General Discussion Triathlon Talk » is it legal to use an albuterol inhaler? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-05-06 1:12 PM

User image

Subject: is it legal to use an albuterol inhaler?
Hi all - I occasionally need to use an albuterol inhaler for my exercise-induced asmtha and now reading an article in the latest Triathlete mag on how Magalo Messmer was suspended from competition from using Salbutamol, I'm wondering...really, just curious: if I ever started racing at a high enough level where people would care, is my inhaler ok to use, esp. at races?? It seems crazy that it wouldn't be acceptable but really, I'm just wondering - anyone know?

2007-05-06 3:42 PM
in reply to: #790440

User image

Veteran
Durham
Subject: RE: is it legal to use an albuterol inhaler?
I saw a pic of Dede Griesbauer during the run portion of an Ironman with an inhaler tucked into her run top, so i'm guessing it's okay as long as you have a doctor's note.
2007-05-06 3:49 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I always make sure to use the one with my name and doctor's name on it so that people can see I have a legal, valid prescription for it if it ever comes up during a race.  It's hard to argue with someone using an inhaler who really needs it.
2007-05-06 4:04 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
For Olympic and other athletes, there is something called a "therapeutic use exemption" It's formal paperwork that needs to be completed by your doctor and is more than just having a note from your doctor in your gear bag.

The USAC is really proactive about making sure athetes know about it...but you know how embroiled cycling is with drug allegations.

I'm not sure (although as a coach I should be) if the USAT requires their athletes to have a therapeutic use exemption as well.

I don't see why there would be any issue with it for you, especially if you are an AG racer regardless of where youre placing. Couldn't hurt to scan the USAT website, though.

EDIT: For clarification, albuterol and salbuterol are banned drugs as they are stimulants. So is caffiene is certain doses. That's why you need an exemption. Things like fish liver oil and multi-vitamins are not, but the herbal industry's (as a gross generalization) has been known to have a HUGE contamination rate with things like anabolic steroids. USA Cycling basically tells their athletes to ingest nothing but food products...they don't even advocate vitamins for this reason. I'm reading into their literature a little bit, but essentially they say that only you are responsible for what goes into your body...and if your multivitamin happened to be run on equiment that had just processed some steroids or other banned drug...it's your own fault. That's at least the way I interpret it.

Edited by AdventureBear 2007-05-06 4:08 PM
2007-05-06 8:53 PM

User image

Master
Denver
I have albuterol for sports induced asthma as well and couldn't care less who agrees with it or not.
2007-05-06 10:16 PM
in reply to: #790542

User image

thank YOU! this is exactly the information i was looking for - i'm sure no one will care about my inhaler but i'm curious and also want to make sure that i don't run into trouble at some time in the future. thanks again for the wonderfully detailed post -

2007-05-06 11:35 PM

User image

Nor*Cal
I can't even imagine starting a workout or tri event without my inhaler.
Worst case scenario is gasping for a breath and no relief of albuterol in reach.

I even have it with me during the swim tucked under my wetsuit at the ankle.
Keep a spare inhaler at your transition area in case you lose one on the swim/bike/run.

-ak-
2007-05-07 6:11 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-05-07 9:24 AM
in reply to: #790542

2007-05-07 9:38 AM

Veteran
Now that you have posted this, Dick Pound and WADA want you to submit your B Sample to the French lab for future disqualifications.
2007-05-07 9:39 AM
in reply to: #791151

2007-05-07 1:16 PM

Master
Denver
Any Pro's in this thread? I didn't think so. I can't find anything regarding use of inhalers in USAT's rule book, and could care less what the Frenchies have to say about anything related to biking!
2007-05-07 1:21 PM

well, that's fine - said like a 'merican, as george bush might say. like i said, i'm just curious - of course i ain't no pro and will never be either but it would more than suck to be at a well earned big race, be running my heart out, and have to deal with some obscure regulation about asthma inhalers!
2007-05-07 2:37 PM

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
I don't imagine I'm going to turn pro anytime soon, so I'm not too concerned about whether my asthma medications are legal or not.
2007-05-07 2:49 PM
in reply to: #791828

Edited by SweetK 2007-05-07 2:50 PM
2007-05-07 2:56 PM
in reply to: #791851

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
SweetK - 2007-05-07 3:49 PM

kenail - 2007-05-07 3:37 PM

I don't imagine I'm going to turn pro anytime soon, so I'm not too concerned about whether my asthma medications are legal or not.

I don't think the issue is your class as an athlete but the fact that a small percentage of people you compete with, no matter what class, ranking etc, will use illegitimate methods to gain an advantage. If there is an opportunity with inhalers, less honest people will try it. The concern is that B-agonists will be introduced to athletes in the inhaler form, since there is no regulation in the present day, those who choose to cheat will get away with it. Does it matter to most who compete for the fun of it? No, but it taints the sport and makes it less appealing if it happens.

That's actually a very good point, and I have to admit I sometimes wonder how often age-group athletes who are totally committed to a difficult goal (i.e., Kona qualification) may decide to cheat. The infamous Outside Magazine article on doping is a good example of what's possible: http://www.iaaf.org/antidoping/news/Kind=2/newsId=23876.html

And if you're reading this and trying to qualify for Kona -- please don't think I'm accusing you of doping!

2007-05-07 7:21 PM
in reply to: #791639

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Z-dog - 2007-05-07 12:16 PM

Any Pro's in this thread? I didn't think so. I can't find anything regarding use of inhalers in USAT's rule book, and could care less what the Frenchies have to say about anything related to biking!

From teh USAT rulebook (sorry, it doesn't cut & past nicely, but it's there.

http://www.usatriathlon.com/upload/pdfs/usat_rules_download.pdf
Read Article VIII.

That leads you to this rule from teh ITU:
http://www.triathlon.org/docs/downloads-athletes-itu-doping-rules-2...
Read Article IV.

That leads you to this site:
http://www.wada-ama.org/en/
And bingo...the front page article is about asthma.

here is a direct link to the banned list:
http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/document/2007_List_En.pdf
Section S3, states:
"All beta-2 agonists including their D- and L-isomers are prohibited."

BTW, beta-blockers are prohibited in curling...

And caffiene is in the "monitoring program", but not a prohibited substance. Whatever that means.

Well, you guys can read the docs yourselves...

Edited by AdventureBear 2007-05-07 7:35 PM
2007-05-07 8:31 PM

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Wow I didn't know there were so many of us Asthmatics around in triathlon.  I never gave a second thought about using my inhaler.  But then again I have no aspirations of going pro
2007-05-07 8:39 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Maybe I'm being too literal here, and I honestly don't think that anyone really cares what a MOP, BOPer or using, or even FOP in a low priority races.

BUT...since the title of the post is "is it legal to use an albuterol inhaler", the banned substances and therapeutic rules apply to everyone:

Scope, Purpose and Construction
1.1 Scope. These Competitive Rules ("Rules") are adopted by USA Triathlon and govern the administration of all
races and events sanctioned by USA Triathlon. These Rules are binding on all members of USA Triathlon and all
persons who enter or participate in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon.

Again, it won't stop me from using an inhaler if/when I need it, taping an epi pen between the "girls" for the swim, or whatever...

But I get annoyed when someone asks a literal question and the literal answer is ignored...

maybe I'm just cranky tonight
2007-05-07 9:00 PM
in reply to: #792161

Master
Denver
A-Bear...thanks for posting the links. I scanned the rule book at work and skipped right over section 8 (oopS!).

After reading this:

http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/document/asthma_TUEC.pdf

I am not sure if albuterol is ok after approval from a doctor, or falls into the banned category. I am not familiar with the terms referencing the various medicines.

AND, to reiterate my earlier point, my health as an age-grouper, far outweighs any consideration by the "authorities".

Do you think WADA would mind if some of us gathered at T2 to share a blunt ? I was thinking it might help with assuring nutrition on the run
2007-05-07 11:18 PM

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
I don't know whether the albuterol is the steroid kind, but this is what I think:

The non-steroid kind is acceptable under WADA for theraputic uses. It is a good idea to have it registered BEFORE you are caught with it, however I have heard of some drug tests where you list everything you've taken and they'll exempt such things.

The steroid puffer might not be acceptable under any conditions.

I know this b/c the university team makes you attend a drug seminar before competing.

I have only heard of one drug test, and that was someone on my team who went to the World University Games, and was tested by Swim Canada just to show him what will happen.

Keep in mind, a drug test costs $300, so they will not test at a local small-region race.

2007-05-08 12:19 AM
in reply to: #792444

Coach
Stairway to Seven
So Fresh So Clean - 2007-05-07 10:18 PM

I don't know whether the albuterol is the steroid kind, but this is what I think:

The non-steroid kind is acceptable under WADA for theraputic uses. It is a good idea to have it registered BEFORE you are caught with it, however I have heard of some drug tests where you list everything you've taken and they'll exempt such things.

The steroid puffer might not be acceptable under any conditions.

I know this b/c the university team makes you attend a drug seminar before competing.

I have only heard of one drug test, and that was someone on my team who went to the World University Games, and was tested by Swim Canada just to show him what will happen.

Keep in mind, a drug test costs $300, so they will not test at a local small-region race.

S9. GLUCOCORTICOSTEROIDS
All glucocorticosteroids are prohibited when administered orally, rectally,
intravenously or intramuscularly. Their use requires a Therapeutic Use Exemption
approval.
Other routes of administration (intraarticular /periarticular/ peritendinous/
epidural/ intradermal injections and inhalation) require an Abbreviated
Therapeutic Use Exemption except as noted below.
2007-05-08 1:54 AM
in reply to: #792465

Master
Denver
And....

what is albuterol?
2007-05-08 7:07 AM
in reply to: #792489

Expert
Muncie, IN
Z-dog - 2007-05-08 2:54 AM

And....

what is albuterol?

Well, I couldn't tell you about the chemistry...but for someone with Asthma it's something you have to have. I rarely use my albuterol. But, I use Advair daily which has basically made me almost symptom free. On occasion I have to use the albuterol and I certainly don't just 'take a hit' right before a race. It makes me very jittery and I don't think I'd benefit from it much. There's an article in the current issue of Triathlete magazine about this inhaler subject. Magali Messmer has been accused of a doping positive and she states that she has an exemption for the inhaler. The lab the did the testing...a french lab.

According to the Triathlete article WADA states that for a Therapeutic Use Exemption can be granted if :
"The athlete would experience significant health problems without taking the prohibited substance or method".

Well, let's just see...I feel an asthma attack coming on...I think I'll not take my inhaler just to see what happens. For Dick Pound and everyone else who makes these rules...let's take a belt and tighten it around your chest and then go run just a mile and see how long you last!

I just find it frustrating that to me it seems that this whole doping issue is out of control. Anyway, my 2 cents!
2007-05-08 7:25 AM

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

From another asthmatic who is also on a steroid inhaler therapy and takes albuterol as a rescue inhaler:

The steroids used to to treat asthma are corticosteroids that, in their inhaled form, reduce inflammation in the airways.  Inflammation is one of three major symptoms that asthmatics have to deal with, the other two being muscle contraction constricting the airways and mucus production. Corticosteroids have absolutely no effect on muscle development - totally different class of drugs - so there should be no problem with being accused of cheating for taking them.

Albuterol is a bronchiodilator, meaning that it dilates your bronchial tube so that you can get more air into your lungs.  It works very quickly which is why it is used as a rescue inhaler for those who are experiencing asthma symptoms and need immediate relief.  It will help with aerobic performance for asthmatics, but for those without asthma, the effect will be pretty small.  If your brochial tube isn't constricted, it won't dilate much further than it already is. Oh...and albuterol will increase your blood pressure when you take it, so it's a bad idea to take it too often, or if you don't really need it.

Because my asthma is allergy induced, I always take a hit on my albuterol before a race since the race is outdoors.  That way, when I'm sucking wind on the bike and taking in all those pollens, I won't have problems with my asthma when I really need the oxygen!

Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I like knowing about what I'm putting in my body and why it is necessary, so I ask my dr a lot of questions.

Edited by katzchen55 2007-05-08 7:28 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » is it legal to use an albuterol inhaler? Rss Feed  

of 2