BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Julia's Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2007-06-17 12:43 PM
in reply to: #661678

User image

Shoreline
Subject: RE: Julia's Group - Full
Well, I am on week 3 of a NASTY sinus infection. I went and swam again on Friday. I got a great workout (there was a gal in the next lane who wanted to race;]) but it was really too soon. I feel like poo unfortunately.

I am absolutely JONESING to get out and run and bike. This is very frustrating. Especially with the clock ticking.

I just bought a pair of SIDI Tri road shoes online and am very excited to get them. I haven't ever used cycling shoes. And my hubby bought a very fancy tri bike that I am going to try out and see if I might be able to make work for Danskin.

All I need to do now is GET BETTER!!!!

I love reading about everyones races. Makes me less nervous and more excited for my first tri.

Julia - I do have one question...what do YOU wear for a tri. A gal at the bike shop told me to just throw a pair of bike shorts on over my bathing suit, but the thought of trying to run a 5k without a bra on and in bike shorts, makes my eyes water.

Caycee

2007-06-22 9:29 PM

User image

Grafton, WI
Hey all!  I've got the packing gitters as I gear up for my race on Sunday.  Yeah...well prepared, did my first outdoor water swim tonight (unless you count dumping the canoe and the raft the past month!).  I actually rocked at it...no worries there.  I haven't done much running...but I'm going for the finish.  If I finish under 2 hours I'll be excstatic.  Well anyway thought I would wish everyone luck this weekend in their races and I'll let you know how it goes.  Oh yeah, during my class this week I found a miracle worker massage therapist that got me geared up for my race seriously in 10 minutes he made my pain go away 90%!  I'm going to see him for sure! 
2007-06-25 9:13 PM

User image

Grafton, WI
Hey...I made it and in one piece! About mile 16 on the bike I decided that I would lolligag it in because I was in a lot of pain and then stop...but my competitive nature never fails me and I decided I wasn't a quitter, so I thought, I can walk the 3 miles.  But, then again, I ran to a little over mile 2 and then my knee hurt and I told my P.T. that I would stop there....so I did. But, a 12 year old kid passed me by and I thought he would understand that I couldn't get beat by a 12 year old.  So I ran the last bit.  So I finished in 1:51.  My swim was 2 minutes faster (must be those gills...but I ran a lot of it because it was so shallow!) by 22 mile bike was a minute slower, and in the end I only finished a minute slower than last year. I have to kabosh the thought of what if I would have been totally healthy all this time? Damn, so much for training right?  I figure the training ride I had on Tuesday for a 8 mile bike ride out to the vball bar and having a few drinks and then biking home is about all I will do?    It was a challenge with the wind staying on my bike on the way home...Anyway, thanks for the support everyone!  It has been fun.... 
2007-06-25 10:20 PM

trYgrl,
great job on you race! i can't even imagine competing with injury or pain! good fo ryou for finishing and in a good time too!

well, I DID IT!! I completed my half Ironman. I am so excited, i'm really on a high right now. It was on saturday and I finished in 7:16:08. It was such an amazing experience, I'm so glad that I did it. I have been so stressed and overwhelmed lately. the past 2 months have been crazy with moving to another state, and all the stresses and projects that come with that, my hubby graduated from med school, started internship, and then just the daily demands of 4 kids under the age of 5, one of which has autism with extensive therapy schedules, has left me VERY little time to train properly for this race. I was really worried about even doing it, but i felt like i trained SO good for the months prior to the move and it paid off. i think i had enough of a strong base to do the race--not get to the podium... but just to finish in a reasonable amount of time. my goal was to finish between 7-7.5 hours, and i did just that.
I will try to write up a race report later on. i really want to write down everything about it before i forget the great details!
But, I felt great, my nutrition and hydration was perfect, and i am not sore at all. the only two things that are bothering me are a blister on my big toe, and the sunburn on my back--ouch!! i put sunscreen on my face, but not my shoulders/back that are exposed. ugh! next time...
anyway, thanks for all your encouragement and to julia for encouraging and mentoring me to this point. i'm so happy i did it, even though I feel like the fact that i finished, finished strong and have recovered with no soreness is a complete miracle!!
I am starving though, julia do you feel that way after a long endurance race? I swear, since saturday night i have just been famished ALL the time!! its like its finally hitting my body that it needs to re-fuel and re-coup!
i'm excited to do some more sprints this year, and i really want to do a marathon at some point. when the kids start school in the fall i'll have more time to set some good training goals.

Edited by trimomfour 2007-06-25 10:24 PM
2007-06-26 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

Sorry I'm such a slacker ladies...  It was a rough weekend and week.  A friend of mine and former employee passed away last week and it's been a little rough trying to get everything in - plus NATIONALS is this coming weekend!!

OK - Caycee - what do I wear??  I have 2 different tri suits that I wear.  Both are 2 piece and both have the same type of bottoms - tri shorts.  Tri shorts are basically like bike shorts, but they dry faster and they are made of a material that is better for swimming - plus the padding in the butt is a little lighter and dries quickly.  For the top I either wear my sports bra tri top (which is basically a sports bra type swim top) or I wear a men's sleeveless tri top with a sports bra under it.  I also have a tri tank that I train in quite frequently, but I don't race in it anymore.  It's basically a riding tank with a built in bra.  You can also just wear a sports bra for the swim and then throw on a bike jersey for the bike and run if that would be more comfortable.  I wouldn't recommend running in a bathing suit without a bra if it's uncomfortable!!  I could do it now, but I am hardly a B.  Pre kids I was a D and would have NEVER attempted this!

OK, so am I always famished - YES!!!  After long training days and especially after long races.  I eat for DAYS!!!  But also don't forget to drink.  Sometimes we forget that we need to replace electrolytes and water too.  Sometimes your body might be thirsty and you eat, but what you really need is some gatorade!  Also, don't forget some protein to help that muscle recovery  

GREAT job at the races ladies!!!  I'm proud of you all    

Keep up the great training!!

2007-06-27 9:33 AM

I am in need of serious motivation!
I was on such a high after my race on the 9th it kept me going for about a week and half but then all of a sudden I hit a busy week and now I can't seem to find the mind set to do anything!
You all may have heard of it, but maybe not with most of you being from the eastern slope of Colorado or out of state- anyways there is a 4 day Country jam festival here that friends and family attend each year(16th) we camp there so the eating level increases while the activity level decreases. SO I have not had much going on since last tuesday as far as gym or personal activity time! I am in a slump!
What do you all do to kick it back into gear?

Thanks for the help.
Diane

2007-06-27 10:57 AM
in reply to: #862415

User image

Master
Colorado

Diane&Mike - 2007-06-27 8:33 AM I am in need of serious motivation! I was on such a high after my race on the 9th it kept me going for about a week and half but then all of a sudden I hit a busy week and now I can't seem to find the mind set to do anything! You all may have heard of it, but maybe not with most of you being from the eastern slope of Colorado or out of state- anyways there is a 4 day Country jam festival here that friends and family attend each year(16th) we camp there so the eating level increases while the activity level decreases. SO I have not had much going on since last tuesday as far as gym or personal activity time! I am in a slump! What do you all do to kick it back into gear? Thanks for the help. Diane

Diane - I don't know if this would work for you, but what I do when I find myself hitting a little slump is I get up EARLY one morning, before everyone else and go for a run or a ride.  I find that by lunch time I feel great and refreshed and I remember why I love to exercise!!  Also, being surrounded by food is tough.  Try to eat LOTS of fruit and drink lots of water.  Hopefully that way you will feel full and not so hungry when the corn dogs and cheesecake come around   Remember it's FINE to take a week off and enjoy other things.  If you let it get to 2-3 weeks it becomes tougher to re-start a training program! 

Get back out there

2007-06-27 11:12 AM

User image

Shoreline
My brother is on a low-carb diet and he was expounding on the benefits of Green Tea. I was like "bleckkkk!!!", but saw a bottle at Trader Joe's and bought it for giggles. If I drink a glass about an hour before dinner time, I have no problem curbing my desire to go back for seconds during supper. I am well satisfied with smaller portions. So I went online to research the phenomenon and it turns out there is something in Green Tea that helps the body control glucose levels and curb appetite.

Not sure if that might help with the food problem. I know that is my biggest problem is how much food I eat. I stopped drinking wine about a month ago and dropped 5 lbs within a week.

I am finally back on track, went for a long run yesterday (10k) but 2 miles from home, my daughter decided she had lost all patience with her mommy and wanted to be carried. Once I got home, I noticed I was having a twinge in my achilles heel. As the evening progressed it got worse and worse until I was literally gimping around the house like a three-legged dog. It's a little better this morning but that is what I get for not stretching.

A girlfriend of mine just did an Ironman in Idaho. She finished 392 (I think) overall. As she crossed the finish line she collapsed and had to be taken to the hospital. Apparently her body just shut down. During the swim, some dude kicked her in the stomach and caused internal bleedind.....and she STILL FINISHED. It is unbelievable what some people can do....but I tell you, I have no desire to do those sorts of distances. She is fine now and home recuperating thank goodness.

Boy, listen to me ramble. Love reading everyone race updates.
2007-06-27 11:45 AM
in reply to: #862662

User image

West Richland
Awesome job on the races trYgrl and trimomfour!!  You guys did amazing, despite the setbacks of injury & busy schedule, way to go!
2007-06-27 11:46 AM
in reply to: #862662

User image

Grafton, WI

Caycee - 2007-06-27 11:12 During the swim, some dude kicked her in the stomach and caused internal bleedind.....and she STILL FINISHED. It is unbelievable what some people can do....but I tell you, I have no desire to do those sorts of distances. She is fine now and home recuperating thank goodness. Boy, listen to me ramble. Love reading everyone race updates.

Holy cow...now that is tough!  I watched a few friends finish the half ironman this weekend (trying not to feel sorry for myself that I wasn't doing it) and it just amazed me how strong some people are.  It comes down to mental toughness in the end...something I don't have unless I have a coach.  I saw Dick Hoyt speak before the race and it was very inspiring.  Guessing he has to be in his mid 60's and he still does HIM and he carts his son around.....it is just amazing.  Ricky Hoyt actually graduated from I believe it was BU and lives on his own.  I hope that I can just reflect a bit more on that, how lucky I am and motivate myself to do things for others.  I'm signing up to volunteer for Ironman WI, figure that should be inspiring too.  My husband finally made a comment about, oh, I guess we can just put off ever having a family.....Ugh...I'd love to do Ironman next year!  I guess first I have to get healthy and do a HIM. 

Green Tea works....I'm not so sure about the cutting wine out though.  There are a few indulgences that I have that I would not want to totally cut out!  I just eat all day, I'm lucky like that...that also helps.  Best of Luck everyone...Julia, you rock at Nationals!  I'm off onto another vacation for 2 weeks, so I will be out of touch. 

2007-06-28 10:01 AM

User image

Grafton, WI

2007-06-28 11:36 AM

hey julia, is nationals the race at hagg lake this weekend? its close to where we live, i may try to swing out there saturday. GOOD LUCK!!!
2007-07-02 9:42 PM

Trimomfour, I dont know how you did it, how do people pack in so much with so little time, congrats on your race! That´s wonderful.

I´m in Peru for the summer, where I am now is 9000´above sea level, we´re moving up to 15000´soon! I have no experience with this sort of elevation and my head hurts. BUT I brought my running shoes!!!!!! If I can run without passing out, I might have an advantage when I return to sea level for my Sept 9th marathon.

I´ll keep checking in when there is internet, I´m so excited for everyone and want to hear about people´s races.
2007-07-02 10:49 PM
in reply to: #864441

User image

Master
Colorado

trimomfour - 2007-06-28 10:36 AM hey julia, is nationals the race at hagg lake this weekend? its close to where we live, i may try to swing out there saturday. GOOD LUCK!!!

YES, it was at Hagg lake!!  Did you get down there to see it??  It was GREAT weather and a great day!!  I had an OK showing - not in the top 20 like I wanted, but top 25, so I'm not disappointed.  I'm hoping to find out this week if I get a roll-down spot for Team USA and Worlds!!  My race report is up   THANKS!!!

Edited by juliapurr 2007-07-02 10:50 PM
2007-07-03 8:44 AM

Hey Julia Great job!
I always like reading your race reports-so much energy. This one was slightly not you can sense you are tired-and trained. Hope you get your rest and the results for worlds.
YOu still amaze me your determination and desires! I just can't believe the lengths(travels) you go to to race. Have you ever raced outside the country? It seems you travel to east coast and west coast, Where do you find you do better?
You are awesome - thanks for sharing your races.

Diane
2007-07-04 10:10 AM
in reply to: #870190

User image

West Richland

Great job at Nationals Julia! Diane is right, you can tell from your race report that you were somewhat tired, BUT like you said it's clear that you did the best you could on that particular day, which was still damn fast and a solid race after a season full of tough races. Here's hoping you get a spot for worlds, that would be awesome!

Hope all you USians are having a fun and restful 4th (and francisjade hope you are still having fun in Peru Smile ) I got caught up and posted a really long race report from my race last Saturday, it was a total blast. Now I just have to figure out what race I want to do next!

2007-07-06 11:53 PM
in reply to: #871748

elelen - 2007-07-04 10:10 AM

Great job at Nationals Julia! Diane is right, you can tell from your race report that you were somewhat tired, BUT like you said it's clear that you did the best you could on that particular day, which was still damn fast and a solid race after a season full of tough races. Here's hoping you get a spot for worlds, that would be awesome!

Hope all you USians are having a fun and restful 4th (and francisjade hope you are still having fun in Peru Smile ) I got caught up and posted a really long race report from my race last Saturday, it was a total blast. Now I just have to figure out what race I want to do next!

Great Job Elelen!!
I loved your race report -I felt your smile when you looked at your watch to see 1:30. All your hard work paid off tremendously. GOOD JOB. Whats next?
Congratulations-your excitement is contagious, I want to do another!
Diane
2007-07-08 3:46 PM
in reply to: #875435

User image

West Richland

Thanks Diane! I'm not sure what I'm going to do next, there is an Olympic tri around here at the beginning of September, so I think I'm going to keep on training and see if I feel ready for it by then. I want to do another sprint but I'm having a hard time justifying spending the money for entry fees & travel. I am in the "help me, I can't stop buying gear!" phase.

In fact, I just bought a road bike yesterday! It is a blast, so much faster and more responsive on turns then my mountain bike. I did fall over like an idiot the first time riding around with the clipless pedals, even after practicing clipping in and out first. I'm sort of a klutz so I knew it would happen eventually, but the first ride out? I need to put a sign on my handlebars "UNCLIP FIRST THEN STOP"

2007-07-08 4:01 PM

Elelen, At least it was on the first ride and not during a race. LOL
Wow going to Olympic length that is impressive. I want to do another but think sprint is the way to go for me.

I keep looking for someone getting rid of a road bike to get one. I know my taste when at a store for sure I like the most expensive. Purse strings are tighter during summer with the weekend trips we like to go on.
Have fun on your new bike.
Diane
2007-07-09 9:20 PM

Hi again!
I think I have final caught my second wind.... we have finally signed up for another 5K on saturday so looking forward to having something to look forward too.
Then I was looking on the Colorado Triathlon Calender website and found a few tris closer to me that I can do.
First I have a couple questions: Has anyone ever done a hot water tri? Julia you mentioned the Glenwood Sorings area and there is one coming at the end of summer I think(I will have to check again)But how does the hot water effect you?
Then in the same sense the one I will for sure sing up for is not until Oct 6th-but the difference there is it is an indoor swim. What differences should I be warned about and prepare for there?
The open water swim took me by surpise for the fact I would have never guessed I would be so off balanced.

These are both sprint distances which I think would be great for me still but the different swims????

Thanks for the suggestions.
Diane
2007-07-09 9:31 PM

User image

Shoreline
On june 26 I strained my achilles tendon. So I took it easy and just swam and biked until today. It is so beautiful today I couldn't NOT go for a run. My heel warmed up quickly and I had a very pleasant run. I took it easy and stretched at mile 2.5 once I was nice and warm. So, the problem. I am now sitting here with my leg up on an ice pack and can barely walk on this darn achilles heel. Not sure what this means but it is really bumming me out. My favorite of the three is the running and now I have to cease and desist for goodness knows how long.

Anyone else have any experience with achilles tendinosis? I don't think it is a rupture.

Caycee

2007-07-10 12:03 AM
in reply to: #878312

caycee,
i'm sorry about your achilles. my dad *thought* he had just pulled his once running up our front steps and he gimped on it for 2 weeks-finally went to the dr to find it had snapped and he had to have surgery. did you see a doc? might not be a bad idea to get an xray if its bugging you that bad. sorry bout the injury, that stinks!!

julia, great job at nationals. we didn't make it out to hagg lake that day, but its only 15 min from our house. i'm hoping to do a tri out there soon.

i have been SO lazy since the HIM, its SO sad!! my husband started his residency and i haven't joined a gym with childcare yet, so... NO workouts for me. just some free weights and abs workouts at home at night. boring! i'm just dying to run or go for a LONG ride or something!

good luck to all competing this weekend!

Megan
2007-07-10 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

Diane- I would say not much to worry about with the warmer water.  If you were really planning on smoking the swim, I would just say be careful not to overheat.  I swim in a pool every day that is warm and often I will brick on a run right away.  Typically I'm actually a little more stable out of the pool than cold open water - plus there's no wetsuit to worry about!! 

Caycee - I hate to say it, but I would have the heel looked at.  I know it may not seem serious to you, but if you run on it again it could become more serious!  I'm one of those who might seem like a hypocondriac, but better be safe than spend 6 months on your butt having surgery!!  Take care and let me know how it goes.  Sorry about it - injuries can suck!

Keep up the good work ladies!  Can't wait to see how the rest of the season goes for everyone

2007-07-10 10:30 PM

User image

Shoreline
Went to the doctor today. It's not a rupture but she want me in PT. I start next week. They gave me some perscription strength anti-inflammatory and my heel feels GREAT. It's going to be very hard to not go running when it feels this good.
2007-07-16 9:34 PM

Hi everyone just thought I would check in see what was up?
Caycee hope the PT is helping.
Oh did everyone see Julia made USAT! Is she not awesome or what!
CONGRATULATIONS JULIA!! :D

You mention the rest of the season-When does your season begin and end? DO you book your flight yet? How exciting.

On the look out for another 5k, may possibly do a (whoo hooo watch this big step) 5mile mid August. Really need to figure out a pace for myself or get some type of speed to keep up with the slow/faster people. How do you increase speed-when distance is still a concern?

Thanks,
Diane

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Julia's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 18