BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2007-02-05 4:33 PM
in reply to: #679795

User image

Subject: RE: triOK - FULL

Hey Erik!

I keep 2 towels at my transition transition area.  One to "mark my territory" if you will, and a smaller one to dry my feet off.  I usually don't worry about drying off otherwise, but you need to do what makes you feel comfy.  If its cold, then dry off.  Another tidbit:  bring flipflops to run in while going from the pool to the bike.  Just find a little spot near the pool exit that you can keep them.  As you are running past, jump into them and get to the bike.

A race belt is a must.  You can get one at www.coremultisport.com.  They are super fast; just snap it on and your gone.  It flaps around, but they are usually pretty tough, and I have never had a problem.  Oh, yes, most of the time you are required to wear your number on the bike.

2007-02-06 4:00 PM
in reply to: #668669

User image

Subject: RE: triOK's Group - OPEN
My group is still open if anyone is interested.
2007-02-06 4:29 PM
in reply to: #681800

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Cool! I'd like to join!

I'm Bob, and I gave a lengthier intro to myself in the new members thread earlier today. I live and shiver in Pittsburgh and am 40.

In a nutshell, I've been on-again, off-again with fitness in general. Unfortunately, it's been 2 years since I did much exercising. As usual, after the holidays I decided to try again. After a few weeks of exercising at home, I remembered that I always wanted to run a triathlon, but I never got serious about it. This thought suddenly spurred me on and has given me a goal!

I've now been going to the gym for all of 1 1/2 weeks, but I definitely am already feeling better and more enthused!

My goal is to run a sprint triathlon around the end of the summer, then do an olympic one next summer. And continue after that!!!

Thanks Robyn!
2007-02-06 4:45 PM

User image

Hi Robyn,

I would like to join your group if it's still open. I've done a couple of marathons and I just did my first century last year. I learned how to swim 2 years ago so I would like to do my first triathlon sometime this year. I live in New York and was looking at the competitor information for some of the local triathlons and they seem to all have so many penalties and rules. It made me a little wary of signing up before I knew what I was getting into. I have a couple of initial questions, I read in one of the triathlons that flip turns will be penalized, what's the recommended way of turning in a pool. I have a habit of pulling up on the edge of the pool to turn, will that be penalized? Also, how does these waves work? How do they put you in a wave? What if I'm faster or slower than the other swimmers in my wave.

Thanks in advance!
Grace
2007-02-06 6:10 PM

User image

Fredericksburg, VA
Hi Robyn. I'd like to join the group if still possible.

My name is Ricky and I actually planned to do a triathon last year but we all know how life sometimes happens and I didn't get to do it. So this year I am planning to get in a sprint by early/mid summer and then possibly do the nations triathlon (olympic) in dc in september.

I am 28, 6'2 and skinny. (about 165-170) But I am fairly athletic. Used to play basketball all the time and was big into bicycling from 2000-2004. (have mountain and road bikes) i participated in 2 charity cycling events where we had to train to be able to ride 350 miles in 3 1/2 days. my longest day ever is 118 miles. but i am by no means an expert cyclist. i just love to be on two wheels. (motorcycles unintentionally are the reason i took a break from bicycles) last winter a coworker and i started running (she wanted to do a marathon) and i ended up being able to run 6-7 miles without too much difficulty. we followed a great beginner plan from another site and i will be starting that up again soon.

like most people my weakest area will be swimming. i have no access to a lap pool until it gets warm since i am not willing to pay for a full gym membership just to use the pool. once it gets warm i will have a couple local pools to use.

since i have been planning this adventure since last year i have read plenty but there is always more to learn.

this group seems like it will be fun since we are all fairly new to this whole thing. some of the other groups seem a little too "advanced" for me.

i'm really looking forward to getting out there to start seriously training. now if the weather would just cooperate.
2007-02-06 10:56 PM
in reply to: #681800

User image

West Des Moines
Hi Robyn, I'm new to BT, just signed up today as a matter of fact. I would like to join your group if it's still open. I'm 26 y/o, male, and a nursing student in Des Moines, Iowa. I lived in southern california most of my life but moved out here last month for school. I have also decided to get back into shape. I slacked off big time in 2006 and put on nearly 30 pounds (180/208), it feels jiggly and gross. I have always been a fairly athletic person sport wise, but never trained in any of these activities. I don't think I can swim four consecutive laps, but I like the challenge. I will be doing most of my training indoors because it is pretty darn cold here and I have a membership at a YMCA that has a decent lap pool. Plus I don't have a bike yet so I will have to use the equipment and spin classes. Anyway, I think there is probably no better way to get in shape and feel great then by triathlon training..... look forward to hearing from you

2007-02-06 11:42 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, TX
Hey guys, my name is Zach and I'm currently training to do an Olympic distance Tri in June. I've done a sprint tri that I didn't train all that much for, but I'm really trying to get the training going for this one. I go to Oklahoma State University and I'm an Electrical Engineering major there. I also hope to do a few bike and run races during my time training for the Olympic Tri. I'd love to join this group if you guys would let.

Oh, and I haven't read through the whole thread yet as I haven't had time yet, but I'll get to it soon.

Zach Mauch
2007-02-07 6:17 AM

User image

Subject: RE: triOK's Group - FULL

Welcome everyone!  It will take me some time to get through all of your questions, but I will give it a shot.

2007-02-07 6:19 AM
in reply to: #681860

User image

Wilie05:  Do you have your race picked out yet?  Start there.  That will give you the ultimate goal and motivation!

2007-02-07 6:26 AM
in reply to: #681870

User image

gc150 - 2007-02-06 4:45 PM Hi Robyn, I would like to join your group if it's still open. I've done a couple of marathons and I just did my first century last year. I learned how to swim 2 years ago so I would like to do my first triathlon sometime this year. I live in New York and was looking at the competitor information for some of the local triathlons and they seem to all have so many penalties and rules. It made me a little wary of signing up before I knew what I was getting into. I have a couple of initial questions, I read in one of the triathlons that flip turns will be penalized, what's the recommended way of turning in a pool. I have a habit of pulling up on the edge of the pool to turn, will that be penalized? Also, how does these waves work? How do they put you in a wave? What if I'm faster or slower than the other swimmers in my wave. Thanks in advance! Grace

OK, to answer some of your questions:  It depends.

There are a lot of rules, but most of them are common sense.  The most important ones you should remember are NO DRAFTING and don't leave the course (if you step off the course to.... relieve yourself... you can be DQed).  The rest of the time, it just depends on the race.  I am pretty sure that flip-turns are not illegal, but on a snake swim they aren't useful anyway. 

Waves can be put together differently.  In pool swims, they usually group you according to your 500m swim time.  In OWS, you are usually grouped by age.  If you are faster or slower than people in your wave, then you do exactly what you do on the bike or run;  Pass or get passed.

2007-02-07 6:34 AM
in reply to: #681935

User image

schultzboy - 2007-02-06 6:10 PM Hi Robyn. I'd like to join the group if still possible. My name is Ricky and I actually planned to do a triathon last year but we all know how life sometimes happens and I didn't get to do it. So this year I am planning to get in a sprint by early/mid summer and then possibly do the nations triathlon (olympic) in dc in september. I am 28, 6'2 and skinny. (about 165-170) But I am fairly athletic. Used to play basketball all the time and was big into bicycling from 2000-2004. (have mountain and road bikes) i participated in 2 charity cycling events where we had to train to be able to ride 350 miles in 3 1/2 days. my longest day ever is 118 miles. but i am by no means an expert cyclist. i just love to be on two wheels. (motorcycles unintentionally are the reason i took a break from bicycles) last winter a coworker and i started running (she wanted to do a marathon) and i ended up being able to run 6-7 miles without too much difficulty. we followed a great beginner plan from another site and i will be starting that up again soon. like most people my weakest area will be swimming. i have no access to a lap pool until it gets warm since i am not willing to pay for a full gym membership just to use the pool. once it gets warm i will have a couple local pools to use. since i have been planning this adventure since last year i have read plenty but there is always more to learn. this group seems like it will be fun since we are all fairly new to this whole thing. some of the other groups seem a little too "advanced" for me. i'm really looking forward to getting out there to start seriously training. now if the weather would just cooperate.

Hi shultzboy!  Welcome to the group!

You might want to look at going to the YMCA to swim.  I don't know if it works any differently, but here you don't have to be a member to you their facilities.  Its $5 and you can swim your little heart out.  I think other corporate gyms are similar.

Since your limiter, like most of us, is swimming, I would not put off training in the pool.  Swimming tends to be the hardest discipline to master and it takes hours and hours and hours and hours of pool time to get to the point where you can swim efficiently.  Our goal, as I have mentioned above, is to get out of the water fresh.  If you can't swim well, you are dooming your race before it ever begins.

POOL TIME, PEOPLE!  That's what I'm sayin'!

2007-02-07 8:08 AM

User image

What would you guys think of challenging some of the other mentor groups?  We have people here that come from all different backgrounds and have different goals.  I think this would definitely keep us all motivated and bring us closer to our own goals.

If you haven't noticed, I have a very competitive personality and to me, there is nothing like a good challenge to keep me going.  I won't make a post about it until you guys decide that this is something that you would like to do.  Here is an example of what I mean...

I am willing to make the challenge that my mentor group is more motivated and dedicated to their new lifestyle than all of the other mentor groups.  And to prove it, we can compare things like:

weight lost per person

most time in the pool / on bike / pounding the pavement (or dreadmill)

most improved strength

best nutrition

most inspires between teammates

most consistent training

etc, etc...

What do you guys think?  Its not going to be about speed or distance.  Its about getting you to your goals...

2007-02-07 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia

Q: Have you heard of Z1/Z2 training? Its something I think is really helpful in training and worth a look.

I've heard people talking about that, but I have no clue what it is. I'll do some online research and check it out, thanks!

The challenge idea sounds good! I'm pretty competitive too, so this should be fun if we can beat the socks off another group.

-Erik
2007-02-07 8:36 AM
in reply to: #682373

User image

erjellum - 2007-02-07 8:21 AM

Q: Have you heard of Z1/Z2 training? Its something I think is really helpful in training and worth a look.

I've heard people talking about that, but I have no clue what it is. I'll do some online research and check it out, thanks!

-Erik

Erik,

Mike Ricci, our own BT coach, has got a huge thread on it in the Tri Talk forum.  Try to see if you can find it there.  He explains it WAY better than I can.

I'm a Z1/Z2 Kool Aid Kid!  You'll understand when you read the thread.

2007-02-07 9:18 AM
in reply to: #682395

User image

West Des Moines
The challenge sounds like fun! I'm in if I'm in!? Oh yeah, who else is in this group so I can add them to my friend list.

-Matt
2007-02-07 9:25 AM
in reply to: #682477

User image

Oh sorry... We have some new peep's to add to our "family"

willie05

gc150

schultzboy

No_Mercy

poke4christ

2007-02-07 10:25 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, TX
Hey guys, I'm happy to join the group and I'll continue to work on my blog content. Also, I'd like to strongly recomend that everyone here add a picture to thier profile (avatar). That will really help to differentiate between each other and get to know people individually. I'm a visual person (as I believe many are) and I can really see it helping.
2007-02-07 11:10 AM
in reply to: #682605

User image

West Des Moines
poke4christ - 2007-02-07 10:25 AM

Hey guys, I'm happy to join the group and I'll continue to work on my blog content. Also, I'd like to strongly recomend that everyone here add a picture to thier profile (avatar). That will really help to differentiate between each other and get to know people individually. I'm a visual person (as I believe many are) and I can really see it helping.

Where do I go to do this??
2007-02-07 11:12 AM

User image

Thanks for the reply Robyn. I'm actually not a competitive person, well only competitive against myself. My goal for this year is to do a marathon in under 4 hours. I did New York in 4 hrs 6 mins. But I would really like to break that 4 hour barrier. I'm thinking of doing Chicago because it's pretty flat. My other goal obviously is to do a triathlon. But I don't have one in mind. I would like to do an Olympic one but the one in New York is already filled up. So I was going to do the Sprint ones but there are only a couple in the area. I'd be up to doing an Olympic one somewhere else in the states if anyone would recommend one.

I don't mind competing with the other groups but just a precursor, I take a lot of classes and do a lot of other activities. I just signed up for a Karate school, and I occassionally attend yoga and dance classes. But I do run a couple times a week and swim once a week, but haven't biked in awhile. It's too cold and I don't like to run or bike indoors. This weekend I'm going snowboarding so I'll probably won't be able to run, bike, or swim. I hope this doesn't make me a bad member of the group.
2007-02-07 12:23 PM
in reply to: #682356

User image

Expert
I think the challenge is a good idea too. I would love a little nonsense between groupd for motivation. I have only one rule for everyone that I think should be introduced. If you live south ofthe Mason Dixon line, you cannot complain about it being too cold! I will have to start posting pictures of the three feet of snow in my driveway!
2007-02-07 1:00 PM
in reply to: #682713

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, TX
No Mercy - 2007-02-07 11:10 AM

poke4christ - 2007-02-07 10:25 AM

Where do I go to do this??

Click on "Control panel" right above the panel that shows your inbox (private messages). From there, you should see an option to upload a picture. There are a lot of options on this site and even I (Computer Engineer) haven't figured them all out yet.

Zach

2007-02-07 1:35 PM

User image

YAY!  Everyone has avatars and is looking good!

OK...If we decide to issue a challenge to another group, what kinds of things do you want to include in the challenge.  Remember, this is a beginner's mentor program and our ultimate goal here is to prep you for your goal race, without injury.  We should include both physical/training type things, as well as "team building things."  Post any and all suggestions...

I am going to talk a little trash to some fellow BT mentors to get some interested parties involved to see what they think.

2007-02-07 1:47 PM

User image

West Des Moines
Subject: Challenge
I think the "inspire me" challenge is probably good. Maybe we could do something with the groups percentage of "planned vs. actual" completion ratio. I know that sounded really smart but I have no idea how we would actually compute it. Weight loss might be a good one too, though I'm sure not everyone is here for weight loss...so...??
2007-02-07 1:50 PM
in reply to: #682910

User image

West Des Moines
Thanks Zach. You're right, there is a ton of options on this thing. I'm just sticking with the simple stuff for now.

Edited by No Mercy 2007-02-07 1:51 PM
2007-02-07 2:00 PM

User image

detroit
Hi-

As for a challenge, I like the idea of time intended vs. actual time. I can really use a push on that. Once I get to the gym, I am a good girl, but going there is harder some days than others...

I would definitely need it explained to me, tho. I have figured out how to use the training log - which is actually really cool - but that's about it.

Also, just wanted to say hi to gc150 - a fellow snowboarder. I head to Montana in 2 weeks and couldn't be more excited.

Thanks, everyone.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 19