BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Benihana's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2008-02-29 12:57 PM
in reply to: #1124253

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Benihana's Group - CLOSED
If you tell them you are doing tri's they may try to push the geometry of a tri bike... For all around riding, group riding... i think you'll be happier with a pure road bike that you use for triathalons... I still have my Allez A1 and added aero bars for this year...

Make sure you get properly fit...

2008-02-29 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1244207

User image

Seattle
Oh yeah... and whatever you get... make sure you get some clip-in pedals and shoes! Then you can really get the most power...
2008-03-01 10:01 AM
in reply to: #1244168

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

Jason - The injury should be a great chance to work on your swimming!

Heal fast!

2008-03-03 8:14 AM

Regular
Belvidere, IL
Okay all of you great runners...any advice on how to breathe better while running? I definitely feel as though my lack of air and huffing/puffing is where I need to improve. I stop to walk because I can't breathe (okay, that's sounds dramatic, I know, but I don't know how else to describe it!), not because my legs are sore. I am still trying to incorporate the ChiRunning, but I still have not seen the DVD to help my technique and so far it doesn't help with the lungs!. What does everyone else do?? Am I doomed to HATE the running in my triathlons???
2008-03-03 8:29 AM
in reply to: #1248455

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Sandy-
            I have had similar issues in the past with breathing, and I found that if I breathe in when my left foot strikes the ground, and then out when my left foot strikes the ground, it seems to be a good pattern for me.  So, essentially, it is in for two foot strikes, out for two foot strikes.  As far as hating to run, and always being doomed, that is a hard one.  I am a firm believer that you can make yourself like anything, but you have to really work at it.  For example, When I ran my 1st (and only to this point) marathon in 2003, I HATED and dispised running, now I feel at ease with it and enjoy my weekend long runs.  So, I would recommend trying to get an extra run, if not two, in each week.  And when you are out there, tell your self that it is fun and you enjoy it, and through positive re-inforcement hopefully it will get better
Ben
2008-03-03 3:21 PM
in reply to: #1248490

Regular
Belvidere, IL
Thanks for the encouragement Ben! I AM doing this tri in April, so I will keep on it. It really is mind over matter. The entire time I ran yesterday I was saying to myself "I hate this!" That did not help, I am sure! I had the negative attitude before I went out. I had to work nights last night and I usually get grouchy about it, so there you go. My training plan only has me running 2-3x's/wk for 20-45min. (there is an hour run coming up!). How long do I need to run each time? Should I strive for time or distance? If I am feeling good, I can keep a 10min. mi. pace for 20-30min. at this point.

I will try the breathing you described. I find that getting a rhythm down when you breathe helps keep the momentum.

Sandy

2008-03-03 3:37 PM
in reply to: #1249684

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

Sandy-

At this time I would be shooting for overall time...that way your body gets used to the time that you are running...Maybe in a few weeks after you have gotten a good read on your pace for longer run, you can run for milage, but for now I would focus on getting the time in AND STAYING POSITIVE!!  Trust me...it will go A LOT FASTER when you have a smile on your face!

2008-03-03 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1249721

Regular
Belvidere, IL
Okay, time it is.

As I surf this site, I am reading lots about HR monitors. I have been wanting one for a while now, but have been putting it off. Before I was training for the tri, I was doing fartliks ( I know that's not how it's spelled!) with my running and getting about 2mi in easily in 20 min. I would get my HR to about 180-185, then walk until I was at 135, then kick it back up. I did that for 20 min. Does this have any place in helping with distance? Do you suppose that I am running too hard too fast to make the distance I need, and besides the old math calc., is there an easy way to find the best training target HR? 180 is max for a 40yr. old. I know I'm there without the monitor because I feel like I am going to vomit!
2008-03-04 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

I would highly reccomend getting a HRM.  If you do a search here on BT, there is a great thread (started by mikericci).  I think it is titles something like "max HR, your age-220 myth" or something like that.  It will help you set your limits for your HR levels for Zones 1-5

Ben

2008-03-06 7:39 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
How is everyone's training going?  Has everyone registered for the race that they have been planning on?
2008-03-06 7:47 AM
in reply to: #1255694

Regular
Belvidere, IL
I will register for my race when I get a swim time that I like. 12m is not ideal. (athletes are grouped based on swim times). I am sure I can do better. According to my friend that did this tri last year, I still have some time to improve and submit my entry.

I ran 3 mi. yesterday for my 35m scheduled run. It went really well. I was motivated and felt really good. I ran at a steady 5.5 pace, taking your advice on slow and steady. I am also concentrating alot on form when I run, trying to keep my upper body relaxed and landing on my midfoot/ball of foot instead of heel.

Sandy

2008-03-06 7:52 AM
in reply to: #1255715

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

glad to hear the run went well.  After you get more comfortable running, then that is the time to work on speed.  But from my experience, you don't want to work on speed with out a solid base, otherwise you put yourself at a greater risk of injury.  This happened to me in the midst of training for my 2nd marathon a few years ago, and it sucked!!  So just make sure to have a solid base.

As far as registering/not registering, I would not be embarrassed by your swim time, nor would I suggest that you base your registration off of it.  If you haven't been a swimmer your entire life, it will take some getting time to get the form down.  Heck, after 3 years I am getting consistantly better everytime I get in the pool, but I have a LONG way to go before I can swim at the front of the pack!

I would still reccomend registering sooner rather than later...plus, it may give you a little extra added incentive to get to the pool!

Did you find/decide on a bike yet?

2008-03-06 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Good to hear you had a good run Sandy.  I've heard and heard that base is key, and I'm definitely a believer.  I think all my running in zone 2 is finally paying off!

I'm racing Saturday.  It's going to be cold though.  We are getting a cold front rolling in, and temperatures are expected to be in the 30's.  But who cares?  I'll be racing! 

2008-03-06 11:21 AM
in reply to: #1255870

Regular
Belvidere, IL
Good luck on your race Saturday Clint! We have the same cold front affecting us this weekend...single digits at night. Enough already!!

Thanks again for the advice on the running. Now that I CAN do 3mi., should I just keep running the 3 and get very comfortable with it? When it is time to improve, should I run farther or faster?? And when do you think I will get my base down? The training plan I am following changes my run time frequently. Sometimes I am scheduled to run 20m, sometimes 35 and I think I have an hour coming up (ugh). What's my best bet?

I think I will go bike hunting tomorrow. I have the day free after my workout tomorrow.
2008-03-06 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

sandy - You should be increasing your time/milage by about 10% each week in order to get to your goal.  So, the next time you are scheduled to run, shoot for 40 minutes, then 45, then 50, then 55, then 60...before you know it, 60 minutes will feel like a SHORT run!

Clint- Good luck this weekend...

2008-03-07 4:06 PM

Regular
Belvidere, IL
Found a bike today, 54cm Trek 1000 at one of the local bike shops (there are only 2 in the city). $679.00...ouch. That does include all assembly and lifetime tune-ups. How is that for price? Also, I read in some forums that the tires on this bike are not so good. Do I need to worry about that now??

I also found the same bike, used, on eBay. the bid is currently 320.00. Pictures look nice, and it is also a 54cm. Anyone have any experience with used bikes and what is your feeling about buying first bike on eBay? The bid doesn't end for another day, so the price will go up for sure.

2008-03-07 4:33 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Very cool you're on your way to your first bike purchase.    Not very cool that I can't help you.    I've heard alot of people say that the Trek 1000 is a great first bike, but as far as buying used vs new, I really don't know.  But if they're offering lifetime tuneups, that sounds like a good deal.  Tune-ups can get expensive, especially over the life of a bike.
2008-03-08 9:48 PM

Regular
Belvidere, IL
Hey I just got through looking at everyone's training logs. I can't believe how much you guys train! I assume you have jobs...where do you fit it in?? I am happy just getting to the gym 5 days a week, and believe me, that's an improvement! Will I become an exercise freak after my first tri?? I envy you and truly respect your committment! Wow. It is motivation for me...time to step it up a bit! And thanks for giving the "new kid on the tri block" support...

Edited by snady 2008-03-08 9:50 PM
2008-03-09 1:43 PM

Regular
Belvidere, IL
Just got roped in by a friend for a 5K on April 12th. It's called the Red Shoe Run for organ donation awareness. It's a good cause and gives me another goal. I'm excited because I know I can actually run a 5K without passing out It should be fun!
2008-03-10 7:15 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

Yeah, training does become an obsession for me...especially during the summer when race season is in full force!  I do have a full time job, and am gone from 5:30am to 5:30pm.  Honestly, it is about commitment, plus having a spouse that enjoys working out as much as I do helps a TON!  My volume will probably a little more than double.  Trying to get my bike miles up now as I committed to a Century ride at the end of April, it sucks I have to log almost 2 hous on the traininer (and more in the upcoming weeks) but I think it does make you mentally stronger!

Congrats on signing up for the 5K!  I find that smaller races like that help me to keep my motivation and training up...it is kind of like a check point

2008-03-10 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Hey Sandy.  Ha, I do have a full-time job.  Unfortunately! 

Definitely echo what Ben says.  Training does become an obsession.  And I'm fortunate as well to have a SO who loves this sport as much as I do.  Although from now on, I will never sign up for an Ironman in April and have to train through winter.  That's too difficult with the weather.

Had a great race Saturday, although it was cold!  Getting out of a pool and running into 30 degree weather is only fun if you're doing a triathlon, I think. 

2008-03-10 2:31 PM
in reply to: #1263299

Regular
Belvidere, IL
Yeah, wasn't that some rotten luck with the weather?? Who'd a thunk it in Texas....

I am sure it helps significantly when the spouse is into working out too. My husband used to work out alot, but as the years have gone by, he doesn't do anything anymore. I bought him workout clothes for Christmas, and he has joined the Y again, but not too much action yet! I'll bet he is sick of me though...training for this tri is pretty much my hobby now and what I focus most of my free time on. He's starting to feel the pressure and he'll get to it when he's ready. He only gets defensive when I bring it up. I always tell him that I could kick his though !

Anyone deal with Bikes Direct? It's an online site that sells bikes, nice ones it seems, and about 1/2 the price of my LBS. Wow, I am not prepared to spend $700 on my first bike!! Bikes Direct has some nice ones in the $400 range...doable.
2008-03-10 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
I have never dealt with Bikes Direct...you may want to post this in the main forum section, as I am not sure how they are for customer service/reliability.
2008-03-10 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
I have never dealt with Bikes Direct...you may want to post this in the main forum section, as I am not sure how they are for customer service/reliability. 
2008-03-10 3:28 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

I know I've seen a thread about bikes direct.  You can probably search it and find something.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Benihana's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 8