Aaron's Cycling/L5Flyers
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 41m 35s
Overall Rank = 9/19
Age Group = men's Cat 5
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Showed up good and early to get acclimated to the course.
Event warmup:

Did a couple of laps to see if I could learn anything about the course. Didn't stretch or anything, just kind of kept my eyes open to see if I was doing anything wrong.
Bike
  • 41m 35s
  • 16.3 miles
  • 23.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, this was my first crit. I've been riding with the Aaron's Club for a couple of years but only as a means to fitness for triathlon. Group rides seem largely populated by Cat 3 and 4's and this crowd can be merciless about dropping slower riders.

I raced 'novice' Cat 5 - Slowest heat of the day besides the juniors - 35 minutes plus three laps. Horn went off and pace was brisk immediately. There were Prime's offered for a lot of the laps, inclu. the first one - the upshot was that a couple of the stronger riders rode off the front from the git-go. I started towards the back of the pack and gradually worked my way up as the race went on. The group seemed to splinter w/in a couple of laps and I wound up in the first chase group about 25-30 seconds down. Group was unable to organize a challenge to front three so we raced ourselves for final position. Ifinished 9th but had the same time as the fifth place rider.

To summarize, I haven't worked so hard in a race in a long time. . These crits hurt! I was kind of bashful at the start and again when it came time to chase down the leaders but I am chalking that up to crit inexperience. I think the legs have enough spring to race with the front runners at this level and next time. .

What would you do differently?:

Go out faster and look to attack.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

These bike races are a very different kind of animal. It definitely takes a little experience to race efficiently.

Last updated: 2007-09-08 12:00 AM
Biking
00:41:35 | 16.3 miles | 23.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/19
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Roughly one mile loops mostly inside Atlanta's Grant Park - Closed to traffic. First half of race was downhill, second half up; There were three wideopen corners where you really had to watch your line.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right