Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2007-06-20 11:29 PM
in reply to: #853559

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Cadreamer's Group - FULL

robbkoz - 2007-06-20 8:12 PM I finally completed my race report from Saturday. I felt good about my first race. Hey, I placed in my AG.

Wow!  Great job!  Way to go on your race!

PS - Why isn't that small detail of placing in your AG in your RR???

2007-06-21 6:34 PM
in reply to: #807893

User image

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA

Thanks for the info on the transition...I'll have to read it again before my race.

Things are coming along for me, I think. Just having small panic attacks about being race ready. The attacks are getting better. I think they were happening because I missed a couple of days (4 days to be exact) last week while I was on vacation and it was harder to get back into the flow then I thought it would be.  The diet is coming along much better than I ever thought.

Looking for a new place to swim. The place I was swimming at, was through a deal with my former employer and my membership expired. Planning to go to the local YWCA this weekend to see how much a membership is going to cost.

2007-06-21 9:27 PM
in reply to: #853601

User image

Birmingham, MI
cadreamer - 2007-06-21 12:29 AM

robbkoz - 2007-06-20 8:12 PM I finally completed my race report from Saturday. I felt good about my first race. Hey, I placed in my AG.

Wow!  Great job!  Way to go on your race!

PS - Why isn't that small detail of placing in your AG in your RR???

How could I miss the most important part? I made some changes. Thanks!
2007-06-21 10:51 PM
in reply to: #851089

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

I've been training so hard and work has been challenging the past week or so, so I've only been online to note my training stuff...saved the reading for tonite.

Thanks for all the helpful info!  There was a bunch of stuff I didn't know about.

For me this week, doing great, highlights from my blog:

- lost 3 lbs this week

- started boot camp, kicks my butt and I LOVE it

- swam just under a mile for the first time since 8th grade!

- ran a mile without stopping

- dr. called today to say that the med I'm on for cholesterol is working: after 4 days on it, the cholesterol went from 270 to 150!!! Woo!

More bootcamp this week, a swim, a run, a ride...

Later gang!

Edited by newbiedana 2007-06-21 10:57 PM
2007-06-22 4:17 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

So, let's hear it from everyone?  How are you doing?  Any major challenges this week?

As for me, my training got derailed by the fact that I got sick this week.  I had a major training week planned and now that is totally fubar.  On the plus side I had a great ride on Wed AND I am totally enjoying my summer vacation (although I am not getting as much accomplished as I wanted.)

I'm feeling worried about the 1/2 IM I signed up for in August.  I am seriously not sure if I'm going to be able to finish it or not.  Guess I'll just have to do my best and let the chips fall where they may...

2007-06-22 6:18 PM

User image

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA

Question: I have not been doing any weight training yet, is that something I should start? I have looked at several of the plans on beginner triathlete, but I wanted others advice. I think this might be something I want to start next week, maybe two nights a week, since most of my cardio is in the morning.

Any advice would be very helpful!

2007-06-22 11:37 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Hi everyone! I am having a dilemma this week that maybe you all can help me with. Swimming is my strongest of the three sports, as I swam in junior high and high school. There is an open water swim in my town in 9 days that includes a half-mile swim. I love the idea of trying an OW swim on it's own before having to do it WITH biking and running. However, nine days is REALLY soon. I can't decide. So here's the deal...

Physically, I can swim a half mile easy.

I have been practicing in OW (the bay) and am getting very comfortable. However, this is out in the real...and might I add deep...ocean, which I'm still not too cool with.

I don't have a wetsuit. Being that my size is um...atypical...I worry about trying to get one by then and don't want to do the race without one.

So...WHAT SHOULD I DO??? Do I bite the bullet and go for it...risking panic and public humiliation, or do I skip this one and use the next three months to get much stronger and much more comfortable in OW by my first tri???

Thank you!!!
Joc
2007-06-23 12:09 AM

Veteran
Mesa, Arizona
Sealion

I say GO FOR IT!!!!!
2007-06-23 12:25 PM
in reply to: #856605

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

I can't imagine there's ever a reason not to lift weights!  Makes you stronger, increases metabolism...it's all good.  When I was a cyclist, all the training plans called for weights.  They definitely helped me as part of the whole package, back then.  The program I'm doing now also calls for weights. 

So yeah, I'd say go for it!

2007-06-23 12:31 PM
in reply to: #856778

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

Hi Jocelyn,

Don't panic, break it down into small achievable goals:  email the triclub today, ask if they have a size 7 suit you can borrow, and ask if they can provide a recommendation for a "swim buddy"...someone who is strong and can do the race with you, but who is there not to race, but strictly to provide you support.

If they don't have a suit, go to wetsuitrentals.com; you can rent one for $30 and use toward the price of a purchase.  They ship to you and you can keep it for a week.

If tri-club can't provide a swim buddy, put a note on BT in a relevant forum.  Or if LA Triclub has an online forum, maybe post  a request there.  Someone might be able to use your race as their training for that day!

;-)  Go for it!

2007-06-24 12:17 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to pass on it. I'm super overwhelmed right now with several things going on in life. I just don't know that I want to add the pressure of this race. I feel like I need to focus my energy on a few other things right now. Uggghhh!

2007-06-24 2:55 PM
in reply to: #856953

User image

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA

Thanks for your input. I think I'm going to work weight training into my schedule.

2007-06-24 3:00 PM

User image

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA

Having only 8 WEEKS, trying not to panic about that (still working on that issue), when should I start putting bricks into my training schedule. If figured since Sundays are my longest rides, and when I have the most time, I would do it then. But I'm not sure when to start trying them, and, how far should I run in a brick.

Help please and thanks.

2007-06-25 11:01 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Runningshorts - do the weights.

Bricks - once a week is good. Start with a 10 minute run after the bike.  You can take a few minutes to change your shoes, etc. but not more than 5-10 minutes in between.  Run for 10 minutes, then increase by 5 minutes or so every week as you feel comfortable.  The point here is to get used to how you feel running off the bike, so you're not supposed to be running the race distance, just practicing changing discipline.

sealiongirl - I'd go for it (but then I am a crazy OW swimmer...) but really, if you don't feel ready for it, don't do it.

Everyone - HAVE FUN this week - I'm off to LA for a week to visit my sis - I'll be back on Friday.

2007-06-26 8:18 PM

User image

Birmingham, MI
I just wanted to let everyone know that I signed up for my first "Ironman". I will complete it but I have 8 weeks to do so. It's actually the Ironman Triathlon Challenge sponsored by the local YMCA. Each week you submit your totals in all 3 disciplines and they input that into the system. I'm not sure if this is only taking place at my branch or on the national level. If you belong to the YMCA you may want to check it out. Sounds like fun to me.

Edited by robbkoz 2007-06-26 8:22 PM
2007-06-26 8:20 PM
in reply to: #858739

User image

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Cadreamer have a great time visiting your sis. Thanks for the info, started my weights tonight (6/26) and I'll do my first brick this weekend.

2007-06-27 9:01 AM
in reply to: #861810

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

Rob-

That sounds fun!  Thanks for the tip!

Dana

2007-06-28 12:11 PM

User image

Sorry I haven't been on in a while.  I seriously need to get a PC @ home. 

cadreamer - thanks for the advice on what to wear and transitions and good stuff to have on race day.  it was very helpful this last weekend.  hope your having fun in LA!

sealiongirl - change your mind about the OWS?  if not, maybe next time...  you can do it!!!

runningshorts - how's the weight training going?  i need to do that...

Race report up.  (My first triathlon!)

Race: Warsaw Optimist Triathlon 

2007-06-29 12:19 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Jellogal - CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST TRI!!! I just read your race report and it sounded like a great race! I have to steal the gels tucked in the cleavage idea. I have enought cleavage for SEVERAL gels! I have hesitated to change from the chunky mountain bike to a road bike, but after reading your report, I can see that I'd better get my butt in gear on that one. I do know it will help! That must be such a great feeling. I can't wait until my first! When is your second???
2007-06-29 5:17 AM
in reply to: #865482

User image

sealiongirl - 2007-06-29 12:19 AM Jellogal - CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST TRI!!! I just read your race report and it sounded like a great race! I have to steal the gels tucked in the cleavage idea. I have enought cleavage for SEVERAL gels! I have hesitated to change from the chunky mountain bike to a road bike, but after reading your report, I can see that I'd better get my butt in gear on that one. I do know it will help! That must be such a great feeling. I can't wait until my first! When is your second???

Thanks, sealiongirl.  My 2nd triathlon is August 4th.   The bike leg will be twice as long as this last one, so, like you, I definitely need to get my butt in gear and get a new bike.

2007-06-29 6:56 AM

User image

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Jellogal ~ Way to go on your first tri! Sounded like you had a great time and did a wonderful job.

2007-06-29 9:16 AM

User image

Birmingham, MI
Nice job Jellogal. You are a TRIATHLETE!!!!!!
2007-06-30 12:24 AM
in reply to: #864522

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

CRAPPPPP!!!  Just typed this long thing for Jellogirl, congratulating her and giving some cycling info...then I THOUGHT I was changing screens to look at something, but NOOO, I killed the screen I was in where I was typing to the forum.

Oh man.  I don't have the energy to recreate.  Will try when I get motivated again.

But Jellogirl, WELL DONE!

(My main point to you was to get some slick tires if you can't get a new bike just now.)

2007-06-30 6:14 AM

User image

Thanks everyone!!!

newbiedana - I HATE when that happens!  It's so frustrating!  Anyway...I appreciate your effort.  I think a friend of mine is going to let me borrow her bike for the summer.  It's not a "road bike", but I wouldn't necessarily classify it as a mountain bike, either.  It's another cheapy bike with handlebars kind of like a mountain bike, but it does have the "slick tires" you were talking about.  I have next week off of work, so the plan is to put my bike computer on my friend's bike to see how fast I can go on it.  *crossing fingers*

2007-06-30 12:48 PM
in reply to: #866995

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA
Jellogal awesome that you have access to a loaner for the summer!
I'm also looking for a bike (used to be a racer and had a hi-end road bike--could KICK myself for selling it 5 yrs ago!), and I found these:
http://bikesdirect.com/products/triathlon_bikes.htm?gclid=CKnhwKuVhI0CFQQRYwod_3HApA
Really good deals for what they are.  I'm going to put aside a little money for the next month or so and see if I can get myself a little something by the end of the summer.  I'm on my mt bike, too, until then.
What I wrote about last nite was tips for bike racing.  Like I said, I used to race and have trained a ton.  (I will take ANY and all tips on running and swimming!)  You may already know this stuff but...here goes:  tri-bike racing is essentially time trialling, a whole sport unto itself: 
I read that you have a bike computer…does it count RPM’s?  And do you have a heart rate monitor?  These 2 things are the key to time trialling:  your entire race should be done at just below your anaerobic threshold (AT), and your legs should be spinning 90 rpms the whole time.  I keep my heart rate monitor on my handlebars next to my computer so I can watch the two and just crank at that ratio the whole race.
The key to improving your time trials is to train toward increasing your AT.  AT is the point at which the lactic acid builds up in your body and THAT’s when you start to feel the pain.  So if you can increase your AT, you can increase your effort without feeling the pain.

I have a fantastic book with lots of little drills that I used to use “back in the day”, and I recommend it.  I got it a long time ago, so not sure how easy it is to find…maybe google it.  It’s “Training for Cycling: The Ultimate Guide to Improved Performance” by Davis Phiney and Connie Carpenter.  (I used to type the drills on little cards, laminate them, and velcro tape em to my handle bars--yes, I"m a geek!)

Also, the Tour de France starts on Saturday (7/7).  If you get the VS channel, I recommend watching the time trial portions—you learn a lot by hearing the commentary of the wonderful Phil Ligget and Paul Sherwin.  The time trials are on 7/21 and 7/28.  I *think* you can watch on YouTube if youdon’t have the VS channel.  Tour site:  http://www.letour.fr/2007/TDF/COURSE/us/index.html
Have fun everyone!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Cadreamer's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9