General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Etiquette? Is there really such a thing? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-08-01 4:05 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Swim Etiquette? Is there really such a thing?
Originally posted by kcarroll

Originally posted by dmiller5 I think people also need to remember that first and foremost, a triathlon is a race, not swim fun time. If you want swim fun time you should stay out of the way. I'm not saying you should be intentionally swimming over people, but my goal is to get from point A to point B in the shortest possible time. I've worked my behind off to shave seconds off of that time. I'm not going to slow down and swim around you because you are unable to properly seed yourself and/or are unaware of your surroundings. It isn't meant to hurt you, but its going to happen from time to time.

A couple thoughts. Not everyone that's slow thinks the swim is "fun time." I know you didn't say that but thought I'd share a view from the BOP. I'm slow but I've worked also worked my behind off to get there. And yes, I swim freestyle. I may be in front of you for reasons other than failing to seed myself properly or being unaware of my surroundings ie my wave leaves before yours and you catch me. This is the norm for me when I do longer (have done up to 2.4 OWS), or 2 loop, swims. Never thought it's intentional and am well aware it will happen from time to time. Doesn't mean it isn't unsettling. 

I used to be BOBOP swimming. What I did was start in the back to the outside so I was out of the way. Later in the swim when other waves would catch me I was in clear water anyways.

probably should have used sarc font for swim fun time as it was meant to be tongue in cheek.

2013-08-01 4:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by mrbbrad

Originally posted by erik.norgaard

First, nobody swim over other people out of disrespect or lack of care

Some do

nobody does it on purpose.

Again, some do

it's never personal or intentional.

Sometimes it is.

Don't be paranoid. Unless somebody grabs you by the ankle and pull you can rest assured that any contact is accidental, unintentional and nothing personal. There's nobody out there just waiting for a chance to cut you into little pieces and feed you to the sharks.

And, in case somebody does pull you by the ankle, most likely you've just given them a blow to the face, not that this should justify it.

In short it's unavoidable

It's absolutely avoidable

By unavoidable, please read: People will avoid when avoidable, that's implied by that any such incidents are unintentional, accidental, and well, they couldn't avoid it. The idea that contact is always avoidable falls on wrong assumptions: The swim is not in calm water with no currents or waves, straight line, perfect visibility and just the two of you. There are plenty of cases where the one being swum over caused the incident or where the incident was caused by a third person.

Edited by erik.norgaard 2013-08-01 4:48 PM
2013-08-01 5:35 PM
in reply to: skyblueclipse

I'm not a true FOP swimmer, but I have accidentally swum over a few people in the scrum before.

It's not because the faster swimmer just wants to run you over. In fact, if anything, they do NOT want to run you over - it slows them down and puts them at risk of getting kicked in the head. In my case, I was trying hard to maintain contact with some feet ahead of me at race pace (hard for me) and had very limited visibility with bodies immediately front, back, and to my sides, splashing and bumping everywhere. Next thing I know, I'm right over someone's back from the wave ahead of me - it's just so unexpected when you're in a group of similarly paced swimmers and then run right into an isolated swimmer who's swimming so much slower.

I always thought there would be ample time to see/dodge them, but when there were bodies all over the place, I honestly couldn't tell which one was the laggard until I was right on them. Has happened to me a few times. I always yell "SORRY!!" but I doubt they can even hear it.

I've never had a problem swimming over people if people are spaced apart (like the latter half of the swim.) It's always in the bunch where it's too hard to identify slower swimmers while doing 'snapshot' sighting.
2013-08-01 5:57 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Master
Originally posted by yazmaster

I'm not a true FOP swimmer, but I have accidentally swum over a few people in the scrum before.

It's not because the faster swimmer just wants to run you over. In fact, if anything, they do NOT want to run you over - it slows them down and puts them at risk of getting kicked in the head. In my case, I was trying hard to maintain contact with some feet ahead of me at race pace (hard for me) and had very limited visibility with bodies immediately front, back, and to my sides, splashing and bumping everywhere. Next thing I know, I'm right over someone's back from the wave ahead of me - it's just so unexpected when you're in a group of similarly paced swimmers and then run right into an isolated swimmer who's swimming so much slower.

I always thought there would be ample time to see/dodge them, but when there were bodies all over the place, I honestly couldn't tell which one was the laggard until I was right on them. Has happened to me a few times. I always yell "SORRY!!" but I doubt they can even hear it.

I've never had a problem swimming over people if people are spaced apart (like the latter half of the swim.) It's always in the bunch where it's too hard to identify slower swimmers while doing 'snapshot' sighting.

Thank you for being the first one to "come clean" and admit what is an unavoidable reality. I don't think anyone intentionally swims over people but it just happens. I have seen it happen a lot but but no one ever admits it was them.
2013-08-01 6:19 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
There is etiquette, but unfortunately, like most forms of etiquette, not everyone follows it. Seed yourself appropriately - slower swimmers and/ or those who plan to utilize breast stroke at any time during the swim should position themselves at the rear and/or the outside. Faster swimmers who plan to swim all front crawl should position themselves near the front. Sighting should be used not just to navigate the shortest distance on the course, but also to be aware of those you are overtaking, and avoid them if at all possible. I won't go as far as saying there is zero excuse for ever swimming over someone, but I will say that I can't recall ever being in a situation where it was unavoidable. However, there are times in very crowded waters when it's necessary to squeeze between other swimmers to pass, bumping both on the way through. As a little faster than average swimmer, one of my greatest annoyances during the swim is people who overestimate their abilities, seed themselves in the front, then either swim too slow, clogging up the works, or start out fast for 50-100 yds then slow down drastically right after I've latched onto their bubbles to draft, and I swim up on them.
2013-08-01 7:48 PM
in reply to: pschriver

Didn't say as fast as MOST....as fast as SOME.....all of my training was crawl and that was my intention...I really didn't kick...it was mostly arm work and my legs barely went to the side...I passed quite a few that were crawling...with using mostly upper body breast-stroke....the water was impossible to see under...so I had to keep my head above water to know where others were around me

2013-08-01 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4818847

User image

New triathlete here and weak swimmer so maybe this is a dumb question- but isn't swimming over someone dangerous? If someone swims over me and pushes me down when I'm trying to breathe... Sounds very scary!
2013-08-01 8:04 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by skyblueclipse

Didn't say as fast as MOST....as fast as SOME.....all of my training was crawl and that was my intention...I really didn't kick...it was mostly arm work and my legs barely went to the side...I passed quite a few that were crawling...with using mostly upper body breast-stroke....the water was impossible to see under...so I had to keep my head above water to know where others were around me

Honestly you need to practice more open water swimming. It is very rare that you will even see your hands on most swims. Like others have said, just reach out and feel the turbulence of swimmers in front of you and grab a peek while sighting. In order to swim at a reasonable pace your face will be in the water most of the time. It won't hurt you and with time you will prefer to do it that way. Expecting to swim with your head out of the water is simply a sign of insecurity and is not efficient.
2013-08-01 8:07 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Master
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

New triathlete here and weak swimmer so maybe this is a dumb question- but isn't swimming over someone dangerous? If someone swims over me and pushes me down when I'm trying to breathe... Sounds very scary!

It is very scary and not dangerous. OWS are dangerous but if everyone swims in an orderly fashion with respect for the people around them it goes fine. When panic sets in, it can be bad.
2013-08-01 8:41 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I have been sitting here for hours, trying to bite my tongue.  I have to make a couple of observations or it will drive me crazy all night.

I started swimming competitively when I was 11.  That was 44 years ago.  I retired from competitive swimming in 1982 and began coaching.  During my actual swimming career, I had the privilege of competing in 6 national championships, qualified for the U.S. Olympic team, was a member of three different world record setting relays (4 x 100 freestyle, 4 x 200 freestyle, and 400 medley relay doing breaststroke), and held one individual world record (100 M Breaststroke).  I can still do a 100 Y breaststroke in 1:05 - which I suspect is far faster than many of you so called freestyle experts.

I have been reading a whole bunch of posts ridiculing people doing breaststroke.  Should people doing breaststroke be in the middle of the pack?  NO!  Absolutely not.  Do those people doing breaststroke have the right to do breaststroke?  YES!  Without question.  Freestyle is precisely that, FREESTYLE.  Any stroke is acceptable.  Absent a rule stating otherwise, the argument about people doing breaststroke is a moot issue - so let's move on to something more constructive.

By the way, if I take in a mouthful of water, guess what my 'go-to' safety stroke is?  I will go to breaststroke, and I will likely pass you while I am doing it.

As to running over people.  It is NEVER acceptable.  There simply is NO excuse for it happening.  NONE!  I can stop my forward momentum on a dime, I can change my direction on a nickle.  I am not going to risk manslaughter charges because I ran someone over and caused a major incident.  Apparently there is WAY too much testosterone in the OWS for running people over to be a problem.  You trained for a long time for this event?  So did I.  So did the person you are about to run over.  There is NO excuse.  Go around them.

Ok, I am done, I feel better now.

2013-08-01 8:46 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Well said!

Don't wait so long next time!!!!!!

2013-08-01 9:29 PM

User image

Originally posted by k9car363

I have been sitting here for hours, trying to bite my tongue.  I have to make a couple of observations or it will drive me crazy all night.

I started swimming competitively when I was 11.  That was 44 years ago.  I retired from competitive swimming in 1982 and began coaching.  During my actual swimming career, I had the privilege of competing in 6 national championships, qualified for the U.S. Olympic team, was a member of three different world record setting relays (4 x 100 freestyle, 4 x 200 freestyle, and 400 medley relay doing breaststroke), and held one individual world record (100 M Breaststroke).  I can still do a 100 Y breaststroke in 1:05 - which I suspect is far faster than many of you so called freestyle experts.

I have been reading a whole bunch of posts ridiculing people doing breaststroke.  Should people doing breaststroke be in the middle of the pack?  NO!  Absolutely not.  Do those people doing breaststroke have the right to do breaststroke?  YES!  Without question.  Freestyle is precisely that, FREESTYLE.  Any stroke is acceptable.  Absent a rule stating otherwise, the argument about people doing breaststroke is a moot issue - so let's move on to something more constructive.

By the way, if I take in a mouthful of water, guess what my 'go-to' safety stroke is?  I will go to breaststroke, and I will likely pass you while I am doing it.

As to running over people.  It is NEVER acceptable.  There simply is NO excuse for it happening.  NONE!  I can stop my forward momentum on a dime, I can change my direction on a nickle.  I am not going to risk manslaughter charges because I ran someone over and caused a major incident.  Apparently there is WAY too much testosterone in the OWS for running people over to be a problem.  You trained for a long time for this event?  So did I.  So did the person you are about to run over.  There is NO excuse.  Go around them.

Very well said.

However, I don't think anyone in this thread has ever advocated trying to swim over people as a technique used to purposely get past slower swimmers...but rather agreeing that it happens.  I'll say it again...there is no point in debating till the end of the world who is right or wrong or who's fault it is because it won't solve anything.

The OP started this thread from the perspective of someone who got run over...not from the perspective of the person running someone else over.  If the thread was started in the context of the latter, then sure, we could have a great discussion on what the proper technique is for getting past slower swimmers is, and if purposely swimming over someone is acceptable in any situation, only certain situations, or all the time.  But that's not the discussion I think we're having.

So my advice to the OP is rather than figuring out what the proper swim etiquette is...just deal with it, accept it, and keep swimming. 

As another poster mentioned above, getting swum over is not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.  It's all about how you react to it that can make the situation dangerous.  If you freak out, panic, and get really upset everytime you get swum over...then at the very least you're going to needlessly jack up your HR and tire yourself out...or worse.  The harsh reality of it is that you will likely never know who it actually was that swam over you, and there is no way for you to punish that person or seek restitution.  So one last time...just deal with it and keep swimming.

Or you all can continue debating who is right and wrong for another 4 pages. 

2013-08-01 9:43 PM

User image

Master

I have a lot of respect for your accomplishments but please remember that these crowded swims have a lot of people of different abilities. If you switch to a breast stroke as you round a crowded buoy you will be more likely to seriously injure someone with your whip kick than if you gently crawl and unfortunately the victum won't feel it coming. No where has anyone advocated intentionally swimming over people. You have the ability to avoid doing it but it does happen at times.
2013-08-01 10:53 PM

It's not that bad, actually.

I know, because when I did my first 3 tris, I was so slow that I routinely got swam over by multiple waves of people. I'm a guy, and yes, I got absolutely clobbered by the fast lead girls who were together. (As well as the two waves after that.)

I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens, just relax, and it'll be over in seconds - these fast swimmers are NOT sticking around, not even for a single second. They'll most likely throw and accidental arm over your legs/hips , then move on. Pushing other swimmers down into the water is perhaps the most inefficient way to keep up your pace, and any good swimmer will avoid it at all costs. (Yet it still happens, as explained why above.)
2013-08-02 12:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Open water swimming is a contact sport. Many new swimmers can't swim straight and swim in a zig zag and cut in front of faster swimmers who are lapping them. Situational awareness is huge in OW swimming. If you are slow and don't want contact start at the back and keep wide at the turns (ESP in multi lap races). If you take turns tight in wave start/multi lap situations that is where contact WILL happen. Swim meet warm ups in the pool can be rough for newbs as well.
2013-08-02 12:17 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by yazmaster

It's not that bad, actually.

I know, because when I did my first 3 tris, I was so slow that I routinely got swam over by multiple waves of people. I'm a guy, and yes, I got absolutely clobbered by the fast lead girls who were together. (As well as the two waves after that.)

I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens, just relax, and it'll be over in seconds - these fast swimmers are NOT sticking around, not even for a single second. They'll most likely throw and accidental arm over your legs/hips , then move on. Pushing other swimmers down into the water is perhaps the most inefficient way to keep up your pace, and any good swimmer will avoid it at all costs. (Yet it still happens, as explained why above.)

^^^ this... I don't want to risk having my goggles get knocked off etc.

2013-08-02 3:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

It sounds and probably is scary first time it happens, but don't panic.

It's not dangerous, water is forgiving, you may get pushed down a bit but before you know it whoever it was is gone. Most likely somebody will cross over your legs, rarely your torso, it will hardly affect your swim if you just keep going. You may loose a breath, but that is no different from when you catch a wave and swallow some water when you breathe.

What you should not do is stop, there may just be another one coming right behind. Just keep swimming, find your rhythm, sight an extra time to ensure you're on the course and move on.
2013-08-02 6:21 AM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Expert
Originally posted by cgregg

p.s. - I've also had someone (this last Sunday) swim perpendicular across my back - and it was MY fault.  I forgot to keep sighting and swam straight through at a turn buoy.... people going to make the turn were doing the normal and correct thing, I just wasn't aware of my surroundings.  So, when there is contact, think about the situation... you can be the cause without being the initiator.

This is the only time I have actually swam over someone. If you aren't sighting properly and swimming perpindicular (or close to it) to the pack, expect to be swam over. The swimmers swimming in the correct direction have no way of seeing you coming until you are right in front of them.

Usually also happens in the at the start of a wave, I have come up on waves ahead of me, and by the time you reach the wave in front, it is dispersed enough to safely swim around the swimmers in front of you (again, unless people aren't sighting correctly and swimming at weird angles.

Moral of the story - practice sighting and swimming in a straight line.

I also agree with those saying that swimming breast stroke is unsafe and irresponsible in a large swim start. Start at the back to the outside and stay as wide as you can. Better yet, if you can't do the entire swim freestyle, maybe ask the race director to be place in the last wave so that you don't have to worry about the waves behind you.
2013-08-02 7:14 AM

User image

I am also new and it happened to me in my first race last weekend. The swimmer in front of me was zig-zagging, so I swung wide to try to get around her. The person behind me swam right over my back. It happened so quickly that it was no worse than being bumped in to. Not that being bumped in to didn't mess with me but it happened in less than a breath.
2013-08-02 8:10 AM
in reply to: pschriver

Wasn't expecting by any means to have to swim with my head out of water...I have OWS in plenty of tea-colored water...I live in the pine barrens. I just feel uncomfortable swimming through and around other people. I don't need to see where I'm going under water...I just need to know how to not other people off and how to exercise proper swim etiquette. There was turbulence and bodies EVERYWHERE....and my goggles were slightly fogged...there was no where for me to go...at one point I had to actually tread water because there were so many people kicking me and that I was kicking just by crawling...I guess I just don't get how your supposed to swim in such a crowded environment without someone off...my personality does not lend itself well to making other people angry at me...
2013-08-02 8:30 AM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

First, nobody swim over other people out of disrespect or lack of care

Some do

nobody does it on purpose.

Again, some do

it's never personal or intentional.

Sometimes it is.

Don't be paranoid. Unless somebody grabs you by the ankle and pull you can rest assured that any contact is accidental, unintentional and nothing personal. There's nobody out there just waiting for a chance to cut you into little pieces and feed you to the sharks. And, in case somebody does pull you by the ankle, most likely you've just given them a blow to the face, not that this should justify it.

In short it's unavoidable

It's absolutely avoidable

By unavoidable, please read: People will avoid when avoidable, that's implied by that any such incidents are unintentional, accidental, and well, they couldn't avoid it. The idea that contact is always avoidable falls on wrong assumptions: The swim is not in calm water with no currents or waves, straight line, perfect visibility and just the two of you. There are plenty of cases where the one being swum over caused the incident or where the incident was caused by a third person.

I'm not paranoi...shhhh!!!! Did you hear something!?!?!

2013-08-02 8:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North

http://www.swimvortex.com/recall-as-10-flop-in-at-start-of-barca-me...

No was charged with assault.
2013-08-02 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

cool story bro. i'd like a video of your ironman swim in which you beat everyone breast stroking and get through without touching anyone.
2013-08-02 10:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
This thread haS UTTERLY TERRIFIED ME ABOUT SWIMMING!!! :-)

Well mildly concerned me.

I was convinced to sign up for my first triathlon by comments like this endorsed by TriSportCanada:

"It's also a good idea to have a technique or two to fall back on if you get tired or spooked in a race. You may start with front crawl, and then move to breast stoke if you need a rest, or even to floating on your back if you have to. A backup plan like that in the water is comforting."

Thats from the begginer guide of the Subaru Tri Series in Ontario.

I can crawl 1000 meters in a municipal pool but my strong confident stroke for open water is breast stroke. So sure as eggs is eggs I know I will be going to it when I suck down a lungful of pond water or if I get nervous.

However there is 0% chance you will see me line up agressivly for the start. Also 0% chance you will catch me feeling bad if I have to step down from front crawl to recover a little.

I think 90% of these issues will originate from:

Foolish newbies thinking they can mix it near the front of the pack (see below).
Good swimmers in 2nd or 3rd waves catching the advances waves.
Scumbags who smile at the idea of not just swimming over but also dunking and pushing off from a slower or badly positioned swimmer.

It's a similar thing to the pain of starting a 10k. I am going to run 10k between 50 and 55 minutes. I know this. So I line up in the middle of the starting group. NO WAY am I lining up with the guys on the front line in thier compression stockings who are looking to break 35 minutes. But EVERYTIME I know I will have to overtake a load of foolish plodders in the first 500 meteres who have no clue how to place themselves. Just a month ago I started and was held up by two girls running a hour plus pace HOLDING HANDs?!?!?!?!? who had gone off with the first two or three rows of runners. But did I swear at them or elbow my way through? No.

Every aspect of race conduct is a choice. Its a choice to put yourself in danger, and a choice to exploit others.

Edited by badmo77a 2013-08-02 10:53 AM
2013-08-02 10:57 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Veteran
Central France
The 2 OWS that I've done have been extremely murky. I couldn't see my hands, let alone the person next to or in front of me.The first time, I took the contact personally feeling like people were grabbing my legs and arms, hitting and running into me on purpose. In my 2nd OWS I realized that these swimmers, just like me, couldn't see a d*** thing in the water and that they weren't running into me on purpose - for all they could see, I could have been the kayak or the buoy or something floating in the water. And sometimes there are just situations - like the person swimming perpendicular to the pack - where you might swim "over" someone because by the time you see them in the murkiness, you are already on them.

To me triathletes need to learn to handle situations where someone pushes your head down or hits them or swims over them or grabs them. They also need to learn to sight regularly not only to stay on track but also so that they know what is going on around them.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Etiquette? Is there really such a thing? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Things you really want to hear (Tri is good for you)

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
Views: 1054 Posts: 5

2012-05-24 6:48 AM jbrookscga78

Swim Start Etiquette..such a thing? Pages: 1 2

Started by FELTGood
Views: 2900 Posts: 35

2011-04-12 8:42 AM brucemorgan

Really really hungry after swimming? Pages: 1 2

Started by jessica71980
Views: 5538 Posts: 34

2010-01-23 9:46 PM SWIM2LIVE

Bike helmet = really good thing

Started by SevenZulu
Views: 1442 Posts: 16

2009-03-23 2:17 PM ried0428

This training thing really works!

Started by akabak
Views: 596 Posts: 2

2005-06-27 11:29 AM CLLinIA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.

date : November 9, 2006
author : McFuzz
How to join lap swimmers without making a splash. A primer on the social graces applied to swimming laps.