United States
Granite State Wheelmen
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 07m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Saturday morning I woke up around 5:30am, threw my gear (which I had packed Friday night) into the car and left just after 6:00am. A quick stop at McDonalds for some breakfast (I know it's not the best for me, but it's a pre-race/pre-ride tradition and my body has gotten used to it) and I was on my way. When I was about half-way there I realized that I did not bring directions to the place, so I'd have to drive from memory, having ridden it the last few years.
Event warmup:

Once I arrived at Hampton Beach State Park I parked my car and then got in line to check-in. The line was quite long (almost 20 minutes) but once I got my stuff and got back to the car I was ready pretty quickly. That's one good thing about organized rides as opposed to triathlons, the setup in the morning is pretty quick!
Bike
  • 4h 07m 11s
  • 72.36 miles
  • 17.56 mile/hr
Comments:

For today, I had planned on doing the 63 mile (100k) loop, but when the time came to turn back I decided to continue to the end, for a total of 72 miles.

Overall I felt great, which is why I went a bit further than I had planned. Since I was not doing the full 100 mile course, I headed north before most of the riders, so for almost the whole way I was riding by myself.
Post race
Warm down:

After I got back to Hampton Beach State Park, I checked in with the organizers to let them know I was finished, then packed up and headed to a nearby restaurant to grab some lunch. Having stuffed myself on fried clams and chowder, I headed over to the motel I was staying at for the night. The place was nothing fancy and the beds were pretty uncomfortable, but not so bad that I couldn't grab a quick nap in the afternoon. I woke up around dinner time, walked along the main "strip" of Hampton Beach to check out the food options, but ended up at this "biker bar" pub across the street from the motel. Needless to say I was the only guy in the place not dressed in black Harley-Davidson gear (and definitely the only guy with shaved legs) but the people there were nice and the food was decent. After a couple of beers and some pizza, I headed back to the motel to watch some TV and turn in early.

Last updated: 2007-03-26 12:00 AM
Biking
04:07:11 | 72.36 miles | 17.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course is pretty much an out-and-back loop along the coastline of New Hampshire and Maine, making up rides of 25, 50 and 63 miles (100k). For the full 100 miles, they tack on a 19-mile loop at the start that goes south into Massachusetts, a 9-mile loop at the top that goes further into Maine, and an additional 9-mile loop on the way back to Hampton Beach. Overall it's a nice course, with the only drawback being that there are two bridges that have to be walked over (with police on-hand to make sure you do) for a total of four crossings. The bridges aren't too long, but I found that after walking over them my legs were really stiff and it took a few miles to get back up to speed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-23 5:57 PM

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA
Subject: Seacoast Century - Day 1

2007-09-24 6:58 AM
in reply to: #975864

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Seacoast Century - Day 1

Nice job adding more mileage. 

And I thing literally you FIT in that bar very well - it's a "biker's bar", and you're a biker.  Just not the same kind of bikes. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Seacoast Century - Day 1 Rss Feed