BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-09-16 10:46 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

I put this in my training log but I thought I'd let all of you know that I'll be having shoulder surgery pretty much as soon as the insurance approval comes through,

I saw the doctor this morning and here are the results.  Posterior shoulder dislocation resulting in (Apparently it takes special talent to dislocate your shoulder out the back (or stopping your 20mph bike with you shoulder), and a posterior dislocation basically always results in a tear.)

• Torn labrum and ligaments
  • Reverse Bankart
  • Reverse Hill-Sachs
  • Loose cartilage
  • Outpatient surgery to reattach labrum. In sling for 6 weeks post op. Out of work one week. On trainer 1-2 weeks post op (outdoor riding in 8-12 weeks), running 6-8 weeks post op. No swimming for 3-4 months.

We talked about how long until I can s/b/r and then I asked about work. Is that wrong?

Priorities.

I know, right!

I prefaced my out of work question with "I have a lot of banked sick time."

2014-09-16 10:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

I put this in my training log but I thought I'd let all of you know that I'll be having shoulder surgery pretty much as soon as the insurance approval comes through,

I saw the doctor this morning and here are the results.  Posterior shoulder dislocation resulting in (Apparently it takes special talent to dislocate your shoulder out the back (or stopping your 20mph bike with you shoulder), and a posterior dislocation basically always results in a tear.)

• Reverse Bankart
  • Reverse Hill-Sachs
  • Loose cartilage
  • Outpatient surgery to reattach labrum. In sling for 6 weeks post op. Out of work one week. On trainer 1-2 weeks post op (outdoor riding in 8-12 weeks), running 6-8 weeks post op. No swimming for 3-4 months.

We talked about how long until I can s/b/r and then I asked about work. Is that wrong?

I know that overall, this is a huge bummer but the projection to be on the trainer 1-2 weeks post op is AWESOME news.I worked at a PT clinic in college and saw first hand how long shoulder stuff can take. It was hands down the longest and most tedious. 

And no, that's not wrong, you have your priorities straight is all  

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-09-16 10:47 AM
2014-09-16 10:50 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Asalzwed

• Reverse Bankart
  • Reverse Hill-Sachs
  • Loose cartilage

I know that overall, this is a huge bummer but the projection to be on the trainer 1-2 weeks post op is AWESOME news.I worked at a PT clinic in college and saw first hand how long shoulder stuff can take. It was hands down the longest and most tedious. 

I am thankful that I can use the trainer until the surgery and that I can use it pretty soon post op. He also said we can add spin class fairly soon after which will help with the entertainment factor.

The trip to Vegas was approved and, if all goes well, I may be able to run/walk the event.

2014-09-16 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

We've scratched the possible tri off our list for this weekend. Thought about it up until last night, but check out this article.   Anyone had OWS in water like this?  There was a swim clinic yesterday, and people were posting about how bad the water is. Plus another storm coming up from Mexico in the next couple of days which means more crap into the lake.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2014/09/13/residents-complain-sludge-tempe-town-lake-historic-storm/15572399/

"The water is good to go for the event". Ewwwwwww!  Hope it's better by IMAZ! I heard someone joke once about bodies in there!

ICK!!!  I really don't remember what the water was like for IMAZ in 2012 other than the fact that it was C-O-L-D!!!  

What kind of Canuck are you?!?!?! Eh?

A bad SMART one, which is why I'm now living in the heat of Texas!!!  

Fixed that for ya.

Speaking of your new home, how is the apartment coming along? And how are ya'll adjusting to the heat? And how are the motorcycles doing? 

I like your version much better!  The apartment is less of a disaster, but it would be nice if we could EVER get the furniture we ordered from Macy's in June.  This has been nothing short of a total clusterf**k.  However, we have food, a bed, and a roof over our heads, so everything else is gravy.   

FYI - I LOVE the heat!  I'm already getting teased a little because it got a tad cooler this past weekend and I needed a jacket...  

2014-09-16 11:02 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Seattle

We've scratched the possible tri off our list for this weekend. Thought about it up until last night, but check out this article.   Anyone had OWS in water like this?  There was a swim clinic yesterday, and people were posting about how bad the water is. Plus another storm coming up from Mexico in the next couple of days which means more crap into the lake.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2014/09/13/residents-complain-sludge-tempe-town-lake-historic-storm/15572399/

"The water is good to go for the event". Ewwwwwww!  Hope it's better by IMAZ! I heard someone joke once about bodies in there!

ICK!!!  I really don't remember what the water was like for IMAZ in 2012 other than the fact that it was C-O-L-D!!!  

Fixed that for ya.

Speaking of your new home, how is the apartment coming along? And how are ya'll adjusting to the heat? And how are the motorcycles doing? 

I like your version much better!  The apartment is less of a disaster, but it would be nice if we could EVER get the furniture we ordered from Macy's in June.  This has been nothing short of a total clusterf**k.  However, we have food, a bed, and a roof over our heads, so everything else is gravy.   

FYI - I LOVE the heat!  I'm already getting teased a little because it got a tad cooler this past weekend and I needed a jacket...  

Have you been to Easy Tiger? I mean, there are like a million places that I love in Austin. But that's a good one for coffee and pastry.

2014-09-16 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

• Reverse Bankart
  • Reverse Hill-Sachs
  • Loose cartilage

Priorities.

Sounds right to me. In fact, I didn't even discuss work when I discussed surgery with my Dr., so you are - once again - way more together than I!!

2014-09-16 11:08 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

• Reverse Bankart
  • Reverse Hill-Sachs
  • Loose cartilage

I am thankful that I can use the trainer until the surgery and that I can use it pretty soon post op. He also said we can add spin class fairly soon after which will help with the entertainment factor.

The trip to Vegas was approved and, if all goes well, I may be able to run/walk the event.

Yay!! That is good news, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

2014-09-16 11:09 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando

Fixed that for ya.

That's awesome!!

2014-09-16 11:15 AM

User image

Denver, CO

• Reverse Bankart
  • Reverse Hill-Sachs
  • Loose cartilage

Wow, when you do something, you do it in spades!  That's really sucky.  At least you should be good to go in time to train for next season.  Sending tons of healing thoughts your way and hoping you're not in too much pain.  Keep us posted on when surgery is.  (((Hugs)))

2014-09-16 11:25 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
2014-09-16 11:34 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO

Anyone else see the possibilities?

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/jetpack-aims-help-soldiers-hit-4-minute-miles

Jason could totally rock IMAZ with that thing!

2014-09-16 11:50 AM

User image

Master

• Reverse Bankart
  • Reverse Hill-Sachs
  • Loose cartilage

I'm sorry that surgery looms, but you're taking it in typical Janyne stride...and correctly prioritizing for optimal silver lining 

2014-09-16 11:50 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Curious if anyone else read the most recent RW article on Deana Kastor and the "aging" runner/  Lots of good food for thought.  I love her tenacity and the fact that she has set smart goals for herself while still running as a masters runner.  Elites like Kara Goucher are still afraid when she toes the start line with them.  For someone 5-6 years younger to still be afraid of what kind of performance you can turn in says a lot to me about drive and training smart.  Think her highest volume weeks are now at 85 miles (down from 130) and she no longer has the strength training time....but she is still FIERCE.

2014-09-16 12:02 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by laffinrock

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/jetpack-aims-help-soldiers-hit-4-minute-miles

Like the other exo suits more for land travel. Jet packs are for flying.

2014-09-16 12:21 PM

User image

Melon Presser

• Reverse Bankart
  • Reverse Hill-Sachs
  • Loose cartilage

Priorities.

EXACTLY.

I didn't even ask my dentist about training ... what he doesn't know won't hurt him :P

NyNy ... so sorry . That's a helluva list. Wishing you smooth procedures and recovery. Ugh!

2014-09-16 12:21 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by laffinrock

Like the other exo suits more for land travel. Jet packs are for flying.

Yep. That's exactly how I'd like to feel when I run

2014-09-16 12:29 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

• Reverse Bankart
  • Reverse Hill-Sachs
  • Loose cartilage

Priorities.

EXACTLY.

I didn't even ask my dentist about training ... what he doesn't know won't hurt him :P

NyNy ... so sorry . That's a helluva list. Wishing you smooth procedures and recovery. Ugh!

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself but... let's talk Elvis running costumes!

2014-09-16 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

• Reverse Bankart
  • Reverse Hill-Sachs
  • Loose cartilage

Priorities.

EXACTLY.

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself but... let's talk Elvis running costumes!

hahaha!  I think that is a must!!

2014-09-16 12:53 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Curious if anyone else read the most recent RW article on Deana Kastor and the "aging" runner/  Lots of good food for thought.  I love her tenacity and the fact that she has set smart goals for herself while still running as a masters runner.  Elites like Kara Goucher are still afraid when she toes the start line with them.  For someone 5-6 years younger to still be afraid of what kind of performance you can turn in says a lot to me about drive and training smart.  Think her highest volume weeks are now at 85 miles (down from 130) and she no longer has the strength training time....but she is still FIERCE.

Somebody was telling me about this - I think she said that Deana wants to set the Masters record at the Philadelphia HM - somewhere around 1:05 (??)  She is awesome. 

2014-09-16 1:15 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Janyne - Wow. So glad you are taking it in stride and have a back to fitness plan.

Hands - Have you checked junk mail for your BT emails? I was looking in my junk folder today (for an email from my brother, ha!) and found an oddly intermittent number of BT emails in there.

So I went to the cycling studio this morning. The owner wasn't there, his assistant was, who I've also worked with quite a bit. I mentioned to the assistant (Gabe) that even if I didn't stay with Coach I plan to utilize P2M this winter to improve my bike fitness/strength. A few minutes ago I got an email from the owner:

I heard that you had a good and hard workout this morning.  Gabe said that you struggled a little on the high end stuff but were rock solid on the midrange efforts.  That's indicative of some triathlete's.  Most tend to spend their time training in mid zone 3 and low zone 4, so they get really good at that, but can't sustain any high end work

This is something that I would suggest we talk about and also educate you on.  Most triathlete's in the newer stages of racing, tend to ignore this level of effort in the bike training, they do it in their run training some, but not the bike.  It's a very important piece of training during the race season.  

We can talk more about this.  It's probably worth the time for you and I to sit and talk about your goals for next year and what you have left this year.  We can build an off season plan to help make sure you are ready for next year.

2014-09-16 1:16 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

Somebody was telling me about this - I think she said that Deana wants to set the Masters record at the Philadelphia HM - somewhere around 1:05 (??)  She is awesome. 

Haven't read it yet. Still working my way through this months RW. I got stuck on the smoothie recipes last night

2014-09-16 1:18 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Janyne - Wow. So glad you are taking it in stride and have a back to fitness plan.

No exactly

2014-09-16 1:20 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Seattle

I haven't read it but Kastor's a badass. 

I loved how she came short of the masters US women's record for the half marathon (due to extremely windy day) then just came back in a few weeks, ran it again and got it. NBD.

2014-09-16 1:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by amd723

Her PR is 67 something, the masters record (American) that she got was 1:11:38. 

I'm hoping Amy Hastings continues to follow in her footsteps. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-09-16 1:24 PM
2014-09-16 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

No exactly

Awwww! {{HUGS}}

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42677 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37639 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72969 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50691 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25866 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.