BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2007-02-07 3:23 PM
in reply to: #682356

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: triOK's Group - FULL
Count me in. I'm committed. My wife and kids will laugh at me now if I drop out.

aaron

2007-02-07 4:22 PM
in reply to: #668669

User image

Regular
Subject: work %
How often should I push myself on workouts? I have a tendency to want to improve my times every time I step on a bike or treadmill. Should most of my workouts be at a moderate pace? What is the heart rate % that I should stay in for base building.

Thanks,
aaron
2007-02-07 5:49 PM
in reply to: #682269

User image

Fredericksburg, VA
Subject: RE: triOK's Group - OPEN
thanks for the idea robyn. i didn't know that ymca's let you swim for a small fee. i'll definitely be giving the local one a call when i get back from my workout.
2007-02-07 5:53 PM

User image

Fredericksburg, VA
oh, and i'm in for the challenge if others are. but like someone else already mentioned, some of us are not in this for weight loss. in fact i hope to put on a few pounds during this whole thing. i would have to feel bad if we did a weight loss challenge and me gaining weight hurt the team.

however the ideas for planned vs actual training, goals met, and team building sound pretty universal to me.
2007-02-07 6:41 PM
in reply to: #682269

User image

Fredericksburg, VA
ok, so i just talked to the ymca and the lady said that they charge 10 bucks for every time you use the pool without a membership! at that rate you would be paying for a membership in two weeks or so.

kind of a ripoff but i guess that is to persuade you to get a membership.

we'll see.
2007-02-07 8:40 PM
in reply to: #683410

User image

West Des Moines
Yeah, my YMCA charges 49 for membership and 26 if your a student like me (I probably wouldn't have paid the full rate either). I decided to pony up the (student) monthly fee instead of the daily rate, pays for itself after 3 visits a month. Plus they have some cool classes there so I probably would have joined anyway. 10 bucks a visit is a rip off, it would be nice if you could just get a pool membership but I guess they have no way of regulating whether you're using the other services.

2007-02-07 11:23 PM

New user

Subject: Introduction
Hello Friends…….

I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. I am 25yrs old and a previous HS and Collegiate athlete. I am training for my first Tri season and I am hoping to begin the season with a few Sprint Tris to ease into this new sport and then hopefully complete my first Olympic distance Tri later in the season. I would like to consider myself healthy, but I do have some injuries from previous sports. Namely I have issues with “shin splints” and my IT band from running competitively These issues seem to recur each season and I am dreading them already......... I hope that by decreasing my running mileage and adding swimming and cycling components to my training I can stay injury free throughout the entire season.

Currently I live in the Princeton NJ area (Central NJ). If anyone ise is close to the area let me know. I will post my tenative race schedule a little later this week.

Oh yeah.......I love the idea of the competition with another group. I am not really looking to lose much weight, but i am hoping to reduce my body fat percentage, so maybe that could be another category for the competition. I am planning on going out and getting a tech scale sometime this week.

Mike
Kepler57
2007-02-08 7:06 AM
in reply to: #682977

User image

Expert
Weight loss is OK with me. Aron can testify, I am a fatty!!!
2007-02-08 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
For a competition I like the idea of planned vs. actual. It keeps everyone on equal footing. I guess I have to start using and figuring out how to input planned numbers!

Edited by willie05 2007-02-08 9:34 AM
2007-02-08 7:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia

Is there anywhere that explains what the different ABS exercises are? For example, some of them have "(FB)" at the end. What does that stand for? I do several different kinds of situps, but I've never entered any of them in my log because I don't know what their technical name is.

Thanks!

2007-02-08 9:32 AM
in reply to: #683643

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: Introduction
Kepler57 - 2007-02-07 11:23 PM

Hello Friends…….

I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. I am 25yrs old and a previous HS and Collegiate athlete. I am training for my first Tri season and I am hoping to begin the season with a few Sprint Tris to ease into this new sport and then hopefully complete my first Olympic distance Tri later in the season. I would like to consider myself healthy, but I do have some injuries from previous sports. Namely I have issues with “shin splints” and my IT band from running competitively These issues seem to recur each season and I am dreading them already......... I hope that by decreasing my running mileage and adding swimming and cycling components to my training I can stay injury free throughout the entire season.

Currently I live in the Princeton NJ area (Central NJ). If anyone ise is close to the area let me know. I will post my tenative race schedule a little later this week.

Oh yeah.......I love the idea of the competition with another group. I am not really looking to lose much weight, but i am hoping to reduce my body fat percentage, so maybe that could be another category for the competition. I am planning on going out and getting a tech scale sometime this week.

Mike
Kepler57

Cool, a Jersey guy. I actually just meet a girl who goes to Fairleigh Dickinson in Jersey this last weekend. All she had to say was "awesome" and it was quite obvious where she was from.

2007-02-08 9:49 AM
in reply to: #683739

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
erjellum - 2007-02-08 8:57 AM

Is there anywhere that explains what the different ABS exercises are? For example, some of them have "(FB)" at the end. What does that stand for? I do several different kinds of situps, but I've never entered any of them in my log because I don't know what their technical name is.

Thanks!

I was curious about the (FB) also. For sit ups, I've been using Flat sit ups. I only see that or Incline sit ups. I've also been doing various abs exercises this week that aren't listed that I'll continue, so I was going to start using the "General" option and add notes so that I can keep track better.
2007-02-08 12:12 PM

New user

How do I add everyones names no my friends list ?

Mike
2007-02-08 12:30 PM
in reply to: #684076

User image

West Des Moines
Kepler57 - 2007-02-08 12:12 PM

How do I add everyones names no my friends list ?

Mike

Click on the "training log" tab.
Click on "control Panel," You'll see it to the left in a vertical column with the other tools.
In "Control Panel" look to the right and you'll see a place to add friends, just click on the button and type in the name.
2007-02-08 1:04 PM
in reply to: #683266

User image

Subject: RE: work %

firstriguy - 2007-02-07 4:22 PM How often should I push myself on workouts? I have a tendency to want to improve my times every time I step on a bike or treadmill. Should most of my workouts be at a moderate pace? What is the heart rate % that I should stay in for base building. Thanks, aaron

Aaron,

I am a huge fan on Z1/Z2 heart rate training.  I have mentioned it in an earlier post, but here is a breakdown of what that really means:

Most of your training should be done at an intensity that impoves your aerobic endurance while keeping fatigue (lactic acid build-up) at bay.  This needs to be done at a fairly low heart rate.  That means the MAJORITY of your training (especially base training, which is what we should be doing right now) should be kept at an intensity that increases aerobic endurance.  Running/biking in Heart Rate Zone 2 will help you increase your aerobic endurance so that you can go for longer periods of time.  Its usually slower than what most people would think... its really quite slow.

So what does HR Zone 2 mean?  Zone 2 is the "aerobic endurance" zone.  You can find it by determining your lactate threshold (more on that later).  Your lactate threshold is the point at which your body starts to produce lactic acid.  Lactic acid to a triathlete is like poison.  It will "kill" your race/training session.  You need to train at an intensity well below that so that you can increase your endurance (this gets a lot more complicated, but I don't want to overwhelm you too much).  Mike Ricci has a spreadsheet that will calculate all of your training zones.  My endurance zone (85-90% of lactate threshold) is between 155 and 165.  That means that when I run, I try to keep my heart rate between 155 and 165.  I know from my marathon training that a Z2 run will leave me with a training pace of about 10:30 per mile.  Yes, that is slow...but I can run forever at that pace.

Once you establish a good base (you can run 6-7 miles regularly, in Z2 without a heart rate spike), you can throw in some speed work to work on your race pace.  Z2 training won't make you the fastest triathlete in the world, but it will definitely help you get to the finish line pain-free.

2007-02-08 1:11 PM

User image

OK guys,

I have issued a challenge to Marvarnett's (Dan) team and they accepted.

We'll still have to work out the details, but it should be a lot of fun.  Dan seems to think they can win, but I say no way!!!

2007-02-08 1:32 PM

User image

Oh yeah...

"FB" means fitball... you know, the giant bouncy balls....

I don't get half of the ab workouts.  I just find something close to what I did, and then make a note.  My ab workouts are usually pretty consistent, so I don't worry about it too much.  As long as you know what you did...

2007-02-08 4:32 PM

User image

Here it is... this is the thread I was talking about.  It will give you everything you want to know about Z1/Z2 training... the good and the bad.

Like I said before, some like it and some don't.  It works for me and I will continue to believe in it.  Some say its like a cult... we all drink the Kool Aid of Mike Ricci's Zone Training.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&start=1

All of you who would like to heart rate train, this is the way to go!

2007-02-08 7:57 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Hello all!  My name is Dan...aka leader of the winning mentors.  Actually, if this goes right, we will all be winners becasue we will be hammering our competition this season. 

So here is what we do.  Since some of us don't have 'pai' memberships, we can't use the  planned function on the site.  So what we do is put the number of hours we plan on training for the week here on Monday's.  The next monday, we post our actual and next week's planned total.

For example, I plan on doing 13.58 hrs this week (814.80 min) so the next monday I would put if I went over or under and by how much.  I say we start this Monday and go for 3 weeks.

Thoughts?

Edited by Marvarnett 2007-02-08 7:59 PM
2007-02-08 8:01 PM

User image

detroit
i've just started messing around with the planned vs. actual function. is there a way to set your goals - time, mileage - by week rather than by day? i might be missing something easy, but...

thx.
2007-02-08 11:09 PM

User image

I don't have a triathlon in mind yet so how would I start training? What sort of training schedule do I need to be on now? My goal isn't to lose weight either, maybe lose some fat and gain muscle.

And Hi to kbkav, I only started snowboarding a few seasons ago, but I really enjoy it. I have to get out to the West coast and try some powder, the ice here can be pretty hard to fall on. This season has been bad too.

Oh and No Mercy, if you're in Iowa in July, you should try doing RAGBRAI. It's a 7 day bike tour of Iowa and you bike and camp straight through. It's pretty fun, I did it last year.

2007-02-09 6:19 AM
in reply to: #684801

User image

gc150 - 2007-02-08 11:09 PM I don't have a triathlon in mind yet so how would I start training? What sort of training schedule do I need to be on now? My goal isn't to lose weight either, maybe lose some fat and gain muscle. And Hi to kbkav, I only started snowboarding a few seasons ago, but I really enjoy it. I have to get out to the West coast and try some powder, the ice here can be pretty hard to fall on. This season has been bad too. Oh and No Mercy, if you're in Iowa in July, you should try doing RAGBRAI. It's a 7 day bike tour of Iowa and you bike and camp straight through. It's pretty fun, I did it last year.

Where are you from?  If you go to www.trifind.com and click on your state, you will have your choice of races.  I suggest a sprint to start out with....

As for your training, since you are just starting, you should be focused on VOLUME (not distance or speed).  Your workouts should be at a relatively low intensity and you should be establishing a good endurance base to start out with.  Go easy on the speed workouts until you are in reasonably good shape (by triathlon standards). 

If you need some additional help getting a workout together, let me know.  Also if you are having trouble finding a race, I would be happy to help.

Happy training!!

2007-02-09 6:25 AM
in reply to: #684643

User image

Hello all!  My name is Dan...aka leader of the winning mentors.....  Pffft...don't hold your breath. 

So here is what we do.  Since some of us don't have 'pai' memberships, we can't use the  planned function on the site.  So what we do is put the number of hours we plan on training for the week here on Monday's.  The next monday, we post our actual and next week's planned total.  This sounds good! 

For example, I plan on doing 13.58 hrs this week (814.80 min) so the next monday I would put if I went over or under and by how much.  I say we start this Monday and go for 3 weeks.  I'm game!

Only 13.58 hours?  Slacker. 

OK guys.  Remember this challenge is about time, not distance.  Make your pledges on your log for next week and I will put them all together and keep track of everyones progress.  Don't pledge anymore time than what you can handle.  We don't need any injuries here...

2007-02-09 6:34 AM

User image

They are talking trash already!  They seem to think they are going to beat us... poor Dan's team.  How delusional they all are!

for anyone new to BT challenges, trash talk is simply part of the game.  All in good fun.  Feel free to drop in on the other team's forum and leave them some "inspiration."

2007-02-09 8:55 AM

User image

detroit
is the winner based on total number of hours planned or actual or some percentage or what? meaning, is it better to set high goals and not attain them, or reasonable ones that you are sure to accomplish?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 19