BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-10-02 8:30 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by StaceyKSo Salty and Ben and anyone else if you had some (aka me) with very little running experience (longest is 12k which I ran/walked) would you think that finishing a marathon in late August 2015 is a possibility. If so what would your advise be with regards to a plan? I am toying with this idea as a possibly, maybe, might do it. I have my first Oly scheduled for the first weekend in February 2015 then plan on doing a couple more tris after that. It all depends though if we have puppies early in the year.

Definitely possible. How you go about that all depends on how much you're willing to consistently train. And for now, the important thing is just to run consistently. That would be 5-7 days/week. I strongly recommend looking into the BarryP 3-2-1 program. You can start off with as little/easy as you need, and you'll figure out within a few weeks if you have the willingness/time to consistently run.

Another option is Galloway. However, I cannot stress enough that THIS IS NOT A RUNNING PROGRAM in a true sense. You WILL NOT improve your running. You WILL NOT improve your pace. You MAY NOT even improve your fitness. It's a low-mileage plan, much of which is walking, that's designed to get you to simply finish a marathon well below your capabilities so that you don't get injured. And it absolutely has to be followed to a T (do NOT increase your pace, do NOT fach with your run/walk ratio, do NOT change the mileages, etc.) or you WILL get injured. The upside is that it's one of the few (possibly only) ways to finish a marathon starting from essentially scratch, within a year, without a massive time commitment.

Yeah, it's plenty of time to be able to get through one. The question is more what you want to get out of it? What's driving the desire to do it?

i turn 40 next October and I've done FACH with my life, is that a good enough reason?

2014-10-02 9:06 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by StaceyKSo Salty and Ben and anyone else if you had some (aka me) with very little running experience (longest is 12k which I ran/walked) would you think that finishing a marathon in late August 2015 is a possibility. If so what would your advise be with regards to a plan? I am toying with this idea as a possibly, maybe, might do it. I have my first Oly scheduled for the first weekend in February 2015 then plan on doing a couple more tris after that. It all depends though if we have puppies early in the year.

Definitely possible. How you go about that all depends on how much you're willing to consistently train. And for now, the important thing is just to run consistently. That would be 5-7 days/week. I strongly recommend looking into the BarryP 3-2-1 program. You can start off with as little/easy as you need, and you'll figure out within a few weeks if you have the willingness/time to consistently run.

Another option is Galloway. However, I cannot stress enough that THIS IS NOT A RUNNING PROGRAM in a true sense. You WILL NOT improve your running. You WILL NOT improve your pace. You MAY NOT even improve your fitness. It's a low-mileage plan, much of which is walking, that's designed to get you to simply finish a marathon well below your capabilities so that you don't get injured. And it absolutely has to be followed to a T (do NOT increase your pace, do NOT fach with your run/walk ratio, do NOT change the mileages, etc.) or you WILL get injured. The upside is that it's one of the few (possibly only) ways to finish a marathon starting from essentially scratch, within a year, without a massive time commitment.

Yeah, it's plenty of time to be able to get through one. The question is more what you want to get out of it? What's driving the desire to do it?

i turn 40 next October and I've done FACH with my life, is that a good enough reason?

Haha! That would be a good reason.

Where I was going with that is sometimes people will go into a marathon to become a better runner. Many times it'll work because they'll end up running more than they have in the past, sometimes much more. The marathon itself isn't necessarily the best way to become faster at running, but they needed the big target to get the bunch of good running in. From your statement, you would seem more directly targeted at the marathon. Does the distinction make sense? And is that what you want? You can (and should) come back to these thoughts at times too. We all saw Judi's frustration with longer races and had some realizations about where she wanted to go. I've had some too in the past.

2014-10-02 9:16 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by Richardsdrr  I've signed up yesterday for a marathon in April after failing to get into the London Marathon in the ballot. I'm planning to use macmillan's running plan. It's plans are 12 weeks long and quite descriptive. The book is basically an updated version on Daniels. I find the use of his running calculator easier than referring back to vdot tables all the time. At the moment I'm in week three of his 4 week mileage base block, and am going to repeat that another time before moving on to 2 x 4 week workout prep, 2x 4 week speed prep, 2 x 4 week hill work. That should see me 15 weeks out from my marathon. I'm aiming for a sub 3.5 hour and have no other races planned before now and the marathon. Please manatees, keep me on the straight and narrow. I have the McMillan book on my Kindle. I'm sure there was a way I could lend it to you. Will have to try and work it out.

Darren, what differences are you seeing in the McMillan vs Daniels? Both have calculators available online and seem about the same to work to me. They have slight differences in how fast they think someone should run various types of workouts. Also McMillan tends to have more paces up as it seems he'll have someone run a shorter interval a little faster whereas Daniels will have a more constant pace for a certain type of workout.

I wasn't aware there was an online calculator for Daniels.

It's been a while since I've read both, so what I write may be complete arse, but anyway...from what I remember...

Both Daniels and McMillan build on Lydiard's school of thought, big base, slow miles to begin, followed by race specific training.

Daniels relies on HR to separate the different training zones whilst McMillan relies on pace (predicted pace).

Daniels plans are quite long, 24 weeks, compared to 12 weeks for McMillan.

Daniels uses the LSR as it's main endurance training, as per normal. McMillan builds on this by introducing Fast Finish long runs. He also prioritises quite a bit of steady state running(sub-threshold) compared to Daniels threshold runs. I imagine this to be akin to sweet spot training.

He does split intervals down further than Daniels, iirc.

McMillan also suggests doing a few speed work sessions before starting a plan for an endurance race. And vice versa, endurance work prior to starting a plan for a speed race.

I think the main difference between them though is that 50% ish of Mcmillans book is written to try to teach you how to adapt a plan best suited to the type of runner you are.
2014-10-02 9:16 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Matt, I had a problem finding the file location before. Easiest way I found them was using: Windows: Click the Windows Start menu / Windows Logo icon Click Run On Windows Vista / 7, users can type run in the search box and press enter Type %appdata% into the Run box Click OK (Windows Vista / 7 will automatically go to the Roaming folder) Open Garmin Open Devices Open the Unit ID folder Open History1 Mac: Open Finder Click Go from the Menu bar Press and hold the Option key on the keyboard Click Library Open Applications Support Open Garmin Open Devices Open the Unit ID folder Open History1

Of course - so straightforward. 

Thanks - will try this tonight!

Matt

2014-10-02 9:25 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by Richardsdrr As for my altitude quip, just shows my ignorance of USA geography.

If it helps, don't think geographical knowledge of any particular area matters in learning about the physiological adaptations of it. Recommending to go do it would be another matter. Someone like me is at around 800 ft. and it would take a full day of driving (or more) to get anywhere that is high enough for altitude training. Some rather hilly areas are closer, but they're not really up high enough to get the benefits of altitude training as described.

Cheers, I've become a bit mixed up in my understanding of altitude training benefits. I was under the impression that training/living at altitude and racing at sea level provides an advantage. After looking back into, I see what you're getting at. Ie. It's better to live at altitude, train and race at sea level, to see maximal benefits. Cheers for the clarification.
2014-10-02 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by StaceyK 

Haha! That would be a good reason.

Where I was going with that is sometimes people will go into a marathon to become a better runner. Many times it'll work because they'll end up running more than they have in the past, sometimes much more. The marathon itself isn't necessarily the best way to become faster at running, but they needed the big target to get the bunch of good running in. From your statement, you would seem more directly targeted at the marathon. Does the distinction make sense? And is that what you want? You can (and should) come back to these thoughts at times too. We all saw Judi's frustration with longer races and had some realizations about where she wanted to go. I've had some too in the past.

Stacey, since I read your posts I've been rolling things through my head, trying to figure out how to say what Ben so smartly stated. I think you can do it if "Doing It" is your goal. Much like Salty said to TJ, the HM and the Marathon are different beasts. However, if you are prepared, respect the distance, and do the work to get you there, then you would do wonderfully!

BTW, I nearly shot coffee out of my nose when I read your response!! You have brought a big smile to my otherwise dreary day.

2014-10-02 9:39 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Just had to delete a months worth of duplicate workouts from BT dragged over from Garmin. Ugh.
2014-10-02 9:42 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Just had to delete a months worth of duplicate workouts from BT dragged over from Garmin. Ugh.

Seems that mine just did this too. But thankfully it ONLY goes back about a month.

2014-10-02 9:50 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Originally posted by Richardsdrr As for my altitude quip, just shows my ignorance of USA geography.

If it helps, don't think geographical knowledge of any particular area matters in learning about the physiological adaptations of it. Recommending to go do it would be another matter. Someone like me is at around 800 ft. and it would take a full day of driving (or more) to get anywhere that is high enough for altitude training. Some rather hilly areas are closer, but they're not really up high enough to get the benefits of altitude training as described.

Cheers, I've become a bit mixed up in my understanding of altitude training benefits. I was under the impression that training/living at altitude and racing at sea level provides an advantage. After looking back into, I see what you're getting at. Ie. It's better to live at altitude, train and race at sea level, to see maximal benefits. Cheers for the clarification.

The racing back at sea level is probably still going to be faster. Exceptions would be in places like the south where they'll have monstrous heat & humidity to contend with. Hard to just drop right into that and expect to do well coming out of the thinner air, but it is possible if one can adapt to the conditions well enough.

And with the altitude, it does help to know what you're trying to get out of the training session too. Basic, easier workouts will be just fine up or down. The harder ones are where it becomes more of a concern. Some of the harder ones (VO2 ones in particular) won't be as effective in the thinner air because it's less of it. The major focus of those workouts is to improve the oxygen processing ability and it's harder to process more when there is less of it to work with. Some of the elites will actually do these indoors with oxygen masks on.

2014-10-02 10:09 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Just had to delete a months worth of duplicate workouts from BT dragged over from Garmin. Ugh.

Seems that mine just did this too. But thankfully it ONLY goes back about a month.

I didn't have that problem, but maybe that's because I couldn't get anything uploaded to Garmin for over a month.  Guess that was a good thing, even if it didn't seem like it at the time.

2014-10-02 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

The racing back at sea level is probably still going to be faster. Exceptions would be in places like the south where they'll have monstrous heat & humidity to contend with. Hard to just drop right into that and expect to do well coming out of the thinner air, but it is possible if one can adapt to the conditions well enough.

And with the altitude, it does help to know what you're trying to get out of the training session too. Basic, easier workouts will be just fine up or down. The harder ones are where it becomes more of a concern. Some of the harder ones (VO2 ones in particular) won't be as effective in the thinner air because it's less of it. The major focus of those workouts is to improve the oxygen processing ability and it's harder to process more when there is less of it to work with. Some of the elites will actually do these indoors with oxygen masks on.

The average elevation in Orlando is about 80 feet. That's about 71 feet higher than where I grew up (ft. Lauderdale). I can tell you that people coming here from high altitude places generally really suffer here because of the heat and humidity. A person I run with recently spent almost 2 months in Colorado. When he came back he was sure he was going to reap at least some benefits from working out at altitude. He was way wrong!

2014-10-02 10:41 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by 4agoodlife
Originally posted by ponderingfox

I don't know if you've seen it around the interwebs yet, but Garmin announced the new FR920XT today.  Gotta say, it's the tastiest tri watch I've ever seen.  I'm glad tri watches are finally getting thin.

Was just talking to J about this! Would probably lure us over.

I like the size and everything, but am getting a little tired of all the issues I've been having with my Garmin.  I don't know that I'll get another when it's time to let this one go.  The 920 does have a lot of features though.  Too bad it won't do my laundry.

I've not had any problem with Garmins, but that's probably because I use the tried and true 310XT and Edge 500.

2014-10-02 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

OK, I must have missed it, but how do you get that to work?

2014-10-02 12:39 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ponderingfox

OK, I must have missed it, but how do you get that to work?

To link them? Device Upload in Training Log Settings.

2014-10-02 12:43 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by cdban66

Maybe because it's premium? I wonder if I can switch it to regular and retain my data?

That's what I thought as well. Get in touch with TP and they should be able to retain your stuff. The only reason I use them is because it comes with the Timex and I want to have the data available to a coach if I ever go that route. OK, so that's 2 reasons. 

Best to check with TP to be sure, but I think they save all the files & entries in there. I think you'll still have access to it after dropping the subscription, just with reduced analysis tools as the free level is more basic. I haven't loaded anything into mine in maybe a year(?) and it's all still there, though I never had a paid for account.

I think that since the info from TP to BT is pretty basic I'll just do it manually until BT learns to talk to Garmin Connect.

I believe that might be up and running. Settings: Training Log Settings: Device Uploads.

Here Tom,
2014-10-02 12:48 PM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

The average elevation in Orlando is about 80 feet. That's about 71 feet higher than where I grew up (ft. Lauderdale). I can tell you that people coming here from high altitude places generally really suffer here because of the heat and humidity. A person I run with recently spent almost 2 months in Colorado. When he came back he was sure he was going to reap at least some benefits from working out at altitude. He was way wrong!

He may have actually gained a little fitness from it, but the loss of heat acclimation sure overrode anything that could have been picked up in 2 months!

2014-10-02 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

He may have actually gained a little fitness from it, but the loss of heat acclimation sure overrode anything that could have been picked up in 2 months!

I live, and train, at altitude. When I moved to south Georgia (long long ago) there were days that I could feel the benefit but I agree that on muggy days (i.e. breathing peanut butter) there wasn't much benefit. Now racing in California and Arizona or the like? I definitely feel the benefit. I feel like I could run for days and not get winded. Love it. That's part of why IMAZ is on my radar. Hmmmm, maybe I should look into a marathong in AZ instead of Colorado.... A but the Colorado Marathon looks so beautiful!

2014-10-02 1:42 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I didn't have that problem, but maybe that's because I couldn't get anything uploaded to Garmin for over a month.  Guess that was a good thing, even if it didn't seem like it at the time.

Hmmm. Thanks for the heads up. Got mine cleaned up. Had some busy days in there!

(crazy train(ing).bmp)

Attachments
----------------
crazy train(ing).bmp (1365KB - 1 downloads)
2014-10-02 1:52 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations Jonathan TX!

Adrienne - Ugh! Sorry to hear bout the nose and teeth. At least you get to recover in Japan.

Erin - New teeth!

Manatee Marathoners, oh my!

2014-10-02 2:09 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by jmkizer

Adrienne - Ugh! Sorry to hear bout the nose and teeth. At least you get to recover in Japan.

Erin - New teeth!

Yay, glad you're back. In your absence we've been doing silly stuff, like talking abou training and plans
Now, where be this weeks list ;-)
2014-10-02 2:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

Hmmm. Thanks for the heads up. Got mine cleaned up. Had some busy days in there!

"Crazy train(ing)"--hilarious!!  And wow, it looks like you did the Oktoberfest tri 5 times. You must have put in some more time after I left. You were so consistent with your times too.  Amazing! 

Edited by laffinrock 2014-10-02 2:16 PM

2014-10-02 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

"Crazy train(ing)"--hilarious!!  And wow, it looks like you did the Oktoberfest tri 5 times. You must have put in some more time after I left. You were so consistent with your times too.  Amazing! 

Yeah, ya know. I'm crazy like that

Well I tried to order the Advanced Marathoning book on Amazon and accidently got the Kindle version instead

2014-10-02 2:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Erin - New teeth!

YAY, Janyne feels up to hanging out in the pod madness!   Welcome back!!

Edited by melbo55 2014-10-02 2:52 PM
2014-10-02 3:10 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Erin - New teeth!

YAY, Janyne feels up to hanging out in the pod madness!   Welcome back!!

Oh good grief.  I totally missed that.  Glad to have you back, Janyne!!  How're you doing?

2014-10-02 4:19 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Wanna see a dirty picture?

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42781 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37739 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73046 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50799 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25952 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.