in reply to: #876677

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: KSH's Group- FULL
Episcopit - 2007-07-08 8:40 PM

My race report is up too

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=82678

Enjoyed it. Now I can get back to training which I enjoy more.

OK, I totally suck. I didn't realize you were racing this weekend and I didn't know it was your first race back. Sorry for slacking on my duties.

You did a great job today!

2007-07-08 9:28 PM
in reply to: #876702

User image

Veteran
KSH - 2007-07-08 9:59 PM
Episcopit - 2007-07-08 8:40 PM

My race report is up too

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=82678

Enjoyed it. Now I can get back to training which I enjoy more.

OK, I totally suck. I didn't realize you were racing this weekend and I didn't know it was your first race back. Sorry for slacking on my duties. You did a great job today!

No worries. I didn't make an effort to talk it up before hand.  I did this race as a warm-up for the oly next month.

Have you always had the "What a ride" quote in your sig? It stirs up some emotions in me as I once met a man who really did live that way. He literally died from a motorcycle accident. His kids, who he raised as a single dad, posted that quote on his bed when he ended up in ICU. When the time came, they pushed to pull life support holding on to his belief that he went out saying "What a ride"and that he died doing what he loved.  Amazing kids - they were 16, 17, & 19.

2007-07-09 2:36 PM
in reply to: #810702

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
Great job to both you guys. Congratulations!

Man - you were both moving on the bike. I am jealous.
2007-07-09 4:01 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Have you always had the "What a ride" quote in your sig? It stirs up some emotions in me as I once met a man who really did live that way. He literally died from a motorcycle accident. His kids, who he raised as a single dad, posted that quote on his bed when he ended up in ICU. When the time came, they pushed to pull life support holding on to his belief that he went out saying "What a ride"and that he died doing what he loved. Amazing kids - they were 16, 17, & 19.

Yes, I have had it there for a long time.

WOW... that's a very moving and emotional story. Oddly, I use to ride motorcycles, and I always told myself that if I were to die that way, then it would be a good way to go. Of course, that's easy to say when I'm sitting here fine and well and not in ICU... with a family looking over me.

Then again, I have to say... if I had kids to care for, I would be more careful with my choices in life.

They do sound like amazing kids... but what a horrible experience to have gone through.

It's really hard to say when our time will come and how it will happen, but I do know that I would rather die doing something I love... versus old and out of my mind in a nursing home. I think anyone who takes on an activity or hobbie that is somewhat dangerous sees it that way.

Keep in mind though... all of us triathletes are living somewhat dangerously by riding bikes.

2007-07-11 8:20 AM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
I believe it was Bodie (played by Patrick Swayze) in Point Break who said, "It's not tragic if you die doing something you love."
2007-07-24 9:35 PM
in reply to: #880644

User image

Veteran
Wake up folks!

I took two weeks off but watching a race on Sunday and reading through everyone's logs got my motivation back!

How's everyone's training going?

2007-07-25 5:05 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hello Grant!

Well, I know we are still aliving and kicking. I've been on other people's Training Logs and they seem to be around here and there.

Some people have also taken vacations.

Anyhoo, my training is going good. Every week I just do my best to get in all the workouts my coach gives me. Some weeks are a struggle though.
2007-07-25 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran

I was visiting with family for the past few days following the death of my Grandfather. They encouraged me to keep up with training while I was there and I did fairly well keeping on schedule except for biking since I didn't have a bike. I went out with a group of friends on Saturday and rode a mountain bike for a change.

Now, I'm waiting for a cold to run its course. Since it's a head cold, I'm continuing to train, but with less intensity.

I have a month until my next race, so the changes in my training aren't adding to my stress.  

2007-07-26 8:13 AM
in reply to: #901734

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Episcopit - 2007-07-25 8:59 PM

I was visiting with family for the past few days following the death of my Grandfather. They encouraged me to keep up with training while I was there and I did fairly well keeping on schedule except for biking since I didn't have a bike. I went out with a group of friends on Saturday and rode a mountain bike for a change.

Now, I'm waiting for a cold to run its course. Since it's a head cold, I'm continuing to train, but with less intensity.

I have a month until my next race, so the changes in my training aren't adding to my stress.  

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandfather. That was very nice of them to encourage you to keep up with your training.

I hope the cold leaves your body soon! Continuing to train through that is hard.

Well, take care of yourself.
2007-07-27 2:29 PM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
I am keeping up with my training... sort of. My biking has all but fallen by the wayside. I need to get back on that.

On a more positive note, I had my first of three or four sessions with a swim coach today. He is the coach of Columbia University so I feel like he can really help me. All we did today was work on body position, lots of drills to help get my legs and hips up (since I am primarily a runner, my legs tend to sink a bit). Just from doing that, I took 2 strokes off my 25 yard swim. A few more sessions, who knows what's possible.

Have a great weekend all...

Dan
2007-07-27 2:42 PM
in reply to: #904395

User image

Veteran
I think I might be a late entrant into Goat Neck tomorrow in Cleburne, woo. hoo.

2007-08-03 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Okay, I'm still here. Two weeks ago my husband and I went to Maui to celebrate our 10th anniversary. It was absolutely beautiful. I went surfing the second day we were there and when I woke up my right knee was a little swollen. I'm really not sure what it is that I did. So, I iced it which brought the swelling down. Getting back to town and traveling with five kids is always fun so it takes me about a week to return to normal. I did run twice that week and they were pretty bad runs for me. I was really disappointed and I've tried to keep positive. By Sunday, I started running fever and ended up with a horrible head cold and I'm finally feeling okay. So another week of training was shot. I did run 4 miles this morning and then walked another mile. It wasn't great but I got out there and did it. I hope you guys aren't tired of my complaining but I wanted to check in.
I hope all of you are healthy and having some good training days. Karen, your logs are great. Your HIM in October will be a piece of cake.
2007-08-23 2:16 PM
in reply to: #912810

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
rjbostick - 2007-08-03 2:25 PM

Okay, I'm still here. Two weeks ago my husband and I went to Maui to celebrate our 10th anniversary. It was absolutely beautiful. I went surfing the second day we were there and when I woke up my right knee was a little swollen. I'm really not sure what it is that I did. So, I iced it which brought the swelling down. Getting back to town and traveling with five kids is always fun so it takes me about a week to return to normal. I did run twice that week and they were pretty bad runs for me. I was really disappointed and I've tried to keep positive. By Sunday, I started running fever and ended up with a horrible head cold and I'm finally feeling okay. So another week of training was shot. I did run 4 miles this morning and then walked another mile. It wasn't great but I got out there and did it. I hope you guys aren't tired of my complaining but I wanted to check in.
I hope all of you are healthy and having some good training days. Karen, your logs are great. Your HIM in October will be a piece of cake.

Awe, how wonderful- Maui for your Anniversary. Happy Belated Anniversary!

Thanks for checking in. This thread has been very quiet. August is almost over and the mentor program will end. Although, I kind of wonder how much this really "helped" anyone.

I believe Danny has his first REAL tri coming up this weekend... and Mike should be doing Hotter N Hell. Grant doesn't race until September (?). I have a race this weekend but it's a short sprint- it was race or train after supporting my racing boyfriend.

Yea, I've been training hard for my HIM and last week it finally took a mental toll on me. So I took a couple of days of rest.... this week it has taken a phyiscal toll on me!

Well, I hope everyone is still out there rocking it, even if you aren't around BT!
2007-08-23 2:22 PM
in reply to: #937982

User image

Veteran
I've been out of pocket a ton too with work. Still training but not much free time around the computer.

Still planning on Texas Man and Toyota!
2007-08-23 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
My next race is the Austin Triathlon on Labor Day. It's kind of like a make up for the Cap Tex. It's the same course. After that, Longhorn HIM in October. Karen, I hope we can meet before the race. I'm sure there will be a BT dinner or something. My big news is that I signed up for the Coeur D'Alene Ironman in 2008. Crazy, yes! I won't be training alone. I signed up with four other girls so we can keep each other motivated. Karen, is Kentucky the one for you???
2007-08-24 5:31 PM
in reply to: #938090

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
rjbostick - 2007-08-23 2:57 PM

My next race is the Austin Triathlon on Labor Day. It's kind of like a make up for the Cap Tex. It's the same course. After that, Longhorn HIM in October. Karen, I hope we can meet before the race. I'm sure there will be a BT dinner or something. My big news is that I signed up for the Coeur D'Alene Ironman in 2008. Crazy, yes! I won't be training alone. I signed up with four other girls so we can keep each other motivated. Karen, is Kentucky the one for you???

Yea, that would be nice to meet in person! Hopefully something works out before the race. As you know, finding someone you have never met on race day is near impossible.

IMCDA- AWESOME! You can do it. Yes, it looks like I'm hitting the "sign me up" button on Kentucky on Monday! WOO-HOO!

2007-08-28 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, this mentor program ends in 4 days. Has it been successful? Well, I guess that is for each one of you to decide. I think we did lose a couple of people along the way.

I hope that each one of you achieved your goals from May to August and that you are looking ahead to bigger and better!

Thanks for being apart of the group. I wish you all the best of luck in the future!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Group- FULL Rss Feed  

of 6