BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2011-01-04 5:19 PM
in reply to: #3259026

Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!
Hi Hilde.

My name is Gina.  I am 49 and have never done any kind of triathalon or marathon.  I have always been very physically active...I walk 5 miles in an hour 3-4 times a week with my dog , swim laps 1-2x a week for an hour and strength train 3x a week.  I will be turning 50 at the end of 2011 and am looking to shake things up!  I'm kinda scared to dive into this,(no pun intended!) but I am willing to give it my all.  One small problem...I hate running!  Ugh!  But, I know there are all kinds of programs out there to help me work up to it.  I ride my bike a few times a month with my teenage son spring-fall(we live in Michigan) and we go about 7-10 miles easily at a time.  But, I don't have a fancy racing bike, just a regular woman's bike with a basket on it Tongue out!!  (My husband tells me I look like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz).  I'd be willing to buy one as I get better though.  I am happy with my weight...thanks to the strength training I can eat quite a bit without gaining.  I am a health nut, constantly harassing my family about eating healthy!

I am also am a breast cancer survivor (2008).  I am a registered nurse and am currently studying for my personal trainer certification.  I have been married to an awesome guy for 22 years and have 2 sons- one who has autism, a yellow lab named Lizzie (hence, the sign-on name) and a cat.

There is a mini Triathalon near my home scheduled for the end of August that I would really like to do.  Given what I've told you, do you think this is "do-able"?  I am willing to work hard.  I am not real techno-savvy, so I still need to play around on this website to figure out all it offers, as far as posting my training schedules, etc.  But, I would love to join this group and benefit from all the experience and knowledge you and some of the other members have to offer.

This may sound strange, but I'm kinda scared of running.  I've heard about people who ruin their knees, have chronic back pain from pounding the pavement, etc.  But, I also see people who literally become addicted to it, so there must be something about it that makes people keep doing it!!

2011-01-04 5:24 PM

Bummer!!  By the time I finished my reply, the group was closed Cry.  Oh well...good luck everyone!
2011-01-04 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Hello to everyone! I'm very excited to get this new season underway! 

2011-01-04 7:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Wow - what a great group we have building...I am SO glad to be back with all of the crazies from last year and looking forward to getting to know the new members as well (watch out for Wilson...he's nuts! Tongue out)

Margaret - I'm in NH also; I live in West Lebanon...are you far from me?

Joe (i think it was!) - I grew up in Wisconsin (suburb of Milwaukee)

OK, about me:
NAME:
  Marsha

STORY:  I am 38 years old, (or 39 in triathlon years!) and am starting training for my second season of triathlon.  I am a swimmer first, then comes the running, and I'm a realtive newbie at biking.  I’ve been a swimmer all my life, and swam division I in college at the University of Minnesota. Back in July of 2008 my daughter was about 18 months old and I decided I could no longer use the excuse that I "just had a baby" so I joined weight watchers and started the Couch to 5K running program. After I completed that in September I needed another goal so a (crazy!) friend of mine convinced me that signing up for a half marathon in November was the way to go (who goes from 5K to HM??? - what was I thinking!??) So I ran my first HM in November 2008 and have done 4 since then along with many 5K's and a few 10K's. Between July 2008 and February 2009 I lost just over 50 pounds. In the fall of 2009 we moved from VA to NH and I decided I needed a new goal to stay on the workout train since my life was kind of turned upside down with the move - I needed something to focus on rather than the stress that would drive me to eat and gain the weight back. Since I was always a swimmer and felt like a descent runner I thought triathlon was the next step. I bought a bike in April 2010 and started Tri-ing! I competed in 2 sprint Tri's and 1 Oly Tri and LOVED them all! During that training I was approached by a woman at the gym who asked me to join her bodybuilding team I thought she was kidding but, it turns out she really thought I would be good at it. So, at the end of my Tri season (August 2010) I began training for my first bodybuilding competition which I competed in in October 2010 - I placed 5th overall in the novice group and got the award for the best novice poser so, I guess she was right! The transformation I saw in my body was AMAZING, and I had a blast! Since then I have been in maintenance mode and as of last week started training up for another bodybuilding competition in March Once that is done I will switch modes back to triathlon training

FAMILY STATUS:  Married for 11 years to a journalist (sports reporter) with 2 kids (a 6 year old son named Easton and an almost 4 year old daughter named Rya).  We have three dogs: Tosa (Rotweiler mix), Taymu (??mutt of some sort??), and Taco (Chihuahua) and 2 cats (Squeak and Oreo).

CURRENT TRAINING AND RACE PLAN:  The focus at the moment is on my bodybuilding and maintaining some cardio fitness! I will be doing some snowshoe running races in the coming months as well and then in March I will switch back to full fledged tri training I am planning 2 sprints and an Oly again this year with several trail runs and road running races sprinkled in The swimming comes easy to me, I enjoy the running and the biking is "ok" but probably the area where I have the most to gain in terms of improvement.

2011-01-04 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3277443

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - OPEN
All right!!!  We have new peeps to warp!!!!  I'm so happy to be allowed to participate again....whew...probably came down to a council vote and I only made it in by a slim margin...Good thing I have a picture of a goat and another MMM member????....blackmail always works..haha...just kidding....about blackmail.  Anyhow, look forward to getting to know Jen, Joe, Jon and Margaret!!!!  New guys in the group....be nice to my ladies....they've been all mine for awhile and I've grown very fond of them.....I will try not to get jealous, but it will be so so hard!!! LMAO.  Hey, looks like you guys and gal will bring some cool new perspectives to the group - looking forward to learning from you, inspiring you and being inspired....Off to update my friends list and start taking a look at your logs!!!!!  WELCOME ABOARD - GLAD TO HAVE YOU!!!!
2011-01-04 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3278239

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - OPEN
Wow, things work at warp speed over here!!  First of all, Peggy has decided to drop out of our group but will still be checking in on us all (as I'm sure we will on her too).  I also invited a member of my mentor group before I became a mentor to join our group.  He stopped by our thread several times, and I think he will spar very nicely with Wilson!  I also extended an invitation to Gina (see above) since she was so nice to post a bio for us and sounds like she will fit in with all of us, but she will let me know if she already joined another group.

2011-01-04 9:14 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
2011-01-04 10:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi old friends, and welcome new members! I'm back for another round of MMM-ism, even though I'm pretty sure most of you are pervy weirdos!

My name is Tammy, and I am a triathlete. (Chorus: Hi, Tammy). I usually go by Turtle around here to distinguish me from the other Tammy. I'm 43, an airline pilot, a wife and a mom, so my workouts sometimes happen at weird times & places. Thanks to the travel, I get to experience dodgy public pools in every corner of the country, and I have a drawer full of winter running gear, even though I live in perennially summery Phoenix.

Being athletic is relatively new to me. I was the fat kid in school and did nothing more active than marching band until my 20's, when I started running to lose weight. It worked, and I was an on-and-off runner and regular exerciser from then on. I started training for my first (sub-sprint) Tri a year ago, looking for some cross-training to avoid the running injuries that plagued me. I was instantly hooked and went on to do a couple of regular Sprints and an Oly. My big goal for this year is to finish my first half-Iron distance tri in April. Endurance comes easy for me, but speed is my nemesis. It doesn't come naturally and I hate training for it! BUT, I don't want to take all day to finish my race, either. I just aspire to be middle-of-the-pack. As long as race volunteers aren't asking me "Are you OK??" I'll be happy!

I look forward to hanging out with you all for the new season of S/B/R!

Tammy/turtle

p.s. my user name- tstl- stands for "the sky's the limit" 

2011-01-05 6:28 AM
in reply to: #3278478

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
OH!!  THAT'S what tstl stands for!!  We could have a round of how we chose our user names!

Mine is hildekq.... the hilde part is obvious and if I had scoped around this site a little before I chose my user name, I probably would have chosen something different, since around BT, KQ stands for Kona Qualify and that ain't NEVER gonna happen!!  I've called myself KQ for years, it stands for Kodaly Queen... Kodaly being a method of teaching music to the kids, basically a music literacy program that sequentially teaches kids how to read and write music.  When I had cancer, I was on a breast cancer forum and I would sign off as CQ, stands for Cancer Queen, figured if I had to have cancer, might as well be Queen at it!!  Can you see the Queen theme here??
2011-01-05 6:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI

Looks like a great group.  I'm really up for round 2 of the MMM's.  We had a lot of fun in the first go-around.  Here is my story:

Name/age: Janet, age 51 (52 in tri years)

Family:  I have a wonderfully supportive husband and 2 coon-hound / lab mix pups.  Neither my husband nor my dogs have any interest in triathlons or anything remotely similar. 

Story:  I consider myself a runner and always have been.  I'm not too fast, but I generally enjoy every mile.  In 2001 I ran my first marathon, and completed my 8th marathon last year.  I've also run countless 5k, 10k, 10 milers, and 1/2 marathons along the way.  Last year I felt I needed to try something new and it was a toss up between trying some ultra marathon distances or triathlons.  You can guess which way I went.  I completed 3 sprint distance triathlons last year.   I still may have a ultra in me but not in the forseeable future.  Swimming is my weakness, I am new to cycling but feel my runners legs can pretty much hold their own on the bike.

Goals: My training log contains my race schedule, I will continue to fine-tune things as time goes along..  I like to concentrate on running in the winter months and have a marathon scheduled for the end of May.    2011 will include at least 1 OLY.  I am lusting after a HIM but think I need to at least attempt the OLY first before making a commitment.  Since swimming is my weakness, I will be spending lots of time in the pool in order to get some endurance in the water.

I look forward to following everyone's progress as they work towards their goals.

2011-01-05 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
COOL! I always wondered what tstl meant and I love your name story Hilde. My story isn't very exciting...PTWykes...PT because I'm a Physical Therapist, and my last name is Wykes...pretty boring!

I can't remember from last year, is there a way to get an e-mail notification when this thread is updated?

2011-01-05 8:29 AM

Freeland
So I sit here at work for another 12 hours and read about all the intersting people in our group.  I can not wait to learn more about you all.  I love my job except for the fact that I work a swing shift and I swtich from days to nights every 2 weeks.  Makes it a little difficult to stay consistent with eating and excersing.  I am drinking my last soda right now and then I am done.  Will be switching to water shortly.  I even made my lunch today.  For the remainder of the day I will try and do 25 push ups and 25 crunches every hour. Starting at 10 am and ending at 6 pm. 8 rounds.  I will try and get a short run in this evening.  Hope everybody has a good week.
2011-01-05 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3278720

User image

Veteran
     Janet - I've been talking about wanting to do a HIM since last season and figure that if I plan for one and then do the prep work (to include some smaller Tri's) I am more likely to get it done....just a thought.   It would be great to complete a HIM and a Marathon the year I turn 40!!

Marsha - Your transformation was AMAZING last season when you did the bodybuilding competition and I cannot wait to see how well you do this year since you already know what to expect! I bet you blow their socks off!!

'Turtle' - A PILOT!! Holy goodness Batman!! I have a friend of mine from highschool who flies private planes and recently moved to India...do you fly commercially? I LOVE "The Skies the limit" and is a mantra I am basically trying to instill in my little girls. I look forward to a 2nd season of inspiration w/you!

Hilde - We should just say...ALL HAIL THE QUEEN!! LOL   I had no idea that's what your handle stood for - thought it was just a nickname of some sort. I am looking forward to another year of friendship and inspiration (and GOOD movies) with you!!

Shawn and Wilson - I expect that the hillarity will continue. Sometimes that is the BEST INSPIRATION of all!!

Joe and Jon - Welcome to our crazy and wonderful group! 

Hyping myself up to get ready for this 4 miler....w/the jogging stroller and fatty baby girl.....
2011-01-05 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3279068

User image

Extreme Veteran
TTucker - 2011-01-05 6:48 AM   'Turtle' - A PILOT!! Holy goodness Batman!! I have a friend of mine from highschool who flies private planes and recently moved to India...do you fly commercially? I LOVE "The Skies the limit" and is a mantra I am basically trying to instill in my little girls. I look forward to a 2nd season of inspiration w/you!

Hilde - We should just say...ALL HAIL THE QUEEN!! LOL   I had no idea that's what your handle stood for - thought it was just a nickname of some sort. I am looking forward to another year of friendship and inspiration (and GOOD movies) with you!!

Hyping myself up to get ready for this 4 miler....w/the jogging stroller and fatty baby girl.....

Hey, Tammy #1, yep, I'm commercial. I didn't know you were working towards becoming a clinical psych- that was actually a career track of mine once or twice, too! I got my undergrad degree in psych, a master's in sociology, and have gone back a couple of times and done coursework towards a master's in counseling psych. I got to where I could see myself doing counseling, I just couldn't see myself NOT flying, so I decided to ride out this crazy career for the time being! Have a good run- at least pushing little chubbo gives you some resistance training!

Tammy #2 / turtle 
2011-01-05 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3279232

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Marsha, at the bottom of this page is a little box that says "Toggle email notification"... click on that to set it up.  But be warned, it sends you an email for EVERY post!!  Yesterday I had about 15 emails waiting for me... I turned it off, and just come over here all the time to check.

Jon, sounds like a plan, no soda and pushups and crunches every hour!!  I can imagine swing shift work would be hard to work around with training.  That's where a bike trainer helps since you can ride whenever.  I run in the dark, it's very peaceful.
2011-01-05 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3279264

User image

Extreme Veteran
OK, Garmin Gods and Goddesses, I need help!

I got my 310 (and all the accessories) for Christmas, and have used it a few times. I am about ready to chuck it out the window. Here are the problems I'm having:

- yesterday I stopped at the midpoint of my long ride for a pit stop. I hit "stop," and a minute later it chirped at me and popped up a window that said "resting HR 94 bpm." That's fine, but the window never went away, even after I started the timer back up, so I couldn't read anything for the rest of my ride. Is there a way to clear that out without ending the workout or clearing out data?

- Today, I put the bike on the trainer and finally installed the speed/cadence sensors. They are verified to be working, and the Garmin HAS detected them. I set up a 'bike' mode and selected data fields to display. The problem- there's no cadence display. I tried everything, but even on the data field selection screen, it's not an option (just display 1, 2, 3 or 4 fields, none of which is cadence).

- Now I have no data. I went ahead and used it on my bike and swim workouts today, but it recorded no data. WTF? All I know how to do is hit 'start' and 'stop,' and now I guess I know how to change from 'bike' to 'run' to 'other,' but I'm clearly missing something here.

Any suggestions? Can someone please come over to my house and show me how to use this little bugger?

turtle 

2011-01-05 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3280351

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Aw Tammy, I really don't know anything about the 310XT... I only have experience with the 305... you may want to post on the Gear forum or even on the main tri forum for someone that has one.  I've heard Garmin Support is wonderful too...

Sorry Crying 2

Just thought of something... are you pressing ENTER every time you select something??  It's kind of a pain in the arse, but it takes a lot of button pushing to get it set up.  I know I could do it if I had it in my hands... too bad it's a bit of a drive to your house!

Edited by hildekq 2011-01-05 5:35 PM
2011-01-05 5:44 PM
in reply to: #3280648

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yeah, I think I'm pushing the buttons correctly. The good news is, the data uploading problem spontaneously resolved itself about an hour later... no explaining that one. Now, if only I could understand that whole cadence thing...
2011-01-05 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3279232

User image

Veteran

Tammy (TSTL) - Good for you! I am always amazed at women who do the unexpected and break the 'glass ceiling'!! I worked as a Tank Mechanic in the Army for 4 years to buck the system telling me that because I am female I can only work certain jobs!!
 I actually started on this journey in Psychology 20 years ago after my first baby boy was born, but thought that with all the 'baggage' I had it wouldn't be the right field for me. Got my BS in Criminal Justice, tried some Business courses....and realized that psych is really my PASSION. I'm leaning more toward the forensic side of the field or the research/academia and would like to see myself w/my PhD in 10 years.....

2011-01-05 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
I feel like I'm meeting all of you for the first time after reading the bios! I guess now it's easier to associate the background info with the person. 

Regarding usernames, I think mine is pretty obvious. My name is Jordan Brigman and some people will call me Jordie. I wish I was a bit more creative. 

On a training note- I got back in the pool today after at least a month of not swimming. It was nice.  My arms were feeling it pretty quickly though.
I also ran my 3 miles on the treadmill. One of these days I'll get outside, but I'm a wimp  in the cold and snow.  I like to watch it from my window more than run through it.
While I'm just starting my marathon plan, I won't be starting my tri plan til Feb. I'm not sure how that is going to work. I haven't put too much time in comparing them.

I hope everyone had a great day! 
2011-01-05 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3281019

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Okay, Gina is joining us, this should be our FINAL LIST!!  Please copy and paste THIS list to your dashboard...

Denise - dajotkjo
Jen - gnome
Janet - jcarmody
Joe - joes
Jordan - jordiebrigs
Michele - nina44shell
Marsha - PTWykes
Tammy - tstl
Tammy - TTucker
Alex - wrkinprogress
Wilson - wsilverthorne

Margaret - Bunsy
Jon - jwheat
Shawn - Sulcus
Gina - lizzilvr
Hilde - hildekq

Intersting side note.... at the bottom of the area where you add friends there is a
list of people who have YOU as a friend... ummmm, like, I have 2 people that have me
as a friend and I have NO idea who they are!!  So if you are one of them,
please introduce yourself so I don't feel like I'm being stalked!

(Oh, Wilson and Peggy, you were on this guys friend list too....)

Edited by hildekq 2011-01-06 8:00 AM

2011-01-05 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3280744

User image

Extreme Veteran
TTucker - 2011-01-05 4:33 PM

Tammy (TSTL) - Good for you! I am always amazed at women who do the unexpected and break the 'glass ceiling'!! I worked as a Tank Mechanic in the Army for 4 years to buck the system telling me that because I am female I can only work certain jobs!!
 I actually started on this journey in Psychology 20 years ago after my first baby boy was born, but thought that with all the 'baggage' I had it wouldn't be the right field for me. Got my BS in Criminal Justice, tried some Business courses....and realized that psych is really my PASSION. I'm leaning more toward the forensic side of the field or the research/academia and would like to see myself w/my PhD in 10 years.....

A tank mechanic?? That's freakin' AWESOME!! I just love hearing the jobs people have held. Some of my copilots' previous jobs include: elephant trainer, spelunker, and submarine captain. Me, I paid my way through flight school by taking a weekend job teaching people to ride motorcycles. And, btw, I think people who have had to deal with baggage make excellent counselors, so you're on the right path!
2011-01-05 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3281044

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
hildekq - 2011-01-05 10:00 PM Okay, Gina is joining us, this should be our FINAL LIST!!  Please copy and paste THIS list to your dashboard...

Denise - dajotkjo
Jen - gnome
Janet - jcarmody
Joe - joes
Jordan - jordiebrigs
Michele - nina44shell
Marsha - PTWykes
Tammy - tstl
Tammy - TTucker
Alex - wrkinprogress
Wilson - wsilverthorne

Margaret - Bunsy
Jon - jwheat
Shawn - Sulcus
Gina - lizzilvr
Hilde - hildekq

Intersting side note.... at the bottom of the area where you add friends there is a list of people who have YOU as a friend... ummmm, like, I have 2 people that have me as a friend and I have NO idea who they are!!  So if you are one of them, please introduce yourself so I don't feel like I'm being stalked!

(Oh, Wilson and Peggy, you were on this guys friend list too....)

This is great news.....I love stalkers...the excitement that adds is priceless!!!  Hmm...I'll have to go see who that is.....

And I'll update my dashboard...And a big welcome to Gina!!!!! 
2011-01-05 10:37 PM
in reply to: #3281044

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Hilde, WesMaster123 is the only one I don't know.....still have no clue......I like fans tho...all good.  srichards428 is a friend of mine I kinda met at the Eagle Creek Tri...that's a cool story!!...are those the two???  I know some people who know some people if we need to remove some kneecaps.....just sayin'

And now you have more MEN to protect you...since I'm not the only one anymore...boo hoo...my girls aren't all mine...sad sad...but I'll share..haha  On second thought you bunch might kick my lilly A$$...so maybe you don't need any of us...dunno....another sad thought..haha 
2011-01-05 11:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
So, I haven't quite figured out all the stuff around here, so when you say to copy and paste the list of people to your dashboard, what are you talking about?  And where is the list of people who have you as friends?  I'm confused....

As to my user name, it's a nickname from college that has stuck throughout the years.  My sophmore year of college I was doing laundry with some friends, and was waiting for them to finish, and had perched myself on a dryer to wait.  The way I was sitting reminded my friend of a garden gnome (the ones that sit on mushrooms) and the name has stuck ever since.  It doesn't help that I am short and round like a garden gnome, I suppose. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  

of 70