of 11

2011-07-01 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3576342

User image

Hugo, MN
Subject: RE: Introduce Yourself!
bakerswife - 2011-07-01 7:45 AM
silentcs42 - 2011-06-28 8:39 PM

Costa Mesa is a beautiful city.  I love that whole area. 

I hail from Torrance, but moved to Riverside in my late teens. Went to Cal State San Bernardino and then to Texas A&M for grad school.

Cool - it's so funny how people end up in different places. As a southern belt kid, do you find the winters hard sometimes? Not having cut my teeth on snow drifts, it sort of gets to me sometimes.

Mary

Mary, I'm still a bit of a white knuckle driver at first snowfall.  Overly cautious as I tell myself!  I've also found that winter is the price of "seasons".  So Cal was hot in the summer and OK in the winter and Texas had 2 seasons - hot and hotter.  Still, the snow is a bit intimidating, but this last year I took up winter running and fell in love with it.  That helped to pass the time greatly.

2011-07-01 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3577044

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
motopsycha - 2011-07-01 12:38 PM

Name - Micah

Other Facts: I was a swimmer in college so that is second nature for meI am still trying to learn to run....  build my own bike frames

I already hate you  (says the crappy swimmer)
2011-07-02 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3570990

User image

Burnsville, MN

Name - Matt
Age - 35

Years doing triathlon - 3 (Did my first tri when I was 12.  Signed up for a second one in my mid twenties, but it was turned into a duathlon due to lightning.  Started training for triathlong again 3 years ago.)

Home - Burnsville

Other interesting Facts - Enjoy playing volleyabll and have been playing on both indoor and outdoor leagues over the past 4 years.  I have been more run focued and have done 5 marathons over the last 4 years.  Married with 2 kids, age 5 & 2.

2011-07-04 3:35 PM

User image

Bloomington, MN

Name: Amanda

I live in W. Bloomington with my husband and two little boys (1.5 and 4.5).  I've been doing tris for 3 years with a year off in between to have our 2nd baby.  I am pretty new to BT but have found it so helpful thus far!

I work for Salesforce.com but just recently left the medical device industry.  I'm working from home now which makes training much easier!  I usually ride in the western suburbs, run at Hyland, and swim at Crosstown and just recently swam at Bryant Lake which was great!

I'm doing my first Olympic in August, so we'll see how that goes!

2011-07-05 8:22 AM

New user
Name: Jeremy Years doing tris: 5th year Favorite tri: Lakes Area (Brainerd sprint). Grew up in the area and got my first group win there. Other facts: I live in Blaine. I try to find time for other outside hobbies like fishing, hunting, golf, and camping. And I dislike using the iPad for replying on bt because it deletes my "return" key stroke when I submit my text.

Edited by jrondorf 2011-07-05 8:27 AM
2011-07-06 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3573891

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
What shop do you use for your ink?

2011-07-06 9:56 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Name: Rocker (well, Megan, but no one calls me that, really).

Years doing tris: 9-10 (racing 9; training 10)

Favorite tri: TriAmerica Oakdale (defunct); favorite active race is probably Turtleman. Favorite race overall is probably Chequamegon 40 Fat Tire (<--- not a multisport) or Grandma's Half (<---also not a multisport) or Bix 7 (<--- see previous comments)

Home: Born in Iowa (Quad Cities); moved to Madison in 2000, then here to Minnesota just over nine years ago. Lived in SoMPLS for a while, then Shoreview. Now out in Oakdale/Lake Elmo (over by the park preserve--right by the Oakdale Du/Park Tool Du course). DH is a WBL native. I am a dedicated east sider and you will not find me riding over on the other side of town for nothing. :-)

Other interesting facts: I am not that interesting. I grew up in a running family, and have been running since I was walking. Picked up tris to put off knee replacement.

I am a writer.

Two dogs; three cats; six bikes.

Three tattoos, 14 piercings.

Graduated from University of Iowa and University of Wisconsin; work at the U of M. I am also, apparently, a for the Big 10. ;-) I am a Hawkeye, though. Not a badger or a gopher. Rodents, the both of them :p

2011-09-06 7:46 PM

User image

Minnesota
Name - Chuck-duh!

Years doing triathlon - 17 years, but have taken a 3 year hiatus from triathlon for injuries and a bad attitude! I'm back to regular training now and I hope to start racing again next season. I used to be pretty active on this board and have recently started creeping around again!

Favorite Tri Race - ooo boy, what ever one I am doing next! Gearwest Du, Waconia, Liberty and Lake Country(Baxter) are probably my favorites nearby....Brewhouse and the Chequamegan off road Tri are two others. The farther from civilization and loud rock music the better!

Home - Well, not St Paul any more! I moved to Maple Grove 2 years ago, but you never know, I might move back to the east side, so I'll just keep the screen name!

Other interesting Facts - I am a hopelessly slow runner, have raised two great kids, now in college, who kill me when we cycle or ski together and I pursue a living playing the French horn, which is almost like stealing, but not as profitable! I like to cycle with a bunch of crazy old-fart roadies who start at 5 am on weekday mornings!

Always looking for a ride in the northwest burbs!
C

Edited by chuck in st. paul 2011-09-06 7:46 PM
2011-09-07 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3675410

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Hi Chuck - glad to have you back.  I am heartened to see it's possible to get over a bad attitude (since I am currently suffering...
2011-09-07 5:50 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN

I guess I never saw this.

Name - Andy, or Gonz, or Gonzo.  Gonz and Gonzo were already taken for screen names when I signed up.
Years doing triathlon - First season
Favorite Tri Race - Not sure yet.  So far this year I've done the Chain of Lakes Tri (Alexandria), Buffalo Olympic, Lifetime Mpls Olympic, Minnewaska (Glenwood) Sprint, Young Life Olympic, and will be ending the season with the Austin TX Ironman 70.3.
Home - Alexandria.  Been here for 3.5 years, prior to that it was Mankato for about 3.5 years, Denver for 3 years, Vegas for one year, the Cities for 3 years, St. Peter for college.
Other interesting Facts - I guess you could say I'm either very ambitious or have a slightly addictive personality.  My plan for this first year doing tri's was just to get out and do alot of races, see what's around and have fun.  I don't think I ever imagined trying to ramp up to a 70.3 this soon, but here I am.  I really don't like running, partly because I suck at it.  Prior to 2 years ago I had never run further than 2 miles in a single attempt.  But I'm content being slow with the excuse that I'm still building my base and shouldn't be fast, right?

I'm a stay at home dad with 5 and 8 year old boys.  It's a great gig, but sometimes I certainly miss adult conversation that all you working people take for granted.  I played college hockey (D3) and hockey is still a big part of my life.  I coach both my kids' teams, as well as serve on our association's Hockey Committee as head goalie coach.  I work with all our goalies in town from 8 years old through high school, and coach at several summer camps.  My goal once both kids are in school is open up my own off-ice hockey training and conditioning center.

I like beer too.  I enjoy brewing my own and relaxing with a cold one and a fine, premium cigar.

2011-09-07 6:01 PM
in reply to: #3580130

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-09-08 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3676906

Veteran
Minnetonka
Climbinggonzo - 2011-09-07 5:50 PM

Name - Andy, or Gonz, or Gonzo.  Gonz and Gonzo were already taken for screen names when I signed up.
Favorite Tri Race - Not sure yet.  So far this year I've done the Chain of Lakes Tri (Alexandria), Buffalo Olympic, Lifetime Mpls Olympic, Minnewaska (Glenwood) Sprint, Young Life Olympic, and will be ending the season with the Austin TX Ironman 70.3.
Home - Alexandria.  Been here for 3.5 years, prior to that it was Mankato for about 3.5 years, Denver for 3 years, Vegas for one year, the Cities for 3 years, St. Peter for college.
Other interesting Facts - I guess you could say I'm either very ambitious or have a slightly addictive personality.  My plan for this first year doing tri's was just to get out and do alot of races, see what's around and have fun.  I don't think I ever imagined trying to ramp up to a 70.3 this soon, but here I am.  I really don't like running, partly because I suck at it.  Prior to 2 years ago I had never run further than 2 miles in a single attempt.  But I'm content being slow with the excuse that I'm still building my base and shouldn't be fast, right?

I'm a stay at home dad with 5 and 8 year old boys.  It's a great gig, but sometimes I certainly miss adult conversation that all you working people take for granted.  I played college hockey (D3) and hockey is still a big part of my life.  I coach both my kids' teams, as well as serve on our association's Hockey Committee as head goalie coach.  I work with all our goalies in town from 8 years old through high school, and coach at several summer camps.  My goal once both kids are in school is open up my own off-ice hockey training and conditioning center.

I like beer too.  I enjoy brewing my own and relaxing with a cold one and a fine, premium cigar.

My son has played up in Alex area (he's a goalie as well) but thankfully he's older so won't have to worry about running into your teams if you're teaching any Tim Thomas types up there!  Glad to have you on BT!

2011-09-08 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3676906

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
Climbinggonzo - 2011-09-07 5:50 PM

Are those Simmons or Smith pads?  I'm a Smith guy myself, used ones though.  I've never in my life owned NIB leg pads. 

How many goalies are on here?  At least three I think.

2011-09-09 8:55 AM

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Those are the Simmons in the retro tan leather.  But I currently play with the Simmons UL5 in yellow/black.  Throwback to my Gustavus days.  I hear Smiths are quite nice as well, another great pad from a smaller company that refuses to sell out to the NHL.
2011-09-09 3:55 PM

Elite
Minnetonka

Nice to meet you all!  Great thread Sarah!

Name - Jerry
Years doing triathlon - Less than one!  (I've done two sprints and have exercised more than I ever have in my life It feels good!)

Favorite Tri Race - Tri-Tonka Sprint (So far)
Home - Minnetonka - Grew up on the poor side of Lake Minnetonka in Minnetrista.  I lived in Souther Illinois for 6 years or so and moved back. I have an awesome wife and two kids adopted from Kazahkstan.  I've always been very active, and I've always been very heavy.  I topped the scales at 325 at one point, currently at 263.  (Even completed a century ride at 275..)

My favorite thing this summer is YOU GUYS.  As my BT name implies, I needed a change.  I remember my first ride with several of you out at Lake independence early this year (Thanks for waiting for me Emily).  Adrian and Anne have become very good friends!  

Lastly, I am totally addicted to this sport.  I LOVE IT!  and can't wait for next season....!

2011-09-09 4:06 PM

Name - Matt
Years doing triathlon -  1 year.  Lakes Country Tri in Baxter, MN was my first one in 2010.
Favorite Tri Race-  Buffalo Sprint. (Doing Oly next year)
Home -  Baxter, MN
Other interesting Facts - Hmm, I have a love/hate relationship with running. Last year I could barely swim 25 yds in a pool. Now the swim is my favorite event, swam 2.1 miles in Lake Superior in 1:00:19 (Bayfield, WI, Point to La Pointe swim).

2011-09-09 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3679116

Veteran
St. Paul, MN

Climbinggonzo - 2011-09-09 8:55 AM Those are the Simmons in the retro tan leather.  But I currently play with the Simmons UL5 in yellow/black.  Throwback to my Gustavus days.  I hear Smiths are quite nice as well, another great pad from a smaller company that refuses to sell out to the NHL.

We lived in St. Peter when I was a mite, skated at the Lund Center back then.  Sadly, Smith did sell out not too long ago, to Warrior, not even a hockey company.

2011-09-15 9:07 PM

Hey all! I posted in the general forum intro thread and just saw this one so I figured I'd post here as well.

Name - Steve 

Years doing triathlon - Complete noob.

Favorite Tri Race - I'll find out eventually.

Home - St. Louis Park, near the crossroads of France Ave. and Minnetonka Blvd.

Other interesting Facts - I have been a one trick pony my whole life (running) and only recently got involved in being a triathlete.  I'm hoping my strongest event can help propel me to my goals. I have pretty much been training all summer long with my friend who did Ironman Wisconsin which has been super helpful, especially for the swim.  After watching Ironman WI, I am super pumped and inspired for my first tri (olympic length) coming up on Sept. 25th in Cedar Falls, Ia.  You can find me out on the trails around the lakes and in Cedar Lake or Harriet most every day.  I also can't wait for winter as I found out last year I love to skate ski, and of course snow shoe run.

2011-09-16 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3688770

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Stevexor - 2011-09-15 8:07 PM

Hey all! I posted in the general forum intro thread and just saw this one so I figured I'd post here as well.

Name - Steve 

Years doing triathlon - Complete noob.

Favorite Tri Race - I'll find out eventually.

Home - St. Louis Park, near the crossroads of France Ave. and Minnetonka Blvd.

Other interesting Facts - I have been a one trick pony my whole life (running) and only recently got involved in being a triathlete.  I'm hoping my strongest event can help propel me to my goals. I have pretty much been training all summer long with my friend who did Ironman Wisconsin which has been super helpful, especially for the swim.  After watching Ironman WI, I am super pumped and inspired for my first tri (olympic length) coming up on Sept. 25th in Cedar Falls, Ia.  You can find me out on the trails around the lakes and in Cedar Lake or Harriet most every day.  I also can't wait for winter as I found out last year I love to skate ski, and of course snow shoe run.

IF this is the Steve I think it is...how's the new Felt treating you?
2011-09-16 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3689103

Haha, hey Brad! The Felt is treating me very well.  I have been putting down solid mileage and been doing a lot of intervals and bricks with it.  It's a very smooth bike and a ton of fun to ride.  I feel faster, but I can't back that up as I have been training strictly based on perceived effort.  I think I might race the tri blind (no watch, computer, etc.) and just let it flow.  After my tri we should go for a ride sometime.
2011-09-16 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3679764

Veteran
Minnetonka
SoberTriGuy - 2011-09-09 3:55 PM

Nice to meet you all!  Great thread Sarah!

Name - Jerry
Years doing triathlon - Less than one!  (I've done two sprints and have exercised more than I ever have in my life It feels good!)

Favorite Tri Race - Tri-Tonka Sprint (So far)
Home - Minnetonka - Grew up on the poor side of Lake Minnetonka in Minnetrista.  I lived in Souther Illinois for 6 years or so and moved back. I have an awesome wife and two kids adopted from Kazahkstan.  I've always been very active, and I've always been very heavy.  I topped the scales at 325 at one point, currently at 263.  (Even completed a century ride at 275..)

My favorite thing this summer is YOU GUYS.  As my BT name implies, I needed a change.  I remember my first ride with several of you out at Lake independence early this year (Thanks for waiting for me Emily).  Adrian and Anne have become very good friends!  

Lastly, I am totally addicted to this sport.  I LOVE IT!  and can't wait for next season....!

You forgot to mention you like glitter

2011-09-16 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3679774

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
mattradniecki - 2011-09-09 4:06 PM Name - Matt
Years doing triathlon -  1 year.  Lakes Country Tri in Baxter, MN was my first one in 2010.
Favorite Tri Race-  Buffalo Sprint. (Doing Oly next year)
Home -  Baxter, MN
Other interesting Facts - Hmm, I have a love/hate relationship with running. Last year I could barely swim 25 yds in a pool. Now the swim is my favorite event, swam 2.1 miles in Lake Superior in 1:00:19 (Bayfield, WI, Point to La Pointe swim).

Welcome!
2011-09-18 3:36 PM

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Sorry, didn't see this until now! Got to learn some interesting facts about some of you I've met. (Scuff IS a giant! Jared... really? You like tattoos? Ha! Denise, I can't picture you overweight! And I love how many of you love sausage!!)

Name - Steve

Years doing triathlon - 6

Favorite Tri Race - Liberty Olympic or IM WI. Didn't get to do Liberty this year as my wife was in labor (didn't give birth until the next morning, so I COULD HAVE raced...). Wasn't fast in WI, but it's sure a great course and there's GREAT crowd support!

Home - Farm boy from Southern MN, and I've been a St. Paulie for the last 12 years. I live under a mile from the Lake / Marshall Bridge, so many of my runs (including this morning's run) are along RR. Look for the guy passing you with a baby stroller - seriously, people say the FUNNIEST things when being passed by a stroller!

Other Interesting Facts -
- I love running (and am the best at it), but I just put up with swimming and running because I have to! They help with my constantly injured legs.
- Won first place once in a "Doughnut Run 5K" in Iowa. I ran a 5K and stopped to eat 15 Krispy Kremes along the way in 28 minutes.
- Photo professor and darkroom manager by day, and a blogger by night.
2011-09-19 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3691178

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

stevestenzel - 2011-09-18 3:36 PM   Denise, I can't picture you overweight!  

Used to carry an extra 50 lbs.

Denise

ps. Your blog pics of Henry are adorable - I'm way overdue to be a Grandmother and they fill a void - haha

2011-09-22 10:04 PM

New user

Chaska, MN

Name - Steve

Years Doing Triathlon - 2

Favorite Race - IM Florida

Home - Chaska

Other Interesting Facts - I'm orginally from Bemidji, played college hockey at West Point and was arrested by the St. Paul Police in 2006 for robbing the Bremer Bank in Downtown St. Paul (released 30 mins later after all my coworkers got to walk by me in cuffs while being interrogated - case of mistaken identity!! He was 6-2 and bald - I'm 5-7 with brown hair.)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Introduce Yourself! Rss Feed  

of 11