BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gearwhore/himself Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-02-04 1:10 PM
in reply to: #631977

User image

Subject: RE: Gearwhore/himself Group - FULL
Did you train today? I'll bet the guy you want to beat this year is out there training right now!

2007-02-04 7:12 PM
in reply to: #678758

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Yep - I did a 7mile run on the treadmill.

Would have run outside but it was about 17 and we had a goof 4 inches of snow.

My wife had part of her tooth fall out last night, went to the dentist and had to have an emergency Root canal which cost $3,500, thank god medical insurance pick up 80% of the bill up to $2,000. All I can do is think the part we pay is 50% of the Felt B2 Tri-Bike I woudl like...8-(

2007-02-05 6:47 AM

User image

DID YOU HEAR THE COLTS WON LASTNIGHT!!!!

SWEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2007-02-05 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA

Hey guys,

Sorry I have been distant the past week or so. Just wanted to let all of you know I am still here and still training. I am back on the boat now with the thread and will start sending out inspires shortly. Things have just been a bit hectic around here. My 20 week 3x balanced plan starts today so I will be going at it pretty hard up until the actual triathlon.

As for the football game I say the Colts will win Wink

Cartoons I used to watch a cartoon called Banana Man when I was young and lived in England. I also watched Scooby Doo. Now a days its either Simpsons or Family Guy.

So Adam/Ryan,

This may be a stupid question but I was thinking about this while running today after my ipod took a sh*t. What is the chemistry behind training constantly for endurance and then being able to go balls to the wall when race time comes? I know the endurance training enables you to keep going for a long period of time. Does this at the same time enable you to go a lot harder when the time comes without "maxing" out? I'm not sure if I am asking this correctly.

2007-02-05 1:05 PM
in reply to: #679354

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
AJ - You raise a very interesting question.............I think what you are saying is if you run train at 10 minute miles for endurance how can you then race at 8 min miles?

Here is my advice, and I am sure Ryan and Adam will correct it afterward. The long endurance sessions are to build base i.e no way you should go balls to the walls on no base you will get injured read my post last Sunday when I went running with my coach. Yesterday was the first day since this run I have not felt any pain since...

When you have the base, you should then start integrating into your schedule faster sessions but never sacrifice your slow sessions. I think most of the BT programms for each discipline have this 1 slow long session, 1 medium faster session and then 1 short fast session per week. By doing the shorter faster sessions will improve your strength and speed. Also the BT programms have careful step ups every week so you should be good to go and start improving.

Anyone got anythiong else to add?
2007-02-05 1:25 PM
in reply to: #679354

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
ajfoster02 - 2007-02-05 7:22 AM

So Adam/Ryan,

This may be a stupid question but I was thinking about this while running today after my ipod took a sh*t. What is the chemistry behind training constantly for endurance and then being able to go balls to the wall when race time comes? I know the endurance training enables you to keep going for a long period of time. Does this at the same time enable you to go a lot harder when the time comes without "maxing" out? I'm not sure if I am asking this correctly.

I think I get the question.  Understanding that I'm not an exercise physiologist, let me take a crack at an answer, and then if you have follow up questions we can discuss more.

First, you are training for and will race an "endurance" event.  The primary physiological skill/component of triathlon racing is endurance.  I think some people are under the misconception that you train aerobically and increase your endurance, and then go out and "sprint" for over 2 hours in an Olympic distance triathlon.  Trust me, there's no sprinting involved in an event that lasts over two hours.  Even the term "sprint" triathlon is a misnomer, there's no sprinting involved in those either.

I think this miconception comes from an over-emphasis on the distinction drawn between "aerobic" and "anaerobic" activity (which literally means in the presence or lack of oxygen).  Many people are under the impression that in a race setting they are pushing anaerobic levels of activity.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  In any event that lasts more than 10 seconds, you are primarily (if not exclusively) engaging in an aerobic activity.  That's true of everything from a 5K to a marathon, and a Sprint Triathlon to an Ironman. 

The point being that "balls to the wall" or just cruising at a comfortable speed, your body is still processing oxygen to fuel your physical activity.  Accordingly, doing workouts at "anaerobic" levels is unnecessary and mostly a waste of time for the endurance athlete.

So with that in mind, the primary purpose of all training for an endurance athlete is to increase the capacity of your body to sustain moderate to high levels of effort (relatively) for as long a period as possible.  The basic components are simple endurance, cardiovascular efficiency (capacity to take in and effectively use oxygen) and muscular endurance (the capacity of your muscles to exert maximal force over long distances - in other words, go fast and long instead of just go long). 

Then the question is why not go out and go as fast as you can as long as you can each and every workout?  The simple reason is that your body cannot handle that much stress.  Your system has a limited capacity to absorb and endure high intensity training before you become injured, sick, or both.  So, while the theoretical perfect program would involve going out and maxing out your effort every day, the reality is that after about two weeks of that you would be injured, or so sick that you wouldn't be able to train for two weeks to a month.  In short, high intensity training is strong medicine and shoule be used sparingly to reach a peak of fitness that can only be maintained for a very short duration.

So the idea is instead to first build basic endurance, making workouts progressively longer.  During this phase you are establishing basic fitness, increasing general endurance, and preparing your muscles, bones and connective tissue for the higher stress levels to come.  After this fundamental component is built, you start adding in more intensity.  But sparingly at first, just to get your body accustomed to the harder/faster efforts and to build a little speed.  This is called the build phase, and it starts to prepare you for race intensity.  Then, with just about one month to go before the race, you do a series of really hard/fast workouts.  These workouts mainting endurance and fitness, but also build speed and increase your fitness to the highest level of the season.  Then you rest and recover to prepare for the best race possible. 

Does this make sense and get at what you're asking?

2007-02-05 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Yeah that covers the basis of the question. As for the "build" phase, when do you generally start something like that?  Would that be the month prior to the month before the tri or much sooner? With my training now I am just under the impressions that I will be doing the endurance training for the majority of that time period just to build my endurance up and just not sure when I should expect to speed things up. I don't want to injure myself and I really want to make sure everything is done properly. Thanks for covering that for me James & Adam.
2007-02-05 2:18 PM
in reply to: #679897

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Hey AJ - I completly fuc*ed my body up by the time I was 30 by the training I used to do. My method of training for Triathlon/running used to be based on going as hard as I could until I turned purple then backing off.

My nine year break from triathlon was more of a body issue than wanting to give up. in 1998 I got Major Imbalance Syndrome. One day I woke up and couldn't even walk to the train station. My Hamstrings had become so over developed from running and lack of a proper stretching routine & weights sessions that my knee blew up. I was lucky, the most common form of injury from this is a torn Archilles or back injuries. Took me thousands of pounds of physio and foot doctor visits and 12 - 18 months before I could run again and I lost all desire to compete anymore given the pain I went through.

Even now when I am at the tri-sqaud sessions I know I can kick most of the guy's ars*s running but just try to keep my self in check as I still wanting to be doing it next year.....

Keep up the good work buddy, remember "Rome wasn't built in a day" and you definitely don't want to get injured...

JG

2007-02-05 2:59 PM
in reply to: #679897

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

ajfoster02 - 2007-02-05 12:44 PM Yeah that covers the basis of the question. As for the "build" phase, when do you generally start something like that?  Would that be the month prior to the month before the tri or much sooner? With my training now I am just under the impressions that I will be doing the endurance training for the majority of that time period just to build my endurance up and just not sure when I should expect to speed things up. I don't want to injure myself and I really want to make sure everything is done properly. Thanks for covering that for me James & Adam.

The way you build a schedule is to basically pick your "A" race and build backwards.  So from your big Oly race, back out 7 days for taper, 3 weeks before that will be peak, one weak before peak is a recovery weak, 3 weeks before that is build - everything leading up to that is base.  Don't be too impatient to get there though, those workouts are very demanding and they can only be accomplished without risk of injury after putting in a solid base of training.

Just to add another thought about this thread - one of the hardest things to grasp about this sport is the amount of time and shear volume of training it takes to see big gains.  I think as a society we are terribly impatient, and we want instant results (not singling you out AJ, I mean everyone).  If you surf around BT you'll find all sort who have done one sprint triathlon and are now signing up for an Ironman.  There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but from a performance perspective it takes 3-5 years for your body to sufficiently adapt to be ready to really go out and race an Ironman.  And even then, most people will struggle through their first IM. 

I spent basically a whole season last year really just training long and slow.  I did a build and peak phase to race nationals, but I found out when I went to race the half ironman, despite all my loooooong bike rides and long swims and hard work that I wasn't really ready to race that distance.  I simply hadn't been in the sport long enough to go tackle that distance in a way that made me happy and proud of my effort.  And that was 18 months after starting triathlon!

The lesson is just to relax a little and take your time with this.  Big gains will come, but they have to be judged from a much larger perspective and over a longer period of time.  My first sprint triathlon a couple of years ago I ran an 8 minute pace in the 5K - two years later I ran a whole marathon faster than that.  But it took every bit of that two years for me to make that progress, and I worked smart and I worked very consistently.

I suggest to all you guys that you take a much longer view of triathlon.  I think this sport can be enjoyable for a lifetime.  Too many people come and go because they have a short, rapid rise to the longest distance possible, burn out, never reach their potential, and quit.  It's easy to always look at the next longest greatest race, but I think the better approach is to try and enjoy the training along the way and appreciate the changes that your body is going through.  One of the coolest things for me this year is to see where I started last year in comparison to where I'm starting this year, and dream about how much faster I could be in 3 or 5 years.  It's all building blocks.  At the same time, still the most fun thing for me is like yesterday, just to be able to get on my bike and go ride for 3 hours.  It is just cool to have the fitness to get on a bike and ride for a long time and feel fine afterwards. 

2007-02-05 7:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA

Definitely not looking for "instant results"... just looking for some sort of timeline on how those three aspects are supposed to play out.

Thanks for the info.

2007-02-05 9:18 PM

User image

The Triathletes Training Bible by Joel Friel is a must read. It really spells out the periodization technique that has proven to be successful time after time.

2007-02-05 10:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

I agree, read the Training Bible.  Great book.

And again, AJ, none of that was aimed directly at you, I was just adding thoughts that were relevant on the same topic. 

This stuff is hard, and having faith in a training program that you've never used before you've ever raced takes some trust and some patience.  Just stick with it and it will pay off.

2007-02-06 8:54 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Hi Guy's- Just noticed the Trainer I got for X-mas is on sale. See below link.

http://brandscycle.com/itemlist.cfm?name=Search%20Results&category=...

I got the Pro Trainer but the cheap one for $274 on sale will work well as the only difference is the Pro comes with an additional 12lb fly wheel for additional resistance which I haven't even used yet as the standard 6lb which would be on the $274 model is sufficent.

I find this trainer very quiet and easy to clip on and off. My tri-coach used it the other week and thought it was the best one she had used. Kurt Kenetic is a new brand as the guy that founded it used to be the head designer at Cycle Ops appreantly according to my bike shop dude he left Cycle Ops to set up his own company. The guy at the cycle shop swears by this brand and now only stocks them.

So if you are looking for a new trainer I would recommend this one.

2007-02-08 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Okay boys, sorry this took so long, but Ryan and I are returning to the run technique issues because we think this is so important that we wanted to flesh out each topic a little more thoroughly.  Here's the run technique outline from the previous post:
1 Forward lean (from the ankles, not the hips). 
2 Increase your cadence to 90+
3 Mid-body foot strike
4 Head slightly down, gazing forward 6-10 feet. 
5 Shoulders relaxed, arms swing naturally but tight to your sides, elbows driving to the rear. 
6 Torso rotation
Today's post is just about Point #1 - Forward lean:
I excerpted a lot of this from an article here on BT, which you can check out for yourself at: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=571
“Chi Running” teaches you to lean forward with the whole body (not just from the waist up), therefore letting gravity pull you forward as you run. According to Danny Dreyer, who invented Chi Running, this will help you use your muscles less and less, while using your ligaments and tendons more and more. This way you will burn less fuel, become more efficient and therefore run with less effort.

Pose Running “The Pose Method® considers Gravity as a major source for the forward propulsion of the running athlete. So the runners efforts should be aimed at assisting gravity. The main way of utilizing Gravity is to assume a special vertically aligned position on the ground (the running Pose), from which the runner is able to fall forward”.

Valid claims? Both Chi Running and Pose Method® claim that their techniques can help dramatically reduce the likelihood of injury. Here is why: by running in a more falling forward position, the effect that the pounding of your feet on the ground has on your back and legs is dramatically reduced (see Picture1 below). This is because when you run “falling forward,” the reaction force (red arrow) coming back from the ground hits your body (legs and back) in a non-perpendicular angle. The reaction force can therefore be broken up in two components: parallel and perpendicular to our spine (blue and green respectively). It is, I hope, easy to understand that for the same impact force (black vertical arrow) the reaction force affecting your body is much smaller when you run in a falling forward position (blue arrow) than it is when you run in an upright position (full red arrow). 

These are the same basic concepts taught by Bobby McGee in Boulder.  That is, allowing gravity to assist your running and pull you forward.  If you look around, most runners stand straight up and reach with their heal on the foot strike to catch their forward progress, thereby resisting gravity and expending more energy to go the same speed as a runner leaning forward and assisting gravity.  This is what I referred to in the original post as "propel and brake" or "leap and land."

I think the other effect of leaning forward slightly is that you have a reduced tendency toward "vertical displacement."  In other words, you aren't using energy jumping from foot strike to foot strike, but instead keeping your upper body calm and level, and using your energy to push you forward instead of up in the air.  Watch some runners and they look like they're running for height instead of distance.  Keep your body relaxed and under control, and try to avoid that bouncing up and down running style which just wastes energy - the forward lean should help in that regard.

Does it work?  Yes, but the results are not immediate and dramatic.  Like virtually everything with triathlon these changes in technique and improved efficiency take time and practice.  You shouldn't expect to go out and run faster immediately.  However, with consistent practice you can take advantage of an improved running technique in one of two ways: either by running slightly faster at the same heart rate or by running longer at the same pace.  In either case, we're really talking about improving your running through improved efficiency.  Dramatically?  No, not at first, but over time and with good practice this becomes second nature while also reducing the risk of injury.

2007-02-13 3:45 PM

User image

I hated to see our group fall off the first page ... what are you guys up to? I have blizzard conditions here in Indiana, no training outside for me. What sucks is that my dad is flying ( attempting) out to Hawaii tomorrow for 16 days and I am stuck here taking care of his house and dogs. Pretty cool though to see the Old Man take a big trip like this. He was the typical dad who never took a vacation anywhere ( he has never flown before). I am just glad he is healthy enought to enjoy his retirement years.

New survey!!! Who is the sexiest woman out there and why?

I couldn't narrow it down to just 1
1) Sheryl Crow - middle aged, free spirit and smoking hot body and hair

2) Kathlyn Kennedy - CNN reporter - she has the 'barbie doll" look wrapped up.

3) Helen Hunt - beautiful girl next door look, confident, and she looks good in a tank top ( remember Twister)
2007-02-13 3:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Hey There - We are about to get hit by the blizzard. Have been pretty much told to stay home tomorrow......sweet....We are supposed to get a foot of snow over night...

Sexiest Woman..

1/ Blonde Bimbo - I have always had a thing for Jenny McCarthy. Tall slim with big Boo*s and that real surfer girl look....

2/ Girl next door type - Denise Richards, she is a fox.

3/ Latest fad- I really like the tall dark haired girl out of the TV programme "How I meet your mother". Tall slim and ciomes across as pretty intelligent...

2007-02-13 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Training and taking care of my pregnant wife.  Baby's room is about done as far as paint, and now we just need to get the crib put together and some final touches done.  Probably done sometime this weekend.  Weather was good last weekend, snowing a little today and tomorrow, supposed to be good again this weekend (I hope so, I want to train outside again).

(1) Lucy Lu - I have a little thing for Asian women, and she is just smokin' hot.

(2) Heather Graham - she's my number one blonde.  Porn star hot, but acts like the girl next door, seems like a guys gal.

(3) Angelina Jolie - Just because she's nuts.  She would probably tear me in half in the sack, but I'd be willing to find out.

(4) Mischa Barton - just saw her in this flick "The Oh in Ohio" - bad movie, but I fell in love with her.

(5) Cate Blanchett - This is my pick for "nerdy" hot chic.  She's a great actress, seems very intelligent, and is still just silly hot.

I could easily make a Top 10, but I'll stop there for now.

2007-02-13 5:28 PM

User image

Expert
Denver

I've been a bit absent from the board, our group, and inspires in general lately. Getting slammed at work so not much free time to check in. However, I'm always up for a good conversation on the sexiest women. I'm not sure this is in any particular order as it changes frequently:

1. Olivia D'Abo - (older sister in The Wonder Years). Not sure why, but I think that girl is ridiculously sexy.

2. Heather Graham - N.A.U.G.H.T.Y.

3. Jordana Brewster - Have no idea where I saw her, and no good reason for liking her other than thinking she's just plain 'ol hot. Really, do I need another reason?

4. Kiana (of Kiana's Flex Appeal) - I don't think she has a last name. She doesn't need one. An Asian woman with monster hoots and completely toned body. Yes, please.

5. Gina Gershon - I have a thing for girls with dark hair. And I think this one's just nutso enough to go there, wherever "there" may be.

2007-02-13 7:52 PM

User image

I second the nod for Kiana ...
2007-02-13 9:21 PM
in reply to: #689772

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
himself - 2007-02-13 5:28 PM

"Olivia D'Abo - (older sister in The Wonder Years). Not sure why, but I think that girl is ridiculously sexy"

Oh yeah Ryan, I can tell you why, she is South African. I have travelled most of the world and I would say as a bit of a connisuer the average Sth African woman IMO are the most beautiful...probably why I married one 8-)

The opposite end of the scale is Swiss women, skinny bad skinned high maintenance..
2007-02-14 10:33 AM
in reply to: #689937

User image

Expert
Denver

jamesG - 2007-02-13 8:21 PM
himself - 2007-02-13 5:28 PM "Olivia D'Abo - (older sister in The Wonder Years). Not sure why, but I think that girl is ridiculously sexy" Oh yeah Ryan, I can tell you why, she is South African. I have travelled most of the world and I would say as a bit of a connisuer the average Sth African woman IMO are the most beautiful...probably why I married one 8-) The opposite end of the scale is Swiss women, skinny bad skinned high maintenance..

I didn't realize that (that she was S. African). Good to know. I usually have a thing for S. American girls. But now, maybe it's just girls from the southern hemisphere in general!

Swiss girls.......you mean like Martina Hingis? She's always looked to have bad skin and comes off as pretty high maintenance.

2007-02-15 2:53 PM

User image

San Clemente, CA
Sorry I have been so quiet around here. Just slammed at work. Still forcing myself to make time to exercise and balance the home life with your kids. Its all worth it though as most of you probably know and Adam is about to find out. Anyways I couldnt possibly pass up the chance to voice my vote for sexiest women around.

1) Shakira (If you saw the Grammys Im sure she is on your list too)
2) Angelina Jolie (Good Call Adam- you got great taste)

I have always been attracted to the slutty/sexy (Trashy) woman look and with that said I cant leave out
3)Pamela Anderson
4)Ana Nicole Smith -oh wait shes dead- does she still count? I mean pre fat days back when she modeled for Guess Jeans
2007-02-15 3:29 PM

User image

San Clemente, CA
Well I know I am a couple of conversations behind but wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Everyone was here bragging about there bikes a while back and I never had a chance so here you go.

My favorite bike was the one I owned back in college (Schwin Spitfire). It was pretty much a piece of sh#t but man that seat was comfortable. It was a girls cruiser that I scored at a garage sale for $5 and had it for the first 3 years of college. It was either that or walk. Rain or shine old reliable was there for me. It was pretty rusted up but that added to the character and didnt have to worry about getting it stolen. I had front row parking wherever I went. I would litterally pull up to the front of the bike rack, where all the other bikes where locked, get off my bike put down the kickstand and off to class I went. She was always there for me when I got out. After the 2nd year one of her pedals went out and I took her in to get fixed. The guy thought I was kiding when I told him I needed new pedals. After 3 years and many miles I had to retire her. Looking back I still miss her.

2007-02-15 7:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
http://www.masterstriathlete.com/Articles.html

Hey guy's check out this link, some very useful articles. I espically like the one on Strength on the cycling....

Registered for my first race today NY Duathlon April 1st, really excited run/cycle/run around Central park.

btw so cold here I am typing this in my basement wearing a hat and gloves and scarf......8-(
2007-02-16 10:50 AM
in reply to: #692445

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

jamesG - 2007-02-15 6:47 PM http://www.masterstriathlete.com/Articles.htmlHey guy's check out this link, some very useful articles. I espically like the one on Strength on the cycling.... Registered for my first race today NY Duathlon April 1st, really excited run/cycle/run around Central park. btw so cold here I am typing this in my basement wearing a hat and gloves and scarf......8-(

Thanks, that's excellent.  I just read the first link, but it was right on and great information.  I think everyone in the group should make an effort to read this stuff sometime this weekend.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gearwhore/himself Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11