BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Group- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-06-12 3:12 PM
in reply to: #841332

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: KSH's Group- FULL
I joined up with Fit2Train to help with my running. Big difference this morning by having someone (besides my subconscious) tell me how far to run.

2007-06-12 6:41 PM
in reply to: #810702

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
I'm scheduled to race on the 24th of this month, after CapTex canceled I signed up out of frustration but I'm really looking forward to it.
2007-06-12 6:56 PM

User image

Veteran

I don't have a race planned until 8 July, a Sprint. The work schedule just came out and I got the time off (I was a little concerned since it's the weekend closest to the 4th and I'm low on the totem pole).

Granted, the 11 miles in the relay last weekend wasn't planned until the Thursday of that week, so anything could happen.

I finish this weekend working the day shift and then I'm on nights through August. I'm happy about that. When I'm back on nights, I'm going to focus on getting a eating schedule down. I need to eat more because I'm loosing weight too fast to keep up with my training/lifestyle.

2007-06-12 7:13 PM
in reply to: #841807

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Episcopit - 2007-06-12 6:56 PM

I need to eat more because I'm loosing weight too fast to keep up with my training/lifestyle.

I wish I had that problem!
2007-06-13 6:40 PM
in reply to: #841823

User image

Veteran
rjbostick - 2007-06-12 8:13 PM
Episcopit - 2007-06-12 6:56 PM

I need to eat more because I'm loosing weight too fast to keep up with my training/lifestyle.

I wish I had that problem!

It's quiet easy really. Sell your car. This not only has me biking and walking more, but has all but eliminated fast food from my life.

2007-06-13 9:10 PM
in reply to: #843399

User image

Veteran
Dallas too big, love car. =)

2007-06-14 9:51 AM
in reply to: #843519

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
GrantGannon - 2007-06-13 9:10 PM

Dallas too big, love car. =)

Exactly. Living in Dallas without a car would be a HUGE challenge. I would never make it to work smelling or looking good, that's for sure.

I even have to drive to ride my bike. Otherwise, I might get killed trying to ride my bike there.
2007-06-14 7:05 PM
in reply to: #844027

User image

Veteran

KSH - 2007-06-14 10:51 AM
GrantGannon - 2007-06-13 9:10 PM Dallas too big, love car. =)
Exactly. Living in Dallas without a car would be a HUGE challenge. I would never make it to work smelling or looking good, that's for sure. I even have to drive to ride my bike. Otherwise, I might get killed trying to ride my bike there.

I get it. I feel really lucky to be able to live in a place where I don't have to have a car. I tired living without a car in rural TN. I lasted six weeks. Overall, the US is just designed on the premise that everyone has a car.  

2007-06-15 9:14 AM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
Funny - to me, having a car is a hassle more than anything. I live in Manhattan where most people do not own cars. I walk to work, or I could take the subway. NYC is a great wlaking city. It is great for day to day life, but then when you need to go somewhere, like a race, it is frustrating not to have a car then.
2007-06-15 9:19 AM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
Okay - I have another swim question. It is about the pull buoy. I found an article on this site that has beginner workouts, focusing on form. For some of the drills it says to use a pull buoy. My question is this, if I always practice with the pull buoy, won't it hurt my form when I don't have it? Shouldn't I force myself to learn the proper form without the pull buoy? I feel like it will become a crutch if I use it. But - I defer to the swimmers here. Thoughts...?
2007-06-15 9:45 AM
in reply to: #845525

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
DannyCapp - 2007-06-15 9:19 AM

Okay - I have another swim question. It is about the pull buoy. I found an article on this site that has beginner workouts, focusing on form. For some of the drills it says to use a pull buoy. My question is this, if I always practice with the pull buoy, won't it hurt my form when I don't have it? Shouldn't I force myself to learn the proper form without the pull buoy? I feel like it will become a crutch if I use it. But - I defer to the swimmers here. Thoughts...?

Well, it will be a crutch if you swim an entire workout using it.

If you do sets where you swim with it and other sets where you don't, then it's fine.

Being a runner like you are, I suspect your legs probably "drag" behind you when you swim. Meaning, that they go lower in the water than your torso. I see this a lot with people who are fairly thin and with muscular legs.

By using the pull buoy, you can focus on just your form, and not worry about your legs. This is good practice.

I also suggest using fins on occasion too. This will allow you to see how it feels swimming with a good kick behind you and your legs not dragging behind you.

Don't overlook the kick board either. It's always good to take a little bit of time to focus on your kick and making it a useful one. Now, you won't be kicking a whole lot in the water in a race, but having a kick that you can pull from is useful. I know when I need to go into waves or speed up, my kick does it for me.

Here is an example of a set that you can do:

100 Freestyle
50 Kick
100 Pull
100 Fins

Typically when I do a set like that, I flow from one to the other. No rest.

This past week I did: 200 swim/200 kick/200 pull

I leave the fins out as I have a strong kick and my feet tend to cramp up when I use them. Hope this helped some!

2007-06-20 9:40 AM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
Wow - its quiet these days. Well not to worry, I have a few things on my mind...

1. Bike trainer/stationary bike workouts - do you not consider them bike workouts? I believe Laura listed it as "Sports" whereas I would consider it biking. Thoughts?

2. Karen - what's up with your lower leg? If it is just knotting up, and ART seems to work, you may want to consider investing in a roller. Actually, anyone who has had ITB issues, calf issues, quad issues, etc. may think about it. Regular use of it really helps prevent injury as well as help recovery. I use the Trigger Point quad baller (they have a whole set, but this one roller works on everything - no need to buy it all). Just a thought.

3. Back to my swim drills question... Okay, so I did a set last night that I liked. But I used the buoy for all but the kicking drill. Are there some drills that I should and some drills I should not use the buoy for? And, as much as I hate to say it, I really do think these drills are going to help me a lot. So thanks to all for encouraging me to do them.

4. Okay, I really don't have a 4th, so - how's ebverybody doing?

5. Wait, I did have a 4th. Running - do you guys all run solo? If so, you may want to find a group that runs a little quicker than you and head out with them once or twice a week. Regularly running longer runs with a faster (slightly) group will work wonders. At first you may struggle, but soon it will become comfortable and then you will find all of your runs are slightly faster than before.

6. Grant - love the fun 400's workout.

That's all now. I can't put off work any longer...

Dan
2007-06-20 10:12 AM
in reply to: #852031

User image

Veteran
Most of my office is at continuing education today...sooo.....

1. How long to taper? I've got this week and next...then it's race week. I was thinking of going with my regular workout Sun-Wed then tapering off Thurs-Sat.

2. I eat a banana every day and hydrate like no other...why do I still get awful calf cramps? (Maybe I need a roller too)

3. Why is my run coming along so slow? Will adrenaline carry me that last mile?

4. At my first triathlon...I wish I had known....

5. Yoga this afternoon, yee. haw.
2007-06-20 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
DannyCapp - 2007-06-20 9:40 AM

1. Bike trainer/stationary bike workouts - do you not consider them bike workouts? I believe Laura listed it as "Sports" whereas I would consider it biking. Thoughts?

I do log workouts on my trainer as biking since I am on my bike rather that a stationary bike.

2. Karen - what's up with your lower leg? If it is just knotting up, and ART seems to work, you may want to consider investing in a roller. Actually, anyone who has had ITB issues, calf issues, quad issues, etc. may think about it. Regular use of it really helps prevent injury as well as help recovery. I use the Trigger Point quad baller (they have a whole set, but this one roller works on everything - no need to buy it all). Just a thought.

I have the whole set as well and love them. I have problems with my hip flexors so the ball helps me work those places out.

3. Back to my swim drills question... Okay, so I did a set last night that I liked. But I used the buoy for all but the kicking drill. Are there some drills that I should and some drills I should not use the buoy for? And, as much as I hate to say it, I really do think these drills are going to help me a lot. So thanks to all for encouraging me to do them.

I use the buoy on one set of my drills but also do them without it to reinforce the real feeling of swimming without it. I do have to say that I love using the buoy because I feel like I could swim forever.

Well, I have a race on Sunday and I know that I'm prepared but I still can't help getting worked up about it. I love the training but when race day comes I'm telling myself I'm crazy and what the hell am I doing here.

5. Wait, I did have a 4th. Running - do you guys all run solo? If so, you may want to find a group that runs a little quicker than you and head out with them once or twice a week. Regularly running longer runs with a faster (slightly) group will work wonders. At first you may struggle, but soon it will become comfortable and then you will find all of your runs are slightly faster than before.

I mostly run solo but this past Sunday I was running and across the street from me were three guys running together and unintentional I began running way faster than I normally do. So, I see that could really be good. I'd like to find a group to cycle with so I can improve my speed on the bike.

Hey Grant..I sent the race belt to you so you should be getting it soon. You can try it out at your race.

2007-06-20 12:31 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
DannyCapp - 2007-06-20 9:40 AM

Wow - its quiet these days. Well not to worry, I have a few things on my mind...

Well, I really do not. Stationary biking or spinning is NOT the same as riding a real bike. Thus, you log it differently. Plus, I don't want anytime on a stationary/spin bike messing up my real bike miles/totals.

Who knows what is up with my lower leg. Been to a Dr., looks fine. Went to a running coach for 6 months to address my running pain... one pain went away, another one popped up. I had gotten rid of some of it, but I think it has returned because I upped my miles again. Lesson that I have learned: I have to continue with 6-8 mile distance runs weekly, or when I go back to them, I pay dearly for a good week or so. I did buy a marathon stick to rub on my legs. It helps some. I might check out the balls at some point.

Well, you do need to have some swim sets that do not require the buoy. Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote above, but doing some drills without the buoy will help.

Doing great. Just gotta get rid of this lower leg pain! HA!

I run solo. I truly hate running with someone else. I'm such a poor runner... and my speed varies drastically from run to run... due to my lower leg issues and side cramps, I have to listen to my body and run my own speed. I also like to listen to music when I run. I find it rude if I do that if I'm running with someone, so I like to run alone.

2007-06-20 7:42 PM

User image

Veteran

The only thing I log as biking is time training on the bike because I ride differently when training that at any other time. I spend a lot of time on the bike since it's my primary mode of transport. If I logged everything under bike, it would artificially inflate my bike time. Commuting has a lot of stop and go intervals (at least for me here) that I need the time on the bike training to overcome my habit of pedaling in that same stop and go matter.

The trainer is an acceptable substitute for training rides, but it's still different enough that I want time on the bike on the street for bike handling skills. At the same time, I do some workouts that I want the trainer for (cadence and one leg pedaling drills come to mind).

Both the trainer and commuting time I spend on the bike help my training, but it's not goal to improve on the trainer or at commuting, so I log it seperatly partly to remind myself to get in actual tri bike time.

I'm inconsistent here because I log treadmill time as running. Any thoughts on treadmill running?

I keep looking at the trigger point stuff but haven't invested yet. Thanks for the endorsement.

Glad they are working for you.

Quiet well, really.

Right now about the only group runs I do are in the venue of Army PT. It works well for short runs, but I don't recall ever doing a run longer than 5 miles in the Army.

2007-06-22 9:41 AM

User image

Veteran
OK, I'm about two weeks out from my first race. Still nervous about my run, but I know I can finish. It just might not be fast.

Any tips or tricks to give me one last little boost as I get ready to enter my last full week of training?
2007-06-22 9:58 AM
in reply to: #855673

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
GrantGannon - 2007-06-22 9:41 AM

OK, I'm about two weeks out from my first race. Still nervous about my run, but I know I can finish. It just might not be fast.

Any tips or tricks to give me one last little boost as I get ready to enter my last full week of training?

Well, I think the key here is understanding that if you aren't ready a week out, a week of training isn't going to get you there. Which I know you understand. I just know that some people (and I did this!), start to panic and start training the last week before a tri... so they are ready.

Grant you are in a great position training wise and are certainly ready. As this is just a sprint, I wouldn't worry about too much of a taper. Even a short run Friday before the race and a short spin (10 -20 easy miles) on the bike the day before won't hurt you... it will keep you loose and ready to go.

Although, for me... even though my coach gives me workouts before my races (up until the day before)... due to scheduling conflicts, I end up with 1 or 2 rest days before a race.

Some training plans also call for a short run through 2 weeks out from a race. My first sprint training plan had me doing that. I really liked it before my first race, as it calmed my fears of "can I do this?". Doing a run though this weekend would be your choice.

A lot of people talk about practicing transitions as well. I did that before my first couple of races. I think it helped.

Yep, I'll be seeing you at the race... hopefully! HA!

2007-06-22 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
You know you've put in great training so I can't say there's anything you can do this last week to improve your running. I'd say keeping a relaxed attitude for your race will help you. The excitement of the race can carry you a long way as well. You'll be fine on the run!
2007-06-25 6:02 PM
in reply to: #855711

User image

Veteran
Crap, crap, crap.

Came down sick today. 13 days before the tri. Overwhelming sense of fatigue and pain. Left the couch to get OJ and the laptop. I need this gone tomorrow. No way I'm going to take a DNS.
2007-06-25 6:23 PM
in reply to: #859741

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
GrantGannon - 2007-06-25 6:02 PM

Crap, crap, crap.

Came down sick today. 13 days before the tri. Overwhelming sense of fatigue and pain. Left the couch to get OJ and the laptop. I need this gone tomorrow. No way I'm going to take a DNS.

13 days out? You will be fine. It's OK to REST. Better to rest versus pushing it staying sick.

I know you will start the race.

2007-06-26 9:21 AM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
Grant - the sickness now may be a blessing in disguise. A little forced rest two weeks out won't hurt you at all. It may actually help. And it is much better than one week out.

As for the run, my only advice is to NOT run everything easy nest week. On Wednesday you should do something short and quick. This will help avoid the feeling of flat legs. You want to keep a little pop in them the week of the race. It should not be anything grueling, but just a little quick. At no point should you be straining (in general that is true).

And having just done my first tri a few weeks ago, my best advice for the run portion is - expect your legs to feel like rubber when you start out. It is like nothing else I have ever felt. But - and this is a big but - your legs will come back to you, so don't panic, don't stop, and don't get discouraged. At about 1 mile, I suddenly started to feel like I had control of my legs again.

Transitions - I did not practice mine. For me, I just wanted to be relaxed in them. My first transition went well. My second was awful. So I lost some time there. But it would not have changed much at all had I been 20 seconds quicker. It is up to you if you want to squeeze every second out of this race or just get one under your belt. But even if it is the latter, you can still plan out your transition area so it flows well.

Anyway - your training is there. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Just stay relaxed at all times and you will rock it!
2007-06-26 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Well, I had my first race of the season on Sunday and I'm pretty excited about how I did. Of course, it rained all week and the forecast for Sunday was not looking good either but I didn't stress about it because what will be will be. The weather turned out great, overcast and not extremely hot like you would think for Texas in June.
My goal was to finish in 1:30 and I did it in 1:23! I was 6th out of 29 in my age group! I've spent several months training hard and I know that paid off.
2007-06-26 9:57 AM
in reply to: #860524

User image

Veteran
Way to go!

What race was it?

Update: I felt better this morning at 9 am than I did at 2:30 am. I hope, hope...I'll be at least 'better' tomorrow. Going to target Friday/Saturday as the day to try to get some work in.
2007-06-26 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Lake Pflugerville Sprint Tri--it's about 10 miles north of Austin
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Group- FULL Rss Feed  

of 6