General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Marathon Training Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-07-17 12:35 PM
in reply to: fivecents

User image

DC
Subject: RE: Chicago Marathon Training Thread
Un-necessary BUMP... just wanna be part of the this thread.

We moved from Chicago in 2008--3rd and last time I ran it--but I am finally running it again this year.

My training? Eh, been running at least 12 hilly milers two to three times a week but have been sick the last couple of months. Maybe not a bad thing... I have lost a lot of weight which may prove to be a blessing.

Was my tradition to hit Olive Garden the day before the race... the one out by Harlem & Ogden. They have a bottom-less bowl of pasta special around that time (yeah, really convenient). Any takers?

Can't wait to come home! (Am also doing the Chicago Tri.)

2013-07-17 3:18 PM
in reply to: ironbaby

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Originally posted by ironbaby Even if I "tapered", I don't know if I'd make any difference. I am too much of a newbie to running and it would still take everything out of me to finish this distance. Is race pace much different than training pace? IMO, for a first timer or someone without time goals the concept of race-pace really doesn't exist... most are just doing it for fun. I am not a fast guy on feet, wheels or in water so maybe this pace thing is beyond me.

The idea with long training runs is that they are supposed to be little slower than say, your average 3-mile run. This is important because if you train too fast while dramatically increasing your distance, you risk injury. The basic rule of thumb is that you should be able to carry on a conversation during your long runs. My weekend long runs are about a minute to a minute-and-a-half slower than my weekday runs.

Race pace is what you do on race day to make your goal, it's your 'hard' pace; you're not carrying on a conversation. It can differ depending on your goals and the distance. There's a good overview here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=475816&posts=9

Check out Hal's page for a description of Slow Runs http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program  and Races. 

--- 

Group: Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above info. 

Just curious for the group... if you're not planning on going hard (race pace), and you are running the same distance as called for in your training plan, why would you taper?  I saw this article with info on B and C races.

http://www.endurancecorner.com/Alan_Couzens/training_races  

2013-07-17 3:24 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Originally posted by Porfirio

... Was my tradition to hit Olive Garden the day before the race... the one out by Harlem & Ogden. They have a bottom-less bowl of pasta special around that time (yeah, really convenient). Any takers? Can't wait to come home! (Am also doing the Chicago Tri.)

Welcome back! And welcome to our little group.

LOL that you are already planning your pre-race meal. I am not that far ahead. Since I'm g-f I won't be doing Olive Garden, but that just means more pasta for you! Rock on.

....All those good Italian restaurants in LaGrange, Forest Park & Oak Park, though -- we have to get you to a locally-owned place after the race. 

2013-07-18 1:43 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks fivecents. That BT thread was helpful. But for someone who has never done a HM before, how does one calculate the race pace? If race pace is maximum sustainable effort, one could possibly burn out in first half then run on fumes for second half. It's kindda deceiving terminology.

OTOH, my ankle tendonitis started acting up a little today Using lot of cold packs and gonna add extra day of rest before HM. Hopefully, things are looking better for Sunday.

Thinking of running with my compression sleeves. Experiences/thoughts?
2013-07-18 8:41 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
So I downloaded an intermediate training plan as the advanced ones were just too aggressive and I'm unmotivated.

I'm already in week 7. My run tonight: 3 Miles. Perhaps I should switch up to the advanced.
2013-07-18 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Originally posted by ironbaby But for someone who has never done a HM before, how does one calculate the race pace?  

Maybe this? http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-race-time-predictor/1681.html  
I would put in your 10-mile time and see what it says for a half.

Honestly, if you've never done the distance, I say just listen to your body for pacing, especially for a mid-summer race. The goal is to finish, not kill it. I would stick with your regular training pace for this, since it's not your A-race, and just use that as your benchmark moving forward. Make sure you don't go out faster than you usually run, and focus on enjoying the environment. If you have gas in the tank at the end, that's great. But if you've only ever run 10, this distance in the heat will be a challenge. Stay safe and just do what feels good. 

2013-07-18 11:33 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by fivecents

Originally posted by ironbaby But for someone who has never done a HM before, how does one calculate the race pace?  

Maybe this? http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-race-time-predictor/1681.html  
I would put in your 10-mile time and see what it says for a half.

Honestly, if you've never done the distance, I say just listen to your body for pacing, especially for a mid-summer race. The goal is to finish, not kill it. I would stick with your regular training pace for this, since it's not your A-race, and just use that as your benchmark moving forward. Make sure you don't go out faster than you usually run, and focus on enjoying the environment. If you have gas in the tank at the end, that's great. But if you've only ever run 10, this distance in the heat will be a challenge. Stay safe and just do what feels good. 

The operative words there being `stay safe' ... don't overdo it. This heat/humidity is no joke. I've seen some of my friends who are amazing athletes fall out because they underestimate the heat. Stay hydrated, drink a lot of electrolytes and don't go too fast.
2013-07-18 8:15 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Regular
This tendonitis does not bode well for the race. It hurts a little with every step I take. It will be looooong and extra painful 20K.

Are there contraptions that can be used? Ace bandage would be too thick to wear in a long run.
2013-07-19 12:26 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
You still have a couple days. Just rest and relax it, keep icing it. You'll be fine.
2013-07-19 7:43 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
I just got diagnosed with tendonitis in my left foot- right on the big toe where it meets the foot. The doctor prescribed Celebrex- it's an NSAID that supposedly doesn't have the nasty side effects that many other NSAID's do. See if you can get a prescription. So far it's doing wonders for me (of course ice and rest are helping too).
2013-07-20 10:52 PM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

User image

Regular
HM tomorrow. Hoping for a slow 2.5hr finish given the weather prediction of 70 degrees/75% humidity.

Ankle is feeling good but couldn't run much this week. Hopefully, that doesn't have any adverse affects. Got my gear lined and bib pinned for the morning. Chicago Endurance Sports had volunteers running as pace group leaders so I plan to stick with them.

Bedtime now... alarm to go off in 6.5hrs.

2013-07-21 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Originally posted by ironbaby HM tomorrow. Hoping for a slow 2.5hr finish given the weather prediction of 70 degrees/75% humidity. Ankle is feeling good but couldn't run much this week. Hopefully, that doesn't have any adverse affects. Got my gear lined and bib pinned for the morning. Chicago Endurance Sports had volunteers running as pace group leaders so I plan to stick with them. Bedtime now... alarm to go off in 6.5hrs.

How was it???

2013-07-21 3:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Well I learned an invaluable lesson this weekend: You cannot stay awake until 4 a.m. one night and still feel OK to train for a marathon. 

Well, maybe some people can. I am not one of them!

Pearl Jam at Wrigley was great, but that show was an endurance even in itself. Not to mention the 2-hour trip home on a slow-motion CTA. Wow. As my head was hitting the pillow that night, I kept thinking, "I am usually getting up to run in an hour." So glad I didn't sign up for the RnR half, as I was originally planning. I wouldn't have been in the right state of mind for it.

Back to the grind this week. I hope my internal clock can get back to the early weekday schedule! Surprised

Edited by fivecents 2013-07-21 3:29 PM
2013-07-21 10:57 PM

User image

Regular

Well I learned an invaluable lesson this weekend: You cannot stay awake until 4 a.m. one night and still feel OK to train for a marathon. 

Well, maybe some people can. I am not one of them!

Pearl Jam at Wrigley was great, but that show was an endurance even in itself. Not to mention the 2-hour trip home on a slow-motion CTA. Wow. As my head was hitting the pillow that night, I kept thinking, "I am usually getting up to run in an hour." So glad I didn't sign up for the RnR half, as I was originally planning. I wouldn't have been in the right state of mind for it.

Back to the grind this week. I hope my internal clock can get back to the early weekday schedule! Surprised

I heard the show didn't start till midnight due to weather issues. Must have been a blast though!

Had similar experience several weeks ago. I tried to do a long run in morning after going to bed at 3am. It didn't work out very well.
2013-07-21 11:04 PM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by ironbaby HM tomorrow. Hoping for a slow 2.5hr finish given the weather prediction of 70 degrees/75% humidity. Ankle is feeling good but couldn't run much this week. Hopefully, that doesn't have any adverse affects. Got my gear lined and bib pinned for the morning. Chicago Endurance Sports had volunteers running as pace group leaders so I plan to stick with them. Bedtime now... alarm to go off in 6.5hrs.

How was it???

RnR was brutal!! Few things didn't go right...

-lack of sleep due to anxiety. Woke up 5-6 times during the course of 6hr sleep. Probably slept half of time.
-late dinner from nite before. Ordered Giordano's thin crust pizza. Good amount of carbs but didn't factor in all cheese would be hard to digest.
-temperature was lot warmer than anticipated so I was drinking lot of water

I was at start line by 6:15am and first corral took off at 6:30am. By the time, my wave took off it was 7am and sun was high and bright. It was another indication of upcoming trouble. Even then, start was great! I rocked the first 3miles, pretty good on 6mile mark (45 seconds less than training pace), gradual slow down until mile 8 and then trouble showed it's ugly head. Legs became rubbery and heat was unbearable. I was thirsty non-stop and had to take LOT of small sips in second half. Ended up fast walking last few miles very embarrassing. Nothing wrong with walking but it crushed by ego in dust. It took everything out of to finish the race. It ended up being little over 13.5miles from start to finish.

I had 3 salt tabs for electrolyte balance and half packet of Gu. I was too full from dinner to need any more fuel during the race. Talked to few people after the race and some of them sucked down as many as 4-6 gu's during the race. (too much, imo).

It was a well organized race but my performance was subpar. I didn't have any time goals but I was lot slower than anticipated.
2013-07-22 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

But you finished --- yay! GREAT JOB! And in this heat and sun? Awesome work.

... And you learned a valuable lesson: no deep dish the night before the marathon. LOL. 

2013-07-22 11:56 AM

User image

Regular

But you finished --- yay! GREAT JOB! And in this heat and sun? Awesome work.

... And you learned a valuable lesson: no deep dish the night before the marathon. LOL. 

Hey it was their thin crust!! And, all in the name of cargo-loading (I started 48hrs before though).

More serious question - Should I change my training plan for more long distances? I am clearly lacking stamina for long runs and at current level, I will be found passed out at mile 17 in marathon.
2013-07-22 2:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Originally posted by ironbaby

More serious question - Should I change my training plan for more long distances? I am clearly lacking stamina for long runs and at current level, I will be found passed out at mile 17 in marathon.

What is your current plan? Tell us more about it.

2013-07-22 6:07 PM

User image

Regular
HH plan, same as yours (in first post) with a major aversion to cross training (for no good reason). I hate the hot/humid weather. Although started swimming a bit in recent few weeks and that has helped.

Also, my consistency in few initial weeks was less than optimal. I was traveling internationally, had a ankle injury... small stuff that caused my ramping up to suffer.

Edited by ironbaby 2013-07-22 6:08 PM
2013-07-24 7:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
4am alarms are getting easier to deal with, and I don' t quite know how I feel about that. 14 miles LSD this morning. Gorgeous running weather.
2013-07-24 8:54 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon 4am alarms are getting easier to deal with, and I don' t quite know how I feel about that. 14 miles LSD this morning. Gorgeous running weather.

14 miles on a wednesday morning? You're hard core. I thought 6 this morning made me tough.

I feel the same way about my 5:00 alarm. 

2013-07-24 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Originally posted by ironbaby HH plan, same as yours (in first post) with a major aversion to cross training (for no good reason). I hate the hot/humid weather. Although started swimming a bit in recent few weeks and that has helped. Also, my consistency in few initial weeks was less than optimal. I was traveling internationally, had a ankle injury... small stuff that caused my ramping up to suffer.

I don't know if I would switch plans at this point (switch to what, anyway?). Maybe just focus on following the plan you're on and hitting all the workouts consistently. 

2013-07-25 2:21 AM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by ironbaby HH plan, same as yours (in first post) with a major aversion to cross training (for no good reason). I hate the hot/humid weather. Although started swimming a bit in recent few weeks and that has helped. Also, my consistency in few initial weeks was less than optimal. I was traveling internationally, had a ankle injury... small stuff that caused my ramping up to suffer.

I don't know if I would switch plans at this point (switch to what, anyway?). Maybe just focus on following the plan you're on and hitting all the workouts consistently. 

Yeah, I am not quite sure what I could switch to as well. It's just that I got my kicked on HM and that's a little nerve-wrecking. .

Do you guys train at higher intensity/ effort on short and medium run days? Generally I keep 12min/mi on all runs short or long... but decided to switch it up a little bit. I still kept with my usual run/walk but harder effort during the run and avg pace at end was 11:15min/mi. Weather certainly helped and this was little more exertion than a "conversational pace".

Just wondering, if harder workout helps on short runs?

Edited by ironbaby 2013-07-25 2:22 AM
2013-07-25 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

It's just that I got my kicked on HM and that's a little nerve-wrecking. .

Do you guys train at higher intensity/ effort on short and medium run days?

Maybe just take that as a message to be more consistent? Hoping a few others can weigh in on your original question.

I do my shorter runs at a faster pace than my long/medium runs. Generally under 10 mins for 3 to 5 miles (somewhere in the 9's) and then 10:30s for my LSD runs. Obviously if the weather or illness is a factor, I adjust. But mostly, I like to get the shorter runs done as fast as I can, just to be done for the day Wink

2013-07-25 11:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Do you guys train at higher intensity/ effort on short and medium run days? Generally I keep 12min/mi on all runs short or long... but decided to switch it up a little bit. I still kept with my usual run/walk but harder effort during the run and avg pace at end was 11:15min/mi. Weather certainly helped and this was little more exertion than a "conversational pace".

Just wondering, if harder workout helps on short runs?

I'm a slow guy, and just started running with any level of seriousness in November 2012. I generally follow my plan, which is basically four types of workouts:

(1) Long, Slow Distance - 10:30 to 12:00/mile, depending on weather, with a vague effort to hit a negative split, staying in zone 2.
(2) Intervals - Z4 threshold runs; the time spent at threshold started at about 3 minutes, and now they're 10 minutes a pop.
(3) Fartleks - my favorite runs, where I can just go out and play. Generally average about 10:00 flat
(4) Easy / Recovery runs - building endurance while trying to keep training stress at a minimum. Usually around 10:00 to 11:00 pace.

I'm a subscriber to heart rate training and the "mostly easy, sometimes hard" schools of thought. Intervals and speed work have their place, but so do easy runs, LSD, and the rest.

Shorter, hard workouts have their place - acclimating to suffering and helping build aerobic efficiency. I'm following a Garmin intermediate marathon plan, which might be a bit ambitious for me, so there is probably more speedwork in it, since it assumes some level of aerobic base. I'm also pretty decent at listening to my body, so if it's too hot, or if I'm not feeling it that day, an interval session might turn into an easy session instead.

Generally, run more, run often, mostly easy, sometimes hard.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Marathon Training Thread Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Rock ‘n’ Roll Chicago Half Marathon : Official Thread

Started by mcgilmartin
Views: 1411 Posts: 1

2012-06-19 5:53 PM mcgilmartin

Chicago Marathon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by lisac957
Views: 15014 Posts: 162

2012-10-09 3:42 PM chirunner134

Chicago Marathon 10/10/10: Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Decatur217
Views: 9334 Posts: 51

2010-10-13 6:43 PM daviddclough

Chicago Half Marathon : Official Thread

Started by jimf629
Views: 1732 Posts: 1

2010-08-12 3:02 PM jimf629

Chicago Marathon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by gavisk
Views: 11444 Posts: 80

2009-10-16 9:46 PM protoplasm72
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : February 23, 2010
comments : 1
Can I do extra running miles for my two half marathons while starting a half Ironman training program?
date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : November 14, 2004
author : malvey
How a father and son went from zero to marathon and had the experience of a lifetime!
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : October 24, 2004
author : BrianPBN
I can't say it enough, the feeling of treading water for that final minute, helicopters over head, Mike Riley's Iron-voice over the P.A. - just awesome. I cannot believe I'm here!