in reply to: #3570990

User image

Regular
Shoreview, MN
Subject: RE: Introduce Yourself!

Name: Jared
Years doing Triathlon: 3rd summer
Favorite Race: Door County Half
Home: Shoreview/Hugo... Native Minnesotan who grew up in Shoreview. Moved around for a number of years while in the Marine Corps and landed back here after moving on. 
Training Stomping Grounds: I generally ride all over Washington County areas (Square Lake etc...), OWS in Square Lake when I can, swim masters with NASC, and run the various paths around the Shoreview area (Turtle Lake loop is my goto route), and I workout at LAFitness in Roseville almost every weekday during lunch.
Other interesting facts: 
-I have 4 kids under the age of 7 (They are AMAZING!!! The boys (6 & 7) did their first tri at Chisago kids last year:-) ).
-I like tattoos.
-Learned to run and be active so I could survive bootcamp 10 years ago
-Got the Ironman/tri bug from stories told to me by some guys I used to train with who were on the USMC Marathon and Ironman teams. 

If you see a guy with tattoo'd calves and ribs and he's getting passed on the bike and trying to re-pass everyone on the run, say hi, it's probably me;-)

Peace!

2011-06-29 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
St Paul, MN

Great idea! Here's my addition to the thread.

Name - Eric

Years doing triathlon - 2

Favorite race - Trinona '11, my first oly

Home - Oakdale, MN which means I swim Square Lake (and the area YMCAs), run a varriety of great local (and hilly) routes, and bike all over Washington County (I love Stillwater climbs on the bike)

Other interesting facts - Married with 4 kids. My other 2 wheeled vehicle is a Harley. I've got 13 tattoos, soon to be 14. I love open water swimming and long (and fast) bike rides.

2011-06-29 9:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Great idea for a thread, Sarah!!

Name-Ryan

Years of Tri-this is my first! Did Plymouth indoor tri in March and Buffalo Sprint earlier this month (got a flat on the bike, so still haven't found a favorite). I'll be at Lifetime Oly and Maple Grove Sprint yet this Summer.

Location-I live in the southwest corner of Maple Grove, and have been in the Twin Cities 8 years now (lived in Hopkins til last summer, grew up in Peoria, IL). Favorite routes are the MG tri routes and a run from home to Weaver Lake Park and back. I love the hills around the Liberty course, as well.

Other Facts: I was a diver at a small D1 college in northern Indiana (the swimmers always joked that the reason we had lifeguards at practice was because divers don't actually know how to swim), and still suck at running. If you see a goof with a gold helmet (matches the college football team) riding his bike out in the western suburbs, that's probably me Wink

2011-06-29 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3573941

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Oh come on!  No more silly pictures?

I know it's hard to top me and Eric... (that's gross by the way)
2011-06-29 9:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Name - Denise

Years doing triathlon - 3

Favorite tri - Lakes Country (Baxter) but Nevis holds a special place in my heart as my 1st.

Home - Pine River (30 miles north of Brainerd).  But we're moving near the Cities next year, maybe Stillwater.

Other - I was an overweight coach potato until the age of 57.  Started running - eventually ran Twin Cities Marathon in '07 - training for Whistlestop I hurt knee - had surgery - doctor suggested I switch to tris.

2011-06-30 7:51 AM

User image

New user

Hey there!

Name: Craig

Years doing Triathlon:  0 (doing first Sprint July 9 at Nikomis)

Home:  Minnetonka, I am originally from Detroit and have only lived here for just over a year.  I love it here and can't wait to explore more or the Minneapolis area.

Favorite Tri Race: TBD

Other interesting facts:  1 year ago I weighed 298lbs and smoked almost 2 packs a day.  Today, I weigh 230lbs and am a grateful non-smoker (6 mos).  Instead of saying, "I'm going to start eating better and excercise", I wanted to pick something tangible and, at the time, a bit ridiculous.  A friend of mine has been doing triathlons for years and suggested I sign up.  I replied (in November), YOU HAVE GOT TO BE OUT OF YOUR MIND!!!  But the seed was planted and I committed to doing a sprint shortly after.  My first race is in 9 days.  I have worked very hard to get where I am now, and still have a ways to go.  I feel that I am ready for this sprint, but I am nervous nonetheless.  I am very happy to have found this site where I can network with other triathletes in the area.  I have sooo many questions!!!!  Nice to meet you all.  Take care.

2011-06-30 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3573852

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
jarheadjred - 2011-06-29 8:30 PM

Name: Jared
Years doing Triathlon: 3rd summer
Favorite Race: Door County Half
Home: Shoreview/Hugo... Native Minnesotan who grew up in Shoreview. Moved around for a number of years while in the Marine Corps and landed back here after moving on. 
Training Stomping Grounds: I generally ride all over Washington County areas (Square Lake etc...), OWS in Square Lake when I can, swim masters with NASC, and run the various paths around the Shoreview area (Turtle Lake loop is my goto route), and I workout at LAFitness in Roseville almost every weekday during lunch.
Other interesting facts: 
-I have 4 kids under the age of 7 (They are AMAZING!!! The boys (6 & 7) did their first tri at Chisago kids last year:-) ).
-I like tattoos.
-Learned to run and be active so I could survive bootcamp 10 years ago
-Got the Ironman/tri bug from stories told to me by some guys I used to train with who were on the USMC Marathon and Ironman teams. 

If you see a guy with tattoo'd calves and ribs and he's getting passed on the bike and trying to re-pass everyone on the run, say hi, it's probably me;-)

Peace!

Jared:  My wife and I just took the plunge and joined NASC.  We'll see you at the pool! 

About me...

Name: Gentry Walker

Years Doing Triathlon:  This is year #5

Home: Arden Hills

Training Grounds:  My wife and I can be seen running the turtleman course almost daily, also other paths in and around Shoreview/Arden hills.  We like to bike out at Square Lake.

Other interests:  College Hockey, Scuba Diving, BBQ....

Favorite race:  Liberty Half, Lakes Country Tri

2011-06-30 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3574299

User image

Veteran
Golden Valley, MN
cnickdrive - 2011-06-30 7:51 AM

Hey there!

Name: Craig

Years doing Triathlon:  0 (doing first Sprint July 9 at Nikomis)

Home:  Minnetonka, I am originally from Detroit and have only lived here for just over a year.  I love it here and can't wait to explore more or the Minneapolis area.

Favorite Tri Race: TBD

Other interesting facts:  1 year ago I weighed 298lbs and smoked almost 2 packs a day.  Today, I weigh 230lbs and am a grateful non-smoker (6 mos).  Instead of saying, "I'm going to start eating better and excercise", I wanted to pick something tangible and, at the time, a bit ridiculous.  A friend of mine has been doing triathlons for years and suggested I sign up.  I replied (in November), YOU HAVE GOT TO BE OUT OF YOUR MIND!!!  But the seed was planted and I committed to doing a sprint shortly after.  My first race is in 9 days.  I have worked very hard to get where I am now, and still have a ways to go.  I feel that I am ready for this sprint, but I am nervous nonetheless.  I am very happy to have found this site where I can network with other triathletes in the area.  I have sooo many questions!!!!  Nice to meet you all.  Take care.

Hi Craig.  Based on your self-description of your former self, you may be interested in the blog of a friend of mine:  http://fatsmoker2ironman.wordpress.com/

He stopped smoking, lost a lot of weight (more to go), recently did his first tri, with more to come and the goal of eventually doing an ironman. 

Good luck with your upcoming first tri.  Enjoy it!

2011-06-30 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

My turn:

Name: Troy

Years in Tri: This is my first season.

Favorite Race: TBD, but I finished two sprints so far this year and just signed up for Brewhouse(short) and have two sprints in July to do around Dayton. 

Home: as of 1 Aug... Duluth

Other interesting Facts: Just hit 18/20 yrs in Air Force.  We (wife, 3 kids, and petting zoo) are coming home to Duluth were I started this adventure and to teach AFROTC at UMD.  Started the Tri idea as a way to keep moving and exercising, im a clyde. I like it a lot and am looking forward to a day when I transition from MTB to a tri-bike.  Hope to see you at various races and events later this summer!

2011-06-30 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Grove

Name: Carl Hoang

Years doing triathlon: - 1st year back from sabatical since 1992

Favorite Tri Race: So far it's Liberty Triathlon

Home: Maple Grove since 1991.

Other Interesting Facts: I've started training back on 10/10/10.
Married and our kids are 25, 21, 20 and last two still staying with us and going to colleges.
Computer geek and working at North Memorial Hospital as Database Administrator.
Grew up playing soccer and its my passion. Running for training and got hooked on middle and long distances.
Used to do lots of running races and triathlons prior to sabatical. Finished 4 TC Marathons.
Coached my kids traveling soccer teams until they're 16 and 18.
This consumed most and probably all of my free time.
Coached my son's Osseo High School soccer team and won 2008 State Championship for his senior year.
Hiked Superior hiking trail, Yellowstone NP, and did a round-trip around Grand Teton.
The Grand Teton hiking was the best one. 70 miles in 5 days end of July where it's scorching hot.
Avid HS sports photographers in trying to earn some cash for my fun activities.
http://www.bestactionshots.com

I'm coming back with a BANG! this year. But I'll scale back next year with races.
My goal is to do an Ironman before I'm turning 60 and continue doing triathlons until 80.

Final pic from Teton trip. This pic was made from 5 different pics. Grand Teton

2011-06-30 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3575290

User image

Veteran
Golden Valley, MN
Me_Xman - 2011-06-30 1:45 PM

...Computer geek and working at North Memorial Hospital as Database Administrator...

Hey Carl.  I'm a dba too.  Oracle at Target.  And great pic!  I copied it to include in my rotating wallpaper images.  Hope you don't mind.

2011-06-30 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3575343

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Grove

No problem. I'm glad you like it. We're running Oracle, SQL Server, and Cache over here. Plenty of databases to keep us busy.

tribomber - 2011-06-30 2:06 PM

Hey Carl.  I'm a dba too.  Oracle at Target.  And great pic!  I copied it to include in my rotating wallpaper images.  Hope you don't mind.

2011-06-30 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Name - Kelly

Years racing - This is my 8th season. I am probably the resident old timer on BT from MN (or if not, very close to it). I registered in February, 2004 and have been logging pretty much daily since March 1, 2004. One would think I would be faster by now. ha ha

Favorite Tri Race - Heart of the Lakes

Home - Hastings

Other Facts:
  I am also the resident slow runner here on BT from MN. Cool Even on my best day I'm slow, but I've been battling plantar fasciitis for two years now, so at this point I am about as speedy as a slug. I have met some pretty cool people through this site, and hope to meet more. I am originally from the U.P. of Michigan, so that makes me a raging Packer fan. But I try hard not to be a jerk about it. Innocent

2011-06-30 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN

Name Dustin

Years I'd say this is my 2nd year, but I did a du a few years ago, and did TurtleKid about 20 years ago

Race  Whichever is the last one I did, but I really liked Waconia for the TT start.  Non tri race (there are such things I suppose) is Victory Days Races, for the 10k and 5k double.

Home South St. Paul, I like to ride in southern Washington County where the rollers are, and my favorite running route in Mendota has been under water all summer.

Other  Two kids with old people names, and a mean looking dog.  I play hockey twice a week from September till May, and I'm a goalie which explains some of my oddness, and fondness for "gear".  I wake up early for work, 3:30am, which makes getting in doubles pretty tough, but I don't have to work many Fridays. 

2011-07-01 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3575343

St. Paul
tribomber - 2011-06-30 2:06 PM
Me_Xman - 2011-06-30 1:45 PM

...Computer geek and working at North Memorial Hospital as Database Administrator...

Hey guys - i'm also a database geek (not dba, but bi). And Carl - I lived in Grand Teton National Park for 4 years - beautiful place - but I've never seen a better picture than yours!

Mary

2011-07-01 7:40 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Name - Jim

Years racing - This is my 7th season of racing triathlons.  I was a runner and x-c ski racer forever (high school teams) before getting bored with marathons and gave “tris a try” after a friend suggested it.  I did IMWI a year later.  I’ve started 7 Ironman races and finished 5.  I’ve qualified for the World Duathlon Championships twice, and also the Ironman World Championships 70.3 twice….ended up not going to any of the 4 believe it or not.  Member of the Wild River Triathlon Club…you’ll see our blue and black racing kits everywhere

Favorite Races – Apple Duathlon, Timberman (Grand Rapids), Ironman Canada, American Birkebeiner x-c ski marathon

Home – Osceola, WI    I know Bryan (mndiver) is gonna give me crap for being a ‘Sconi but my office is in Bloomington, MN and I do 99.9% of my racing in MN (Midwest Multisport Series primarily) so hopefully Emily won’t delete my post!

Other Facts:  Wildlife biologist.  From New England originally.  Recently divorced.  Age 50

2011-07-01 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3572002

St. Paul
silentcs42 - 2011-06-28 8:39 PM

Costa Mesa is a beautiful city.  I love that whole area. 

I hail from Torrance, but moved to Riverside in my late teens. Went to Cal State San Bernardino and then to Texas A&M for grad school.

Cool - it's so funny how people end up in different places. As a southern belt kid, do you find the winters hard sometimes? Not having cut my teeth on snow drifts, it sort of gets to me sometimes.

Mary

2011-07-01 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3576333

User image

Elite
Birkierunner - 2011-07-01 7:40 AM

Name - Jim

Years racing - This is my 7th season of racing triathlons.  I was a runner and x-c ski racer forever (high school teams) before getting bored with marathons and gave “tris a try” after a friend suggested it.  I did IMWI a year later.  I’ve started 7 Ironman races and finished 5.  I’ve qualified for the World Duathlon Championships twice, and also the Ironman World Championships 70.3 twice….ended up not going to any of the 4 believe it or not.  Member of the Wild River Triathlon Club…you’ll see our blue and black racing kits everywhere

Favorite Races – Apple Duathlon, Timberman (Grand Rapids), Ironman Canada, American Birkebeiner x-c ski marathon

Home – Osceola, WI    I know Bryan (mndiver) is gonna give me crap for being a ‘Sconi but my office is in Bloomington, MN and I do 99.9% of my racing in MN (Midwest Multisport Series primarily) so hopefully Emily won’t delete my post!

Other Facts:  Wildlife biologist.  From New England originally.  Recently divorced.  Age 50

Emily- could you please delete this post before we get more of his "Ilk" coming over here.
2011-07-01 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3576664

User image

Pro
mndiver - 2011-07-01 9:51 AM Emily- could you please delete this post before we get more of his "Ilk" coming over here.

Oh, so I take it you aren't coming to Madison, WISCONSIN to race in September?? 
2011-07-01 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3576664

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
mndiver - 2011-07-01 9:51 AM Emily- could you please delete this post before we get more of his "Ilk" coming over here.

No way, all handsome men are welcome here

2011-07-01 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3576692

User image

Elite
Birkierunner - 2011-07-01 10:03 AM
mndiver - 2011-07-01 9:51 AM Emily- could you please delete this post before we get more of his "Ilk" coming over here.

Race? Heck no. I'm just trying to survive that monstrosity. I was just there riding the course on Monday and was thinking about how cool that training weekend was you put on a few years back.
2011-07-01 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3576812

User image

Pro
mndiver - 2011-07-01 10:52 AM
Birkierunner - 2011-07-01 10:03 AM

Race? Heck no. I'm just trying to survive that monstrosity. I was just there riding the course on Monday and was thinking about how cool that training weekend was you put on a few years back.

it was a most excellent adventure
2011-07-01 12:36 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Sarah, great post!  Glad to see that the banter continues on the MN forum. 

Name - Sal
Years doing triathlon - 6, though I haven't been on BT actively for the past year.
Favorite Tri Race - Minneman: where I was first introduced to the community that is BT
Home - Farmington.  Swim - LTF Bloomington or Lake Nokomis on my way up to work (Golden Valley), Lake Nokomis or LTF Lakeville outdoor pool after work.  Biking south of the cities - Cedar Ave south of Lakeville Cub, Hwy 3 to Northfield.  Run - Farmington/Lakeville/Rosemount.  Lived in Mankato and Michigan previously and grew up in Pennsylvania.
Other interesting facts - Have done marathons in the past (Grandma's, Fargo, Whistlestop).  Still have that elusive goal to finish sub 4...and that probably applies to a half-iron too.    Have been distracted from tri's this year using the excuse of family activities, volunteer activities at church, washing my hair, work...  Have very athletic kids and am glad they've adopted a lifestyle of activity (soccer and track).  Still on my bucket list: An Ironman after 50...when life slows down (kids graduated and off to school)...only 4 years away!    Next tri: Square Lake sprint. 

2011-07-01 12:38 PM

Name - Micah

Years racing - I was active in racing 1995-2001 then decided to take 9 years off.  Did 1 last year and getting back into it.

Favorite Races – Vineman half

Home – Eden Prairie.  Moved from Illinois about 4 years ago.

Other Facts: I was a swimmer in college so that is second nature for me.  I am still trying to learn to run....  build my own bike frames
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Introduce Yourself! Rss Feed  

of 11