BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 62

2013-12-20 1:16 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?)
Originally posted by jmkizer

I kind of hesitate to delve into this since you have probably made up your mind already.

First of all, 105 is fine.  I would not hesitate to go with either a 105 or Ultegra.  Remember that Ultregra from a few years ago is today's 105.

I have put tens of thousands of miles on the three Trek roadies that I've owned and they've all been great bikes.  I have a Felt tri bike and that has also been great.  Test ride both and see how you feel.  As Yanti said, it's all about time in the saddle.  You can buy a bike that is fast on paper but you need to do the work on the engine to see that pay off.

don't hesitate - I'm still open to opinions!

The only reason I'm putting the Trek over the Felt right now is because I ride a 5.2 Madone (and they are the same flavor of carbon - their 500 series) so there is a level of comfort there. I cannot find anywhere local to try either bike because either they don't stock them or they do but they certainly don't in a size small.

Oh and I've been through a 4 hour fit process with my shop so they will both "fit" but of course I realize they will ride differently. Still looking at all options though

2013-12-20 1:30 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

It seems really weird to archive us before starting the new threads.  Pfft!

I do know there are a bunch of them staged up and waiting.

2013-12-20 1:48 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by jmkizer I kind of hesitate to delve into this since you have probably made up your mind already.

First of all, 105 is fine.  I would not hesitate to go with either a 105 or Ultegra.  Remember that Ultregra from a few years ago is today's 105.

I have put tens of thousands of miles on the three Trek roadies that I've owned and they've all been great bikes.  I have a Felt tri bike and that has also been great.  Test ride both and see how you feel.  As Yanti said, it's all about time in the saddle.  You can buy a bike that is fast on paper but you need to do the work on the engine to see that pay off.

don't hesitate - I'm still open to opinions! The only reason I'm putting the Trek over the Felt right now is because I ride a 5.2 Madone (and they are the same flavor of carbon - their 500 series) so there is a level of comfort there. I cannot find anywhere local to try either bike because either they don't stock them or they do but they certainly don't in a size small. Oh and I've been through a 4 hour fit process with my shop so they will both "fit" but of course I realize they will ride differently. Still looking at all options though

That kinda sucks because they are going to ride differently and you will notice things like where the braze ons are for water bottles and so on.

A tri bike will ride very differently than a road bike (without aero bars).  When using the aero bars, you will feel the vibration in your upper body.  When I ride on the hoods, a lot of the shock is taken up by flexing your elbows.  If at all possible, get out on the two bikes before you select one.

2013-12-20 2:05 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

That kinda sucks because they are going to ride differently and you will notice things like where the braze ons are for water bottles and so on.

A tri bike will ride very differently than a road bike (without aero bars).  When using the aero bars, you will feel the vibration in your upper body.  When I ride on the hoods, a lot of the shock is taken up by flexing your elbows.  If at all possible, get out on the two bikes before you select one.

Ok, You talked me into trying harder There is one shop I know I can go to that may have 1 or both in stock.
2013-12-20 2:11 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ok, You talked me into trying harder There is one shop I know I can go to that may have 1 or both in stock.

DOOO EEET!  Seriously, you may find that on one of the bikes you feel at home and the other, not so much.

2013-12-20 2:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

DOOO EEET!  Seriously, you may find that on one of the bikes you feel at home and the other, not so much.

This advice is predicated, of course, on the fact that the shop has two bikes in your size.  If the bikes aren't in your size, then the analysis doesn't really count.

2013-12-20 7:11 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
On our way to Kansas. It might be a straight through drive depending on the storm we seem to be "racing". Makenna turned 3 today, and we stuck her in a carseat to celebrate Happy weekend!
2013-12-21 8:57 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by 4agoodlife On our way to Kansas. It might be a straight through drive depending on the storm we seem to be "racing". Makenna turned 3 today, and we stuck her in a carseat to celebrate Happy weekend!

You guys really know how to celebrate!  I hope you at least stuck a party hat on her   Safe travels.

2013-12-23 7:51 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I know we have been archived but nearly 2 whole days without a post in the Manatees thread that would have to be a record.
2013-12-23 8:45 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
East Texas
I always bookmark the thread and never realize it's been archived. Was wondering where everyone went
2013-12-23 9:16 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by TriAya

Just in a lot of pain now--not so much personally, but on behalf of those close to me. Crushing. From my log:

Tears and hugs, BIG hugs.

2013-12-23 9:39 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by StaceyK

I know we have been archived but nearly 2 whole days without a post in the Manatees thread that would have to be a record.

too busy holiday shopping and eating lots of holiday cookies!
2013-12-23 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by StaceyK I know we have been archived but nearly 2 whole days without a post in the Manatees thread that would have to be a record.

I was wondering.  I didn't see the Manatees in the mentor list, and so I was wondering what was going on.  So we're still active here?

2013-12-23 1:03 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by StaceyK I know we have been archived but nearly 2 whole days without a post in the Manatees thread that would have to be a record.

I was wondering.  I didn't see the Manatees in the mentor list, and so I was wondering what was going on.  So we're still active here?

I think the group decided to go "public" in the beginning of January into the mentor list.
2013-12-23 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Learnt a new word recently.   A Papuan word, it is.    Hmmm  

2013-12-23 6:30 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by MadMathemagician

Learnt a new word recently.   A Papuan word, it is.    Hmmm  

OK Michael I need you to explain that one to me. I don't understand.

2013-12-23 9:28 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by JJ- I always bookmark the thread and never realize it's been archived. Was wondering where everyone went

Ha, yeah, me too.

2013-12-24 5:58 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Merry Christmas Eve to all.

2013-12-24 8:38 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by cdban66

Merry Christmas Eve to all.

I hope everyone has a great holiday!!!

I'm checking out this afternoon to head to VT to ski tomorrow. And to answer your question, no, there is no snow because it all melted Should be fun anyway.

2013-12-24 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Skiing without snow?!? Bring the mountain bike

2013-12-24 9:44 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Any other suckers devoted employees at work today?  Feeling a bit like a chump hanging out in the ghost town here, but it's also kind of nice.

2013-12-24 9:57 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by melbo55

Any other suckers devoted employees at work today?  Feeling a bit like a chump hanging out in the ghost town here, but it's also kind of nice.

Yes, I have staff out, so I cover. I am the world's best boss, if I do say so myself.

Or, I'm a sucker, take your pick. Actually, transactions continue in the banking world, no matter what. Combine that with the Target hack and I have a bit of a workload today. So, today will be just like every other day. Tomorrow will be better!!!!

2013-12-24 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Haaalloooo from the land of 10º. Whew! This cali/az girl is a bit cold chapped. No running since last week. Thinking some treadmill later today...better than ice running. Eeek!Last bit of wrapping (and even shopping) getting done this morning so we can go hang out at a Christmas Eve party then check out the lights on The Plaza. Kids are about to jump out of their skins counting down til bedtime. SO MUCH FUN! Happy Eve to all :D
2013-12-24 10:15 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Haaalloooo from the land of 10º. Whew! This cali/az girl is a bit cold chapped. No running since last week. Thinking some treadmill later today...better than ice running. Eeek!Last bit of wrapping (and even shopping) getting done this morning so we can go hang out at a Christmas Eve party then check out the lights on The Plaza. Kids are about to jump out of their skins counting down til bedtime. SO MUCH FUN! Happy Eve to all :D

BRRRR!!!  Sounds like you have a fun (although cold) day in store.  Good luck trying to keep the kiddos in their skins, LOL!!  I can only imagine their excitement!

2013-12-24 11:54 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Yay, awoke this afternoon to find 3 manatee Christmas cards have been delivered. Thank you Hands, Janyne and Yanti.
Chances of you getting my card in time for Christmas? Zero. Why? Because this is how the convo' with my DW went after I opened the cards:
-hooooo, Christmas cards
- who are they off babes?
-from the people I talk to on line, remember, I gave you those cards to be weighed in and posted off?
- oh (insert expletive of your choice), they're still in the glove box in the car, I totally forgot about them.
- oh, that's rather annoying ( this last part is not exactly what was said, but I'm sure you can hazard a guess at what may have been said, suffice to say, I may be on Santas naughty list).

Merry Christmas All.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  

of 62

RELATED POSTS

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : May 29, 2012
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.