BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-12-02 10:05 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

OK, so it's a whole new thread - which means I'm only 24 pages behind!  Yes!!

Life having settled down a LITTLE, I'm planning to be more active here (and on the road/in the pool) if y'all'll (wait, is that a word?) have me.  I've missed the pod!

Decided Sunday night that I am going to train for my June tri (6/27 in Sweden).  Whether or not I get there, we'll see - will depend on work, family, finances, etc.  But, I'm going to start building for it now (and hope that I don't break anything in the process).

Looking forward to some structure again, and thinking about maaaaybe a coach (enjoyed reading y'alls' - wait, is that a word? - posts on the subject earlier in the thread.  See, I was still at least lurking!).  With the competing priorities in my life, I might need the help to keep on the rails.

Anywho, looking forward to keeping up with the Manatees (as best I can, at least).

Matt McManatee 

2014-12-02 10:10 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by cdban66

This time of year always makes me look back at the year in a retrospective light. It has been an interesting one, without a doubt. I should hit 1000 miles on the bike and could hit 575 running. This is a little less than last year, but after the ankle mess I had early in the year, I am quite happy with these numbers. More than that, this year has been another year that I am grateful to have a group of friends that continue to encourage and support each others athletic goals and accomplishments. But not only the athletic side, but even more so, the encouragement to be a better person.  You all have been a blessing and for that I want to say "Thank You" from the bottom of my heart!

Ditto to the group (as a lurker recently) and right back at you, in particular (glad to at least have kept up with you on Strava).

Well done on the totals, especially given the niggles, wonks and flat out messes of your year.  More important than the totals, though, is the process - which you've clearly enjoyed (or at least seem to have!!).

I find it interesting how this group has kept my head in the athletic (note, not just "tri") space, even when my body/schedule might have been a bit removed.  Something about Manatees...

Chris, very happy to have you as a pod-mate, mate!

Matt

2014-12-02 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back Matt!

I'm with you, I'm happy to have Chris as a pod-mate!

2014-12-02 10:45 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Welcome back Matt!

All y'all (the extent of the vernacular I have learned from my Texan inlaws) are too kind!

2014-12-02 10:49 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Welcome back Matt!

All y'all (the extent of the vernacular I have learned from my Texan inlaws) are too kind!

I'll be you know "Bless your/his/her heart."  That's a good Texan phrase. (Used elsewhere too but *definitely* in Texas.

I too am happy to have you as a pod-mate.  Your insightfulness and humor is always appreciated.

2014-12-02 10:52 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Life having settled down a LITTLE, I'm planning to be more active here (and on the road/in the pool) if y'all'll (wait, is that a word?) have me.  I've missed the pod!

Decided Sunday night that I am going to train for my June tri (6/27 in Sweden).  Whether or not I get there, we'll see - will depend on work, family, finances, etc.  But, I'm going to start building for it now (and hope that I don't break anything in the process).

Looking forward to some structure again, and thinking about maaaaybe a coach (enjoyed reading y'alls' - wait, is that a word? - posts on the subject earlier in the thread.  See, I was still at least lurking!).  With the competing priorities in my life, I might need the help to keep on the rails.

Anywho, looking forward to keeping up with the Manatees (as best I can, at least).

Matt McManatee 

Welcome back, Matt!!  I've really been liking my coach so far.  She reads my TP notes every week, sends me an email responding to questions I post there, tailors my workouts to what I have going on, and pushes me just enough.  We've already done a video run analysis, which was very enlightening.  This weekend will be the swim analysis.  I'm almost afraid to find out all the things I'm doing wrong!!

2014-12-02 11:14 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by laffinrock

Welcome back Matt!

I'll be you know "Bless your/his/her heart."  That's a good Texan phrase. (Used elsewhere too but *definitely* in Texas.

I too am happy to have you as a pod-mate.  Your insightfulness and humor is always appreciated.

Awwww, bless your heart, this has been covered before sweetie
2014-12-02 11:17 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Lauren wrote a pretty cool blog post about our race a week ago: http://asklaurenfleshman.com/2014/12/a-return-to-cross-country/

Did you see this one in RW:

http://t.co/9XCFkBAchs

Pretty interesting stuff...

Excellent. She is the reason I even read anything from RW. Seriously.

"it became a testing ground for courage in the face of adversity. A challenge to show up, even when things are crappy and your dreams are falling apart. Finishing that race in last place was the single proudest moment of my athletic career, and something I never want to experience again."

I love this. And it certainly resonates...

So this weekend my coach sent me an e-mail that basically said, "Welcome back Adrienne"

I finally had a race where I felt like the old me. Hopefully I can channel some of that for the marathon. 

I would not be surprised if she retires from the pro ranks and truly begins to search out some other objectives. No matter what, it will be interesting.

33 is in Adrienne's AG, right?

1. No way in hell is she going to retire yet. Her being at our meet was a clear sign. She is trying to make the worlds team for XC. We'll see how that goes and what it turns into.

2. She IS in my AG but as it turns out, almost all of my races "AG" is 0-39 or "open" so, everyone running as an open athlete is in my age group  

2014-12-02 11:17 AM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Matt McManatee 

Welcome back Matt!!!!!! 

2014-12-02 11:26 AM

User image

Seattle

This time of year always makes me look back at the year in a retrospective light. It has been an interesting one, without a doubt. I should hit 1000 miles on the bike and could hit 575 running. This is a little less than last year, but after the ankle mess I had early in the year, I am quite happy with these numbers. More than that, this year has been another year that I am grateful to have a group of friends that continue to encourage and support each others athletic goals and accomplishments. But not only the athletic side, but even more so, the encouragement to be a better person.  You all have been a blessing and for that I want to say "Thank You" from the bottom of my heart!

And thank you, Chris! Those are some great numbers with everything being said.

I love this time of year. I really look forward to the reflection as well as goal-setting for the new year.

I think this was one of those "valley" years where everything is a struggle. But the one thing I know from observation and experience is that if you keep at it, a peak will come. I'm going to likely hit 3,000 miles of running this year and they were some of the most beautiful and adventure-filled miles I could have ever dreamed of. 

I'm hashing out specific goals but for now I really want to keep focusing on goals vs expectations, exploration (on a variety of levels,) and continuing to be an ambassador of my sport. 

2014-12-02 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Thanks Chris, you are always so encouraging and supportive; it is a pleasure to be in the same support group as you

Looking back at my numbers I am surprised to see even with my lock down/s I have run more miles than last year. Although, I guess that makes sense since my shoulder shut me out of biking and swimming the first part of July, so I had more time to run.

I am looking forward to figuring out what my race schedule will be next year. I'm already planning on more trail races and there is a little voice in my head trying to talk me into doing another marathon. I'm ignoring now!!

2014-12-02 12:20 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by amd723

Thanks Chris, you are always so encouraging and supportive; it is a pleasure to be in the same support group as you

Looking back at my numbers I am surprised to see even with my lock down/s I have run more miles than last year. Although, I guess that makes sense since my shoulder shut me out of biking and swimming the first part of July, so I had more time to run.

I am looking forward to figuring out what my race schedule will be next year. I'm already planning on more trail races and there is a little voice in my head trying to talk me into doing another marathon. I'm ignoring now!!

We should all post our tentative race schedules (including long shot stuff we are only kind of considering) and talk about it together. I think it would be cool to see what everyone is thinking about. 

2014-12-02 12:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Lauren wrote a pretty cool blog post about our race a week ago: http://asklaurenfleshman.com/2014/12/a-return-to-cross-country/

"it became a testing ground for courage in the face of adversity. A challenge to show up, even when things are crappy and your dreams are falling apart. Finishing that race in last place was the single proudest moment of my athletic career, and something I never want to experience again."

So this weekend my coach sent me an e-mail that basically said, "Welcome back Adrienne"

I finally had a race where I felt like the old me. Hopefully I can channel some of that for the marathon. 

I would not be surprised if she retires from the pro ranks and truly begins to search out some other objectives. No matter what, it will be interesting.

1. No way in hell is she going to retire yet. Her being at our meet was a clear sign. She is trying to make the worlds team for XC. We'll see how that goes and what it turns into.

2. She IS in my AG but as it turns out, almost all of my races "AG" is 0-39 or "open" so, everyone running as an open athlete is in my age group  

Far be it from me to disagree with you, as you do have a better perspective. 

However, in the article she mentions this, "One final moment. The highlight of the whole weekend wasn’t the race, even though it was the entire reason I went to Seattle in the first place. The highlight was earlier that morning. Oatmeal and coffee appear in front of me with a smile before Sally heads out the door for her long run."

I think she is starting to get her long range plan into focus a bit. That can be exciting and un-nerving all at the same time. Think about how much your life would change if you changed careers. Trust me, it can be a big deal. Or if you changed any of the important stuff in life like where you live or work. Ask Matt or Monica. Or had a child even.  Her perspective on it looks truly positive, which makes it easier no doubt, as does the fact that she is already involved with Picky Bars and other companies as well. But it is still a big deal, and if you are used to having things dialed in at a very detailed level like a pro athlete does, this is the kind of thing that could be fairly large, just simply due to the unknown.

So, given your statement in conjunction with my belief, I will hedge my bets by giving her a couple more years before any "retirement" announcement comes out.

ETA: I have to say that her blog post and her article really made me like her more. The level of thought and caring that comes from her is nice to see.

Edited by cdban66 2014-12-02 12:31 PM
2014-12-02 12:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

We should all post our tentative race schedules (including long shot stuff we are only kind of considering) and talk about it together. I think it would be cool to see what everyone is thinking about. 

Yikes, I am barely able to get through the next month, I'm not sure about next year's races and beyond. 

ETA: I had to go back to this, because now you got me thinking. Darn You!!!

Edited by cdban66 2014-12-02 12:35 PM
2014-12-02 12:46 PM

User image

Seattle

Far be it from me to disagree with you, as you do have a better perspective. 

However, in the article she mentions this, "One final moment. The highlight of the whole weekend wasn’t the race, even though it was the entire reason I went to Seattle in the first place. The highlight was earlier that morning. Oatmeal and coffee appear in front of me with a smile before Sally heads out the door for her long run."

I think she is starting to get her long range plan into focus a bit. That can be exciting and un-nerving all at the same time. Think about how much your life would change if you changed careers. Trust me, it can be a big deal. Or if you changed any of the important stuff in life like where you live or work. Ask Matt or Monica. Or had a child even.  Her perspective on it looks truly positive, which makes it easier no doubt, as does the fact that she is already involved with Picky Bars and other companies as well. But it is still a big deal, and if you are used to having things dialed in at a very detailed level like a pro athlete does, this is the kind of thing that could be fairly large, just simply due to the unknown.

So, given your statement in conjunction with my belief, I will hedge my bets by giving her a couple more years before any "retirement" announcement comes out.

ETA: I have to say that her blog post and her article really made me like her more. The level of thought and caring that comes from her is nice to see.

Yeah, ok. I think we are on the same page. I think you are correct, that it's going to be sooner than later. But not yet.

I hope that Kara can find similar success outside of running as well... but that's another topic

But back to Lauren, it's funny, in that article you posted her quote when pondering what she really wants she says this: "...Addicted to achievement? Insecure about my life outside of sport? Why do it?"  

Personally, I have always been very critical of athletes that retire and then come back to sport, likely because of the things she brings up. I've always  been baffled that they can't find contentment and pleasure in their lives once they leave competition. But then again, I have never been that kind of competitor and of course, not been on that kind of a stage. I imagine it's quite addicting. Anyway, I am glad she is thinking about these things, and that is exactly why I respect her so much as an athlete and a human being. And at the same time I am being totally hypocritical in wanting her to continue on. And I think that is because I don't want Oiselle to be a place competitive women go to retire and be mommies and say feel good things. I want Oiselle to be that AND produce fierce competitors and show the world we can be savvy, competitive, compassionate and family oriented. Sh*t I want it all don't I?

2014-12-02 12:48 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Thanks Chris, you are always so encouraging and supportive; it i, s a pleasure to be in the same support group as you

Oooh, this is a good opportunity to run something by you all (y'all). A friend asked if I'd be interested in doing a HM in Moab in March. My niece is doing the same race. My training schedule that weekend is a 15k race simulation and a 17 mile easy run. The travel timing may not be great, with DS2's graduation from basic in the same timeframe. I really want to do right by my marathon training but not sure I can find the right distances for the race sims. Thoughts?

As for the rest of the season... no idea. My sole focus is my Marathon in May.

2014-12-02 12:54 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Yikes, I am barely able to get through the next month, I'm not sure about next year's races and beyond. 

So far...
8/3/15 half Mara.
29/3/15 20 mile race.
19/4/15. Marathon.
Gunning for a sub 3:30. Flat course, about 25m total elev gain, so should be doable. Depends on weather as it's a coastal marathon.

May, family hols.
July Long Course Weekend Tenby. Possibly only do the half marathon instead of full, or may run full conservatively.
Aug Possibly look for a hilly HIM Distance.
Sept IM Wales
Oct (Hopefully) Bask in my achievements
2014-12-02 12:54 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

Thanks Chris, you are always so encouraging and supportive; it i, s a pleasure to be in the same support group as you

Oooh, this is a good opportunity to run something by you all (y'all). A friend asked if I'd be interested in doing a HM in Moab in March. My niece is doing the same race. My training schedule that weekend is a 15k race simulation and a 17 mile easy run. The travel timing may not be great, with DS2's graduation from basic in the same timeframe. I really want to do right by my marathon training but not sure I can find the right distances for the race sims. Thoughts?

You mean 15K race on a sat and then an easy 17-miler on Sunday?

If so, that would totally work. I'd do the HM in Lieu of the 15K simulation and shoot for 15-17 the next day. 

Do you have experience with big days in a row btw? 

2014-12-02 12:58 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

So far... 8/3/15 half Mara. 29/3/15 20 mile race. 19/4/15. Marathon. Gunning for a sub 3:30. Flat course, about 25m total elev gain, so should be doable. Depends on weather as it's a coastal marathon. May, family hols. July Long Course Weekend Tenby. Possibly only do the half marathon instead of full, or may run full conservatively. Aug Possibly look for a hilly HIM Distance. Sept IM Wales Oct (Hopefully) Bask in my achievements

Beautiful! You won't go into that Mary under-raced, that is for sure! I think those races are all spaced nicely but don't burn yourself out. Are you planning on "A" race type of caliber on the HM and 20-miler or is it going to be more of a progression  into the full?

2014-12-02 1:01 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, since I'm no running expert.  I'd be inclined to do the race, but not necessarily race the race.  The next day, a nice shake-out run at the easy pace you are to run, maybe not the full 17 but maybe 15?  Again, just what I think  I might do.  Of course, the race plan would be out the window if it ended up being DS2's grad weekend.

2014-12-02 1:03 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

I agree with Chris, Matt and Ann-Marie - this is a very special group of people that it is a pleasure to know and 'hang out with' virtually.  Everyone, and I do mean everyone, has something wonderful to offer whether it be from an athletic/tri standpoint or just as a person, and it's great to be a manatee!  Thanks, everybody!

2014-12-02 1:13 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

2015 race thoughts:

Jan/Feb/Mar - considering the Frozen Foot 5K series, 1 race per month

April -
- Yuenging Lager Jogger 5K (hopefuly actually 'racing' it this year, but otherwise this is a 'fun' race)
- not tri related but possibly Lake Placid ice hockey tournament if it doesn't conflict with the HIM or HIM training
- St. Luke's half marathon (hopefully finally having the successful HIM I've been striving for)

May - Got the Nerve sprint tri

June - Syracuse 70.3 (*gulp* my goal race, the highlight of my season)

July -
- possibly Catfish sprint tri if coach OKs it and if it doesn't conflict with Steelman
- Steelman 5K swim (another gulp, this will be a big deal for me)

The rest of the season is unplanned, with my main races being mentioned above.  More than likely I'll pick up another sprint or Oly somewhere in August or September.

2014-12-02 1:14 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by laffinrock

Welcome back Matt!

Awwww, bless your heart, this has been covered before sweetie

This nearly made me spit out my Earl Grey tea!

2014-12-02 1:16 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
2014-12-02 1:25 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

So far... 8/3/15 half Mara. 29/3/15 20 mile race. 19/4/15. Marathon. Gunning for a sub 3:30. Flat course, about 25m total elev gain, so should be doable. Depends on weather as it's a coastal marathon. May, family hols. July Long Course Weekend Tenby. Possibly only do the half marathon instead of full, or may run full conservatively. Aug Possibly look for a hilly HIM Distance. Sept IM Wales Oct (Hopefully) Bask in my achievements

Beautiful! You won't go into that Mary under-raced, that is for sure! I think those races are all spaced nicely but don't burn yourself out. Are you planning on "A" race type of caliber on the HM and 20-miler or is it going to be more of a progression  into the full?

I'm thinking race the HM as a predictor for Mara pace. Then use that pace in the 20 miler to test for the full. All races are held at roughly the same location, by the same company, so I should be able to iron out any probs.
I've just finished week 12 of base training at the moment. Looking at doing another 4 week block of hill prep followed by 2x3 weeks of speed prep in to 10 weeks Mara specific training.
I think I may well exceed the 3:30 target judging by my progress recently, but I'm not counting my chickens. Will see closer to the day and ask for advice closer to the day.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 63309 Posts: 2563

2014-10-29 8:19 AM IndoIronYanti

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42677 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72969 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50691 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25866 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.