General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tupper Lake, New York
United States
Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 40m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Return to Tupper Lake Tinman.
Ken sherped me up kinda he decided to do the race at the last minute. We off Friday morning at 10, after we turned remembered everything. You know helmets, sleeping bag, USATri cards. We took Ken's camper up. Little bit of rain here or there. It was the theme for the weekend. After a few stops here and there we got to Tupper Lake at 4:00. You drive the course on the way in so it was good to show Ken the course. Few more hills then I remember. We made our way to the Wild Museum and packet pick up fine, sweet I got my favorite color cap PINK. Only got lost once going to the camp site. Just for you Mike.
Headed back to the pasta dinner. We parked on the side street and this little old lady comes up to Ken, says she is a cop. I'm afraid we are going to have to find another parking space. She is wondering what is going on? We tell her we are here for the pasta dinner for the race. "Oh I'm going to do the race too. What race? Aren't the gray cars nice looking? Where that dinner? I raced track when I was in high school". She walks us up to the Knights of Columbus and goes on her way.
She either was a few fries short of a Happy Meal or just got a kick out of playing with the shiny triathletes. Dinner felt like the chow line at a mess hall but was good.
Head back set up camper and have a few brews for the evening. Ken get the camper dead level right off the back. Slept pretty well. Ken doesn't snore and he didn't complain of mine if I did. I do remember waking at 2:42 thinking great I have lots more time to sleep.
Up at 6 oclock. Sweet light and not raining. We have a little oatmeal. Load the back packs and head out about 2 miles to transition. Body mark and set up our spots after we trade positions we were sent too.
It gives us a few sprinkles then rain then sprinkles.
Oh forgot had dinner with naked guy from the freezeroo series. He had clothes on. He just races freezeroo without a shirt one, unless its under 5 degrees.
Event warmup:

Did a few sprints out and back to get a little blood going.
Swim
  • 33m 2s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Walk Ken to the outside edge then line up two back from front. Fair spot but would rather be in front.
Horn blows and off we go. First couple hundred yards is good everybody is swimming straight and tight. About 300yds out some jack ass decides he want to go left on top of everyone. Really. He goes over the top of me. I stop and give his leg a shove to right and turn him 90 degrees. I usually don't get involved but this guy had no idea. Draft a little here and there. Got another pink cap guy pacing with me well. Sighting is going well. The apex of the course and round the buoy. We are picking up green caps here and there. Feeling someone tap my feet once in a while but not annoying.
Turn for home. I'm concentrating on keeping close to the buoys. Too close because at one point I got so close to a small buoy and caught my arm on the rope. Of course The guy behind me piles up along with 3 other guys. They are looking at me like "How did you fuck this up you were doing so well" Get moving again. Still haven't kicked at all. Hard to get a line on the finish until I'm within 3-4 hundred yards. Coast into finish up and across the mat well.
What would you do differently?:

Spend more training with pushing a strong glide instead of turn over.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

I didn't run but walked quickly. Suit off helmet on grab my shoes and walk the mount line. get off to the side brush my feet off and step in. Turn and find a CF, (cluster %(#$). Pick my way through, stand up and get a little speed going. Clears out OK.

Start to realize once my suit off and helmet on I can go. Really no need to dry off with the race day. sometimes I stand there thinking what did I forget? DA get moving.
Bike
  • 3h 16m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Holy rollers.
Pretty serious race attitude out there. Very few words spoken could be the rain that starts about 2 miles out. Its a medium/hard rain about till the turn around. Oh well a little extra hydration for free. Start out with a expresso gel and water. Don't have to worry about hands being sticky for very long. I get to pass one person right off that bat, sweet. Then we hit the hill and its one by me again and again. Half way out it started to pour pretty good. I'm one for speed down hills since up hill is so slow. But people were going nuts in the weather. There was a lot of black crack sealer and paint around. Hit that the wrong way and down you go. Didn't see any accidents but a few flats.
Ken caught me just before the 15 mile mark. He told he would never do another race north of Rt. 90 again since it always rain for his races.
Made it well into the turnaround and decided with this weather it was time to take a leak. Man that felt good. Even with the rain I was stilltasing a good amount of salt in my sweat. Not good usually a light salt sweater. I was taking a gel or a couple Clif blocks every half hours. Drinking every 15. Seemed to work OK. Played leap frog on the hills with people that were pretty quiet. Last hill then downhill into town. Hit 142 mph. I think the garmin is off a little. Sccot through a quiet tiown and dismount no sweat. Starting to lighten up some and turn hot. Oh great just in time for the run. Happy with the ride. Funny after talking to Ken there spots in that course that are like spook hill. Looks like its going downhill but it was like riding uphill into a headwind.

Actually listen to my self when I say its time to get serious abou the weight.
Transition 2
  • 07m 38s
Comments:

OK, OK, yes it is a record. I took my time to get my heart rate down. Find a dry spot to sit and get sneakers on, take a leak, always good thing to have to do. Maybe I should have put some sunscreen on but didn't bring it.

HTFU.
Run
  • 2h 42m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran/walked and pushed through it. Starting to get hot out. Took a mile or two to get my legs worked out. Took advantage of the downhills and walked the up hills. It s double loop with a one spot of out and back. The best place cause they had watermelon. The funny thing was the turn around was a card table in the middle of the road. Just had to laugh.
I a couple slices of watermelon. about a quarter mile down the road I let out an epic burp. There was a poor girl just coming up to pass me. I was like "Oh shit, I'm sorry". She was like "nice one".
As we came back to join the route back I met up with a lass that was confused on where to go. She was headed one way through the woods than came out for direction and told you go up there and turn right. She then took off and went by the large arrows like 5 of them pointing the way to go and started on the loop again. I whistled and yelled but she was on her way. I'm sorry she was to far ahead and I wasn't going to add a couple miles to get her. Did run into her later and she realized her mistake before it added to much distance onto her run.
Head home feeling OK and finish for the second time . Ken number was 338 and mine was 33. They missed took him for me and announced my name again. Met Ken, got our free beer and headed back to the camp on the bikes. It was a good race.

Lose weight.

Post race
Warm down:

Beer and cookies.

Started to break camp down and headed to take a shower. It was nice day when I entered and pouring like no tomorrow. Pretty much they way it was all day.
Skipped dinner and headed home.

Event comments:

Great little local race.

Last updated: 2012-11-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:02 | 2112 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Inverted triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:14
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:16:26 | 56 miles | 17.12 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Good hill to begin with then rollers.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 77
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:42:10 | 13.1 miles | 12m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-19 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course

2013-08-19 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4833372

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course

I was wondering if you were ever going to write this! 

Nice race and it was a good time despite the rain! 

And no, I am not doing a race north of 90 again!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Course

Started by elrasc06
Views: 1949 Posts: 1

2013-07-02 9:07 AM elrasc06

Started by kenj
Views: 2123 Posts: 6

2013-07-04 3:20 PM bdenehy

Started by cornick
Views: 1084 Posts: 1

2012-09-07 11:34 AM cornick

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

Started by mtnchick13
Views: 2705 Posts: 16

2007-07-06 9:54 AM Rmaldon240

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

Started by dexter
Views: 3534 Posts: 16

2007-07-14 9:16 PM Sharona1973
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.