Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-12-31 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: Benihana's Group - CLOSED

NAME: Benihana / Ben

STORY: I am a 29 Year old Male, living in Princeton, MN (Northern suburb of Minneapolis/St.Paul).  I have always loved to compete at anything sport related, and have decided to focus all of my energy and desire on triathlons/Running Races.  With the encouragement of one of my friends, I did my first Triathlon 3 years ago, and was hooked instantly.  I am entering my 4th season (3rd full season), and can't wait for the snow to melt!
FAMILY STATUS: I am married to my lovely Wife Chantel, of 6 1/2 years, and have our first baby on the way, due June 1st. 
CURRENT TRAINING: My main focus this year will be bettering my HIM race from last year, with a few shorter Tri's thrown in for good measure.  At the end of my season, I plan on running the Twin Cities Marathon

THIS YEAR'S RACES: No races yet this year, but las year I completed 2 races per month from April - August.  Something tells me that with a baby on the way, I doubt I will be doing 2 per month, but I am sure going to try. 
2008 RACES:  My 2008 season is still in the works, but there are a few key races that I know I will not miss.  My main focus will be to better my HIM time to below 5 hours in July, and to run a sub- 3:30 marathon in October
WEIGHTLOSS: I don't have any specific weightloss goals, but from past experience, once my training gets going strong, I tend to drop about 10-15 pounds (depending on what was added over the holidays!)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I think that most people will tell you that I am passionate for the sport of Triathlon and try to get as many of my friends to complete one (atleast those who will listen!)  I feel that I have learned A LOT over the past 3 years while doing this...both what to do, and what NOT to do, and I love sharing my experiences with others!

Edited by benihana 2008-01-11 8:23 AM

2008-01-08 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1124253

New user

Harrisburg, PA
Subject: RE: Benihana's Group - OPEN
I would love to join your group. Today was my first day on the site and i love it already. I was looking for a mentor that looked at tri's the same way i do....and i believe i found that from you from what i have read. This year will be my first Tri. My first race is a sprint on May 4th.
As for my background.......im 37 and have always been in shape and always been in some kind of sport..........scuba, rock climbing, weight lifting, riding bike and many other things too.
Right now i want to get my weight down. I have been lifting hard for the past year. my weight is 205 with 10% bodyfat at 6'. Its not hard for me to lose weight at all, so that will not be a problem.......but what i am hoping you can help me with is just getting me through my first year of tri's. My mind set is that i want to do good not to just finish......i have always taken my game over the top in every sport i do.....ie..."i have to be the best" mindset. I do understand that tris are another beast all together so i understand that i am not going to be "the best" but like i said i do want to do the best i can for a first time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Thomas
2008-01-08 5:40 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay Area
Ben,

My is Joel and I am new to this sport. I have a very solid base as I have been competing at
one thing or another as far back as I can remember, and that is a long time. I have a solid
background in road racing and mountain biking. I am working towards an Olympic Tri in April
or May. If you have room in your group I would be most grateful.

Thank you...Joel
2008-01-09 7:30 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Hey Ben.  I'd like to join the group.  I started tri's about 9 months ago, so I have a bit of experience.  But, I definitely still consider myself a beginner.  And you sound like you'd make a great mentor.
2008-01-09 7:30 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

-Oops, Double Post-

Edited by jcbolton 2008-01-09 7:31 AM
2008-01-09 7:38 AM
in reply to: #1142816

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

boomer4370 - 2008-01-08 2:41 PM I would love to join your group. Today was my first day on the site and i love it already. I was looking for a mentor that looked at tri's the same way i do....and i believe i found that from you from what i have read. This year will be my first Tri. My first race is a sprint on May 4th. As for my background.......im 37 and have always been in shape and always been in some kind of sport..........scuba, rock climbing, weight lifting, riding bike and many other things too. Right now i want to get my weight down. I have been lifting hard for the past year. my weight is 205 with 10% bodyfat at 6'. Its not hard for me to lose weight at all, so that will not be a problem.......but what i am hoping you can help me with is just getting me through my first year of tri's. My mind set is that i want to do good not to just finish......i have always taken my game over the top in every sport i do.....ie..."i have to be the best" mindset. I do understand that tris are another beast all together so i understand that i am not going to be "the best" but like i said i do want to do the best i can for a first time. Thanks for taking the time to read this! Thomas

Thomas - Welcome!  The first year was the hardest for me, but also the most addicting!  I am right there with you about wanting to be the best at everything I do.  What distances are the legs in the race you are planning on?  Do you have a specific plan you are following yet?

Ben

2008-01-09 7:40 AM
in reply to: #1143535

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

joeseal - 2008-01-08 5:40 PM Ben, My is Joel and I am new to this sport. I have a very solid base as I have been competing at one thing or another as far back as I can remember, and that is a long time. I have a solid background in road racing and mountain biking. I am working towards an Olympic Tri in April or May. If you have room in your group I would be most grateful. Thank you...Joel

Joel-

There is plenty of room, welcome!  It sounds like you have a couple of the disciplines covered already....how is your swimming?  Do you have a plan you are following yet?

2008-01-09 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1144557

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

jcbolton - 2008-01-09 7:30 AM Hey Ben.  I'd like to join the group.  I started tri's about 9 months ago, so I have a bit of experience.  But, I definitely still consider myself a beginner.  And you sound like you'd make a great mentor.

Welcome!  I see that you are keeping a great log, and that IMAZ is on your horizon...your workouts look great, keep them up!  While I haven't done any IM races...yet...I am more than willing to field questions that I can, or find answers for you...and while I haven't been to Cabo, I have been to Playa del Carmen, and I loved it....I really don't think you can go wrong with either!   When is the wedding?

2008-01-09 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

Thomas/Joel

One other thing that I have found EXTREMELY helpful in training is keeping an accurate log of your workouts...and putting as much detail into them as possible.  That way when you need to look back at a specific workout, how you were feeling, what you did the day before, it will help you get a better gauge on how your body responds to the demands we place on it during training and racing.

If you are unfamliar with the BT Training log system, at the top of the page, right next to forums, there is a link to your specific "Training Log", click on that, and then click on the date in which you would like to modify, enter your information and you are good.

Let me know if you have any questions

Ben

2008-01-09 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

NAME: jcbolton / Clint

STORY: I am 28 year old male living in White Oak, Texas, which is about 2 hours east of Dallas.  I played basketball in high school for a small school, but never got much playing time as I was injured often with a bad shoulder.  One year ago I decided I wanted to lose weight as a New Year's resolution, just like 99% of America, and decided to look at triathlon.  So I started running in January, and I couldn't go much more than a couple of miles without stopping.  Started swimming in January, and I couldn't swim more than 50 yards without having to stop to catch my breath.  Bought a bike in Febuary, and I realized I loved cycling.  Did my first sprint triathlon in March, and I fell in love.  Signed up for several sprints, a few du's, and completed 2 HIM's in September and October.  Just ran the White Rock Marathon last month to complete my first marathon.  Probably got a little too excited and signed up for IMAZ.  I won't finish it fast, but I believe I'll finish it.  It's been an incredible ride so far, and God willing I'll be able to compete in this sport for the rest of my life. 

FAMILY STATUS: I am engaged to the beautiful and incredibly athletic Gina (grvfrog) on BT.  She just finished a triple Ironman a few months back to setting several course records along the way.

CURRENT TRAINING: My main focus right now is preparing myself to finish IMAZ.  Time isn't an issue.  Just finishing.  Later in the year, I'll focus more on ultra-cycling.

2008 RACES: IMAZ in April.  There is an ultra-cycling event called the Texas Time Trials, and I'm thinking I'll do a 12 hour event there.  I'd love to do the 24 hour event, but I'm not sure if I'll have quite the base by then.

WEIGHTLOSS: Well, when I graduated college in 2004 I was about 240 pounds.  I was hovering around 215 in January of last year when I decided to start triathlon.  I hope to get into the 164-168 pound range.  This might be a bit small for my 6'0" frame.  I really don't know.

2008-01-09 2:10 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
I am interested in hearing more about the 12 hour time trial...sounds painful and fun, all at the same time!

2008-01-09 9:42 PM
in reply to: #1144574

User image

Regular
SF Bay Area
Thanks for taking the time to mentor me through this season. I have been logging all my workouts. I have been following the 20 week, three times a week OLY plan. I have been taking
notes as well. Maybe you can take a look at my training and make some recommendations. Let
know what you think.

Regards...Joel
2008-01-10 7:04 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

Joel-

When I click on your logs, it dopes not display them for me.  I think you may have to go into your logs, then go to Control Pannel (I think it is the top icon next to the calendar at the top) then on the page that pops up (which should be privacy settings) uncheck "Training log is Private"

Let me know when you're done and I will take a look.

Ben

2008-01-10 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1147205

User image

Regular
SF Bay Area
Ben,

Sorry about that. I thought I had this enabled for all to see. Please try again.

Thank you...Joel
2008-01-10 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

Joel-

No worries, thanks for updating it.  Keeping a detailed log is going to be very helpful.  In your log you had mentioned that you were still able to hold a conversation while oing your long runs.  That is a good sign, but it is often difficult to gauge how hard we are pushing ourselves.  One thing that has proven invaluable to me is my Heart Rate Montior.  You don't have to go off the deep end as far as $$$, but if you decide to get one, don't skimp on it either.  I have found that there are days my mind says PUSH, PUSH, PUSH, but when looking at my HRM my body is sayig, "You are at your peak for this workout" and there are times when it is the exact opposite.  Let me know if that is something you are interested in and I can help you out more with it.

Also, you had made a note about something you heard to the effect of "Long slow runs, make slow runners" While this may SEEM like it is true, it honestly is at the opposite end of the spectrum.  Being able to tax your body with short bursts of speed, and being able to do longer runs, are a necessity to effective training.

I will get back and go through more of your logs and see if there is anything else that pops up for me.  Overall, they look really good...and know that you are not the only one who thinks swimming is difficult, I am right there with ya!  Once you can get the breathing down, it becomes a lot easier!

2008-01-10 12:49 PM

Regular
Belvidere, IL
Hey There!

I am a 40 year old girl (can't say "woman"...sounds old!) who is very interested in completing my first triathlon in May. I have been doing a Boot Camp class since Oct. '05. It is a very intense class, always, and my endurance and ability to run has improved greatly. This class is on Tues. and Thurs. I have also been adding 1 day a week of interval training and weights to the boot camp. I wish to integrate the boot camp into my training because I really enjoy it and it challenges me. I have access to a pool and because of the weather here in Illinois, I wish to bike indoors during the cold months.

I work part time as a nurse in a Pediatric ICU, have 2 boys, and a great husband that I hope will soon be joining me in my love for being fit and healthy!

I definitely need guidance in how to train and what sort of schedule I need to stick to so that I can reach my goal. Still room in your group?

Thanks a ton!

Sandy

2008-01-10 12:58 PM

New user

Ben,
I am new to the site and to tri's. I am looking to do my first sprint tri this spring. I have a background in several sports and played baseball in college. I am very excited and determined about competeing in this tri and moving on to bigger ones. I do like to run and just completed my first half marathon this Dec. I would love to get in your group, all the advice i can get would be great. I don't know anyone who has done a tri so my resources are none.

Thanks,
Kevin
2008-01-10 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

Sandy/Kevin-

Welcome to the group!  There is plenty of room!  I see that this was the first post for both of you, so there are a lot of unknowns about what your backgrounds are.  So, if you wouldn't mind, please tell me what background you have in any endurance type sports, and any experience in any of the 3 disciplines.

Also, I have noted above for the others, but the easiest way for you to monitor your progress and me to help you along is to keep an accurate log.  If you look at the top of the page, there is a box that says "Training Log", click on that, and then click on the date in which you wish to enter your information.  After that, you can click on the "Blog" radio button (right above the calendar) and that will get you into your blog where you can review inspires, and make changes to your settings.

Again, welcome, please feel free to ask any questions that you feel necessary...there is no dumb question.

2008-01-10 3:50 PM
in reply to: #1148177

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

snady - 2008-01-10 12:49 PM  I definitely need guidance in how to train and what sort of schedule I need to stick to so that I can reach my goal. Still room in your group? Thanks a ton! Sandy

Do you have a specific race/distance in mind?  Or an approximate date?  This will help me to determine where to start with recomendations and what to point you in the direction of.

Ben

2008-01-10 3:51 PM
in reply to: #1148216

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

riverrat - 2008-01-10 12:58 PM Ben, I am new to the site and to tri's. I am looking to do my first sprint tri this spring.

It sounds like you have identified a time for your first race...do you have a specific distance in mind?  Also, what is your level of familiarity with the swim portion of the race?

Ben

Edited by benihana 2008-01-10 3:51 PM
2008-01-10 4:50 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Welcome!  I see that you are keeping a great log, and that IMAZ is on your horizon...your workouts look great, keep them up!  While I haven't done any IM races...yet...I am more than willing to field questions that I can, or find answers for you...and while I haven't been to Cabo, I have been to Playa del Carmen, and I loved it....I really don't think you can go wrong with either!   When is the wedding?

Thanks Ben.  Wedding day is July 12.  Do you find it difficult to find good weather to train in Minnesota?  I think I'd go crazy having to ride the trainer that long....

2008-01-10 6:17 PM
in reply to: #1148755

New user

I am planning on doing a sprint to start out with. I can swim like any old guy but can i swim for distance or endurance right now, no. I was going to order the book triathlon swimming made easy and order the drill dvd to go with it. It was written by Terry Laughlins. Her web site is totalimmersion.net Ihave heard nothing but good things from its reviews.
2008-01-11 7:32 AM

User image

Seattle
Benihana

I am not so new tot he site but would love to join your mentor group. My name is Jason, I am 30 and looking to run my first tri in June. I have falledn in a bd rut after getting out of the army and getting married...

Hopefully will be using this sport to get back into top shape...

I am currently working out using a 12 week program written by tom Holland...

I too am in MN and live on te southern side of the city...
2008-01-11 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

SynderJasonD - Welcome!  You are more than welcome to join the group...glad to see there is another MN'er here.  Maybe we will run into each other at some of the races this year. 

Well, that makes 6 people, so I will be closing the group.

I am traveling today, but will try to take some time and review eveyone's goals and training later today.

Ben

2008-01-11 8:25 AM
in reply to: #1148918

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
jcbolton - 2008-01-10 4:50 PM

Thanks Ben.  Wedding day is July 12.  Do you find it difficult to find good weather to train in Minnesota?  I think I'd go crazy having to ride the trainer that long....

Yeah, the winters here make it hard to get much of a bike in unless you are willing to do it on a traininer...I will probably log a couple 60 mile/3 hour trainer rides later this year (Feb/March)...I do, however, LOVE running outside when it is cold!  It is one of my favorite things to do.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Benihana's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 8