Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-05-15 3:45 PM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
Subject: kleinrider Group - Full
NAME: kleinrider/ John  
STORY: I live in Marlton NJ, (about 45 mins outside of Philly)  I have been doing triathlons for about 7 years now.  I would say I am solid middle of the packer (MOP).  Triathlon was something I always wanted to do, but never knew they had the sprint race I always thought a triathlon was the Ironman until one day someone told me about the sprint race.  About 6 months later I joined the cult, I mean club.  Then about 5 years later I finally did my first Ironman.  I love the wonderful world of triathlon.  I really love helping new people that are new to this great sport.  When I first got into triathlons I didn’t know anyone or know of any websites so my training was all trial and error, so I want to help anyone and everyone I can so they don’t have to go through what I went through.
FAMILY STATUS: I am engaged and getting married this October 12th.
CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently not using any plans to train, I am doing it solo only because I am doing the getting married thing so I am a little busy this year.  I still find the time to train about 5 days a week.
LAST YEAR'S RACES: Last year I did 2 Half Ironman and 2 Olympics and a bunch of sprints. 
2007 RACES:  I will do about 2 races a month, and my biggest race will be an Olympic in July
Parvin State Park – Sprint
Sunset – Sprint
New Jersey State – Olympic
Steelman – Olympic (maybe)
Marlton Tri - Sprint
WEIGHTLOSS:  I am always looking to drop a few pounds.  I am about 200 I would LOVE to see 185 before my wedding.

Edited by kleinrider 2007-05-17 2:04 PM

2007-05-16 6:20 AM
in reply to: #801746

User image

Veteran
Springfield, NJ
Subject: RE: kleinrider Group - Open
Hi John:

I’d love to join your group. I’m fairly self motivated about training but know that my performance would benefit with a group to help push me along as I’m generally happy with the status quo.

Here’s a little about me:

I live in springfield, NJ; 36 years old; married 14 years with one stepdaughter who’s all grown and out of the house; 6ft & 173 lbs. (Wife does not exercise) Never really a sports guy except for tennis in HS but I’m an avid hunter/fisherman/outdoorsman and have gobs of outdoor hobbies. I travel a lot, about 60-80 days a year in hotels – but I train in the gyms while traveling. I use the plans and log my time.

I started training for triathlons a few months ago when I realized I was way out of shape (have now lost 48 lbs since October) and feel great. My first sprint is this Sunday, the 20th of May, and I feel well prepared. My next tri, the NJ State Olympic, is July 22nd and then one more Oly late this summer I hope. The goal, if my body can take it as I have bad knees, is an iron man late summer 2008 so I have plenty of work to do.

(I see we're both doing the NJ oly this year)

Weakness is swimming for sure and my strength is biking (which I'm not great at), but is also my favorite. I belong to a gym with 2 indoor pools and have a pool with a tether at the house so I swim when I can. I ride a 2003 Softride (eyeing a P3or P2 now) and I’m dedicated to training 5-6 days a week.

-Brian
2007-05-16 6:35 AM
in reply to: #802265

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ

Brian

Thanks for joining my group.  Congrats on loosing 48 pounds.  Good for you being so busy and still being able to fit in all your training.

The swim is normally the hardest part for someone new to the sport, i wouldn't say i am a great swimmer but over the past few years may swim has really clicked.  It's just one of those things that takes some time, and remember your swim isn't going to make or break your race.

It would be great to meet you at NJ State Oly.

I am going to enjoy this mentor thing as well, cause i think it will push me as well since i know you guys will be reading my training log.  I wouldn't be much of a mentor if i wasn't do my training as well.

Looking forward to getting to know you and helping you out.  Please feel free to ask me anything, no question is stupid, there is no question that you could have that i didn't have when i did my first triathlon. 

2007-05-16 8:02 AM

User image

Brownsburg, IN
Hi John~

Glad that people like you step up to offer services to others on the web, hats off to that. Good luck with the wedding planning.

New to BT and the world of tri's. I thought I was going to wait till next year to attempt my first but now thinking late August after reading and having several discussions here, as well as reading other books.

My bike is on order and should be here this week. Switched health clubs so that I have a place to swim. Looking for a swim coach to help me improve my technique, I want the best looking doggy paddle out there.

I'm 30 and live in Indianapolis, IN. Married with 2 kids (3 and 2 months). My stats if you will are 6'5" 275 lbs (already lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks). I would really like to lose another 25lbs before I start running. I'm currently looking for a swimcoach, and not really sure how you find one. Emailed a couple I found off the net that say they coach, but yet to receive a response.

My training has been nothing but elliptical (30-35 mins) till I get my bike. My first attempt at swimming will be tonight, I think I'm ready after tons of reading. Nutriotion so far has been nothing but limiting portions, no soda, and no alcohol. As I get going more I may start up the "Zone Diet" as I had done that in the past and it did make me feel good, maybe not lose weight...but I never had sleepish periods during the day.

My first race most likely will be Aug 25th, one day before my 7th wedding anniversary.

I may have rambled a bit, but I hope to join the group and help motivate one another.

Kevin
2007-05-16 8:41 AM
in reply to: #802341

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ

Kevin

Kudos to you for not putting off the triathlon until next year.   As you already discovered BT is a great place for resources and i hope to offer you even more resources but with a personal touch.

Swimming is very hard for the newbie, it took me a long time to improve (without a coach) i am sure when you find that coach he/she will be a big help to ya, cause swimming is all about technique. 

I am sure the 25 lbs will come off in no time, don't be afraid to start running now, if you do start now it will be that much more easy when that 25lbs comes off.

Welcome to the group and please feel free to me or anyone in the group anything.  I look foward to getting to know you and helping reach your goal.

2007-05-16 8:54 AM
in reply to: #802410

User image

Brownsburg, IN
Well, I have officially entered my first log item after looking at yours. And didn't realize how easy it can be.

One question after looking at your log, and all the core workout you do. You have a good link to the exercises? I did a google and found a few, but didn't know if you had something particular you where working with.

I hope to get to the gym tonight to swim and do light weight/high rep on legs to help strengthen legs as I prepare to run. You are right, and so many others have said. Don't weight till 250 to start running....

I can already tell posting on here will make me more accountable for what I say. haha

2007-05-16 9:07 AM
in reply to: #802437

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ

this is pretty much the program i use.  

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

you are right, you can be held very accountable.

back to the core thing... Every month under the "Challenge Me" section someone starts a challenge maybe it's a weight loss challenge, Abs/core (which i am doing now) swim or bike challenge, it a very good way to be held accountable, cause you'll join a team and the team captain checks out your logs to make sure you are doing what you are suppose to be doing. 

2007-05-16 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA

Hi John -

I'd like to join.

NAME: gergzos/greg

STORY: Live in Havertown, PA..the other side of Philly from you. Fairly new to the area so I thought it would be ideal to have a somewhat local mentor who knows local races and resources. Brand new to triathlons but always wanted to do one. No road biking background and no swimming background other than lessons at the Y as a kid and floating down the occasional river in an inner tube with beers. Used to mountain bike alot before I had kids. Been training since Feb with TNT for the Philly Olympic Tri on June 24. I'm really enjoying the training. Huge improvements since feb and I've dropped about 15lbs. I'm 6'5", 220, and I ride a mountainbike (for now) so I am the exact opposite of "aero".

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 girls ages 1 and 4.

CURRENT TRAINING: Working with TNT. Coaching is good, but I want to continue learning and training after my race in June and the program is over. Plus it's great to have other perspectives.

2007 RACES:

Definite: June 24 Philly Olympic

Possible: June 3 Blackbear sprint or Belleplain sprint as a warm up and another Olympic in Aug or Sept.

Congrats on the wedding!

Greg

2007-05-16 11:51 AM
in reply to: #802858

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ

Greg welcome to the group..

I don't live in Philly anymore, i now live in Marlton NJ (guess i have to change that info)  Anyway, i know pretty much all the local races in our area (and there are a ton).  Don't worry about the lack of background, most people that get into this sport and either no or a very limited background.  My only background was road riding.

Congrats on the weight loss.  That will help you.  i've heard very good things about the TNT group so you have a great starting point.

I have a few friends doing Blackbear and even Belleplain (i may volunteer for that race)  Doing a sprint race is a very good idea it will be a good test run on how to get through your transitions and how your legs are going to feel after the bike.   Either race in June would be a good choice, blackbear may be a better choice just so you can ride some hills during a race, cause Philly has some hills.

Please feel free to ask anything you want and i will do the best to help you and everyone else anyway i can.  Please feel free to jump in on any conversation any and all help is welcome.  (that goes for everyone)

2007-05-16 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
NAME: hazmaster / Chris
STORY: I am living in the Great White North (Vancouver, Canada) working in the HAZ MAT Response Industry. As a on call-service provider I am out of town for extended periods of time which makes keeping a schedule and solid training plan almost imposible.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a beautiful 5 yr old daughter Rottie/Lab/Sheppard (my baby)

CURRENT TRAINING: Working myself into a tizzy. I work out every day I can, since I don't know when I'll be working. Working days are generaly "Days Off" since I can't swim with a Chemical Suit and Air pack.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: No Races, I am still as the say in the Big Leagues "A Newbie".

2007 RACES: Delta 8th Annual Tri - Sprint ; signed up this weekend for the North Shore Tri - Sprint; and have 3 other events I am looking at doing:2 Sprint, 1 Oly).

My long term goal is to complete an Ironman to get my "M-Dot" by 2009, and to nail down a 1/2 Iron by the end of next year. I have lost 15lbs and it seems to be staying away. I have purchased all the required gear (looking at a wet suit today and plan to have one by next week). Overall I am looking for a "team" that will keep my involved in my goals and won't let me slack off, I obviously would maintain possitive pressure on others in the group to attain their goals as well. I hope you will draft me into your group. Some guidance from a willie vetran such as yourself would be a great help to myself!
2007-05-16 12:39 PM
in reply to: #802974

User image

Brownsburg, IN
So it sounds as if we will never lose site of Chris in the water at night.

He's the dude that glows!!!!

haha.

Kevin

2007-05-16 1:45 PM
in reply to: #802974

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ

Chris, welcome to the group.  Wait a minute aren't you a member of the "Blue Team" for the Abs/Core challenge??  I don't know if i want you to be apart of this group....   Only playing!!!

Sounds like you have a nice race schedule planned out for yourself this year.  Getting a wetsuit is a very good idea it will really help your swim.  (and that goes for all you guys).   I'll be sure to keep the positive pressure on you.   Very nice work of losing 15lbs.

If you any questions this is the place to ask.  We are a team and we are all looking to help one another.

2007-05-16 1:51 PM
in reply to: #803111

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
kleinrider - 2007-05-16 11:45 AM

Chris, welcome to the group.  Wait a minute aren't you a member of the "Blue Team" for the Abs/Core challenge??  I don't know if i want you to be apart of this group....   Only playing!!!

Thanks John, looking forward to being in this group. No hard feelings when Blue staples Red and the others to the wall of defeat? Just kidding, we'll leave all the smack out of this thread, thanks for taking me on and trust me, I will have a lot of questions. There is SO much to learn in this sport!??!

2007-05-16 3:56 PM

Expert
because your close to be i'd like to be in this group...
2007-05-16 4:05 PM
in reply to: #803476

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ

Welcome to our group....

would you mind telling us a little bit about yourself.  Name, background, what races you will be doing this season. 

Thanks in advance..

2007-05-16 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
Subject: RE: kleinrider Group - Full

Ok boys this group is Full!!!!

2007-05-16 5:34 PM

Expert
ok here I go.

Me 34 y/o male firefighter/paramedic
Divorsed with 5y/o daughter

I was a swimmer from the age of 6 to 18 with my event being the 500 free.(5:01 best time)
I've been working at the FD for the past 13 years and have gained a lot of weight. My A race is a new triathlon that is in Ridgefield where I work. I was to be apart of the FD team but i was bounced from the swim to the bike. Now knowing i don't do anything half A$$ed I blodly told the new swimmer not only will I race by myself but i'll beat you in the swim. SO here i am today in an event which I'm really diging the training for and I'm looking forward to more sprint tris for this year and OLY or HIM next year once i get running(which i can't do right now)

2007-05-16 9:04 PM
in reply to: #803504

User image

Brownsburg, IN
Subject: RE: kleinrider Group - Full
kleinrider - 2007-05-16 5:06 PM

Ok boys this group is Full!!!!

I think you want to change the first post title to say full.
2007-05-16 9:26 PM

User image

Brownsburg, IN
Woot.

First swim ever. Well... swim some.. stop.. breathe breathe breathe... swim some more... rinse repeat.

I kept it up for 35 minutes before I said that was enough. 25 meter pool and found it very difficult to get 50 meters at a time without stopping. Worked on relaxing in the water, and technique of my freestyle. I'm sure it looks bad now, but at least I did feel myself relaxing a lot more towards the end of the swim. First time with goggles as well, and what a difference that makes.

Side note. I have found a coach (through this site) and will start training with him very soon.

Tomorrow I will probably do elliptical cuz I owe the wifey some time. Called the bike shop and my bike was just ordered Tuesday, which I was somewhat disappointed since I thought they ordered it Saturday. Oh well. I can wait some more.

Night all. Hope everyone reaches there goals.
2007-05-17 6:36 AM
in reply to: #803919

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ

Kevin nice jump on the swim, it may not have been what you were looking for, but you got in the pool and now you have a baseline, and you'll only improve from here, in no time at all swimming only 50 will be a thing of the past.  I can remember my first time in the pool i swam about 50 as well and thought i was going to die.   

A stroke you can use just to get yourself through the water is the breaststroke, it's a easy stroke to use/learn and it's doesn't take a lot of your energy.  It's a nice stroke to have under your belt when your in the open water for your first race and things aren't going as planned, you can use this stroke to clam yourself but at the same time keep moving.

2007-05-17 6:39 AM
in reply to: #803652

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ

Bajapat - 2007-05-16 6:34 PM ok here I go. Me 34 y/o male firefighter/paramedic Divorsed with 5y/o daughter I was a swimmer from the age of 6 to 18 with my event being the 500 free.(5:01 best time) I've been working at the FD for the past 13 years and have gained a lot of weight. My A race is a new triathlon that is in Ridgefield where I work. I was to be apart of the FD team but i was bounced from the swim to the bike. Now knowing i don't do anything half A$$ed I blodly told the new swimmer not only will I race by myself but i'll beat you in the swim. SO here i am today in an event which I'm really diging the training for and I'm looking forward to more sprint tris for this year and OLY or HIM next year once i get running(which i can't do right now)

Again welcome to the group.   I like you competitive spirit.  

2007-05-17 6:53 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ

Ok guys this is what i have for everyone.

early 2007 season

Brian -- Sprint this Sunday, NJ State (Oly)
Kevin -- Aug 25 Sprint race
Greg -- maybe early sprint race, Philly Tri (Oly)
Chris -- Sprint race this season
Bajapat -- Sprint race this season
John -- early sprint (Parvin State park) then NJ State (Oly)

ok this is what we are doing in the early part of the 2007 tri season.  These are all goals we can hit, i bet those who only have a few races planned for the entire season will sign up for a few more after they do the first one.  

Looks like Brian is racing this weekend in NJ, do you have any questions about anything?  It's the first race so the real goal here is to cross the finish line and learn how to race triathlon.  There is a lot that goes into a race, you are doing 3 different things and you have T1 and T2, so there is a lot that goes on during a race.  You just want to take your time do everything you need to do and move onto the next thing.

As you guys get closer to your races, please feel free to ask anything you want about how to set up your transitions, i can share what works for me.

2007-05-17 8:29 AM
in reply to: #804124

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA

Hey John -

Do you have 3 or 4 things you wished someone had told you before your first tri?  (ex. how to get the wetsuit off without falling into a rack of bikes, etc, etc...).

thanks

greg

2007-05-17 9:04 AM
in reply to: #804264

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
gergzos - 2007-05-17 9:29 AM

Hey John -

Do you have 3 or 4 things you wished someone had told you before your first tri?  (ex. how to get the wetsuit off without falling into a rack of bikes, etc, etc...).

thanks

greg

good question about the wetsuit... i normally put on pam cooking spay on my ankles before i put on the wetsuit so it's easy to take off when i get out of the water... some people use body glide i like pam, it may discolor the suit but i won't ruin it.   Make sure you give and get enough space to the guy next to you at T1.  If you are a new swimmer stay to the right less traffic.  Training wise -- do brick workouts at least twice a week  (brick = bike then run)

2007-05-17 1:35 PM
in reply to: #803919

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
bugeater - 2007-05-16 7:26 PM

Woot.

First swim ever. Well... swim some.. stop.. breathe breathe breathe... swim some more... rinse repeat.

I kept it up for 35 minutes before I said that was enough. 25 meter pool and found it very difficult to get 50 meters at a time without stopping. Worked on relaxing in the water, and technique of my freestyle. I'm sure it looks bad now, but at least I did feel myself relaxing a lot more towards the end of the swim. First time with goggles as well, and what a difference that makes.

Man, it is like looking back at one of my old log entries. My first real experience swiming for training was a train wreck! Keep it up, the coach will help a lot and make it easier, faster. DON'T GIVE UP! I signed up with a Master's group and after watching people who have swam all their lives, i was ready to quit. I stuck with it, mostly because I am cheap and had already paid for the month. Huge changes already and I am not even as comited as I should be. Keep your head down, follow through with your hips...something like that anyways, keep us updated with your progress!

Edited by hazmaster 2007-05-17 1:36 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kleinrider Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 8