to Triathlons. I actually did my first in the summer of '88 (WHAT?!?!?) before going away to college. It was a 1k,40k,10k race. Since then I never got REALY out of shape but also have never been consistent. In July of '02, I decided to sign up for the Chicago Marathon - with no running base. So I jumped into Hal Higdon's plan and plugged away at the miles (no HRM, no watch, just did the miles). I finished in 4:30 feeling great. Then the strangest thing - I didn't run for another 3+ years. I guess it burned me out. From 2002 to 2006 I focused on work too much and got out of shape. Not really heavy (180lb / 5'10"), but I had to buy bigger pants .

This past March, I decided I needed to get motivated again. I need a goal to work towards. So I signed up for a sprint in June and Oly in July. I bought a bike (Specialized Transistion Multisport). I trained pretty hard and felt great. Swimming was a challenge but I slowly made progress. Initially, like so may other beginners, I was winded after 25 meters. Amazingly after a few months was ticking off sets of 100m. I finished the June sprint after an 18 year break from triathlons. See RR.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I then focused on the Olympic and in the meantime signed up for the Twin Cities Marathon. At this point I was about 165lbs and feeling very good, but still struggling with the swim.

I found tri-training made running a whole lot more fun. I never got to do the Olympic, because I was in the middle of changing jobs and moving with my wife and two kids from Minneapolis to South Bend, IN. I did manage to sneak some runs in (about 2 per week, never missing the long runs) and finished the Twin Cities Marathon in 4:00:36 - damn those 36 seconds!!!! Another RR link:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

So, where I need help... Swimming, consistency throughout training, staying focused and not burning out (BT is helping with this).

Short term - I'm really working at the swim and may sign up for a weekend camp in Feb.
I'd like to get leaner (160lb) to get more efficient on the longer distances. I've been between 165 and 18 for the past 15 years, so we'll see if 160 is attainable while maintaining strength.

I don't plan on doing a lot of races but have some lofty goals:
Flying Pig 1/2 marathon in May '07 in under 1:45 (1:52 was my 13.1 split at TCM)
Whirlpool Steelhead HIM in Aug '07 under 6hr
NYC Marathon in Nov '07 (3:45) - Marine Corps if I don't get a lottery spot
IMLP in 2008

Big, scarey goals...
Boston Qualify - not sure about this one...
Kona

Other stuff:
36 years young
3-time Marathoner wife (Chi '04, Duluth '06, Chi '06) - She rocks!!!
Two awsome kids (6 and 3)
I work 50-60 hours a week - I'd rather be spending time with the fam.

Edited by mbmoran2 2006-12-22 12:38 AM
2006-12-22 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Welcome aboard -- glad to have you. Nice to see you've got some solid experience under your belt!

Jump in any time with questions, comments, etc. Feel free to post here, or send a private message if you want.

Ken
2006-12-27 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: Happy post-Christmas, everyone!
Hope everyone has had a happy holiday season so far -- any plans on tap for those of you in the group?

And as always, fire away with any questions you may have. Post them here, or send a personal message -- either way, stay in touch and best of luck!

Ken

Edited by kenail 2006-12-27 3:53 PM
2006-12-27 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: kenail's Group - FULL
January 7th I start my 1/2IM training program that I pulled from this site I am excited and I just got a new bike to =) used some christmas money for it, it is pretty.

Edited by m1sh4p 2006-12-27 4:04 PM
2007-01-08 9:23 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Hey group!

How's everybody doing so far this year? I'm anxiously awaiting a race report from jteddy39.3 on his race at the Disney World Marathon -- hope it went well for him down there.

I've been fortunate to have had mild weather so far this winter in Virginia so I've gotten a lot more cycling in outside than I could have hoped for -- had a nice 2 hour ride on Sunday morning -- a little brisk (in the 40s) but a good time all the same.

Pass along any questions or comments you've got, and don't be afraid to address them to the entire group -- we've got some pretty varied expertise here!

Ken

2007-01-09 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey group:

Race report is up for Disney Marathon 2007.

Starting my Half Ironman training today. Got into the pool and did a light swim trying to get the soreness from Disney out.

Does anyone know of any good drills to work on fully exhailing while in the water. I have noticed that when I come up for air I am still exhailing prior to inhailing and feel as though I am not getting enough air which leads to the feeling of hyperventalating.

Hope everyone's training is going well.

Jeff
2007-01-09 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Nice report! Sounds like you hit it about like you thought you would.

As I said before, I ran Disney back in the 90s -- glad to hear it's still fun. Many of your highlights (like running through the Magic Kingdom) were the same as mine -- though the Animal Kingdom wasn't built yet.

As to your swim question. How often are you breathing (as in every 2, 3, or more strokes)? Getting good control of your breathing has been key to my getting comfortable in the pool. If you can, try doing some sets where you breath less often and that might help. Most times I hit the pool I'll do a set something like this: swim (with pull buoy) 200, breathing every 3 the first 25, every 5 the next 25, then repeating back to 3 and building back up. As you get better, add strokes -- if I'm having a good day going I can get up to 9 or 11 strokes on a breath.

Anyone else have a similar issue or a suggestion?

Ken
2007-01-16 8:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Hello Group,
Ken and I both worked on Nutrition on the bike this past Sunday and I thought I would bring it up in the group and open it up for discussion. I am training for HIM in May and am going to try different things while on the bike to get my nutrition down. Couple of questions for the group:

- What products or food do you bring on the bike?
- When do you know when to consume products?
- How have you practiced nutrition while training
- For those who have done IM or HIM, do you bring all that you are going to use on the bike or
do you rely some on what is provided at on the course?

2007-01-16 8:55 AM
in reply to: #656078

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Thanks for bringing this up -- it's a great topic, with a lot of different views out there. One thing I think every expert agrees on is to "practice your nutrition." In other words, don't try something new on race day -- see what works ahead of time. I'll throw my two cents worth in on each question:

- What products or food do you bring on the bike?

Currently, I'm using PowerBar Endurance sports drink http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=18232&subcatego...
It's a bit light on the calories, so I mix it a bit strong -- 280 calories/bottle. I also carry gels (usually Clif shots - chocolate) - 100 calories each.

- - When do you know when to consume products?

Most agree you need about 300-500 calories an hour on the bike during a half or full IM. I set my watch timer to remind me to drink every 12 minutes (5x/hour), and have a gel in the middle of the hour. I stick with the schedule right from the start, shooting for about 400 calories/hour

- How have you practiced nutrition while training?

Pretty much what I described above. When I'm on a long ride I stick with the schedule. It's worked well so far on ride of up to 2-1/2 hours.

- For those who have done IM or HIM, do you bring all that you are going to use on the bike or do you rely some on what is provided at on the course?

That's a good question, and one I haven't figured out yet. It's actually a question I need to consult with my coach about. Speaking of which, she recommends InfiniT (infinitnutrion.com) -- I may give that a try. I know it works for her -- she's qualified for Kona about 3 times.
2007-01-19 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana
I don't have experience over 35 miles on the bike, so please pass on what you learn nutrition-wise. I am planning on the Steelhead HIM in August.

I don't have a trainer but starting to think it may be necessary given my geography if I'm to get serious about Tri's. Any advice you guys have would be appreciated. I love the idea of a Computrainer, just can't justify the $$ yet.

Kudos to jteddy39.3 for the Disney accomplishment - The Goofy is some feat!!

2007-01-19 12:31 PM
in reply to: #660818

User image

Veteran
mbmoran2 - 2007-01-19 1:19 PM

I don't have a trainer but starting to think it may be necessary given my geography if I'm to get serious about Tri's. Any advice you guys have would be appreciated. I love the idea of a Computrainer, just can't justify the $$ yet.

I have a CycleOps Mag + Trainer with adjuster that was about $175. I started using it more this week and find that I do get a good workout on it when it is too cold or dark to head outside.

I am in the same boat as you were a Computrainer would be great but can't afford the costs.

2007-01-19 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Here's a good deal on a trainer. Go down the page to the Minoura 850D. About $110. I've got one; it's solid and dependable.

http://www.ageebike.com/Opening.htm

I think the key to the nutrition element is finding what works for you, as long as you get in around 300 calories/hour. No problems with the sport drink/gel combos yet for me, though I may experiment a bit as my training progresses.

2007-01-22 5:28 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana
Subject: Rest Days
What are the thoughts on rest days? My plan usually has 1-2 days each week with no training. This is either for fatigue, work/life/train balace or both. I notice Ken, that you've gone 2 weeks without a break and only one day off for the whole month of January.

I can envision getting to the point where if I have the time to work-out, I will, because odds are pretty high that there will be a day that my schedule doesn't permit it.

However, until my base level of fitness allows for more, I probably will still keep 1-2 rest days in the plan for each week. Perhaps I'll try to get something in everyday and if I nail M-F, I allow myself a day off Saturday or Sunday.
2007-01-23 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
I think there are two issues to address here. The first is frequency of training -- in other words, what you have scheduled. Let's start with that:

Virtually everything I've ever read about training has stressed the importance of rest days and taking time off. Then I started working with my coach, and she only occasionally gives me days off. I was pretty surprised about that -- here I am, only a few months out from knee surgery, and she has me doing something every day -- aren't I supposed to rest?

After a while her approach made sense. Although I was training every day, several of these were very "easy" days. At the time, that might mean a 15 minute run, with about 1/2 of that walking. As I started getting stronger the duration of my workouts has increased, but there are still lighter days -- but now they're more like 45 minute runs or 1 hour trainer. I've been able to exercise frequently because I've built up to it gradually. In addition, you'll notice that the total time in a week drops down every two or three weeks, for a bit of a "rest."

I don't think there's a right or wrong, it's just my coach's philosopy in training someone for an endurance event -- so far it seems to be working for me. I have to admit that I'm surprised at the volume I can handle now, but the key has been the steady, continual increase.

Issue two is missing workouts - what to do when life intrudes:

I think most people agree that you're going to miss something -- family, travel, illness -- stuff happens. My coach's advice to me has been to "juggle your schedule a bit to make things up if possible, but don't go crazy."

One or two missed workouts over the long haul aren't going to make that much of a difference, as long as you don't get into a bad habit!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenail's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 4