General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2013-07-11 1:37 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
I remember a little while back, some folks were looking for rooms at the Inn at the Park. Looks like there are now some rooms available again!

2013-07-11 1:53 PM
in reply to: Bevie

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Bevie

Took 2nd place overall at an international (tad shorter bike/run) tri on Sunday. There were "pros/elites" there as well and I beat 6 of them as well. If you count them in with us age groupers I was ninth overall.

Dropped about 12 minutes off my time from last year and I averaged 23.3 mph which was faster than I have ever averaged in a race. Swim went really well too. Fastest age grouper swim time and fifth with the pros I believe. It was a good weekend for me!

Ooooooo, SPEEDY!
2013-07-11 1:57 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by strikyr

Originally posted by 1stTimeTri

Nice work, peeps!

I planned on an 18-miler run yesterday, Sun. 7/7, but bonked and experienced either heat exhaustion and/or dehydration starting on my 2nd 6-mile loop course in the sultry 90 deg. starting around 10 am. I had to walk most of the time since I didn't think I would react quick enough to use my cell if I continued to jog. Everytime I tried jogging, I had problems breathing, my heart would race beyond the norm, my ring of vision would start to close in, and I had a pain/pressure build up behind one of my eyes. Wasn't good.

I'm evaluating my nutrition/hydration intake more carefully.

That sounds pretty scary to be honest. I would agree it probably was do to the heat and maybe dehydration. I hope you are feeling better.

Feeling much better after my seeing my workout result last night - 21 miles at 19 mph avg. followed by a 6.02 mile BRICK (everything with hills). Felt really good and didn't walk the hills. Temps were cooler.

It shows how much what influences oneself:
Time of day
Temperature
Nutritional intake prior to workout (and based off time of day, morning where I ate a good breakfast or not vs later afternoon where I had at least 2 meals)
Hydration intake
etc.
2013-07-11 1:58 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

After 3 down weeks with travel and then back to back races I was finally able to get back into my training and put up a decent 14.5 hour week last week. I had some good workouts especially on the bike. I'm hoping to do more this week, so far so good. Less than 9 weeks to go need to get as much work in as I can.

Nice job!
2013-07-11 1:58 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by ChrisM

You guys hearing anything about switching to a rolling swim start?  Seems to be the rumor over on ST....

And I believe them *rolls eyes*
2013-07-14 10:11 AM
in reply to: julio26pt2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Got my second 20 mile run in today. It was 85 degrees when I finished. Pretty hard run. Almost a 70 mile week. I gotta start getting some swims here soon.

2013-07-14 2:30 PM
in reply to: daviddclough

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I just wrapped up my week with a 1.2 mile swim and a 10.2 mile run today. Man it was so freakin hot and humid out I was saturated when I was finished running. I felt like I just got out of the lake after a swim! Looks like next week is going to be even worse with the heat and humidity. In any case another very solid week of training just short of 16.5 hours. Only 8 more weeks and I feel like it's not enough time to ready for this.
2013-07-14 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by daviddclough

Got my second 20 mile run in today. It was 85 degrees when I finished. Pretty hard run. Almost a 70 mile week. I gotta start getting some swims here soon.

That is just an insane amount of running for one week, 70 miles. That seriously puts to shame my run totals for the week lol.
2013-07-14 5:36 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Solid 2 loop effort today. Kept the watts around 190 which was my goal. Got warm near the end and end up cutting out an extra 10 mile add-on I originally was planning on doing. Brick run afterwards surprisingly felt good.
2013-07-15 12:36 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

I had a chance to attend WIBA this year and learned so much about IMWI.
While I was there I took a bunch of pictures around the Monona Terrace and marked with them the various transition paths.

So if you are a visual learner like myself and want to see what transition area looks like, here you go:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/onastick/sets/72157634639307631/
2013-07-15 1:18 PM
in reply to: maslowrun

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by maslowrun

While I was there I took a bunch of pictures around the Monona Terrace and marked with them the various transition paths.

So if you are a visual learner like myself and want to see what transition area looks like, here you go:

Thanks for posting this definitely helps for those of us who will not make it out there ahead of time.

2013-07-15 1:51 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by daviddclough

I did my first this past Sat. You were correct at that temp/humidity. Brutal. The next couple of days this week are getting worse, too!
2013-07-15 2:10 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Just a small change, if you don't mind.

Identifying picture #2 from the top:
The arrows from the "Top of Helix From Swim" to "Go inside Monona Terrace to change" to the white car are not correct.
They should be marked from the "Top of Helix From Swim" to behind the parked SUVs on the left side of the picture to the Monona Terrace T1 entrance door,
then exit out of the Monona Terrace T1 exit door (the concrete pillars will be on your right while running) through the parking exit gate to "Bikes racked up here".

Makes sense?
2013-07-15 3:54 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)

A couple of questions
-it looks like a long run, do you have an stimate of how long it is from the water to the changing room. from there up to the bikes?
-do they lay carpet or is it just running on concrete?
2013-07-15 9:36 PM
in reply to: MrSolis

User image

Originally posted by MrSolis

A couple of questions
-it looks like a long run, do you have an stimate of how long it is from the water to the changing room. from there up to the bikes?
-do they lay carpet or is it just running on concrete?

My info is based on what others told me while we were there, this is my first year doing IMWI.
- Dont know how long it will take, but its a pretty decent jog. The Monona Terrace is pretty wide and you have to run your bike to the other side before mounting too..
- No carpet that I know of, everyone who did it before that was there said it was running on cement. Though once you are inside its all plush carpet. And they dont put anything down so they must have a great cleaning crew.
2013-07-15 9:38 PM

User image

Just a small change, if you don't mind.

Identifying picture #2 from the top:
The arrows from the "Top of Helix From Swim" to "Go inside Monona Terrace to change" to the white car are not correct.
They should be marked from the "Top of Helix From Swim" to behind the parked SUVs on the left side of the picture to the Monona Terrace T1 entrance door,
then exit out of the Monona Terrace T1 exit door (the concrete pillars will be on your right while running) through the parking exit gate to "Bikes racked up here".

Makes sense?

Thats a good point, I realize now you would be on the other side of the SUVs. Thanks for noticing!

2013-07-16 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL
The run through the wet suit stripping area had a mat. The spiral does not. Inside Monona is carpeted and feels awesome. The run out to your bike is concrete. You might want to practice running in your cleats and barefoot on concrete (stay off your heals or they will get bruised). You are not allowed to have your shoes preclipped on your bike.

I got a 6.5 mile run in the 100+ heat index at dinner yesterday. I also got a 10 miler in this morning when it was 70 degrees and 80+ humidity. I am practicing trying to keep running no matter what.
2013-07-16 3:32 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
As you complete the swim:
1). As you are starting to get out of the water, there is a ramp in the water (wooden or covered with astro-turf, but not sure), which there are volunteers who help you up to the rubber timing mat.
2). Timing mat to Helix is blacktop, but before you run to the Helix, there are wetsuit strippers that can assist pulling your wetsuit off (if you are lucky and not in the middle of the mass which then you either wait or forget about it and hustle up the Helix).
3). Helix is concrete. Spectators are lined up on both sides. Very cool.
4). Top of Helix to T1 entry in the Monona Terrace is concrete.
5). Once inside the Monona Terrace, there is carpeting all the way through. Feels good.
From water exit to T1 is approximately 200 yards or better, with the incline of going up the Helix - 3 big spiral ascents.

6). From T1 exit door to bike transition is concrete.
Distance of running to bike totally depends on your race number and where you are racked based off your race number. Pros/elites have the furthest to run to their bikes since their bikes are racked closest to the opposite Helix for bike mount and exit.
People like me will have to wait and see what our numbers are - for both IM Moos my bike has been racked in the middle of the bike transition, so 1/2 of my running is to the bike, and then the other 1/2 of my running was with the bike to get to the Helix bike mount and exit.

I carry my shoes all the way down to the bike mount area/exit area, run off to the side to put the bike shoes on, clip in, quick check to see if I have a 1/10 of a second "opportunity" to get in the mass before the bike mount line, then CAREFULLY head down the Helix. DO NOT FLY DOWN THE HELIX! BAD!

IMPORTANT NOTE: MAKE SURE TO HAVE WATER BOTTLES TIGHT IN THEIR CAGES, GU GELS SECURED, ETC. ETC. BEFORE HEADING DOWN OR YOU'RE SCREWED AND CAN HOLD UP A MASS OF ANGRY TRIATHLETES!

When I worked at the bike mount 2 years ago, the first lady pro lost a bottle just after she mounted her bike and headed down the helix. I chased the water bottle, retrieved it, ran the water bottle down to her (she happened to slow down) and then gave it to her. She was SOOOOOO thankful!
I wouldn't do that for persons after the Pros since there is toooooooo much congestion/angst/etc.
2013-07-17 8:19 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

1). As you are starting to get out of the water, there is a ramp in the water (wooden or covered with astro-turf, but not sure), which there are volunteers who help you up to the rubber timing mat.
2). Timing mat to Helix is blacktop, but before you run to the Helix, there are wetsuit strippers that can assist pulling your wetsuit off (if you are lucky and not in the middle of the mass which then you either wait or forget about it and hustle up the Helix).
5). Once inside the Monona Terrace, there is carpeting all the way through. Feels good.
From water exit to T1 is approximately 200 yards or better, with the incline of going up the Helix - 3 big spiral ascents.

Distance of running to bike totally depends on your race number and where you are racked based off your race number. Pros/elites have the furthest to run to their bikes since their bikes are racked closest to the opposite Helix for bike mount and exit.
People like me will have to wait and see what our numbers are - for both IM Moos my bike has been racked in the middle of the bike transition, so 1/2 of my running is to the bike, and then the other 1/2 of my running was with the bike to get to the Helix bike mount and exit.

I carry my shoes all the way down to the bike mount area/exit area, run off to the side to put the bike shoes on, clip in, quick check to see if I have a 1/10 of a second "opportunity" to get in the mass before the bike mount line, then CAREFULLY head down the Helix. DO NOT FLY DOWN THE HELIX! BAD!

IMPORTANT NOTE: MAKE SURE TO HAVE WATER BOTTLES TIGHT IN THEIR CAGES, GU GELS SECURED, ETC. ETC. BEFORE HEADING DOWN OR YOU'RE SCREWED AND CAN HOLD UP A MASS OF ANGRY TRIATHLETES!

When I worked at the bike mount 2 years ago, the first lady pro lost a bottle just after she mounted her bike and headed down the helix. I chased the water bottle, retrieved it, ran the water bottle down to her (she happened to slow down) and then gave it to her. She was SOOOOOO thankful!
I wouldn't do that for persons after the Pros since there is toooooooo much congestion/angst/etc.

Thanks for posting this, this is great info. Sounds like the helix can be very congested on the way out. As far as the bottles go do we have to worry about any speed bumps or anything like that which could cause you to lose a bottle on the way out? I assuming the answer is yes but I figured I ask anyway. Also is there some sort of speed limit going down the helix? Not that I'm going to be in a rush or anything and it sounds like it will be too busy to fly down but can you get penalized for going too fast coming down?
2013-07-17 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE

Thanks for posting this, this is great info. Sounds like the helix can be very congested on the way out. As far as the bottles go do we have to worry about any speed bumps or anything like that which could cause you to lose a bottle on the way out? I assuming the answer is yes but I figured I ask anyway. Also is there some sort of speed limit going down the helix? Not that I'm going to be in a rush or anything and it sounds like it will be too busy to fly down but can you get penalized for going too fast coming down?

I was at WIBA too! They did mention that going down the helix is a "no passing zone". So you'll only be able to go as fast as the people in front of you. There is also another no passing zone, when you get on the bike path shortly after you start. I thought the roads were in really great shape, especially on the descents. Very happy about not having to dodge potholes when going really fast!
2013-07-19 1:00 PM
in reply to: Omahabritt

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Omahabritt

I was at WIBA too! They did mention that going down the helix is a "no passing zone". So you'll only be able to go as fast as the people in front of you. There is also another no passing zone, when you get on the bike path shortly after you start. I thought the roads were in really great shape, especially on the descents. Very happy about not having to dodge potholes when going really fast!

The 2013 athlete guide:
"The 2013 Athlete Guide will not be available until 4-6 weeks before the event. "

However, I will reference from the 2012 guide, below (rules should be reviewed by all participants):
http://www.ironman.com/~/media/ac39613c0f784b8d8c944bb225ed6dff/201...

Regarding a "no passing zone" rule on the course (specifically on the Helix for bike and bike path along John Nolen Drive) - there is no specific "no passing zone" noted, BUT, it will more than likely be mentioned at the mandatory meeting. Additionally, the 2012 guide identifies on Page 14, item 5. and item 6. would be related:

Athletes must obey all traffic laws while on the cycling course unless otherwise specifically directed by an official, race monitor or designee with actual authority. Failure to do so may result in disqualification.
No athlete shall endanger himself or another participant. Athletes who intentionally present a danger to any athlete or who, in the judgment of the Head Referee, appear to present a danger to any athlete may be disqualified.

Additionally, from Page 20, under BIKE, 4th paragraph:
"Participant is required to maintain control of his/her bicycle/handcycle and to operate at a reasonable speed so as not to threaten the safety and well-being of aid station volunteers, other competitors, race officials and spectators. Operation of a bicycle/handcycle in a dangerous or reckless manner will be grounds for disqualification."

2013-07-20 5:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Solid day today. Went to the Heartland Jam in Davenport, IA last night and drank more than I wanted too. Darius Rucker was awesome by the way. Woke up this morning feeling ehh....well lets just say I wasn't looking forward to my long run. Started the run and after mile 1 I felt fine. Although I did sweat off a lot of Summer Shandy and I think the drunks along the trail I run on were tempted by my smell to chase after me! I got in a good 20+ mile run. Had the wife meet me outside the house with a new cold water bottle because I had used up all my water about 2 miles before swinging back by there. It got hot towards the end but I endured. Just got done putting in 3650 yards at the pool so I am feeling done for the day!

Driving up to Verona in the morning to ride a couple loops and maybe a bit of the stick depending on how I am feeling after that second loop. Hopefully the weather holds out and it doesn't storm on me! Kinda get worried being over 2 hours from home and getting caught in a storm! Probably going to be getting to Verona at Fireman's park around 8ish is my plan and take off once I get situated. If you see a guy out there on a blue and white speed concept that is probably me. (Meads Bike shop jersey) Say hello!
2013-07-21 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
Did the loop twice yesterday. Good experience for a first timer. I didn't think the roads were in great shape but I'm spoiled in that regard. Learned a lot and would recommend anyone doing the race for the first time to ride the course if you can. My race plan was to bike very conservatively and yesterdays preview certainly reinforced that strategy for me! The hills on that second loop can really zap the legs!!

Hope everyone is having good health. Keep working, only 7 weeks to go!!
2013-07-21 3:55 PM
in reply to: TriBoilermaker

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Originally posted by TriBoilermaker

Did the loop twice yesterday. Good experience for a first timer. I didn't think the roads were in great shape but I'm spoiled in that regard. Learned a lot and would recommend anyone doing the race for the first time to ride the course if you can. My race plan was to bike very conservatively and yesterdays preview certainly reinforced that strategy for me! The hills on that second loop can really zap the legs!!

Hope everyone is having good health. Keep working, only 7 weeks to go!!

Just got back home a little bit ago and yes the hills on the second loop really do zap your' legs! I am not sure if it went better this time or not. I did average about .5 mph faster than last time but I also ran out of water with about 6-8 miles to go on the second loop. On my first loop I hit a bump/whatever at around 5 miles in and my aero bottle got launched and cracked right up the middle. So that wasn't a good start to my ride so I stopped at my truck b4 starting the second loop to refill bottles etc. Otherwise I wouldn't of had an issue of running out of hydration! For some reason my legs felt zapped just starting the second loop but I did run 20+ miles yesterday. All in all it was another great day of riding up there and I look forward to getting at least one more training day ride up there before race week.
2013-07-29 9:29 AM

Veteran
I am posting this here just in case someone has a friend who is interested in doing this race....

I have an Ironman Wisconsin package that I need to sell.

I will pay someone $400 to take this over. So the total would be as follows:

Slot = $950
4 nights hotel at Best Western Inn on the Park= $1120 inclusive of all taxes
Total = $2070

I will then pay $400 so your total is $1670.

Here is what you get with the package.... http://endurancesportstravel.com/...?content=13-IM-WISCO
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 24